Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

With Tired Eyes, Minds, and Souls We Slept by QuIDdITch_PlaYA

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As was expected, Mrs Weasley immediately buried Harry and Ginny in her hugs the moment she entered the ward. She cradled her two grandchildren in her arms with tears in her eyes. The entire room was filled with the Weasleys, Remus, and Tonks. Even many members of the Order came to congratulate the Harry and Ginny. Alex dropped by and spent much time with the new family. She thanked them earnestly for naming their daughter after her and assured them that things were going along as her vision had foreseen. There was something about her manner, however, that made them both feel slightly discomforted.

Shrugging off the feeling, Ginny turned to Hermione. “Are you sure you don’t want to find out whether it’s a boy or a girl?” she asked.

Hermione shrugged noncommittally. “Ron and I agreed to wait for the surprise.”

“Then what are we supposed to do for the shower?” she replied, almost exasperatedly. “You threw Harry and mine when I was three months in. I have to throw one for you and Ron!”

Hermione smiled. “With two infants on your hands now, I highly doubt that planning our baby shower is high on your list of priorities.”

The new mother laughed. “Of course it is, Hermione!”

Hermione’s half-hearted protests were drowned out by Ginny’s loud yawn. The Healer who had been lurking in the corner of the ward ushered out the entire group save Harry, insisting that her patient needed rest.

“So,” Harry began slowly, cautiously. “You can’t have any more kids.”

Ginny nodded sadly. “I’m sorry, Harry. I know you wanted a big family-“

Harry shook his head. “There’s no need to apologize. I know you wanted a big family, too. It’s not anyone’s fault.” He ran his hands through her silky hair. “I’m just happy you, Alexandra, and Brian are alive and well. I was afraid I would lose you again.”

“I thought I might die, too,” she whispered, shuddering a little. “When I didn’t stop bleeding, the Healers started to worry. All I thought of was ‘Hell, I wish I could see Harry.’ I didn’t even think our babies. Does that make me a bad mother?”

“Not at all, love,” he said, gently touching her cheek. “You’ll be a wonderful mother.”

“I hope so,” she whispered, obviously worried.

“I know so,” he replied, kissing her. “Now sleep tight, and you can come home soon.”

***********************************************

Two days later, Ginny was released from the hospital with a clean bill of health, only after several heavy lectures from the Healers.

“Mrs Potter,” a matron told her solemnly before she left, “the spell used on you that caused you to lose your memory was Dark Magic. I’m not exactly sure how your memories returned, but from what your husband told us, it seems that your ring has a good amount of power which managed to counteract the magic of the spell.”

“What does that mean?” she asked, shivering slightly.

“Well, you’re facing an awfully dangerous enemy. We’ve managed to counteract the spell. It shouldn’t have any permanent damage. If there are any side effects, don’t hesitate to come in, and we’ll look you over again. I advise that you wear your ring for a few more days, just in case.”

Ginny thanked them profusely before taking Harry’s arm as he escorted her and their young infants home together for the first time.

She was greeted by her family the moment she stepped over the threshold. Harry was holding Brian and she, Alexandra.

“Can’t I ever get a day alone without having to see you people?” she asked dramatically, feigning annoyance.

“You know you can’t get enough of us, Gin-Gin,” Fred said, beaming. She made a face but the effect was lost when she burst out laughing.

“Of course I can’t, dear brother.”

“Oh, dear Fred,” George said, clutching his heart, “It seems as though our darling sister is being sarcastic with us.”

“Horrors!” his twin exclaimed.

Ginny rolled her eyes, turning to Alexandra who had just begun to wail.

“Look, you two, you scared her.”

Fred chortled as she left for the kitchen. Her mother followed her in, dragging Harry along, to help her prepare Alexandra’s first bottle. She conjured bottles of formula and with a wave of her wand they heated in a pot of boiling water on the stove.

“Test the bottle on your wrist, just to make sure it’s not too hot for them,” Mrs Weasley instructed cheerfully.

Ginny did as she was told, with Harry watching quietly over her shoulder. After the bottle was cooled enough to feed to Alexandra, she placed it in the mouth of the fussing child. Harry did the same to Brian as they carried their children out of the kitchen back to the welcoming committee. Ginny stared quietly out of the window, absentmindedly watching the snow fall. Harry handed Brian to Hermione and laid a quiet hand on his wife’s shoulder.

“How are you doing?” he asked, concern filling his voice.

“I’m fine,” she replied absentmindedly, “just a little tired.”

“All right. Maybe you should lie down.”

“No, really, I’ll be all right.”

“Fine, just be careful, all right?”

Ginny pressed her lips to his. “Really, I’m fine.”

She was about to turn back to her family when, without warning, a chill ran up Ginny’s spine. She, suddenly, couldn’t shake the feeling that she was being watched. Clutching her child to her, she sunk to the ground, feeling utterly hopeless.

“I can’t do this anymore!” she sobbed. “I can’t live like this.”

“Ginny, what’s the matter?” Harry asked, frightened.

“I hate being afraid! I can’t do it- not with the babies and McLaggen out and-” She broke out in renewed sobs.

Harry sat beside her, stroking her hair softly. “It will be all right, Ginny. We’ll fight through this.”

“When will it end?” she cried, her entire body shaking in Harry’s arms.

“I don’t know,” he replied quietly, burying his face in her hair. “I’m so sorry, honey. I really don’t know.”

“We’re all here for you,” Tonks said quietly, laying a gentle hand on Ginny’s shoulder. “You’re not alone.”

She and Harry both looked up at Tonks and the rest of the family. Everyone was gazing earnestly at them. Ginny gave a small, watery smile.

“Thanks,” she muttered. She sighed quietly. “Sorry for ruining the party.”

“Nonsense, darling,” Mrs Weasley replied.

“C’mon, Gin! We’re just getting started,” Fred interjected.

Harry helped Ginny to her feet and allowed her to pass Alexandra to Remus. They tried to enjoy the evening, but Ginny’s breakdown brought the issues at hand fresh into their minds. McLaggen was a Dark wizard, and he wanted the Potter family destroyed.

They were restless throughout the night. Long after their family had left, Ginny was awake, rocking her children to sleep. Harry was at her side. When the two infants were finally down, they went up to bed, though still restless.

“I’m worried, Harry,” she whispered, as she pulled on her nightgown.

Harry said nothing for a moment, unsure of how to respond. He stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“It will be okay,” he said soothingly into her ear, sending chills down her spine. She turned her body into his and kissed him soundly.

“I love you, Harry.”

“I love you, too.”

They went to bed that night with heavy hearts, but also sure that they could overcome whatever came to face them.

******************************

The next several months passed peacefully. They saw neither hide nor hair of the wanted Death Eater, despite the desperate attempts of the Aurors. Nobody was quite sure how the man was able to elude capture when so many were after him. There was speculation that McLaggen had perhaps fled the country, but Harry did not believe such rumours, which was apparent due to his passionate search.

Even with the lack of news on McLaggen, life with the Potters went on as usual. Ginny had resigned from her dull job at the Ministry to stay with her children. She spent most of her time inside the Potter home, usually with the company of a very pregnant Hermione or her mother. Harry was rarely at home during the day, due to the demands as Minister, but he made a point to check on his family every few hours. They could only worry so much, so, despite their anxiety, they did their best not to think of what could happen.

They weren’t too worried, that is, until the eve of their first anniversary.

A/N: Sorry this chapter is kind of short, but a lot is going to happen next chapter and I wasn’t sure how to transition into it smoothly. It took me quite a bit longer to get this out for several reasons. One, I have so much homework and real life drama. Two, Writer’s Block. Three, I haven’t been able to decide what to write (I’m currently writing this, a one-shot, and my own original story). Finally, I’m so easily distracted. I keep starting to write, but then I read a good fic and I can’t stop. It’s horrible! I tried not to leave you with a cliffie since I don't know when I'll be able to update again, so this is the best I could do. It's better than the cliffie I was planning to use :]

~ QP