Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

With Tired Eyes, Minds, and Souls We Slept by QuIDdITch_PlaYA

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A knock came from the front door of the Potters' home.

Harry stood from his stool in the kitchen, setting down his tea with a sigh. He heard the caller at the front door knock again, growing more insistent by the second.

“Coming,” he called, but as he reached for the handle, it burst open and Ginny tumbled into his arms.

“Oh, Harry!” she sobbed into his robes. “I’m so sorry.”

Harry wrapped his arms protectively around her, feeling as if everything was right in the world again.

“It’s all right,” he said gently, brushing her hair from her face. “It wasn’t your fault.” He held up a hand as Ginny began to speak. “Whatever McLaggen did to you doesn’t matter, not now.”

Ginny looked as if she wanted to apologize again, but he silenced her with an intense kiss.

“Harry,” she whispered, before falling to a heap on the ground.

“Ginny!” he exclaimed, then, without a second thought, Apparated her to St. Mungo’s.

************************************************************

“Harry, mate, stop pacing!” Ron said irritably, running a hand through his hair. “You’re wearing a hole in the ground.”

Harry sunk helplessly into chair beside the last remaining Marauder. He, along with the entire Weasley clan, Tonks, and Remus, anxiously awaited the diagnosis from Ginny’s collapse.

“Merlin, Remus,” Harry sighed. “She just came and fell down. What if I lose her?”

The older man shook his head. “You won’t lose her, Harry. She didn’t come back just to say good-bye.”

Before Harry could think of what to say, a Healer came out of the ward where Ginny was being examined.

“How is she?” he asked sharply.

“She’s doing fine, Mr Potter. She’s asleep at the moment.”

Harry slumped against the arm of his chair, relief seeping through him.

“She’s a little shaken, but it has not affected her pregnancy. The twins are late, but they will be healthy when they are born.”

“When’s that?” he interrupted anxiously.

“I’m sorry, sir. I can’t tell you that, but I can assure you, it will be soon.”

He was about to thank the departing Healer when he had to ask, “What happened to her?”

“I’m sorry. I can’t tell you that either. We can’t run too many spells to check on her because they may hurt the babies.”

Harry nodded in understanding. “Thank you.”

“Not a problem, Minister. You can visit her soon. We’ll be finishing our check-up in a minute.”

After several long minutes, two other Healers came out of the room, smiling tiredly.

“She’s awake, sir,” one of them said. “She’s asking for you.”

Harry smiled gratefully and pushed open the door to Ginny’s ward. The rest of his family remained behind to give him privacy

“How are you feeling, love?” he asked.

Even under the blankets, Harry could see the large mound that was her stomach. Ginny laid a hand on it and smiled. “Much better.” She paused. “I’m sorry I left, Harry. Everything told me to stay, my instincts- even the twins- knew better than I did, but-“

“You were scared,” Harry supplied quietly. “I already told you, what McLaggen did to you doesn’t matter.” He stopped, beginning to digest what Ginny had said. “What do you mean ‘the twins knew’?”

Ginny frowned slightly. “I don’t know,” she said slowly. “It was as if they were trying to tell me things, but I don’t know what.”

Harry shrugged. “Maybe they were telling you they’re on their way.”

Ginny’s lips twitched upward. “I was under the impression that they were telling me to get my arse back up and find you, or else.”

He laughed, kissing Ginny gently. “Then I’m glad you came back.”

Harry stood quietly and allowed the rest of the family to visit with Ginny. Remus fell behind the rest and stood with Harry against the wall.

“How are you now?” he asked.

Harry shrugged. “I’m relieved. I just can’t help but wonder why it all happened.”

“McLaggen is a Death Eater. He’s no doubt still angry with you for vanquishing Voldemort and is taking it out on Ginny.”

He didn’t reply but sighed quietly into his hands. Remus patted him consolingly on the arm as Tonks joined up with them.

“Wotcher, Harry,” she said brightly, waving her left hand in a showy manner. Harry grinned at how she unabashedly exhibited her engagement ring for all to see.

“How’s the planning going?” he asked.

Remus turned red, just as he always did whenever anything concerning his personal life was discussed.

Tonks giggled, basking in her fiancée’s embarrassment. She seemed to find that the more he stammered over his words, the more she got to talk about the wedding, which was just how she liked it. She launched into great detail about their upcoming wedding, leaving no rose petal left unturned.

Just when it seemed that her monologue was at an end, Mrs Weasley dragged Harry away by the elbow to his wife’s side.

“Thank you, Harry,” she said, giving Harry a bone-crushing hug as he gripped Ginny’s hand. He stammered in response, just grateful to have Ginny with him again. He squeezed her hand encouragingly, silently vowing to keep him away from her for good.

***************************************

It had been several days since Ginny had been released from St. Mungo’s with strict orders to get bed rest. It wasn’t as if she followed such instructions. He and Ginny had gone back to the cabin in which she had spent her last night away. She had wished to introduce him to a woman who she called Alexandra.

The cabin was found empty, much to her dismay and disappointment. Upon her request, he researched the woman.

“Excuse me, sir,” a young man who Harry had enlisted to research the woman in question. He looked up from his stack of papers. “Alexandra’s full name is Alexandra Louisa Carter. She’s a registered Seer who, as of several months ago, moved out of Hogsmeade on what she believed to be a premonition. If my sources are correct, she has moved back to her cottage in the Village.”

Harry furrowed his brow. Had the woman foreseen Ginny’s strange memory loss? He made a mental note to take it upon himself to visit her soon. He would have to bring Ginny. He took the woman’s address and thanked the man. He shuffled the papers on his desk, slipped them under his arm and stepped from his office.

“Excuse me, Minister Potter,” a simpering voice filled with contempt called as he reached the lifts.

Harry smirked as he turned to face the toad-like face of Dolores Umbridge.

“Yes, Ms Umbridge?” he said as condescendingly as possible.

She sniffed indignantly at Harry’s tone. Apparently she detested the fact that he was her superior as much as he was enjoying it.

“I’ve noticed that you’ve been out of your office quite a bit, Mr Potter. I was just curious as to why.”

“That’s very good for you,” he said vaguely. Then, as inspiration struck him, he added, “I’ve been working on improving Centaur-Wizard relations lately. Tell me, Miss Umbridge, what do you say to a Centaur joining the ranks of the Wizengamot? Wouldn’t it be wonderful?”

He turned on his heel, leaving a stuttering Umbridge behind.

******************************************************************************

“Ginny, I’m home,” Harry called as he stepped over the threshold to the kitchen.

“Over here,” she called from the sitting room. He joined her in front of the fireplace. She was sitting in a chair with her legs propped up on a footstool and reading Witch Weekly.

“How’re you feeling?” he asked, kissing the top of her head.

“Fine,” she replied dully, not looking up from her reading.

Harry wrung his hands anxiously for a moment then said, “I’ve found out where Alexandra lives.”

Ginny’s head snapped up. “Where?” she asked, her curiosity immediately piqued.

“Hogsmeade,” he replied smilingly.

“Great! When can we see her?”

Harry shrugged. “I Owled her before I left the office. We can see her as soon as she replies.”

As if on cue, an owl flew through the open window and landed on Ginny’s lap. Her eyes quickly scanned the paper, a slightly surprised expression on her face. When she set the letter back down, she turned to Harry.

“She’s a Seer?”

Harry nodded. “She’s registered and everything.”

“She says she’s home, and we can visit any time.”

“All right, ready to go?”

Ginny nodded enthusiastically, and Apparated to Hogsmeade in Harry’s warm embrace. They arrived in front of a cottage that looked very much like the warm cabin Ginny had stayed at. Harry squeezed her hand encouragingly as they knocked on the Seer’s front door.

“Ah, Ginny!” Alexandra cried enthusiastically as she opened the door. “I’ve been wondering when you’d come and pay me a visit.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow but smiled gratefully all the same. Alex ushered the young couple inside the warm little cottage.

“I know you’re wondering about me,” she said, smiling serenely.

Ginny nodded. Wondering was a bit of an understatement at that point. In truth, she was absolutely dying to know about her.

“Well,” she began, “I had a premonition several days ago about you. My foresight gave me the knowledge of your disappearance and that you stumbled into that empty cabin, quite distressed might I add. I’d be darned if I’d allow you to stay there by yourself.”

The room was silent for a moment as she paused in her explanation. Harry suddenly seemed to burst with questions.

“Why didn’t you warn us about her disappearance?” he asked, barely controlling his confusion and frustration.

“I’ve learned better than to meddle with fate,” Alex replied patiently. “I have tried and failed to stop an event from happening to know that it will not work. Her memories were foreseen to be lost and, in the same manner, returned in time. Giving her a push in the right direction was my best option.”

Harry nodded understandingly. The afternoon went by rather quickly. The three talked lightly, though the subject of Alex’s premonitions was never breeched. Harry and Ginny left in light spirits, but only after promising to alert Alex straight away when the twins were born. Neither of them could shake the feeling that she knew more than she was saying by the way her eyes twinkled at them.

Several weeks passed by. Ginny found herself growing more and more agitated as worry spread throughout her. She found herself seeking advice from Alex, who said that the babies were ‘fine’ but refused to elaborate.

********************************************

On Christmas Eve, Harry and Ginny found themselves going to the Burrow for dinner, just as was their tradition. Ginny chatted merrily with Hermione and Tonks about the upcoming marriage and the birth of three children. Harry joined Ron, Remus, Fred and George, who were talking about the past Quidditch match, during which the Tornados slaughtered the Cannons.

“It was appalling!” Ron groaned loudly.

“It will be any time now,” Ginny insisted when Tonks asked worriedly about the twins’ birth.

“Dinner!” Mrs Weasley called from the kitchen. Harry sighed in relief. There was the usual ruckus in the room as everyone scrambled to the table. Things were how they should be. He was about to resume his conversation with the others when suddenly Ginny bent over.

“Oh, MERLIN!” she cried, clutching her stomach. She started to breathe heavily, nearly collapsing to the ground.

Harry’s hands shot out and grabbed her, gently lifting her toward the couch.

“Breathe, Ginny,” he whispered soothingly.

She gripped his hand tightly, moaning quietly through her ragged breath. “It hurts.”

“She’s going into labour!” Hermione exclaimed with wide eyes.

Harry’s stomach gave a little leap of excitement at her words. His mind started to reel. It suddenly seemed that the room was very cramped. None of this seemed to be real. It felt as though he was watching all of this happen from an alternate universe.

“C’mon, Harry. We have to get her to St. Mungo’s.” Remus helped him stand as Hermione and Ron took Ginny to the hospital. Harry had to take a few calming gulps of air before even attempting to Disapparate.

By the time he had calmed himself enough to make it to the hospital without splinching himself, Ginny was already in a ward, surrounded by Healers. He tried to fight his way to her side, but they ushered him away. He sat in the hall, but her screams weren’t quite muffled by the door.

Growing restless, he immediately started to pace the hall. Ron didn’t even try to get him to sit. He stared shakily at the door with a pale face. After what seemed like days, a weary looking Healer stepped from the ward, cradling a bundle in her arms.

“One of the two has been born, Mr Potter.”

Harry took the baby in his shaking arms. “It’s a boy.”

As he gazed wonderingly at the baby, it finally hit him. This was his son. He was a father. He had a family. Remus laid a supporting hand on his shoulder as everyone gathered around him. Harry’s eyes were shining with pride and awe as he touched the bare skin of his first child.

“Can I see how Ginny is doing?” he asked, not daring to wrench his eyes from the little bundle in his arms.

“Your second child should be on her way out in a moment. You can see her then.”

Harry nodded again, not daring to open his mouth for fear of losing what little control of his stomach he had left. It seemed to take even longer for the Healer to come out with his baby girl. After several minutes, Ron actually had to take Harry’s watch away to prevent him from staring at it so earnestly.

When a tired and haggard looking Healer emerged from the ward, Harry finally looked at his watch. He was shocked to see that it had indeed been over an hour since they had last come out of the ward.

“How is she?” he asked, immediately worried.

“She’ll be fine,” the Healer said. “The twins were born late and had matured more than they should have. They’re larger sizes caused immense amounts of bleeding on Ginevra’s part. We were forced to seal up her fallopian tube to prevent any further bleeding.”

”What does that mean?” he said, slightly frantic now.

“Both she and the second born will survive. Unfortunately, she will be unable to bear any more children.”

Harry nodded wordlessly again, taking his son from Bill. “Can I see her now?”

“You may.”

Harry nearly sprinted into the ward and was at Ginny’s side in a mere moment’s time. She smiled weakly at him. Her face was pale, but she looked healthy.

“How are you doing?” he asked quietly.

“Fine,” she said, holding out her arms. Within the bundle of blankets, she cradled another baby- a girl. As he looked at her, any of the fears he had ever felt that the twins weren’t his immediately evaporated. He stared in awe at his daughter’s eyes. They were green- startling green. They were his eyes, her grandmother’s eyes.

“She’s beautiful,” he whispered, awestruck, “just like her mother.”

“No, she looks more like you,” Ginny replied. It was true. She had his green eyes and, by the looks of it, his hair. Ginny rested her hand on the bundle still in Harry’s arms, rubbing the orange fuzz on the top of his head. “He looks like me.”

“What should they’re names be?”

Ginny looked thoughtful for a moment. Still resting a hand on her son, she replied, “Brian James, after Professor Dumbledore and your dad.”

Harry nodded, feeling tears spring into his eyes. She turned to her daughter in her arms. “And Alexandra Lily.”

Harry grinned. He kissed his children, then his wife. “Welcome to the family, Brian James and Alexandra Lily Potter.”


A/N: Oy with the poodles! (Gilmore girls reference, anyone?) This chapter got rejected because apparently when I tried to edit it, it submitted itself twice >_> Sorry for that.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions for the baby names. As you can see, I’ve used them. I have this chapter through chapter 14 outlined so far. I did it before Homecoming at Macaroni Grill. I kinda got bored after I finished eating, so I outlined it all on the paper table mat thing, ripped off the corner I wrote on, and carried it in my purse all night. Aren’t you all proud of my dedication? =] I’ll post as soon as possible- Scouts honour. Then again, I was never a Scout, so I’m not sure how valid that is.

*sigh* so much to say in such so little space. Thanks so much for all of the reviews! I almost have 300 and I’ve responded to all of them! Read them if you’d like.

This entire story was so much more light-hearted when I originally plotted it out. My pen-err, keyboard- is running away with me. More on that later, though. I can’t spoil it for you now!

Lastly, please review! I’m not asking for ‘I love the fic’ reviews (even though I
LOVE them) Don’t think I don’t appreciate them, or reply to them, or they don’t totally make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Because they do Actually, I’m thinking of writing my own story, and maybe one day even get published. So I want you to critique my writing like no other. You must be the Ebert and Roper of Fanfictions! Tell me everything that you think about my writing style. Thanks in advance!

~QP

P.S. Sorry, This chapter was very transitional and kinda random. I couldn’t leave out a random ‘beat up on Umbridge’ moment. You’ll probably get a few more of them later. I didn’t like her very much.