Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

You're Still You by beachbum2320

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Ron and Hermione are getting closer...when will they finally admit their feelings for one another? Read on and find out!

The ending of this story is a little sappy...and Ron may be a little OOC. But I like it anyway. Oh, and again, I only take credit for the plot. :D
The day dragged on in Ron’s opinion, but finally they had finished dinner and dispersed. Harry could tell just how much his friend had been looking forward to the “lesson” with Hermione, so he convinced Ginny to play chess upstairs. When she looked at him inquisitively, he motioned over to the piano, where Ron and Hermione were quietly talking. She grinned broadly and followed Harry without question. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley retreated upstairs as well, leaving Ron and Hermione alone in the living room.

Once they left, Ron pulled up a chair and placed it next to Hermione’s at the piano. But as soon as he sat down, he realized just how nervous she was making him. It was as though he had forgotten how to act around her. Unfortunately, he had no idea that Hermione was feeling the same way. She noticed that the room seemed hotter than it was before, but then realized that it was probably just the fact that Ron was there…with her…alone…

Just relax, she told herself, but it didn't seem to do much good. Focus. You're just showing Ron how to play. It's no big deal. But it was a big deal. Any time that she could spend alone with him was a big deal to her.

She slowly began to point out the differences between the white keys and the black keys, and explained the scales and notes that he would need to memorize. Hermione began to relax as she spoke; she tried to focus more on what she was saying rather than the way that he was looking at her.

Ron was listening intently, but he couldn’t help but watch her and smile. She was so excited about explaining something that she knew a great deal about, and it made him happy just to see her happy. Gradually, his anxiousness disappeared and was replaced with this desire to learn to play the piano really well. He wanted to make her proud…perhaps even impress her with something that he could potentially be good at.

There were times throughout the hour they played that they came close to discussing their feelings for each other, but one of them would change the subject or make a joke to avoid that discussion. Needless to say, they both went to bed that night content, feeling a little closer than before and taking pride in sharing a love of the piano with the other.

****************************************************

Ron became very good at the piano over the next few weeks. He and Hermione spent a few more nights practicing together, and he would stay up late every night and practice while everyone slept. For some reason, playing the piano felt right, and he thought that it was one more way to get closer to Hermione. He found a few songbooks in Diagon Alley the day they went to visit Fred and George, so he continually practiced but kept the songbooks to himself.

One night, Ron decided that it was time to show Hermione what he had been practicing. After Harry and Ginny and his parents had turned in, Ron looked over at Hermione, who was reading a book on the couch.

“Hermione?” he called softly from the piano.

“Hmmm?”

“Can you come over here for a minute? There’s something I want to show you.”

“Okay,” she agreed. She placed the book on the couch and took a seat next to Ron. He took a deep breath and continued.

“I’ve been practicing the piano for a few weeks now, and I think I’ve gotten pretty good. Not as good as you, but I’ve been really trying.”

She smiled at him. “I know, Ron. You’ve progressed really well. I’m quite proud…”

“There’s more,” he interrupted. She looked at him inquisitively as he continued.

“I’ve been wanting to tell you something for a long time now. I don’t know when I started feeling the way I do, or why…but I’m really not good at explaining stuff like that. So I thought it’d be better if I…well…showed you.” Then he pulled out one of the songbooks he had bought, and placed it in front of him. He positioned his fingers on the keys, and began to play and sing quietly.

Through the darkness
I can see your light
And you will always shine
And I can feel your heart in mine
Your face I’ve memorized
I idolize just you


Hermione immediately recognized the song. He father used to play this song for her mother when she was younger. It made her heart swell every time she heard it. And for Ron to be singing and playing it for her, about her…it made her happier than she’d ever been in her whole life. She began singing quietly along with him, which made him smile and turn a little red. But he continued.

I look up to
Everything you are
In my eyes you do no wrong
I’ve loved you for so long
And after all is said and done
You’re still you
After all
You’re still you

You walk past me
I can feel your pain
Time changes everything
One truth always stays the same
You’re still you
After all
You’re still you

I look up to
Everything you are
In my eyes you do no wrong
And I believe in you
Although you never asked me to
I will remember you
And what life put you through

And in this cruel and lonely world
I have found one love
You’re still you
After all
You’re still you


When he finished playing, Ron turned at Hermione. She was smiling at him with tears in her eyes.

“Ron, that means the world to me.” She quietly explained that her parents used to sing this to each other. “I can’t adequately express to you just how much you’ve touched me. Not just tonight, either. You have been such an influence on my life since the day I met you. In fact, I can’t imagine life without you. I…I love you, Ron.”

It was his turn to have his heart swell. He stood up and took both her little hands in his. She followed his lead, shaking as she slowly rose from her chair. “I love you too, Hermione. I always have.” They both stood there for a minute, absorbing what had just been said and gazing at each other. Then, slowly, he leaned his head closer to hers and closed his eyes. Her heart fluttered as she closed her eyes and leaned into his kiss. A jolt of energy shot through both of them as their lips touched, and finally six years of romantic tension had been released. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and his strong arms pulled her close. She ran her hands through his messy hair and his arms held her waist delicately.

It took a great deal of effort for them to finally part, but they did, and they continued to hold each other close for a long time afterward. As they sat together a few minutes later on the couch, he hesitantly slipped his arm around her shoulders, and she placed her head on his chest.

Perfect, he thought to himself. Absolutely perfect.

A/N: TA DA! That’s my story and I’m sticking to it lol. Hope you liked it! :)