Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N JKR is the catalyst to all of the fanfiction authors and I'm just so glad she lets us react to her. ;)

For those who left reviews for the last chapter that were unanswered, something is wrong with my account and hopefully we'll get that fixed soon. I did get them and I will respond as soon as possible.




All of the students woke up late the day after exams had finished as Dumbledore had announced to the DA and the entire school that it was to be a day of rest from all work.

Harry lay in bed, his glasses askew, hair rumpled, and wearing clothes from the previous day. He slept on with his mouth slightly dropped open, breathing deeply. At his side sat Ginny, staring down at him, waiting for him to wake. Finally, she gently nudged him.

"Harry, wake up."

He didn't move so Ginny pushed him a little harder.

"Harry, it's time to get up!"

Harry kind of twitched but his eyes didn't open. Ginny pushed him so he rolled over but still there was no response. In frustration, she grabbed the edge of the mattress and flipped him over.

With a yelp, he landed on the floor in a twisted mess of bed sheets. Bleary eyed, he looked around for the offender. On the opposite side of the bed sat Ginny, her hand clamped over her mouth to keep from giggling out loud.

"What was that for?" Harry demanded.

"I am so sorry," laughed Ginny. "I never knew that you were such a heavy sleeper!"

"Usually I'm not," Harry said, righting himself and tossing his blankets on the bed in a messy bundle. "Where is everyone?" he added, looking around the empty dormitory.

"Lunch," Ginny replied. "It's 1:00. Don't worry," she added, seeing his shocked expression. "We all slept in." Turning around, and heading for the door, she called back, "Go ahead and change, then meet me downstairs."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Five minutes later, Harry came bounding down the staircase. "What are we going to do today?" he asked, bending down to tie his shoelaces.

Ginny shrugged. "I thought we might have a picnic or go flying. Maybe even both."

"Sounds good," Harry replied, straightening up, he held his hand out to her. "Let's go."

Hand in hand, they walked around the school grounds, catching up on the news from the past week.

"That potions exam was dreadful," Ginny said as they walked around the shores of the lake. "I didn't do too badly but it was intense."

"Yeah, well at least Snape doesn't hate you," Harry pointed out. "I heard him admit to McGonagall, albeit grudgingly, that you were the best in your year by far."

Ginny laughed. "I'm a Gryffindor. It's written in the unwritten code that Snape has to hate me."

"Written in the unwritten code?" Harry repeated and Ginny shrugged.

"I've been testing all week long. I'm allowed to say things that don't make sense."

"Just by being a girl you're given that right," Harry retorted.

"Hey!" Ginny gave him a playful shove, then took off running.

"Come back here!" Harry gave chase. He followed her to the trees on the outskirts of the forest until he caught up near Hagrid's Hut. Glancing back at him, she slipped on a tree root, then fell to the ground and stuck one foot out in front of his feet. Harry fell to the ground beside her.

They both lay on their backs, panting, trying to catch their breath between spasms of laughter.

"Oh, Harry," Ginny said, breathlessly. "I love-"

Harry's heart skipped a beat as Ginny paused.

"Summertime," she finished, quickly. Harry shut his eyes, disappointed.

"I guess we better set up lunch," Ginny said hastily.

"I guess," Harry replied, trying to keep his voice level.

"Accio picnic!" Ginny said, waving her wand. A basket and blanket came zooming off of Hagrid's porch, then laid itself out in perfect order.

"Did Hagrid make us lunch?" Harry asked warily.

"No," replied Ginny.

"Then how'd you know to leave it there?"

"I Saw it," she said, casually pulling out two bottles of butterbeer.

"You mean, in a vision?"

"No, not really." Noticing his confused look, she explained.

"It's not like a full vision, it's more like . . . a glimpse into a future. I Saw us here and thought it would be a great place for a picnic."

"Ah," Harry said, grinning. "Well, did you See this?" He moved quickly to kiss her.

"Ginny smiled as he pulled back. "I must say, I did not. However, I did See that." She pointed behind Harry. Turning around, he saw Ron and Hermione walking towards them.

"And I saw that, you cad," Ron joked. "Taking liberties with my sister, are you?"

Hermione elbowed him in the side. "Ignore him," she said to Harry and Ginny. "Got room for two more?"

"You know you're always welcome," Harry said. "That is, if Ginny packed enough."

"Come on," Ginny said, patting the ground. "Pull up a piece of blanket."

The four sat there for a long time, enjoying the peace. They talked about everything and nothing, basking in the warmth of the sun and their friendship. When the food was gone and every topic of conversation had been exhausted, Harry stood up.

"Anyone interested in getting out the brooms now?" he asked.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After summoning their broomsticks, they took off into the air. The wind rushed through Harry's hair and he closed his eyes, enjoying it. After some time, he heard Ron calling from below.

"Hey Harry! We're setting up a little race. Do you want to join in?"

Harry flew to where Ron hovered with the girls.

"What's the terms?" he asked.

"Girl's versus boys," Hermione said. "A relay around the grounds."

"The losers will have to spend one whole day enslaved to the winners," Ginny added. "Dawn to dusk."

"Do you accept these terms?" finished Ron.

Harry grinned. "Let's go."

"Alright," said Hermione, business-like. "We start from above Hagrid's house, circle the Owlery, loop the four outermost towers of Hogwarts, circle the Quidditch pitch twice, fly straight to the edge of the forest, then turn and head back to Hagrid's. After tagging your teammate, they will then do the same. The winner is the first team back. I'll go first on out side."

Ron nudged Harry with a smile. "I'll race the obsessive bookworm."

"Hey!" Hermione protested. "You'd better watch it, Ron, or Ginny and I will figure out how to set a permanent bat-bogey hex on you."

"I'd like to see you try, Little Miss Perfect!" Ron shot back.

Ginny and Harry rolled their eyes at each other.

"Enough of this you two," Ginny said. "Are you ready? On your mark, get set, GO!"

Hermione and Ron sped away. Hermione took an early lead as Ron forgot to loop the Owlery. Sheepishly he flew back and circled it.

"Come on Hermione!" screamed Ginny. "You can do it!"

"Get a move on, Ron!" bellowed Harry. "You're falling behind!"

Harry and Ginny caught glimpses of them as they wound about the turrets, then headed to the quidditch pitch. By the time Hermione finished her second round, Ron had finished his first.

"Come on!" called Ginny, her hand outstretched. Breathlessly, Hermione tagged her and Ginny flew off. Seconds later, Ron arrived and touched Harry's reaching fingers.

Ginny had reached the Owlery by now but Harry had a much faster broom. He leaned against the handle of his Firebolt to make himself as aerodynamic as possible. Birds scattered as he practically hugged the stone wall. Ahead of him, Ginny flew swiftly between the high towers. She was only ahead of him by a little bit.

When they flew to the pitch, they were practically neck and neck. Not even bothering to look at each other, they faced straight ahead. As they rounded about the stands a second time, however, Harry saw something hovering over Hogsmeade that made his blood run chill and he stopped quickly.

"Ginny!" he screamed. She pulled to a stop and spun around.

"What is it?" she called back. As he pointed, she followed his gaze.

There in the bright sunlight, floating like and evil cloud above the village was a terrifying greenish skull, a snake protruding from its mouth.

"No," Ginny whispered. "No, no, no, it can't be!"

Hermione and Ron flew over.

"Why did you guys. . ." Ron stopped as Hermione let out a scream.

"It's the Dark Mark!" Harry said horrified. "Death Eaters! Someone is dead!"




And with that happy tone I will leave you. No one really knows when chapter 43 will be up, it still needs some tweaking. It will definitely be a longer chapter than usual though and I thank you all for your patience. Here's a lovely little spoiler!

Harry narrowed his eyes. "I'm going to do something that a foul git like you could never understand."

Malfoy's eyes grew wide.


Mwahaha!

*I have found the majority of the unanswered reviews scattered throughout my some 800 reviews and have responded to all I could find. There are a couple that are MIA but I will continue the search. Thanks for your patience*