Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Potter and a Riddle by Sophie_McKinsley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“You can’t tell her, Harry,” Hermione whispered frantically.

“Why not?” said Ginny viciously.

Katherine was hearing this conversation as she walked up to bed on Sunday night. Since Harry had gotten back, Hermione and Ginny had been arguing in heated whispers. Only a few moments ago had Katherine realized they were arguing over her. She slipped away and was sure no one had noticed. She laid down in bed and closed the curtains. She stared at the ceiling awhile thinking about the weekend. Her eyes fluttered closed as she slipped into a dream in which she was surrounded by a circle of masked men.
***
“Good morning,” Harry greeted her as she took a seat across from him. The sun hadn’t woken her early today and most of the house was already at the table.

“Good morning,” Katherine answered looking around at them. “Where’s Hermione? She had already left before I was up. Is she not down here yet? I could have waited for her.”

Harry shook his head vigorously at her, but he was too late.

“I’ll go get some more toast,” Ron huffed, scowling off down the table.

“He and Hermione had a row last night after you left,” Ginny whispered. “We don’t know what it was about. He won’t say. All we know is that they were having a private conversation away from everyone, and then suddenly, Hermione was yelling at him saying he was stupid. Well, Ron yelled back too, which he hasn’t done in ages. But of all the yelling, we couldn’t actually make out what it was about. It was all too vague.”

“Surprised you didn’t hear, actually,” Harry added. “She stomped and yelled all the way to your dormitory.”

Ron then returned looking thoroughly put out, then said, “Seamus and Dean had the last of it.”

They all sat in uncomfortable silence until it was time to head to their first class. With relief, Katherine headed out to Care of Magical Creatures. When Hagrid asked how everyone was doing, she told him as much about the row as she could. She grimaced at the sound of the far off bell. All the Gryffindors would be together in Herbology next, which meant Ron and Hermione would be together. It had only been a few hours, but she hoped they would sort out what ever the problem was soon, so she wouldn’t feel so anxious. Fortunately, no problem came up in Herbology, but perhaps it was only because Hermione chose to sit with a pair of Hufflepuffs instead of the Gryffindors. What surprised Katherine was that Hermione shot piercing stares not only at Ron but at Katherine and Ginny as well.

During lunch, Hermione retained her expression of disdain while sitting far down the table. Katherine wondered over a swig of pumpkin juice what exactly had made her so angry. She supposed it must have had something to do with the other argument with Ginny, but she couldn’t see how Ron would be the focus of her fury if that were the case. She continued to think it over as she walked to Arithmancy. Maybe she could talk to Hermione after class since Ron would be nowhere near. However she soon realized this was the wrong idea. Professor Vector had partnered them all off to run through tables and she had put Katherine and Hermione together. As Hermione sat down, a huff escaped her and she made no effort to correct Katherine’s answers. When they quizzed at the end of class, Katherine realized that some of her answers had indeed been wrong and she was assigned another two tables before the next class. Fury running through her, she stuffed her books in her bag and rushed out. As she turned down the hall, her bag ripped cleanly in two. She turned around to see Hermione smirking.

“What was that for?” Katherine snapped.

“Like you don’t know,” Hermione answered sarcastically.

“Actually, I don’t. Would you mind filling me in?”

“Yes, I would mind.”

“Hermione, if you and Ron are going through the pits, that’s not my fault.”

“Oh really, well keep your hands off of him then.”

“What!?!” Katherine yelled in bewilderment. The people in the hall were starting to gather around them by now, waiting to see what the argument would become.

“Don’t act surprised. You’ve been trying to take my place since you got here.”

“No, I haven’t. Why would I want to do that?”

“Oh, so now you belittle me.”

“No I didn’t mean it like that. I just…”

“You know, I almost pitied you, until I saw how selfish you were. Besides…” Hermione paused staring around at the crowd, a glint coming to her eye, “You aren’t even that great. I mean who would have missed those questions in there.”

The crowd laughed. Most of them had been in the class and had finished the assignment with no errors.

“Well, I…”

“And why exactly do you follow Harry so closely, you’re more like a crazed stalker than a friend.”

“No I…”

“Really,” Hermione addressed the crowd now, “she keeps a scroll with his schedule and makes little love notes in the margins.”

The crowd laughed, some making cat calls and whistles. Katherine was shocked. Hermione was outright lying to hurt her. The crowd continued to laugh as Hermione continued. Katherine’s head was spinning. She wanted to run.

“Katherine, stay away from Ron. He needs someone good enough and you’re just a nobody.”

“Ms. Granger,” Professor Blue said, parting the small crowd. “Would you care to explain to me why you are harassing someone you claim is your friend?”

Hermione pursed her lips and turned to Katherine glaring, like it was all her fault she was going to be told off. Katherine shook. She had never had to deal with this before. Her eyes flew to Professor Blue, who she expected to be cross at her too, but his eyes were concerned, almost worried. She didn’t want to stay any longer. Without a word, she bent down and gathered her books. She walked through the crowd and made it to the stairs before breaking into a run. Tears blurred her vision as she ran down the staircases. She had almost made it to the Entrance Hall when she turned a corner and ran directly into someone. She apologized with a shaky voice as tears trickled down her cheeks. The person bent down to help her, but instead stretched out a hand to lift her chin.

“Is this your payback for my friends and me running into you?”

Katherine couldn’t speak. Of all the people she hadn’t wanted to see at this moment, he was at the top of the list.

“How fast do you run, anyway? Feels like I’ve been hit in the chest by a Bludger, or one might say in the heart.”

He winked and smiled, but Katherine only dropped her head again to gather her books.

“You’re in a state, aren’t you?”

“I’m not in a state,” Katherine snapped.

“Well, at least I got my answer,” he said, laughing

Silence fell and neither of them moved. Katherine’s feet began to go to sleep. She wanted him to leave so she could finish her crying here.

“What are you waiting on?” she asked looking up at him.

He smiled for a moment, and then let it fade.

“I’m waiting for you to tell me why you’re crying.”

“I don’t think you really want to. It will probably turn out to be pretty long.”

“That’s alright, I have a while.”

She sat down and scooted her back to the wall. He followed suit. She told him all about the argument and all of what lead up to it. After she finished she turned to look at him. He shook a semi-dazed look from his eyes, and smiled.

“It seems to me as though Hermione’s jealous.”

“But how do I fix it?”

“I don’t know, give it time. It’ll most likely blow over.”

“Thanks.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Well, you listened.”

“Yea, Mum always says that listening sometime helps more than advice, or something like that. You want to go to dinner now.”

He helped her gather her books and held her bag while she performed the repairing charm. She put her books inside and they walked together down to the Great Hall. As soon as they entered, they waved a short goodbye before turning to walk to a different table.

“Wait,” she said, but it was too late. He was already out of ear shot and she did not want to walk towards the Ravenclaw table in front of the entire school.

Katherine joined Ginny, Ron, and Harry at the end of the Gryffindor table. Ginny looked at her solemnly before offering her some stew.

“Professor Blue was looking for you,” Harry said, reaching for more potatoes.

“You alright?” Ginny whispered.

“Yeah, I was just a little overwhelmed.”

As they ate, Katherine told Ginny all about the incident with the Mystery Man. Ginny was genuinely excited and nearly ran over to the Ravenclaw table herself to find him. Katherine and Ginny stood to leave, deciding not to wait for the boys who were still shovelling in pudding. They had only taken one step before a strong hand rested itself on Katherine’s shoulder. They both turned to see Professor Blue.

“May I see you in my office? You ran off before I could speak to you earlier.”

Katherine turned to Ginny who nodded and sat back down to wait for Harry and Ron. Professor Blue walked swiftly from the hall and lead quickly to his office. He offered a chair to Katherine, who accepted quickly, panting from the brisk pace. The office was very tidy. Three vintage brooms signed by old Quidditch players hung on the wall to the left. In the corner behind the desk sat a carved wooden pedestal with a Pensieve on top. In the opposite corner sat an empty metal perch with a padded table beneath it. The desk in the center had papers divided neatly by class standing near the right edge and a clean in-tray on the left. From behind the desk, Professor Blue watched a model broom stick fly around overhead. Stopping the broom, he said, “Well Katherine, that was quite a show today. Do you mind if I call you Kathy?”

“Yes, and yes I do mind; I prefer Katherine, if you please. But as to the ‘show’, I’m sorry I disrupted the…”

“You disrupted? I think not. I think you showed a great deal of self control today. And I think I will call you Kathy.”

“If I’m not in trouble, why did you ask me to come? It’s Katherine.”

“I wanted to see if you were alright, Kathy.”

“Is this a test to see how long you can annoy me before I hex you?”

“Ms. Evans, don’t forget that I’m a Professor.”

“Well,” Katherine said trying to find an argument, “I’m Katherine, not Kathy, so don’t forget that.”

“Ok, for tonight, we’ll drop it because I did have a point for bringing you here. And that is to ask you if you wish to know what Potter is up to and be a part of it.”

“Shouldn’t that be up to Harry?”

“I’m not asking Harry, I’m asking you.”

“What do I have to do with what he’s doing?”

“Well, he is fighting against the man who destroyed your family. After all, he is your last family alive.”

Katherine looked away. Professor Blue was smiling in a highly self-satisfied way. He knew, that meant he must be with the Order. She frowned in thought.

“Still, I barely know him. If he wishes to request me to join him, I will be more than willing to consider it, but until then…”

“As you wish, I won’t tell you anymore then,” he said a little disappointed, motioning her to the door. “Oh, one more thing.”

Katherine turned from her path and gave him an inquiring look.

“From now on, I expect you to show a little more backbone when others insult you.”

Katherine wanted to smack him. She walked over and stood looking down at him fuming. She opened her mouth to speak, but Professor Blue spoke first.

“I wouldn’t suggest starting with me. Besides, since she was obviously lying, I didn’t see why you even felt threatened.”

His tone was calm and superior and Katherine searched for the words to unleash her anger.

“Well, you may be the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor, but you are certainly not apt at understanding the emotions of others.”

She stormed out of the office and half up to Gryffindor tower. Maybe he was a little right, but he was still mostly wrong. She hadn’t felt threatened. She had felt hurt and betrayed. She entered the Common Room and checked to make sure Hermione wasn’t with the others before joining them in front of the fire.

“Still not talking?” Katherine asked Ginny as calmly as she could.

“No, she and Harry had a good yell while you were gone, which is really weird. I don’t remember them ever fighting,” Ginny answered in a whispered so neither of the boys would hear.

“It’s my fault,” Katherine muttered more to herself than to Ginny.

“It is not. It’s Hermione’s for being so… so… so stupid.”

“Thanks, but I still feel responsible.”

“Don’t be so selfish. Share the blame,” Harry broke in. “And by the way, keeping to yourselves doesn’t make me and Ron feel anymore wanted than being yelled at.”

“Ok,” Ginny said, “how can we fix things with Hermione?”

“No idea,” Harry concluded.

“Well, that was a helpful contribution,” said Ginny sarcastically.

The group laughed for the first time today and the mood lightened a great deal. It seemed that a silent group consensus was made to let Hermione make amends in her own time. Ginny and Harry began to talk quietly to one another, glancing often to Katherine but soon turning back to each other. After a few minutes, Ron joined them. Katherine wondered if they were talking about what Professor Blue had wanted to tell her. She tried not to think of that conversation, but what had bothered her most was how shocked she was to hear about the memory from the Pensieve again. She felt distanced from her friends. Not only Hermione, but the others as well. They didn’t know about her secret and she couldn’t tell them. They would never trust her if they found out she was Voldemort’s heir. Suddenly a feeling of loneliness swept through her. She wished she could write to Remus, but felt sure he would be doing something important for the Order and she did not want to be responsible for breaking his cover. She excused herself from the others and, although they tried to apologize and stop her, she went up to her dormitory and went straight to sleep.

She had strange dreams that night. Most were unimportant and incongruent, but they ended with the same dream from the previous week and she woke up surrounded again by the strange bright yellow light. Hermione continued her treatment all day. Katherine rushed so fast out of Transfiguration to find Ginny that she didn’t even notice when the
‘mystery man’ tried to flag her down on her way out. She took her place beside Ginny and listened as she spent most of lunch verbally bashing Hermione thoroughly as Ron pushed mashed potatoes around his plate. Katherine, Harry, and Ron ran into Defense Against the Darks Arts class that afternoon almost late after losing track of time. They took the last empty seats at the front of the class.

“Alright, last week we had jinxes and counter-jinxes,” Professor Blue began. “This week we will review curses and counter curses you should already know…”

The whole class had to demonstrate the proper forms of many common curses and they were assigned a two foot scroll on the proper uses of curses and counter curses to be brought in by Friday. There was a great shuffle as the students stood and exited that classroom. But again, like last week, their group was stopped before they reached the door.

“Kathy, please stay if you don’t mind,” Professor Blue yelled across the room.

Katherine rolled her eyes and muttered goodbye to the others before turning back towards the classroom.

“Yes, Professor,” she enquired sarcastically.

He propped himself against his desk with a smug look on his face. Smiling arrogantly he said, “Is that anyway to thank me?”

“For what?” Katherine asked sceptically.

“For what I’m about to tell you,” he answered, crossing his arms and looking very satisfied with himself.

“Then, thank you for being so informative, Professor.”

“You want to know your problem? A lack of respect. But never mind that now, after seeing Dumbledore’s memory I began to research why Voldemort chose you. What made you special? There were many other babies he could have chosen, so why you? Still I’m not sure exactly, but I have found some plausible reasons. One is that you come from very powerful wizarding blood. This is the broadest reason. Then, I found something very interesting. There is a prophecy. Actually, there are two, but the other concerns Harry. This one was the first and is much vaguer. Dumbledore knew about this one and left some writings of what he believed it to mean. He never set much store to Divination, but believed that the study of prophesies allows you to see what other think will happen and what they will most likely do to achieve the outcome the prophesy predicts. In what I found, the first prophesy was about a return to power. It describes only the person who would bring about the change and that person sounds like you. Would you like to know?”

He paused, staring at Katherine. His smile had faded and the look that replaced it was one of pity and concern.

“Do you want to know all I have been able to find out about it?”

Katherine thought for a moment. She could guess at what it might say and knew she couldn’t bear to think of it.

“No,” she said firmly.

“But how will you fight if…”

“No, I don’t want to know.”

Professor Blue stood up and walked over in front of her. He put his hand on her shoulder; it was very strong and comforting.

“You are very brave, you know, facing a whole new world as a different person,” he walked back and leaned on the table again. She stared around the room, not wanting to meet his eye. Knowing he would not get her to ask today, he finally let her leave.

She walked down the stairs and thought about the conversation. Professor Blue seemed very strange to Katherine. At one moment, his comments were biting and cold, but the next he seemed comforting and kind. As she entered dinner, all thoughts of Professor Blue left her mind. She sat down quietly beside Ginny, who was talking to Ron about Quidditch.

“Quidditch trial this Thursday, we’re already behind. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw have their teams and Slytherin has already had a practice,” Ginny complained to Ron.

“It shouldn’t be too big,” Ron said sighing. “I mean, we have me, you and Harry for sure. I think I’ll keep Coote and Peakes. So, we only need a chaser trial, plus a look at some people for reserve beater and keeper.”

“Will Harry be here this weekend?” Ginny asked.

“Don’t know. Here he is, ask him.”

“No,” Harry answered. “Ron, will you come?”

“Yea, mate. Of course I will.”

The vagueness of their conversation bothered her. She wanted to know what they were doing. She almost regretted turning Professor Blue down, but knew it should be Harry’s decision. She stood and walked out of the Great Hall leaving the others with their dinner. When she entered the Entrance Hall, she smiled to see a familiar face waiting at the bottom of the staircase. The ‘Mystery Man’ began to come to her, but as she took a step toward him, someone took her arm.

“Allow me to escort you to your common room,” said a smooth voice beside her. She turned quickly to see who it was.

“Draco Malfoy,” she whispered to herself.

“How convenient, I do not even need to introduce myself,” he continued, smirking.

“Excuse me, but I was supposed to be meeting him,” she said forcefully. Katherine tried to pull away, but Draco quickly jerked her back to his side.

“Well, you can explain it to him later,” he hissed. “I need to speak with you. Smile as we go by so he knows I’m not going to harm you.”

“So, you’re not going to harm me?”

“No, of course not. Why would I?”

They began to walk. Katherine glanced at the boy as she passed. He had a bewildered, disappointed look on his face. Now she was getting angry at Draco. How could he have ruined this chance?

“What do you want?”

Could he have found out about her secret? His family were Death Eaters according to Harry, maybe he was on a mission.

“I just wanted to extend a warm welcome to you from Slytherin house. My father and mother say for me to watch out for you. I have no idea why, but you must be important if our families are friends. I do feel sorry for you in fact, stuck with all of those pea-brains.”

“You seem quite arrogant to me.”

“No, I just know what is good for you. After all,” he said, brushing her hair out of her face and grasping her hand, “we must protect the pure-blood lines.”

“How do you know I’m pure-blood?” she snapped, finally able to pull away.

“My parents would never ask me to protect anyone but a pure-blood. I know there is something I’m not being told, but I will find out your secret. Good night.”

He walked down the stairs and back into the Entrance Hall. Katherine waited a moment, then ran down after him. She was hoping that her friend would still be waiting down there. She pushed open the door, and hurtled down the staircase. She looked around, but couldn’t see him. She ran back up the stairs to take one last look around. As she turned to walk to the Common Room, she saw him heading up the opposite staircase with his friends. She sprinted to catch him.

“Hey,” she yelled. “Hey.”

He turned to face her, but didn’t smile.

“Yes?”

“I came back to see you,” she said between gasps.

“Yea, well no need to explain, I understand. He’s very popular. At least now I know why you ignored me this morning.”

His voice was cold. Katherine frowned, wondering what was wrong. She studied his face, looking for an answer. Suddenly she realized what was wrong, she laughed in relief thinking about him being jealous that she might be with Malfoy.

“Funny, is it?” he concluded scornfully. He turned and rejoined his friends.

“Wait, I’m not seeing Malfoy,” she said dumbfounded, but he kept walking, leaving Katherine by herself. After a while, she turned and went back up her own staircase. As she turned up the one with the trick step, a hand grasped her shoulder and pushed her against the wall.

“I just thought you should know I saw you with Malfoy,” Hermione said, smirking in satisfaction.

“I…”

“Don’t think for a second I will let you hurt my friends. I know you’ve tricked them, but I can see the truth. You’re a spy, I know it,” Hermione interrupted, pushing her again against the wall. “I’ll be watching you.”

Katherine watched her descend the staircase back towards the Great Hall. After she was out of sight, Katherine continued up to the Tower. When she reached the Common Room, she sat and waited for her friends by the fireplace. When she saw them enter, she sighed with relief. She really needed to speak with Ginny. She stood to greet them, but stopped quickly. Hermione smiled smugly holding Ron’s arm. None of her friends were smiling as they walked up to her.

“What were you talking to Malfoy about?” Harry asked solemnly.

“Nothing, he was trying to butter me up,” Katherine answered turning to each of them pleadingly.

“I doubt,” Hermione answered.

“Hush, Hermione,” Ginny ordered. “You can tell us, you didn’t really do anything did you?”

“This is more serious than just talking to a Slytherin, so just tell the truth about what you said,” Ron added intently.

Katherine looked into her friends eyes. She couldn’t lie and say that she hadn’t really spoken with Malfoy, but they wouldn’t accept her if she told them the truth. That would only make them think she was even more involved with his family and the Death Eaters.

“I was telling the truth, it was nothing.”

She knew at once that she had completely lost their trust. Hermione was now telling the others her suspicions. Katherine left them standing there. Walking up the stairs, she ignored the yells to come back and explain.

She laid in bed staring at the curtain which she had pulled closed. Soon she was lying on the ground crying. Hooded figures were surrounding her. One stepped out and picked her up, saying, “This is where we shall finish. The First Prophecy will save us. Now, it will be fulfilled.”

He laid her down in front of the kneeling, hooded Draco, who was shaking fiercely.

“It shall begin now, boy,” the first man sneered.

Draco lifted his hand and removed his hood and mask. With tears rolling down his face, he leaned over and whispered, “I’m sorry.” Then a yellow light surrounded them. A single yellow beam of what looked like gold connected their chests. It pounded to the rhythm of her heart. Suddenly, she and Draco were weightless and floating above the circle. Both she and Draco had ceased crying and only stared at one another. She saw sorrow and pain in his eyes. Suddenly, a pain shot through her shoulder. She grabbed it and rolled off the bed.

It was still the middle of the night. She stood and stared out the window. The moon was very bright. Her heart was racing and her shoulder felt like it was on fire. She wondered what the dream had meant and what the prophecy really said. Deciding she had nothing left to loose, she pulled on her boots and silently crept out of the dormitory. She guessed by the embers in the fire it was 2:30 or 3 o’clock, but kept going towards the porthole. She slid out and made her way quickly to Professor Blue’s office. She nearly screamed when Peeves flew past carrying a coat rack and chair, but fortunately he didn’t notice her. When she reached the door of his office, she turned the door knob slowly and pressed against the door. However, it remained firmly shut. She tried again, but still nothing. Quietly she drew out her wand and said, “Alohomora.” She pushed as she turned the knob. This time the door gave way and she slid in. Just as she was about to light her wand, a very Scottish voice yelled, “Expelliarmus.” Her wand flew out of her hand, and just as it hit the floor, the lanterns lit.

“Oh, Ms. Katherine, you gave me a good scare. What are you doing here?” Professor Blue yelled angrily, but with relief in his eyes.

“I… I… I had a bad dream,” she said, suddenly very aware that she was wearing a very old fashioned flannel night gown.

He stiffened up as though he was going to yell again, but something stopped him. He exited through a door, presumably to his chambers, and returned holding a thick robe.

“Here put this on and have a seat,” he offered, holding it out.

Katherine did as she was told and sat staring at the floor.

“So, tell me about your dream?”

Katherine told him everything about the dream, then at the end told him about the incident with Draco and Hermione. When she had finished they sat in silence. Finally the silence was broken.

“So what do you want to know from me?”

“Tell me about the prophecy.”