Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ultimate Betrayal by Phoenix5225

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A/N: This story begins during the Astronomy Tower Scene of the Half Blood Prince. Due to the fact that this is a challenge one-shot, many details I would have loved to expand on had to be edited out. Therefore, I had to make some rather simplistic explanations for some of the topics. Finally, this story is an in-depth off-shoot of my major piece, Lethal Affection. There are possible teasers for Lethal Affection woven in this challenge, but they will not affect the clarity of Ultimate Betrayal. Also, special thanks to Little_Kitty for accepting a spur of the moment beta job.

He desperately tried to ignore the mix of fear and anger rushing through his veins as he raced up the last flight of stairs. The tower was cast in a faint green light from the Dark Mark hovering above the building. He pushed his way through the small crowd of people, his eyes darting about sharply, searching for the only person who mattered to him. At last he saw him, slouched limply against the cold stone wall.

“Severus…” The Headmaster’s voice was barely a whisper, and a fresh surge of anger shot heat through his blood. Dumbledore, his father-figure in so many ways, was the strongest man he had ever known; the person responsible for his weakened condition would suffer intensely. His own coal eyes met the pale blue ones. Usually filled with cheer and kindness, the eyes now were flat and nearly dead.

“Albus.” he spoke the word, not aloud, but merely as a thought as he stared into the nearly lifeless face of the Headmaster.

The reply he received was faint, “The Horcrux…a slow death potion…I made Harry force it down my throat…there was no choice, Severus…we had to get the locket from the bottom…he can’t know the potion killed me; his guilt is already severe…the Unbreakable Vow…if Draco doesn’t, you must…”

“I will not kill you Albus,”
he thought forcefully.

“We cannot both die here…” The weakened man looked at him pleadingly. Then, with what must have been all the strength remaining in him, he whispered, “Severus, please…”

Severus felt the fury etch itself upon his face. The hatred, the anger, the spite, and the contempt for the Dark Lord and everything he stood for “ the typically expressionless man was overcome with emotion as he raised his wand at the wounded. “Forgive me,” he thought softly as he screamed the curse, “Avada Kedavra!”

The bright green light flashed from the tip of his wand, propelling his mentor backward over the edge of the tower. He regretted it at once, but he had no time to grieve. Standing in a group of the Dark Lord's minions and aware the Order of the Phoenix members were scattered throughout the school, he realized the enormous challenge now staring him in the face. Reaching out, he grabbed the arm of the boy beside him and pushed him toward the door. “Stay with me,” he spat at Draco, as they broke into a sprint down the winding staircase.

Severus’s lungs burned in pain as the two made a mad dash for the gate of the school grounds. They had nearly reached it, rushing past the groundskeeper’s hut, when the voice rang loud and clear behind him. “Coward! Stay and fight!”

Severus spun sharply around to find himself facing Harry Potter. The loathing was as clear on Harry’s face as he knew it must have been on his own moments ago. “Coward!” Harry shouted again.

Anger surged as a heat through Severus’s tired body. This boy “ this lowly child “ accusing him of being cowardly? He had absolutely no idea what had just occurred “ that Severus had just sacrificed the only friend he had in the world. Harry could not begin to hate him nearly as much as he hated himself. But to call him a coward? He had just felt the searing pain of his soul splitting - a pain he had hoped he would never endure again. Killing Dumbledore was one of the strongest things Severus had ever done in his life. The fire manifested itself in his black eyes as he pointed his wand at Harry and screamed with a deadly voice, “Don’t…call me coward!”

Just as he was about to let loose a string of curses, he heard the pleading voice of his mentor in his head again, “Severus…please…” The tight tension in his muscles subsided the slightest bit, and this was just enough to snap his thoughts back to logic instead of emotion. He glared at the boy in front of him. He had to distract him, but it was impossible to kill him. With a flick of his wand, he set fire to the hut behind them, knowing full well Harry would try to salvage the cabin. He then turned and continued his flight into the darkness




It seemed like hours of panting and rough flight through the forest before Severus and Draco reached the cave. Ushering Draco inside, Severus panted, “Rest. We will need much of it, but will only get little.”

Draco looked questioningly at the mad man before him, his icy blue eyes showing more than a trace of fear. “What have you done?” he whispered, his voice cracking slightly.

Severus glared sharply at the boy before him. “I have completed the task which you could not,” he answered. “For this, your life is in danger, and for this, my own life may end as well. The Dark Lord does not take fondly to his orders being modified.”

Though the air was humid and warm, Severus saw Draco shudder in the faintly lit cavern. His thoughts flashed back to another night such as this almost seventeen years ago. He knew the exact thought which had caused the boy to shiver. It was the moment he realized he had set his life on a path that he now wished he had not chosen, a life he had never wanted to live, but was suddenly confronted not only with the fact that he could not alter it, but that he may not live to see the consequences of his actions.

“Draco,” there was the slightest hint of concern in his voice, “very soon we will have to leave this place and return to the Dark Lord. Rest now, while you can. You will need your strength.” The youth nodded and collapsed to the ground. After watching him twitch fitfully for several moments, Severus saw the exhaustion overcome the boy’s body as his breathing slowed and became even. At this, Severus slumped to the floor himself, and rested his aching head in his hands.

His memory flashed to the evening nearly a year ago, when Narcissa had unexpectedly appeared on his doorstep. In his nearly forty years, never once had he been able to resist and ignore the pain and fear of a mother for her child. If he was to admit he had any weakness at all, it would be the feeling inside of him as he saw anguish in a woman’s eyes as she was overcome with the realization death would soon separate her from her offspring. It was the most intimate of thoughts, and though most men were fortunate enough to live their entire lives without witnessing such a moment, Narcissa Malfoy was his third.

He recalled turning away from her, staring out the window at the bleak scenery to avoid her tears. The manipulative wench was aware of his skill in Legilimency, however, as her unspoken voice intruded his thoughts, “Severus, he will be killed. He is my only son, Severus. Please…Severus…my son…my world…” He turned sharply back from the window to face her. At the sight of the tears streaming down her pale, soft face, he was broken.

“I am certain the Dark Lord intends me to complete the task in the end anyway,” he said smoothly to her. He was not certain of anything, but he knew the Dark Lord’s distaste for the Malfoy family. Any task Draco was charged with could only lead to their demise. “I will protect him,” he had assured her.

It was then that Narcissa’s evil sister had spoken. She had taunted him, nearly convincing Narcissa Severus would do nothing. She goaded him, and the more she spoke, the angrier he became. Finally, between the taunting of Bellatrix and the tears of Narcissa, he had heard himself make an Unbreakable Vow. When he had finally learned of the task “ to kill Albus Dumbledore “ he had again lost his normally controlled temper. Several vials had been broken in his dungeon workroom, and his storeroom of ingredients looked as though it had been ransacked by an intruder.

Many long conversations with Dumbledore had followed. Dumbledore alone knew the heartbreak, the shame, and the regret that Severus endured each day from his commitment to the Dark Lord. Now all of those feelings which Severus had tried to keep buried within him for the better part of twenty years were multiplied and magnified as they swarmed to the surface. The shame of his past actions was nothing compared to the searing pain of anticipation of the task before him. At least with his previous major mishaps, he had attempted to comfort himself with the thought that his actions had only indirectly contributed to death. He had not killed those people; he had simply shared information. But now, he would have to be the one to murder. He would have to raise his wand, with hatred in his soul, and kill the only man who had ever been a father to him.

It angered Severus that Dumbledore did not seem to be concerned of the death he knew would come. He appeared to simply treat it as another task for which a plan must be prepared. During their talks, Dumbledore kept Severus updated on the private education Harry was receiving. They both knew that for the Dark Lord to be vanquished, Harry would need to know all he could about immortality and how to defeat it. Dumbledore had charged himself with that task. He had urged Severus to continue to do as he had done for the past seventeen years “ be a Death Eater. Earn their trust. Protect Harry. Advise Dumbledore on his hunt for the Horcruxes. Heal him. Kill him. It was all in a day’s work, Dumbledore had said lightly. Severus had blown up at him on more than one occasion “ in his office, in the forest, in the dungeon. And always, he resigned himself to the fact that Dumbledore would have to be the sacrificial lamb. Harry had the information he needed to defeat the Dark Lord “ that was information the teacher did not have to be alive to share. But to actually locate Voldemort “ to destroy him “ that required the work of a living soul, and Severus was better equipped to lead him there.

Sunlight began to peak its brilliant splendor over the hills and into the cave. The promise of a new day, Severus thought bitterly, as he shook Draco to rouse him from his sleep. “We must continue,” he told the boy. “Stay strong. Do not be weak. The Dark Lord despises weakness in his followers. Regardless of what is going on in that minute brain of yours, you must never show fear.”

Draco nodded, and as though preparing himself for battle, pulled his shoulders back and breathed deeply. At that moment, he crossed the line between a boy and a man. The fear in his eyes was replaced by an icy blue resolve, and Severus could only hope that his Aunt Bellatrix had been a decent Occlumency instructor. The two departed from the cave into the early morning light.




Moments later, with the use of Side-Along Apparition, the pair stood in the corner of a large barren field near a large dead oak tree. “Where are we?” Draco asked, looking around suspiciously.

“This is the place the Dark Lord assigned us to meet him,” Severus responded.

No sooner had the words left his lips when a loud crack split the air. A tall, cloaked figure appeared before them. At this, Severus fell on one knee. “It is finished, my Lord.”

The cold voice contained no emotion as it said, “Albus Dumbledore is dead?”

Following the lead of his teacher, Draco kneeled before the inhumane being as well. “Yes, my Lord.”

“Did you kill him, Malfoy?”

Severus spoke before Draco could reply. “There was a heated battle, my Lord. The Order had been called. Draco was engaged in duel with several experienced Order members.”

“Silence, Snape, the question was not intended for you.”

Draco shook his head resolutely. “I did not. Professor Snape performed the curse.”

“Malfoy, you have failed in the task to which you were assigned. You had been given nearly a year, and still you have failed me. It is your great fortune that Snape was present to fulfill your duty. If Dumbledore was not dead this day, you would be.”

Draco bowed his head. “You are most gracious, Master.”

“I am not a man who often grants second chances, Malfoy,” Voldemort responded, his red eyes glinting beneath his hood. “However, your mother’s sister can be… most persuasive.” His nostrils flared as he snapped his full attention back to Draco. “I will grant you a small assignment this time, Malfoy. If you cannot perform this simple task, however, nothing your aunt does will be able to save you.”

“I will not disappoint you, my Lord,” Draco said solemnly.

“Return to your aunt’s home. You will find several Death Eaters there. Your arrival is the signal to them to begin the terrorization of the Muggle world. Remind them the task is Muggles only. If one wizard is attacked, even a Mudblood wizard, it is your fault. Do you understand?”

“I will not fail,” Draco promised as he Disapparated out of sight.

After the boy had gone, Voldemort turned his full attention to Severus. Severus raised himself off of the ground and faced the Dark Lord. “Snape, there is something very important I must discuss with you.”

“Yes, my Lord?”

“Snape, you have been a servant to me for twenty years. It was you who informed me of the prophecy, it was you who protected Harry Potter all his years of Hogwarts so that I may get the chance to kill him now, and it was you who kept me informed of the Order’s movements as an infiltrator. And yet, some among us have still questioned you. They did not believe that you were loyal to the Death Eaters. I have mastered Legilimency, Snape. No one can hide the truth from me, and your innermost thoughts have never revealed you to be anything but faithful. Still, there was doubt amongst my followers.”

“I have always served you, Master,” Severus assured him.

“Snape, your efforts in fulfilling the task assigned to Malfoy “ a task you knew was designed to fail “ leave no room for doubt. You have betrayed the man who protected you all those years. He is the reason you were not sent to Azkaban with the others. He even encouraged you to pretend to be a spy for the Order!” Voldemort’s voice was cold, yet maliciously gleeful.

“Stupid, trusting old man,” Severus agreed, a smirk creeping onto his face.

“I would have enjoyed being there,” Voldemort continued. “To see the look on the fool’s face as he realized a man he had saved was about to kill him. The fear in his eyes must have been a beautiful sight.”

“I know I will never forget it,” Severus replied.

“Now that the one man who could protect Potter is gone, I must now focus on fulfilling the prophecy. One must die at the hand of the other. I will destroy him, Snape. I must. Our goal to rid the wizarding world of blood-traitors, and worse, Mudbloods, cannot be accomplished until this passion has been satisfied.”

“What are your intentions, my Lord?” Severus inquired.

“Ultimate destruction. Torture. The boy killed me, Snape. Forced me to live a horrible half-life for ten years! I want him to feel the same pain he caused me. First, I want to attack that wretched Mudblood friend of his. She is far too clever. Without her to advise him, he will be weakened. Then, the blood-traitor of a best friend. You will kill him, Snape. I will tell Potter of his death when we are face to face. The stupid child has feelings. The sorrow of losing his family will cripple him. In those moments, when he realizes he has lost everything, then will I kill him. I have been planning this day for sixteen years, Snape. I cannot wait to feel the satisfaction.

“There is, however, some planning that still needs to be done. Everything must go perfectly, Snape. This time I will take no chances. I could not plan these events until after the death of Dumbledore. Now the old fool is destroyed, and I need solitude. I cannot be disturbed for several days. At the end of those days, I will summon the Death Eaters. Until then, they, like Malfoy, will be wreaking havoc on the Muggle world. Keep the Order distracted. There are two tasks I need to entrust to you, Snape.”

“I will perform both to your desire, Master.”

“I know you will. That is why I am choosing you. First, you must oversee the Death Eaters in my absence. Keep them in check. Make sure they are prepared for this final battle with the Order.”

“My managerial skills have never lacked, my Lord.”

“The second task “ Snape, this is the most important. As I have already said, I cannot be disturbed during this time of planning. Not even by the Death Eaters. I intend to work alone, and to vanish.”

“To vanish?” Severus repeated, not comprehending.

“I don’t want another person to interrupt these plans. I intend to cast a Fidelius Charm over my location, and I choose you, the most loyal of all, to keep the secret.”

Severus scoffed. “Me? Most loyal of all? Why not choose Bellatrix? She has been awaiting such a day for years. This is why she served her time in Azkaban,” he said sarcastically.

“She is indeed, among other things, very loyal, but I know that you understand the importance of these days. We do not have long. I know that even you will not disturb me. Bella can be…distracting,” Voldemort replied, with no emotion in his tone.

“I will do whatever my Master requests of me,” Severus told him, dropping again to one knee.

“Then let us perform the charm so that I may begin.” Voldemort drew his wand from within the depths of his robes and Severus straightened himself. A cool wind began to blow through the early morning air as Voldemort raised his wand. “Fidelius!” he cried, and a red mist erupted from the tip of the wand and began to wrap itself around its master.

“I desire no one know my location when I am in the home of my mother, the Gaunt shack in Little Hangleton!” His words swirled into the mist, and after a moment the mist condensed itself into a single red strand which dangled from the tip of the wand. “I choose Severus Snape to keep this secret for me!” The strand of red light detached from the wand, and after winding itself around Severus several times, vanished with a flash into the depths of his soul.

“Snape, I must leave immediately. As should you. Rally the Death Eaters together. Inform them the battle is coming. When I summon them next, they should come prepared to fight to the death. Remember, terrorize Muggles only. We do not attack the wizarding world until after Potter has been destroyed.”

For the third and final time, Snape fell on his knee. “We will anxiously await your summons, my Lord.”

A loud crack split the air again, and finally, Severus was alone.





Severus awoke with a start and seized his watch. How much time had passed? Time had suddenly become very precious, but when he arrived back at the cave, the exhaustion had simply overcome him. He was disgusted to see that several hours of the day had been wasted, and that the late afternoon sun now shone brightly in the sky.

He sat up and recalled the events of the past two days. The tower, the cave, the field… He knew the Death Eaters had been informed of their mission to cause mayhem to the Muggles, and he did not care if they got carried away. The lives of Muggles could be sacrificed if the biggest battle of all could be avoided.

His thoughts were centered on the Order. Surely Harry had told them of the events that transpired atop the tower. Having not known of the situation, he was certain that he was now a target for the organization he sought to help. His first task was to determine how he could possibly speak to any of them without being killed “ especially speak to Harry. He had to find Harry Potter. Severus could clearly remember the pure hatred that was present on Harry’s face the last time he had seen him. There would be no chance to explain. If he could not get Harry alone, wandless, Severus would be dead in an instant. Which of them would still hold the slightest belief in his loyalty to the Order? He knew Moody, Tonks, and the others tolerated him only because they had trusted Albus. Now that they knew Dumbledore was dead “ no, that he had murdered Dumbledore “ there would be no tolerance.

Remus “ could Remus Lupin be swayed? Regardless of the youthful rivalry that might have existed between them, Severus had still created the Wolfsbane Potion for him. This was not on Dumbledore’s orders, but a choice of Severus, and Remus knew this. Perhaps Remus could be persuaded into a semblance of understanding. Would he come alone? Severus doubted it. Even if he did, and believed what Severus told him, the others would think he was under a spell if he tried to defend Severus. It was not the best of options, but he was pressed for time and could think of no other choice.

Severus raised his wand. “Find Remus,” he thought. “Tell him I am alone and need to speak to him and to Harry. It is urgent. Beg him not to kill me on sight, and to let me explain first. I can give Harry the information he needs to bring down Voldemort.” He pointed his wand at the cave's entrance, and a silvery hawk shot from its tip. The hawk spread his wings and soared from the cave. All Severus could do now was wait.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Severus heard a popping noise at the mouth of the cave. “Severus?” the voice of Remus Lupin echoed into the cavern.

“I am here, Remus,” Severus called.

Severus breathed an inaudible sigh of relief as Remus made his way into the depths of the cave. “Is Harry with you, Remus?”

“Not yet, Severus. After much discussion, much heated discussion to be frank, I decided to come alone. I told the Order if I do not return in one-quarter of an hour that I am dead, and that they should kill you on next sight. If I returned to fetch Harry, this request was not a trap. You knew exactly who to play to, Severus.”

“I am playing at nothing,” Severus growled. “Bring Harry here so that we may plan the defeat of the Dark Lord. We haven’t much time.”

Remus, convinced the dark man was alone in the cavern, stepped away from Severus with a pop, and Severus began to pace along the back of the cave. How in the world could he possibly explain to Harry all the vital information he had and still maintain the time to create the Dark Lord’s demise? He had no idea how long it would take Voldemort to plan his horrible misdeeds, but Severus knew that every second that ticked by was one second closer to feeling the burn of the Dark Mark.

Finally, Severus heard the double popping, and the sound of heavy footsteps racing toward him. Before he could draw his wand, the sharp force of Harry’s body collided against him and shoved him against the wall of the cave. Harry’s hand gripped Severus’s neck, but before he could begin to squeeze, Severus spoke. “You would be well within your right to kill me now, Potter, but if you do, it will be a deadly mistake. To Miss Granger, to Mister Weasley, and quite possibly to you.”

Harry released his grip and shoved Severus to the ground. “I wanted to kill you the moment I saw you,” Harry spat. “You are alive only because Professor Lupin insisted I give him my wand.”

“My greatest thanks, Remus,” Severus murmured, picking himself up off of the ground and rubbing the spot on his neck where Harry’s hand had been. “Here, take mine as well, so he knows I do not intend to harm him or you.” He withdrew his wand and handed it to Remus.

“Alright Severus, we came to listen,” Remus said, a touch of tension in his voice. “It is still in your best interest to explain quickly.”

Severus stood and faced the two men. “I can “ and shall “ lead you to him. But first, you must know some of the things of the past that have led to this moment. Only then will you believe what I say is true.”

“Speak quickly,” Harry stated, glaring at him.

“I am well aware of our time constraints, Potter!” Severus shouted. Collecting himself, he spoke calmly again. “The Death Eaters are currently destroying as much of the Muggle world as they can. When the Dark Lord summons the them, they know they are to appear with the intent to fight to the death. They are preparing for the final battle, but it need never get that far if we work quickly!

“You need to know a few things first, though Potter. The most important of which is this: Your mother was my dearest friend. Have you ever wondered why Dumbledore trusted me? This is the reason. After your parents married, Lily and I did not have contact. As you know, your father was no friend of mine. Out of respect for the awkward situation your mother would have been in, I simply left her alone. I began to mix with the Death Eaters “ originally their ideas were appealing to me. I was raised to be a student of Dark Magic, and the promise of power was great. I was the child of a bastard father and a murdered mother, I never really had friends, and I had hurt the only girl I could have ever loved. I was nothing. I needed the power.

“When I heard the prophecy, it was my chance to rise to greatness. To tell the Dark Lord that information “ so he could destroy before he was destroyed “ I would be second in this great line of power. I shared the information, and for doing so, I was indeed generously rewarded. In August of that year, I read your birth announcement in the Daily Prophet. I am a man of above average intelligence. I realized the implications, and I was stunned. I knew I had just endangered the child of my friend and I was severely distraught.

“I sought Dumbledore immediately. I confessed my misdoings and helped him devise a plan to keep you protected “ to keep your family protected. It was at this time we realized I could serve a very useful purpose to the Order. A Death Eater close to the Dark Lord sharing information of his whereabouts? It was ingenious. During the next year, regardless of how much your parents moved around in hiding with the Order, the Dark Lord always seemed to know about it. It became obvious to me that someone close to your parents was feeding information to Voldemort. At that time, Albus and I discussed the options, and decided the best approach would be the Fidelius Charm. I am the one who recommended they use Black as the Secret-Keeper. He and James were inseparable. There was no way he could be the traitor.” Severus’s voice dropped to a deadly whisper as he continued, “You have no idea how much I regret that now. When I found out Black had escaped from Azkaban, I was livid. And that night I found you in the Shrieking Shack trying to help him, all I could think of was that the man in front of me had killed Lily. I was enraged. I would have killed him at that very moment if I hadn’t been stopped.”

Harry gave a small gasp. Realization dawned on Remus’s face as well. “Severus…” Remus began, but Harry interrupted sharply.

“My godfather did not betray my parents! They switched! It was Wormtail. He was the Secret-Keeper!”

This information took a moment to register through Severus’s mind. His brow crinkled in fury. “Wormtail!” he screamed into the darkening cave. His voice was half rage, half sob. Regaining his composure, Severus looked directly into Harry’s Lily-green eyes and said simply, “I will kill him.”

Harry, overwhelmed, could barely nod. At that moment, he understood why Dumbledore had trusted the Potions Master. The man had loved his mother. He had given information to Voldemort that had led to her death. Dumbledore knew Severus could not live with that regret, and that after her death, Severus really did abhor everything the Dark Lord stood for. “Tell me how I can find her killer,” Harry whispered fiercely.

“Harry, first you must know this “ Dumbledore chose to die. We had been planning for it all year, which is why he was educating you privately. Ultimately we knew that with the knowledge he was passing on to you, you would be capable of destroying the Dark Lord. We could not tell you, because as I have had the pleasure to discover first-hand, your skills in Occulmency are deplorable. Any Death Eater with a passing knowledge in Legilimency could have reported this to Voldemort. We could not take that risk.”

“I understand,” Harry said, and by the look of comforted pain in his eyes, Severus believed that he spoke the truth.

“When Draco and I returned to the Dark Lord, he realized that killing Albus was the ultimate thing I could have done for the Death Eaters. After all, this man had kept me out of Azkaban, had given me a job, and trusted me when no other would. Again, the Dark Lord generously rewards those who are close to him - those who are loyal. He is in hiding, preparing for the battle we know will come, and his location is a mystery “ due to the Fidelius Charm.”

“The Fidelius Charm?” Harry’s eyes widened. “But then “ who?”

“I am the Secret-Keeper, Harry. I fully intend to lead you directly to him.”

Harry’s legs weakened beneath him and he crumpled to the ground. “You can take me to him? Why are we waiting? Let’s go right now!”

“Because first of all, you need some strength,” Severus grumbled, as Harry pulled himself back to a standing position. “Secondly, there is still a small bit of information you need.”

“R.A.B?” Harry said firmly, pulling the locket from his robes.

“Again, Harry, know that you were not told everything because of your abominable skill in Occlumency. Albus still knew more than he shared with you during his life. It was my job to complete your education after his death.”

“Only two of the Horcruxes have been destroyed,” Harry noted. There was a trace of despair in his voice as he continued, “There’s no way we can find and destroy the other four of them in a matter of a few days!”

“Trust the Order, Harry,” Severus replied. “You must know that Albus had many contacts, and you can’t possibly believe you have met the entire membership of the Order.”

“I don’t understand,” Harry said.

“I don’t have time to explain everything in detail right now,” Severus continued, “but I can assure you that as of this date, only one Horcrux remains “ the snake.”

“The snake? What about the locket? It’s a phony!”

“Yes, and Dumbledore was well aware of the irony. Until that moment, Albus had only suspected the snake as a Horcrux. When he found the fake locket, he was certain. Regulus Black “ yes, the brother of your godfather “ brought the locket to Albus before his death. He hid it in the Black house until Albus had figured out how to destroy it.”

A look of horror overcame Harry. “Mundungus Fletcher! He stole it and sold it to someone in Hogsmeade!”

“No, Harry, he took the locket under Dumbledore’s orders, and gave it to someone in Hogsmeade “ Albus’s brother, Aberforth, the barman of the Hog’s Head.”

“Dumbledore’s brother?”

“Yes, and Aberforth appropriately disposed of the locket.”

“Something belonging to Ravenclaw or Gryffindor?” Harry was ticking the items off the mental list he had made just days before.

“What have you learned about the Horcruxes thus far, Harry?” Severus asked. Before Harry could answer, Severus continued. “They are made using trophy items “ items that are significant to the Dark Lord. He generously rewards those who have helped him. We were able to determine what would have been a fabulous trophy for him “ a wand. Magic saved him from the orphanage. You can’t perform magic without a wand. Somehow, Voldemort was able to locate Ravenclaw’s wand. After enchanting it, he took the wand to the person who so generously found him his wand. He told Ollivander he wished to donate the wand, as long as Ollivander never sold it and always kept it on display. Unbeknownst to Voldemort, Ollivander is also a member of the Order. Once Ollivander was able to create a perfect duplicate of the wand, he switched the one from the display, ransacked his own shop, and went into hiding with the Order. Most people thought the Death Eaters had taken him. Voldemort didn’t know what had happened, but he was able to see the fake wand was still on display in the store window, so he did not care. He is under the false assumption that his Horcrux is safe.”

Harry shook his head in amazement. “That was nearly a year ago.”

“As I said, Harry, this final mission has been underway for much longer than you and your friends realize,” Severus said.

“Ok, that explains two of them, which leaves the snake, which still needs destroyed, and the cup of Hufflepuff,” Harry recalled.

“The cup of Hufflepuff,” Severus said, almost fondly. “My reward for informing the Dark Lord of the prophecy. Of course at the time I had no idea what it was, but Dumbledore was properly shocked when he shared the cup’s significance with me and I was able to literally drop it into his lap. The Horcrux Dumbledore had been seeking had been in Hogwarts for fifteen years “ in my chambers, practically under his nose.”

Harry did not think he could take in any more. In the course of five days, he had gone from only knowing what a Horcrux was to finding one, to realizing four more still remained, to learning all but one had been destroyed. “How do I kill the snake?”

“You do not. I do. I will kill it, and then leave you alone with a man “ a mortal man. At that point, it is up to you to finish him. I will begin my own quest at that point.”

“When?” Harry asked, noting the light outside the cave beginning to fade to blackness.

“We don’t have much time. A few days, at most. When can you be prepared to go?”

“Now,” said Harry firmly.

“Harry,” Remus finally broke his long silence, “I believe you will be successful, but what if you are not? Do you really want to do this without telling Ron and Hermione what you are doing?”

“They cannot come, Harry. It must be only you,” Severus reminded him. “Go take care of your friends,” his voice was soft and almost kind, “you are lucky to have them. Return here to me when you are ready.”




Several hours later, when only the multitude of stars and the crescent moon lit the forest, Harry returned to the cave. He reflected for a moment at how quickly war could change a man. Only a few hours earlier, Harry had been prepared to kill Snape the moment he saw him. Now, not only did he believe he was for the side of good, but he was trusting Snape to lead him to Voldemort.

Once Harry was inside the cave, Severus asked him if he was ready. Harry nodded in reply. Severus looked at Harry, looked into the eyes of the woman he had helped murder all those years ago, and said firmly, “Voldemort is hiding at his mother’s shack in Little Hangleton.”

Seconds later, the two were standing near the run down building. Severus looked at Harry. “There is only one room inside. I will go in first and kill the snake. After I have done so, I will open the door for you to come in. Are you sure you are prepared for this?”

“Yes,” said Harry resolutely.

With that, they made their way to the door of the shack. Severus cracked the door open and slipped inside. Voldemort sat before him at a desk surrounded by maps and other papers. He jumped to his feet at the sight of Severus, knocking his wand to the floor.

“Snape!” he snapped harshly. “What are you doing here? I told you I mustn’t be disturbed. You were to be second in command. Is there a problem with the Death Eaters?”

“No, my Lord, there is no problem with the Death Eaters,” Severus responded as he watched the large snake slither possessively around her master’s feet.

“Then what could you possibly be doing here?” Voldemort raged.

“There is another problem, Master,” Severus murmured, spitting the last word from his mouth. “Your Horcruxes.”

The red eyes narrowed into fine slits. “What do you mean, a problem with my Horcruxes? You should not even know of their existence, Snape, let alone any problem that may exist.”

“You are not the only one skilled in the art of Legilimency and Occlumency, and therefore, you are wrong, Voldemort. In fact, I would say you are dead wrong.” With those words, Severus pointed his wand at the snake and cried, “Avada Kedarva!” A green flash burst from his wand, and the slithering snake fell still.

“Snape! What have you done?” Voldemort’s voice was a cold, deadly rage. His red eyes practically glowed with fury.

Severus sneered back at him, and with all the hatred that had consumed him for the past seventeen years, hissed, “For so many years I have helped you. Helped you murder, helped you destroy, helped you ruin people's lives. In fact, you ruined my life!" The passion rose in his voice as he continued, "Now, here, finally I get to salvage what is left of it. The words that once destroyed my life will now end yours: The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches!” He reached his hand for the door of the shack, and yanked it open forcefully. At the sight of Harry Potter looming in the doorway, Voldemort’s anger exploded.

“Traitor! I told you of the half life I lived because of this inferior boy! You want to subject me to that life again?”

Voldemort reached for his wand, but Severus raised his first and cried, “Expelliarmus!” The wand flew out of Voldemort’s hand and landed with a clatter at Severus’s feet.

“Of course not, my Lord, I do not wish you to be subjected to a half-life such as you lived before. In fact, I do not wish you to be subjected to any life at all.”

With those final words, he exited the shack, setting his chin determinedly. He marched away from the building with a new quest, his heart set on avenging the woman he had ultimately killed so many years before. As for the two men he left behind, he did not fear. He had no doubt in his mind which of the two he would soon meet again.