Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N Thanks to your dedication in reviews, this one will be up much faster than the previous one.

The level of intensity of this fic will be increasing over the next few chapters so bear with me.

As always, much of this belongs to Ms. Rowling.




"At this very minute, Death Eaters are coming closer to the entrance." Harry stood in front of the DA, his eyes blazing. "We have to fight now. You've all been trained and if I didn't think you were prepared, I wouldn't let you risk this."

"We cannot hope to win with a full-scale attack," Ginny said. "Our best hope is in hiding, then attacking from behind."

"It must be done as silently as possible," cut in Ron. "We don't want the other Death Eaters alerted to our presence for as long as possible."

"And most importantly," finished Hermione, "We must keep the Death Eaters from attacking the students. Many of them know Hogwarts as well as we do so we must be doubly quick."

"Everyone on with the Disillusionment Charm and take up your positions," Harry said.

The members of the DA had stood silently while their leaders spoke. Without saying a word, they scattered to their positions, disillusioning themselves as they went.

"Harry," whispered Hermione. "Shouldn't we send someone to alert Snape?"

"Do you trust him?" Harry responded angrily.

"Yes."

Harry spun his head to look at Ginny who had spoken.

"Yes," she repeated. "I do."

"Now isn't the time to be proud," Ron added.

Harry looked at his friends determined faces, then snapped, "Dobby!"

The house-elf appeared, bowing low.

"Tell Snape," he paused, then continued. "Tell him that the Death Eaters are about to gain entrance into the school. Tell him that he's needed."

Dobby nodded and disappeared.

"Now quickly," Harry urged. "Our of sight."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was the longest five minutes Harry had ever faced. His heart was racing and he could feel Ginny's rapid breathing on his neck. Seconds passed by like hours until at last he heard the grating sound of the secret passage being opened and the light swish of cloaks as the Death Eaters stepped into the hallway.

"Follow me," came a squeaky, familiar voice. Harry's wand hand twitched as Pettigrew spoke. Ginny laid her hand on his.

"Now's not the time," she breathed softly and Harry relaxed.

"Split up," Pettigrew said. "You two, stay behind and guard the entrance."

The footsteps pattered away as the two guards moved back to the one-eyed witch.

"Attutire!" whispered Harry.

"Stupefy!" Ginny uttered the word twice and the Death Eaters fell back, stunned. The cushioning charm Harry had cast silenced their falls.

"Two down," Ron whispered, creeping out while Hermione put the two Death Eaters in the Full Body Bind.

"I guess we split up, too," Harry said after he and Ron had dragged the bodies into the secret passage.

"Take care of my sister." Ron hugged Ginny. "Both of you, take care."

"And you," Ginny said.

Ron and Hermione headed down the hall and Harry and Ginny went the other way. Harry pulled out the Marauders Map once more.

"How many are there?" Ginny asked quietly.

"Around 30 or 40," Harry replied. "Far more than we have."

"We have the advantage, though," Ginny said. "They don't know we're looking for them."

Harry squeezed her hand. "I hope you're right."

They proceeded down the staircase before coming to another pair of Death Eaters. Harry and Ginny crept closer to get a better shot when Harry accidentally bumped into a suit of armor. With a crash, the ax fell to the floor.

Jumping, the Death Eaters swirled around.

"Who's there?" called out the first. It was a voice Harry didn't recognize, as was the woman who elbowed him.

"Quiet!" she hissed.

Harry and Ginny stood as close to the wall as possible, knowing that any movement could give away the Disillusionment Charm.

"Crucio!" cried out the woman, suddenly and a jet of light flew out, hitting Ginny. The Charm fell as she collapsed screaming.

"Stupefy!" Harry bellowed. Ginny's screaming stopped as the female Death Eater was stunned. In the following silence, Harry quickly stunned the other and ran to Ginny.

"Are you alright?" he asked, pulling her up. She clung to him briefly before nodding.

"Not as bad as a vision," she said, making a weak attempt at humor. "Let's go. Someone will have heard that."

They ran down the hallway and took a right, Harry helping her as she stumbled a little.

Continuing down the passage, they turned down the corridor where the Defense Against the Dark Arts class was held.

Around ten Death Eaters were standing and waiting for them. Harry and Ginny raised their wands defensively and were greeted by a chorus of laughter.

"Take their wands." Harry recognized the drawl at once as their wands were wrenched from their grasp.

"Pleasure to see you again, Malfoy," Harry said, letting venom drip into his voice. "Must be a change better than Azkaban. We dealt with your ferret earlier. What a disappointment."

"Yes," Lucius said coldly. "Draco has been apprehended and will be suitably punished for his misconduct. But where are all of your other little friends?" he asked, glancing to Ginny. "Although this one is quite pretty. Such a pity that the Dark Lord will destroy her." He wrapped one of her curls around his finger. As he did so, Ginny drew back and spit squarely into his face.

"You're vermin," she said contemptuously. "You and your son."

Lucius wiped his eye and leered at her. "Once a Blood Traitor, always a Blood Traitor."

"There's nothing else that I would rather be," Ginny retorted.

"Indeed. Well, Famous Harry Potter, you have an appointment with the Dark Lord to keep. He would hate for you to miss it."

Harry and Ginny were pushed down the corridor roughly.

"Activate your coin," Ginny whispered.

"Not yet," Harry responded, earning a blow to the head by one of the Death Eaters leading him. He tripped slightly, seeing stars.

Coming down the staircase leading to the Great Hall, Harry reached into his pocket and fingered his coin, whispering an incantation. He felt it grow hot, then winked at Ginny.

"This way," grunted the huge Death Eater guiding Ginny. They were practically dragged out the door where standing in the moonlight on the other side was Severus Snape.

"So, you succeeded in catching Potter and the Weasley girl. Where are Pettigrew and the others?" Snape sounded merely bored.

"You know the Dark Lord only pretends that Wormtail is in charge of this. It was only a way to get that rat away." Lucius response was clipped.

"And Bellatrix?"

"Leading the attack in Hogsmeade of course. She'll be here soon."

"Excellent," Snape said, grinning greasily.

"What?" Harry's jaw dropped open and Snape chuckled.

"Dumbledore trusted you!" shrieked Ginny.

"Dumbledore likes to put his faith in hopeless causes. He thinks that he can save everyone."

"I knew better, though," Harry said. "I've never trusted you."

"Yes, but your opinions about me never mattered to him, did they? No, he has always put such unfailing trust in poor, misguided Severus."

"Enough of this!" Lucius barked. "As much as we all, no doubt, enjoy watching you battle it out with a sixteen year old, we have another purpose tonight. What were the Dark Lord's orders?"

"Leave the boy and girl with me," Snape said. "You are to return to the school and flush the rest of Potter's little band out. I can only hope that you will be up to the task."

"As the Dark Lord commands, then," Lucius snarled, his lip curling into a sneer. "Let's go," he added to the Death Eaters behind him. They disappeared back into the building.

Snape grabbed Harry's arm roughly. "With me," he hissed, dragging them off.

"All this time," Harry said, gritting his teeth. "You're nothing but a liar and that's the worst kind of coward."

Snape didn't answer; only continued to pull them towards the forest.

"Take me to Voldemort then!" Harry said defiantly. "I'm ready to meet him!"

"Oh no, Potter," Snape finally said, without glancing back. "It's not time for you to face him."

"That's where your'e taking us though, isn't it! said Ginny.

Again, Snape didn't answer. They had reached the forest by now.

"You know that you can't win!" Harry said. "You and your mate Voldemort. Dumbledore will destroy you both!"

"Silence!" roared Snape. "Dumbledore knows that he cannot destroy the Dark Lord. It is not his task. As for me, once the Dark Lord hears of my treachery to him, I will become yet another victim of his rage. I am already destroyed."

"Your treachery to him?!" Harry said indignantly.

"Who are you really?" Ginny asked.

Snape suddenly stopped short.

"I told you that Dumbledore likes to put his faith in hopeless causes. I've never yet known the man to be wrong."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "I don't trust you."

"And I don't like you," Snape responded. "Yet here I stand, once more saving your life. There's a Portkey that will take you away from the battle."

"We're not running!" Ginny exclaimed.

"Our friends are back there fighting!" Harry protested. "We have to help them!"

"Your pitiful life is worth more than their's, Potter!" Snape said. "It's you and you alone who can defeat the Dark Lord!"

"Without them I have no reason to fight!" Harry wrenched his arm from Snape's grasp.

"Don't think that I will mistake your stupidity for heroism, boy!"

"We know that your'e only trying to protect us," Ginny said. "You just don't understand-"

"Understand what? Friendship? Loyalty?"

"We don't have time for this!" With no warning, Harry bolted back towards the school. Ginny raised her wand at Snape and uttered the incantation for her infamous Bat-Bogey Hex. Snape yelped as muck splattered his face.

"I'm sorry," Ginny said, backing away. "But I do trust you." Then she turned and caught up with Harry.

As they arrived at the edge of the forest, they saw flashes of light on the school grounds.

"Come on," Harry whispered, holding Ginny's hand. "Now, we fight."

Ginny squeezed Harry's hand. "I'll find you after."

Harry nodded and wands raised, they rushed into the heat of the battle.




Whew! That took a bit ot typing! I can't believe I typed it in one sitting, that's a first for me. I hope you enjoyed this because in forty-five, all you know what breaks loose!

She raised her wand to stun him but a flash of green light exploded in her face.

Chew on that for awhile. I'm going to have to get the next one up soon, or you all will kill me!

Warning, the next chapter will be highly intense so be prepared.