Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To See You Through The Dark by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N Everything here written in black is me playing with the wonderful creations of JKR.




Harry hurried to the Great Hall. He was late for breakfast and knowing that school schedules were being handed out, he didn't want to miss it. As he approached, he could hear the familiar clatter of spoons and forks, and voices that were raised in excitement. Hurrying down Gryffindor Table, he stopped at the empty seat next to Ginny and across from Hermione. Ron was nowhere in sight.

"So," said Hermione casually. "I hear Ron kind of threw a bit of a tantrum this morning."

"Oh, it wasn't just a tantrum. For a minute, I was positive that he was going to curse me." Harry sipped his orange juice before continuing. "I don't know why he's so upset. Last year on the train, he seemed to be all for me and Ginny dating. Now he thinks I'm the scum of the earth."

"Same here," Ginny said. "Ever since Michael and I broke up, he's been dropping hints here and there. You would think he would be welcoming you into the family by now."

Hermione clucked her tongue. She looked almost pityingly at the two of them. "Listen, I know he's your best friend, Harry, and he's your brother, Ginny. But you don't understand Ron at all."

"Oh?" Ginny said. "And I suppose you do?"

"Well, not entirely," Hermione admitted. "I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Ron likes to feel needed and important. He just wishes that the two of you would have told him first."

"That's ridiculous!" Ginny cried. "He doesn't need to know everything that I do. I'm not a child! He doesn't have the right to-"

"I know, I know," Hermione soothed. "But that's the way he feels, and nothing we say or do can help that."

At this point, their conversation was cut short by the arrival of their schedules. Harry skimmed over his. Charms, Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions...Potions! His heart almost stopped. Over the summer, he'd given little thought to the classes he would have to take so he could start Auror training at the end of the seventh year. Inwardly, he groaned at the thought of the extra hours he'd be forced to spend with Snape. And 5 classes a week, for ever since narrowing them down, he had the same classes every day.

"So, Hermione," Ginny asked, "What did you decide you were gonna do after Hogwarts?"

"Actually," Hermione said, blushing a little, "I was thinking of taking a job here at Hogwarts. I received Outstanding on all my OWLs, so it shouldn't really be difficult to be hired on."

"I'm still surprised that Snape passed me into his class again," Harry said.

"Ron as well," Hermione said. "The two of you weren't exactly the best students in his class."

Harry smiled. "Well, at least we don't have to take Divination anymore. No more Professor Trelawney standing behind me, breathing down my neck, and predicting my death at least four times a week."

Ginny giggled. "Oh well. By observing you guys, I came to the conclusion that Divination was a load of rubbish. Anyway, it being my OWL year, I don't need stupid classes that waste my time."

Looking at her watch, Hermione jumped. "Oh my goodness! It's almost time for class, and I don't have my book bag with me!" With a hurried goodbye, she rushed out of the Great Hall.

"I'll see you later," Ginny said, giving Harry a quick kiss.

"Eat lunch with me?" he asked, catching her hand as she started to walk away.

She smiled. "You can count on it." And with a wink, she went on to class.

Harry whistled as he headed towards Transfiguration. When he arrived at the classroom, it was half full. Neither Hermione, nor, as Harry was pleased to see, Ron, had arrived yet. He picked a seat and sat down.

"Hi, Neville," he said to the boy in front of him.

"Hey, Harry," Neville replied, turning around. "Have a good summer?"

"It was alright," Harry said. "You?"

"It was okay. Of course, Gran wasn't too happy about the whole Ministry thing, but she stopped yelling around July or so."

"Yeah. About that, Neville. I'm sorry that I dragged you all into that mess, especially since I had no real reason to go."

Neville's eyes widened. "No reason? You thought your godfather was being tortured by You-Know-Who and you went to save him! I think that's reason enough." He looked over to his right. "Hey, Hermione," he said.

"Hullo, Neville," she replied. "Did you get your internship?"

"Internship?" Harry questioned.

"At St. Mungo's," Neville said proudly. "Yeah, it was great."

As Hermione and Neville continued to discuss their summers, Harry reflected on how much they all had changed. We're all growing up, he thought. Even Neville is more confident. This war will make us old before our time, and we're not even trying to hang on to our youth.

Ron was the last one to walk in the door before McGonagall entered. He stubbornly took the seat next to Hermione without looking at Harry.

"Silence, please," McGonagall said. "As you all know, this is an important year."

Harry smiled, glad to be home.




Special thanks to CuteandQuirky for typing this up for me!
Sorry that it took so long with the update. This wasn't a very fun chapter to write but it had to happen so I made it as short and painless as possible. Thanks for the wait and here is the spoiler that you must agonize over.

"One day," Harry said, "I'm gonna kill him."

"You'll have to stand in line," Hermione snarled maliciously. "I'll do it first."


Don't you just love me! Thanks for the reviews and keep working on the mystery of Ginny's seecret talent.