Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Bad Girl by Daniela

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 10 - Draco’s Decision

It had been two weeks since Alanna had told Draco her story. Draco was just waking up on the Saturday morning after and he stretched. He lay there in his bed savoring the fact that he didn’t have to get up. Then he remembered that today was another Hogsmeade trip, and he would get to see Alanna.

He got up and got dressed in black trousers and a black shirt. He cleaned his teeth and slicked back his hair, then went down to the common room. It was still pretty early, and no one was there. He left the common room and hurried down to the Great Hall.

There wasn’t a significant amount of people in the hall, either, and Draco was almost alone at the Slytherin table, except for a few first years. They kept casting nervous glances at him, but he ignored them and spooned some cereal into his mouth.

Just as more of the students filed into the hall, still yawning and rubbing their eyes, the post arrived. Draco automatically looked up, but didn’t see his father’s eagle owl anywhere, so looked back down. He jumped in surprise when an owl swooped down to him and deposited a letter in front of his plate. It was a nondescript brown barn owl, thus Draco had no idea where it had come from.

He untied the letter, and gave the bird a bit of toast. As the bird hooted in gratitude and took flight, Draco unrolled the piece of parchment. His face paled as he read the contents, and as more Slytherins joined him, he hastily rolled it back up and stuffed it in his cloak.

Crabbe and Goyle sat beside him, but Draco didn’t stay. He mumbled something about having some business to take care of, and hurried off. He left them staring stupidly after him, their spoons in their mouths.

God, they’re idiots, he thought. He reached the common room and gave the password: “Pure Blood,” and rushed up to his dormitory. He sat on his green coverlet, and pulled the letter out of his pocket. He read it again, hoping against hope that he had somehow misunderstood his father’s orders.

Draco,

I trust you knew this day was coming. The day in which you would be inducted into the congregation of the Dark Lord’s followers.

You will meet me beside the lake at midnight tomorrow night. I trust you are a Prefect, so there will be no trouble with you being out of the dormitory after hours.

You will bring nothing and no one with you. You are to be escorted to a meeting by me, to be introduced to the Dark Lord and to receive his Mark. You are now of an age to execute my plan.

He is looking forward to meeting you, and I am looking forward to having you, my son, follow in my footsteps.

Do not report this to anyone, or there will be grave consequences.

Remember “ beside the lake tomorrow night. Do not be late.

Your father


Draco folded the parchment over and over, his hands shaking, as he thought about what he could do to escape this; but he could think of nothing. He could see no way out.

What am I going to do? he thought wildly. I can’t go. I don’t want to follow the Dark Lord. But if I refuse, Father will probably put me under the Imperius curse. I know he can do it. Then I won’t be able to refuse him.

He looked down at the letter in his hand, then rose and went swiftly down the stairs to the common room. He threw the letter into the fire as he passed, then exited the room. He would talk to Alanna “ he had told her what he would do if his father tried this “ but he had changed his plans a bit.

**



Alanna started at a knock on the kitchen door. She looked around to make sure no one else was in the room, then crossed to the door and opened it.

“Draco?” she asked as he gave her a kiss on the cheek. She stepped outside and closed the door behind her. “I thought we weren’t doing anything today until later.”

“I have to tell you something,” he said urgently, but quietly. “Will you come on a walk with me?”

“Of course, just let me tell my mother,” she said, turning to go back inside. “I’ll be right back.”

She found her mother in the barroom, behind the bar. “Mum!” she called. She squeezed past a few customers and finally reached her mother.

Her mother turned to look at her quizzically. “What is it, Alanna?” she asked as Alanna reached her side.

Alanna smiled at a customer that she knew well and then turned back to her mother. “I just wanted to let you know I’m going to go on a walk to get some fresh air. Do you mind?”

“No, no, have fun, dear,” her mother said after some contemplation. “But be back in a hour “ I’ll need you to take over the bar then.”

“Yes, ma’am, I’ll be back,” Alanna promised. “Thank you!” She added as she squeezed past the customers again, and finally emerged into the kitchen. She opened the door and found Draco waiting for her, looking a little impatient.

“I can go,” she said, and he grabbed her hand without saying anything and set off. She opened the back gate and they walked down the road to their spot.

It was now well into fall. Leaves carpeted the sides of the road, and Alanna and Draco climbed a small hillock to sit on a bed of leaves.

When they were settled, she turned to him. “Draco, what’s so urgent that you had to talk to me right away?”

He looked into her eyes, and said, “You remember when I told you if my father tried to force me to do anything, I would run, right?”

Alanna’s heart began to beat faster, and the colour drained out of her face, but she managed to say, “Yes.”

He moved a tendril of blonde hair out of her face, and said, “I have to go.”

“What did he do?” she whispered, her blue eyes wide. He told her the contents of the letter shortly and waited for her reaction.

She looked up at him, and said in a falsely calm voice, “So you’re leaving then?” He nodded, and leaned down to kiss her. The tears began falling down her face, no matter how she tried to stop them, and he kissed them away.

“Alanna, do you know what I’m going to do?” he asked softly, raising her face. She shook her head. “I’m going to the Ministry with my information.”

“You are?” she asked. A light came into her eyes. “You’re turning him in?”

“That’s right,” he said. “The fact that I can give his name, and that he owns all these illegal items, and that he’s performed at least the Imperius curse, will be enough to get him locked away somewhere.”

“Like Azkaban?” she asked hopefully. Draco smiled at her, and nodded.

“Probably,” he answered.

She kissed him, and said, “I would go with you, but I can’t. My mum needs me…” Her voice trailed off and she looked up into his eyes. “I’ll miss you and I’ll be waiting for you.”

He kissed her deeply. “I love you,” he said softly, and kissed her one last time. “I have to go,” he said. “I have to get out of here before tomorrow. No one can know about this, in case it gets back to the professors. Don’t tell anyone, please.”

“I won’t, I promise. And I love you. Please be careful,” she said. He nodded and got up. He walked away down the road. She watched him until he was out of sight.

When he was gone, Alanna got up. She was supposed to go back to the pub to work, and the talk hadn’t taken as long as it had seemed to. She turned to go back to the pub, but decided to take a shortcut she had discovered a few weeks ago.

**

Draco hurried up the road to Hogwarts, willing himself not to turn around for one last look at Alanna. He knew that if he looked back, he’d never be able to leave her.

He finally reached the front steps, and bounded up them. He hastened to his dormitory, staying out of sight of the teachers. He didn’t think he would be questioned about his presence when everyone else was in Hogsmeade, but there was no use taking chances.

He finally reached his common room, and dashed up the stairs to his room. He checked to make absolutely sure there was no one there, and grabbed his broomstick from where it rested against the wall. He flung open a window, and surveyed the grounds. There was no one except Hagrid, who was heading out the gates. He waited for him to trundle away, then climbed up onto the windowsill.

He took a deep breath and swung a leg over his broomstick carefully, so he wouldn’t fall. He ducked his head and kicked off, soaring above the castle quickly and passing above the grounds. He bent low over the broom and urged it to go faster. He needed to get there as quickly as possible. He wouldn’t be surprised if Lucius was watching him right now.

**

Draco touched down in a back alley near the old, battered telephone box that served as the city entrance to the Ministry of Magic. He stashed the broom behind a Dumpster.

I hope no one saw me “ that would be bad, he thought fervently as he slipped from shadow to shadow to avoid being seen. He finally reached the telephone box, and slipped inside.

The booth was very cramped, so Draco held the receiver above his head, and dialed the combination his father had entered so many times with Draco accompanying him: 3-5-8-7.

“Welcome, Mr. Malfoy. Please present yourself and your wand at the security desk,” the monotone female voice said as a badge rattled into the coin return slot. It read only: “Malfoy.”

The telephone box began to descend below the street level of Muggle London. It became very dark inside the booth.

When the box finally reached the Atrium, the doors opened, and the voice said, “Have a nice day.”

Draco stepped out and went to the security desk. Eric, the security wizard, searched him and took his wand. While he did this, Draco looked around him. He had been here so many times; the place was very familiar. He just hoped his father wasn’t here. If he got caught, he would be in very hot water.

“You’re done, youngster,” Eric said gruffly. “Off you go. Don’t stray.”

Draco rolled his eyes. “I won’t, Eric,” he said, and moved off. He hurried to the lifts and waited for one. One finally came, and he moved aboard quickly.

As the lift rose, it stopped at every floor, and that same cool voice announced the floor and purpose. Draco waited for what seemed like forever until the cool voice announced, “Level 1 “ Minister of Magic’s Offices.”

Draco hurried off just as the lift doors snapped shut. He turned and found himself in a small reception office. He stepped forward hesitantly, and the receptionist looked up.

“Yes?” she asked kindly, looking at him over her glasses. “Can I help you?”

“Uh, yes,” Draco said. “I’m here to talk to the Minister. My name is Draco Malfoy.”

“Do you have an appointment?” she asked, opening a book. She closed it when he shook his head.

“I have some important information to disclose,” he said carefully, trying not to give away more than he had to.

She nodded. “However, no one gets in to see the Minister without an appointment.”

“Could you just ask him?” Draco asked. “Tell him I’m Lucius Malfoy’s son.”

The receptionist shook her head, but picked up the phone. “Don’t get your hopes up,” she warned. “Just because you’re someone’s son “ Oh, hello Minister. There’s a young man here to see you “ he says he’s Lucius Malfoy’s son.”

Her eyebrows shot up past her white hairline. “All right, Minister. I’ll send him in straightaway.”

She set down the phone, her eyebrows still raised. “Well, he says he’ll see you now. Go on in.” She nodded toward the heavy double doors at the other end of the room.

“Thank you,” he said politely, and squared his shoulders. He had wished that the Minister would be occupied, so he would have some time to compose himself, but he would just have to grin and bear it.

His hands shaking, he reached for the doorknob and turned it. Suddenly, he had a terrible thought. What if Father’s in there? he thought, panicking. It’s too late to back out now. He walked into the office and closed the door behind him.

“Draco! How are you?” Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic, exclaimed, rising from behind his desk. “How’s your father?” He caught Draco’s hand in a warm handshake.

“He’s fine, sir,” Draco replied, forcing himself to sound upbeat.

“Sit, sit!” cried Fudge, gesturing toward a chair while he sat back behind his desk. “What did you need to see me about?”

Draco swallowed hard. He ran a hand through his hair; by this time it was shaking like mad. “Well, I have some information to disclose, actually,” he said. “It’s about my father.”

Fudge’s eyes narrowed, but he nodded for Draco to continue. Draco took a very deep breath, and clenched his hands together to stop the trembling.

“Some of this may sound entirely insane, because of my father’s status here, but can I assure you this is all true.” Draco took in another long breath and then sighed. “He is a Death Eater, and has tried to force me to become one. In fact, I was supposed to meet him tomorrow, to go to a meeting, and receive the Mark. He also has illegal, Dark items under our drawing room floor. I am assured that he has practiced at least the Imperius Curse “ I was a witness to that.”

“Lucius Malfoy, a Death Eater?” Fudge asked, his eyes wide. “But “ he has made such generous donations to the Ministry. He has never been deemed suspicious.”

“Believe me, he is,” Draco said grimly. “If he knew I was here, I am sure he would not hesitate to perform one of the Unforgivable curses on me. I have seen him perform the Imperius curse on someone. I don’t know who, but it was at our manor.”

“I cannot believe this,” Fudge said wildly. “He has been privy to many discussions of supreme secrecy. Has he been relaying everything to You-Know-Who?”

“Most likely,” Draco said.

“Wait,” Fudge said. “He couldn’t have. You Know Who has not risen again. The only people your father could have been relaying anything to “ if, indeed, your story is to be believed “ are other Death Eaters. And they have not said a thing, or tried anything.”

Oh, crap, he doesn’t think Voldemort’s back, Draco thought as Fudge began to laugh. How do I make him believe me?
“Minister, please call someone from the correct Department. I am willing to speak under the influence of Veritaserum, and then you will know for certain I am not lying,” Draco said hastily. “Please.”

Fudge looked at him for a long moment, then nodded. “Alright. Just to make absolutely sure you are telling the truth.”

He called to the receptionist to call someone up.

**

When the designated wizard arrived with the Veritaserum, Draco was almost wringing his hands with nervousness. Fudge stood up, and boomed, “Ah, welcome, Scott. I called you here because young Mr. Malfoy has some information that I would like to verify. Draco, please sit down.”

Draco sat back in the chair he had vacated when Scott had entered.

“Now, don’t be nervous,” Scott said as he unstoppered the vial of Veritaserum. “We’re not going to ask you your innermost secrets “ just those about your father!”

Draco nodded, and squeezed his eyes shut and opened his mouth. Scott poured it down and his voice took on a harder tone.

“Draco Malfoy,” he asked as Fudge looked on from the shadows. “What information do you have to disclose about Lucius Malfoy?”

Draco opened his mouth, and words poured out before he could stop them. He told them about all the Death Eater meetings that had been held at the manor itself, and about all the Dark artifacts under the drawing room floor. He spoke of the time he had witnessed his father perform the Imperius and Cruciatus Curses on a wizard he didn’t know.

When he had spoken himself out, his head sagged against the back of the chair. Fudge came out of the shadows and nodded decisively.

“Thank you, Scott,” he said curtly. He turned to the open door. “Maggie, please call a squad from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement “ we are going to Malfoy Manor.”

Draco heard Maggie answer in the affirmative, then Fudge turned back to him.

His voice was much kinder and not as hysterical now. “Draco, do you feel well enough to get yourself as far as the Leaky Cauldron?”

Draco nodded feebly. Fudge smiled. “Well, I suggest you head to there. You are not in peak condition, so I do not think you will be able to make the trip back to Hogwarts. Do you have sufficient funds?”

Draco nodded, and Fudge clapped him on the shoulder as he rose. He found himself to be a little woozy.

“Good luck. Thank you for your information, son.”

Draco roused himself enough to answer, “You’re welcome, Minister. I hope the information was sufficient. If you don’t mind, I wish to be excused.”

“Good boy,” Fudge said. “Take care of yourself!”

Draco took the lift down to the Atrium, and quickly flooed to the Leaky Cauldron. He would stay there for now. His father would never look for him there. He had never set foot in the place, and assumed Draco never would either.

He assumes too much, Draco thought grimly. He emerged from the fireplace in the Leaky Cauldron and found Tom, the innkeeper. He asked for a room and was quickly escorted to one.

“Here you are, young master,” said Tom creakily, and he bowed low, and then left. Draco closed the door, locked it, and flopped down on the bed. He was exhausted and trembling. His eyelids dropped and opened again, and then they dropped again. This time, they stayed down, and Draco fell into a deep sleep, brought on by exhaustion and fear.


**

When he woke, it was dark, and about six o’clock. Someone must have noticed I’m gone, he thought as he yawned and stretched. They can’t do anything about it, though, if they did notice “ I’m long gone, and I can’t go back until it’s safe.

He jumped up when he heard a noise, only to find an owl pecking at the glass of his window. It had a letter with the official seal of the Ministry. Draco leapt to the window, and flung it open. He grabbed the letter and the owl flew away.

He unrolled it and found a short note from Fudge.

Mr. Draco Malfoy,

We have successfully arrested Mr. Lucius Malfoy, and he is even now being escorted to Azkaban Prison. We applied Veritaserum to Mr. Malfoy, and he confirmed everything you said.

Thank you for your information “ it was greatly appreciated.

Your mother is still at Malfoy Manor. I suggest you go to see her.

Sincerely,
Cornelius Fudge
Minister of Magic


Draco folded up the letter and put it in his pocket, smiling. He got up and smoothed the bedcovers, and his tousled hair. He grabbed the small bag of money he kept in his pocket, and went downstairs to find Tom.

“Thanks, Tom,” he smiled as he handed over the money for the room. “I’ll see you.”

Tom nodded. “All right, young master,” he croaked. “Have a good night.”

Draco waved on his way out the door. He headed to Malfoy Manor, detouring slightly to grab his broomstick from the alley he had left it in.


**

He finally arrived at his home, and quietly opened the big doors. He slipped inside and went to find his mother.

He found her in the master bedroom. He had expected her to be crying, but she wasn’t. She was dry-eyed, and calm. She was staring at her mirror as she sat in front of it, obviously lost in thought.

“Mother?” he asked tentatively. She gasped and whirled.

“Draco?” she asked. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at school?”

“I came to do some business,” he said, hesitating to tell her he was the one who had turned his father in.

But she guessed. “You turned your father in,” she said flatly.

He nodded. “Mother, I’m sorry, but I didn’t want anyone else to be hurt by him. I’m sorry.”

She shook her head and smiled faintly. “It’s quite all right, Draco. I understand that you had to do this. It was just quite a shock when the Minister came barging in!”

Draco impulsively sprinted forward and wrapped his mother in a hug. She stiffened, then hugged him back, stroking his hair.

“We’ll get through this, Mum,” he said. She nodded, and they went downstairs to talk.


**

After he had caught her up on all that happened, she shook her head. “I’m proud of you for being so brave,” she told him. “He could have caught you.”

“I know,” Draco said. “But he didn’t.”

“No, he didn’t,” Narcissa said, smiling.

There was a moment of comfortable silence, and Draco found the urge to tell his mother about Alanna. He didn’t know how to start, but she soon solved the problem.

“So, any girls at school?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

He flushed and she laughed. It was the first time in a very long time he had heard her truly laugh. It was the first time in his life he had been able to talk to her so openly and cheerfully. It was like she had been a prisoner all these years, and was only now free.

“So, tell me about her!” Narcissa exclaimed.

“Her name’s Alanna,” he said, blushing even more furiously. Narcissa nodded.

“She doesn’t go to Hogwarts anymore,” he said. This was the part he wasn’t sure she’d like.

Narcissa frowned. “What do you mean? Does she go somewhere else?”

“She got expelled,” he said. Before his mother could say anything, he said, “But it wasn’t her fault. She was wrongly accused.”

Narcissa faltered for a moment, then nodded. “I believe you. Well, how do you feel about her?”

“Very strongly,” he said, and his gaze turned inward as he thought about Alanna. “She’s beautiful, kind, she has a sense of humor, and she loves me.”

Narcissa smiled softly. “And you love her,” she said quietly. Draco nodded slowly, refusing to look at her.

“Don’t be embarrassed,” she said. “I’d like to meet her. Would you care for me to escort you back to Hogwarts?”

Draco nodded, and said, “That’d be great.” They hugged again, and his mother kissed him on the top of the head.

“We’ll leave in the morning,” she said. “Go to bed now. We all need to get over this shock.”

**

The next morning, Narcissa woke Draco up early and they had a quick breakfast. She led him to the fireplace in the master bedroom.

“I had a feeling you wouldn’t want to see the drawing room,” she said gently, and he nodded gratefully. She handed him some powder, and he stepped into the fire, and said clearly, “Hogwarts!” She did the same a few moments later.


They emerged in Dumbledore’s office. Unbeknownst to Draco, Narcissa had sent Dumbledore an owl explaining everything, and he was expecting them.

“Welcome back, Mr. Malfoy,” he said, rising from his chair. “I trust you had an…exciting trip.”

Draco nodded ruefully.

**

Draco dragged his mother down to the Three Broomsticks. “Come on,” he urged.

“Draco, how do you know the poor girl’s even up?” Narcissa laughed.

“She always gets up early when she has to work,” he replied shortly. They finally reached the pub, and he threw the door open.

Alanna jumped and turned. The dishcloth she held fell from her hands as her mouth dropped open.

“D-draco?” she stammered. Then she squealed. “Draco!” She threw herself at him, and he swung her around.

She suddenly noticed the elegant woman beside him, and he set her down. She smoothed her dress and looked at Draco.

Before he could say anything, Narcissa extended her hand. “Hello. I’m Narcissa, Draco’s mother. You must be Alanna.”

Alanna nodded, and took the extended hand. It was warm and Narcissa’s eyes twinkled.

“Hello,” Alanna said shyly.

“Don’t be shy,” Narcissa said, smiling kindly. “I think we’ll be great friends.”

Alanna grinned. “I’m sure we will.”

THE END



A/N: Wow, it’s over! I hope you enjoyed everything. I’ll be writing more fics, so please keep an eye out for those!!