Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Let It Be by sirius_star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A/N: My new fanfic, hope you like it!

Disclaimer: I don’t own Harry Potter I’m afraid!!
Sirius sighed as he boarded the train, dragging Remus and Peter along behind him. “Come on Moony, Wormtail, we have to get our carriage.”

“Alright Padfoot, we’re here” Remus replied wearily. He knew there was a reason they had to get to their usual compartment, although Sirius hadn’t quite filled him in. They went in and sat down.

“Where’s Prongs?” Peter questioned for the seventh time that day.

“Honestly Wormtail, can’t you remember anything? Dear ol’ Jamesie is down in the prefect’s carriage,” Sirius replied, with a touch of annoyance in his voice.

“But why? Why would Prongs be in the prefect’s carriage?”
“Peter!” both Sirius and Remus groaned.

“James is head boy Peter,” Remus told him.

“Ohhhh, but who in their right mind would make James Potter head boy?”

“That’s exactly what I said Wormtail,” Sirius laughed, “Maybe the teachers were ill or something when they decided on the head boy and girl”

“They made a good choice with the head girl, Sirius,” Remus put in.

“Who-“

“Lily Evans”


*****************************


James was walking down to the prefect’s carriage, he had to get the meeting over quickly, so the sooner it began, the sooner he could get to the safety of his carriage, and out of the firing line for the Marauders annual first day prank. He and Sirius had spent most of their summer plotting it. It was the biggest yet, in honour of their final year at school. They would be making everyone on the train fall madly in love with Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore, everyone but themselves, that is. It had been quite easy in the end. All they had to do was cast a spell on the train, and everywhere would be enchanted; they then had to remove it from their compartment, something which had taken a few words and the flick of a wand.

He arrived at the prefect’s carriage, still deep in thought, and walked straight into the door. He fell flat on his back and accepted a hand up. The same person handed him his glasses and went quiet for a minute. James put on his glasses and realised Lily Evans, the love of his life was standing there.

“Do watch where you’re going Potter,” she said coldly. “You shouldn’t be here anyway; this is the prefect’s carriage.”

“Really?” he replied, puffing out his chest. “You obviously missed the head boy badge I’m wearing.”

“Oh very funny Potter, hand it over so I can give it back to whoever you stole it from.”

“Hey, it is mine. I’m head boy; I got a letter from Dumbledore telling me.” He stopped, taking in the look of complete shock on Lily’s face. “Believe me; I was even more shocked than you. Who in their right mind would make me head boy?”

“Well, you missed the meeting. You need to patrol the train at regular intervals, and here’s a list of passwords,” Lily rolled off, clearly not taking anything in.

She walked back to the carriage where her friends were and screamed.

“Something wrong Lils?” her best friend Cassie asked.

“Nothing much.” She replied, glaring into the air.

“Anything that makes you scream has to be bad, saying that, the only thing that makes you scream is James Potter…”

“Lily, sweetie, what’s happened? Is it something to do with the new head boy?” her friend Fliss said.

“Hmm, I cannot believe who’s been chos’- Wait, do you know who it is,” Lily asked, her eyes narrowing. She had a feeling Fliss knew and hadn’t told her; after all, Fliss did live next door to Potter.

“Erm…possibly yeah… I saw the ‘Marauders’ as they call themselves once during the summer,” she said worriedly, then, seeing Lily’s face continued. “Only cos I was sorting the summer house out for when you lot were coming over, and they were out in Ja- err Potter’s garden cos Mrs Potter had banished them from the house for the morning.”

“You should’ve told me Fliss; instead I stood there and did nothing.”

“Sorry Lils, I thought it was safer to let you find out on your own, rather than tell you, so you couldn’t go yell at Potter while you were staying at mine.”

**************************


Sirius and James were looking at their watches. They had told Remus and Peter about the final details of the prank. Peter was amused by it, but Remus was slightly worried.
“If we’re the only one’s who don’t ‘love’ Dumbledore n McGonagall won’t it look like we did the prank?” he enquired.

“Well, yeah, but that way at least we get the credit, and can put everyone right again once we’ve been threatened with the usual, y’know, detention, suspension, taking house points…” James replied.
Remus continued to look apprehensive, but he knew he’d rather not ‘fall madly in love’ with the headmaster or Professor McGonagall.

“5, 4, 3, 2, 1, the spell is done.” Sirius and James yelled excitedly, like two first years.
They quickly composed themselves when Remus and Peter began to snigger at them. They sat and listened quietly, waiting to hear if their prank had gone to plan.

All of a sudden, a random third year Ravenclaw student threw open the door of the Marauder’s carriage, and ran in, yelling about his love for “the gorgeous Minerva McGonagall, who rocks my world” as he so bluntly put it.

The Marauders laughed, as they heard shouts like this coming from all over the train, some about Professor McGonagall, and others about Professor Dumbledore. They were slightly alarmed when one came in and yelled something about Filch, before realising he was only slating Filch for being in love with McGonagall.

****************************

At last the long journey was over, and the train had arrived at Hogsmeade Station. The students were still declaring their love for the two unfortunate teachers, as they left the train and got into the horseless carriages. They arrived at school and went into the entrance hall, the Marauders trailing at the back, not wanting to get caught up in bundle that was sure to occur, judging by the fact Professor McGonagall was standing at the doors to let them in. There was a loud yell as the person at the front of the crowd realised she was there. Chaos followed. The male students ran to McGonagall, and the females dashed into the Great Hall to see Dumbledore. Laughing, James saw Lily run past McGonagall, and suddenly he felt guilty. He had forgotten the prank would affect Lily too. “Oh well,” he thought, “can’t win them all.”

It came as no surprise that the moment they entered the Great Hall, (McGonagall had escaped in there, only to be followed) there was a loud yell. “Black, Potter, Lupin, Pettigrew, here NOW!” They turned round, grinning, and headed to the staff table. “SORT THIS OUT BEFORE YOU ALL GET A MONTHS DETENTION.”

“Sort what out, Minerva, baby,” Sirius said slyly.

She glared at them as they reluctantly drew their wands and muttered the spell to end the madness. So, as sudden as it had hit the students, it was gone. They all hurried to their seats, embarrassed, and the Marauders walked to the Gryffindor table, not before they had an earful from McGonagall, with the promise they would be sent to the Head’s office the next day.

Dumbledore rose, chuckling and spoke to them. “now that little ah ‘event’ shall we say is finished, may the sorting commence!” he sat down, chuckling again.

The new first years were sorted, and the feast began. When everyone had finished, Professor Dumbledore rose again.

“We all know these are dark times,” he began solemnly. “Lord Voldemort is still at large, and whilst the school is as safe as possible, be on your guard. You will have all been informed of the new precautions, and if you see anything out of the ordinary please inform your Head of House. Now, before we trot off to bed, I welcome our new Defence Against The Dark Arts Teacher, Professor Rickard, and to our new students also, I welcome you. Now without further speech making, off to bed I think.”


The Marauders got up and began to walk back to Gryffindor Tower, smiling about the success of their prank. Out of the corner of his eye James saw Lily glaring at them.

“Like the prank Lils?” he asked innocently.

“Loved it,” she replied sarcastically, before stomping off to direct the first years to Gryffindor Tower.

“Will you go out with me?” he added as a last ditch attempt.