Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

With Tired Eyes, Minds, and Souls We Slept by QuIDdITch_PlaYA

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Harry, wake up,” Hermione said, shaking Harry gently.

“What?” Harry groaned, opening his eyes. He had somehow fallen asleep on the living room floor, his hand still clenched around Ginny’s ring.

“Did you sleep here all night?” she asked, concerned.

Harry nodded wordlessly as all of the previous night’s events hit him all over again. After a minute of awkward silence, Harry turned to her. “What are you doing here? I don’t think Ron would fancy the idea of you talking to me right now.”

“Ron doesn’t know I’m here,” she said quietly. Seeing his darkened expression, she added, “Harry, he’s just worried. He’ll come round once he calms down a little.”

“Don’t worry about it, Hermione,” Harry replied in a tone that he hoped sounded nonchalant.

Hermione was obviously not fooled by his tone because she gave him a concerned look and patted him on the arm reassuringly. “You’ll find her, Harry. You have all of the Aurors at your command. Don’t worry too much.”

Harry nodded again. He smiled weakly at Hermione, unsure of what to say.

She returned the smile, relieved to see him smile, no matter how small it was.

He heaved himself off of the ground and left to get ready. Hermione sat down on the couch and sighed. She already had to worry about Ginny’s strange disappearance, now she had to worry about Ron’s irrational behaviour and Harry’s stress and worry. When he came back down a half an hour later, he looked a little less stressed and also very grateful.

“Thanks for coming for me, Hermione. You got me on my feet, even though I don’t want to be.”

“Anytime, Harry,” she said. “I’m you’re friend, no matter how big of a prat my husband can be.”

Harry smiled again and left for work. Hermione followed wordlessly, heading for St. Mungo’s.

He landed in the Apparation point of the Ministry and immediately went to his office to write a memo to Kingsley. Within minutes, the head Auror was entering the room with a concerned look on his face.

“Did you need me?” he asked.

Harry nodded. “Try to keep this quiet, okay?”

Kingsley frowned slightly. “You know I can’t promise you that, Harry. If it concerns the safety of others-“

“It has to do with Ginny,” Harry interrupted curtly. “She’s missing.”

Kingsley nearly fell out of his chair in shock. “What happened?” he asked, immediately sympathetic.

“I don’t know,” Harry sighed. “Hermione was with her. She said that Ginny collapsed and she went to St. Mungo’s to get her some help. When she came back, Ginny was gone.” He paused for a moment, reaching into the pocket of his robes. “She left behind her ring.”

Kingsley stared in silence. He, along with most of the Order, knew that Ginny never took off her ring. She wouldn’t ever leave it behind somewhere.

“What do you think happened to her?” he asked quietly.

“I don’t know,” Harry replied quietly. His hands were shaking in his lap. “That’s what scares me.”

He pulled out the tiny box that held Ginny’s engagement ring. He had pulled it out of the drawer of her bedside table this morning. He held onto it in hopes that it would lead him to her.

Kingsley nodded reassuringly. “I’ll send Ron and some other trusted Aurors out to look for her. I’ll make sure they don’t let it leak to the press.”

“Thanks,” Harry said quietly. He tensed slightly at the sound of his best mate’s name. He hoped that Kingsley didn’t notice. The Auror left the room quickly, leaving Harry to himself

He sighed quietly and tried to create a mind connection with Ginny. His hand clenched the ring again, trying to call to her. Nothing happened. He sighed again. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Hermione came timidly into the room.

“Hi, Harry,” she muttered quietly.

“Hey, Hermione.”

“Do you want to go to lunch today?” she asked.

He hesitated for several seconds before asking, “Does Ron know?”

“Yeah, well, he knows I’m going to lunch with Victor, so I suppose that it would be okay if you joined us.”

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea. You’re going to lunch with two of his three least favourite people in the world.”

“I really don’t care about that right now. He’s being a right prat. Don’t think anything of it. If anything, it’ll knock him to his senses.”

Harry smiled ruefully. “All right. I’ll go with you and meet up with Victor.”

“Brilliant!” She smiled. “See you at the Leaky Cauldron at noon, okay?”

“Yeah. See you.”

She left, smiling warmly. Harry returned the smile, though feeling kind of reluctant.

“It’s okay to be happy. Ginny won’t want you to be miserable.”

Harry nodded. “I know. I’m just worried.”

“I understand. Look, just do your best to find her. Fate will bring you back together. It brought you here, didn’t it? You came back from death, just to be with her. Nothing else could possibly amount to that.”

Harry smiled again. Suddenly, he knew that he would find his wife. One day things would be okay again.

*************************************************

Meanwhile, Ginny wandered, alone and confused. She had run from the strange house without thinking. The name, nagging at her mind, seemed to be leading her somewhere. Suddenly she saw the ruins of what looked like a large manor. She walked around, looking for something that might jog her memory. She saw nothing but rubble and torn ruins of belongings.

“So you came?” a voice said from behind her.

Ginny whipped around and saw a huge man, smiling at her. Suddenly she knew this was the one that she wanted.

“Are you Cormac?” she asked timidly.

“Yeah, I am,” he replied, extending his hand. “The name’s Cormac McLaggen. And you’re Ginny.”

It wasn’t a question.

“You know who I am?” she said suddenly.

“Sure I do. Don’t you?”

Ginny shook her head. “No. I don’t remember.”

“You’re Ginny. You’re my girlfriend.”

Ginny took a step back in shock. “What? I don’t understand.”

Cormac looked intensely into her eyes. “You’re my girlfriend. You went away last month and didn’t come back, until now.”

He took her in his arms suddenly. She recoiled from his touch. “I know you don’t remember me. You probably don’t trust me. I could be lying for all you know, but sooner or later-” he leaned in a little, “-you will-” he was drawing closer, “-trust me.”

He whispered his last two words, so close that Ginny could feel his breath on her face. Ginny pushed him away screaming, “NO!”

Cormac looked surprised at her outburst.

“I don’t even remember who you are,” she said. “I don’t know you. Please just- give me space.”

Cormac sighed. “All right. You can have space, but until you remember me, stay over at my place. You can have your own room and all.”

Without any other place to go, Ginny consented. She followed him through the forest to a cottage. It was in such a remote area that she wondered if anyone else knew where it was. He pushed open the door, revealing a comfy-looking, fully furnished living room.

“You’re room is down the hall,” he said, pointing to a door. “Make yourself at home.” Ginny nodded gratefully. “I have just one rule. Don’t ever leave without me.”

With that, he left the cottage, locking the door behind him. Ginny stared blankly at the spot where he once stood. She ran her hands over her stomach. It was so- round. Could she possibly be- No, she couldn’t be. Who would the father be? Was it Cormac, or someone else?

Apparently this man was the one who could return her memories. She wanted her memories back, to know who she was. She wanted to trust him- to find her past. She wanted to let him in, but, no matter how she much she wanted it, something didn’t feel right. Something was missing.

***************************************************************

Harry absentmindedly finished up his work before leaving for lunch. He landed in the Leaky Cauldron, immediately spotting Hermione and Viktor Krum in one of the corners of the room, chatting merrily. She spotted him and waved. Viktor also had on a warm face. Harry wondered if she told him about Ginny.

“It is good to see you, Harry,” he said, his voice still heavily accented.

“You too,” Harry replied, shaking the famous seeker’s hand.

“Herm-own-ninny told me about your vife. I’m sorry.”

Harry glanced over at her. She shrugged, looking slightly apologetic. “It’s all right,” Harry replied. “She’ll be found soon. I trust the Aurors.” There was an awkward pause as Harry sat down. “Anyways, enough about me. How are you doing, Viktor?”

“I am doing vell. The team is in England for a match, so there vill be time to look around, I am thinking.”

“That’s good,” he replied, smiling. They ordered food and ate in silence. There was really nothing to say. Viktor wasn’t one to talk much, so Harry and Hermione contented themselves with the exchange of quiet looks of significance.

“Is there anywhere you’d like to go, Viktor?”

He shook his head with a noncommittal shrug. Harry raised an eyebrow as Hermione immediately took off about all of the good book shops and other stores around. He chuckled, as Viktor looked overwhelmed by Hermione’s rapid talk. Suddenly, Harry felt a tingling sensation on the back of his neck that told him that someone was watching him. He tried to shake it off. He should be used to it by now, being the Minister, but the feeling was different this time. He turned to see Ron glowering in their direction from the entrance. His smile faded rapidly from his face. Hermione spotted Ron, too, and frowned.

“Let’s go outside,” she muttered irritably, “before Ron makes a scene.”

They made their way out of the pub quickly. Harry felt his gaze boring into the back of their heads. When they finished tapping the bricks on the wall to get them into Diagon Alley, they wordlessly walked through the arched entryway. Ron followed. Hermione dragged Viktor and Harry through the crowds. All three of them were painfully aware of the fact the Ron was closely behind them, becoming angrier by the second.

Finally, Hermione cracked. “What do you want, Ron?” she snapped, wheeling around to face him.

“What are you doing with them?” he scowled, ignoring her question.

“They’re my friends,” she retorted. “They should be yours, too, you know. You’re being a ridiculous prat.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t say that! You know what you did! Harry needs our support right now and you’re not helping.”

Harry sighed at being talked about like he wasn’t there. “Ron, I’m sorry,” he said quietly. “I tried to protect her. I’m going to find her, I promise.”

Viktor stopped his pleas by resting a hand on his shoulder. He was glowering at Ron. “Harry, it is not your fault. Ronald should not be blaming you. You loff her.”

“Don’t talk to them!” Ron said, his voice rising. People were starting to turn and stare. Viktor said nothing to Ron, but instead turned to Hermione.

“I vill see you later, Herm-own-ninny. I vill write you ven I am next in town,” he said before Disapparating.

Hermione glared at Ron. “You have really lost it, Ronald. You knew I was going to lunch with Viktor. You’re acting extremely immature.”

“Whatever,” he said angrily, before storming off.

Harry sighed. Suddenly all of his doubts came flooding back to him. Would he be able to find her? Why did she leave?

“Harry, don’t start blaming yourself again,” Hermione whispered softly.

“Why not?” he said, never feeling this hopeless before. “Ron’s right. Ever since we got back together after the war, there have been problems. I got kidnapped and nearly died. It almost broke her heart. She could have died, too. She’s missing now. It’s because of McLaggen, because he wants me dead. I couldn’t protect her. She could be dead for all I know.”

“Harry, stop. Look in your heart. You know she’s not dead. It’s not your fault. You’re forgetting that Ginny has her own free will. She chose to love you, and her love will never cease. She didn’t die at Malfoy Manor because your love protects her. It still does. Just don’t lose that love and you’ll be together again, for the rest of your lives. Don’t worry about Ron. He’ll come to his senses. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, though.”

Harry did as Hermione told him and looked deep within him. Wherever Ginny was, he could feel her heart beating. Things would be better. Ginny would come back and Ron would come to his senses, as Hermione said, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

A/N: Sooo, what did you think? I was hoping to update as soon as 8 was up, but I took a relaxing vacation in Hawaii. I learned how to surf! lol. Chapter 10 is written and just needs to be typed. I have the whole story thought out. It should be about 15 or so chapters. School starts again this week so the updates may be further space apart. Sorry in advance. Also, thanks for the reviews! OVER 200! You’re so amazing. Special thanks to snhpf for making a few edits due to my random moments of stupidity (which come quite often).

By the way, I made banners to both this story and the prequel. Check them out and tell me what you think please.

~QP