Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Love Actually by mysteriousnight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Chapter Summary: Lily confides in her friends about a newly developed crush, while James confides in his friends about a fading love. (A few revisions were made to this chapter.)






It was lunchtime at Hogwarts, and Remus Lupin was enjoying his lunch with his three best mates, James Potter, Sirius Black, and Peter Pettigrew. He was taking in the beauty of Lily Evans.

He had never told any of his friends, especially James, because James had been in love with Lily since their first year at Hogwarts six years ago (though he had been, too). However, he was not about to take Lily away from James. It would be a betrayal beyond forgiving. This saddened Remus, but he had to deal with it. He decided to listen back into the conversation between James and Sirius.

“I told you, mate,” Sirius told James, “She and I are in a relationship, she just doesn’t know it yet.”

James laughed. “Padfoot, take it from someone who knows about rejection, she doesn’t fancy you,” he argued.

“Who are we talking about today, gentlemen?” Remus interjected.

“They’re talking about some Hufflepuff girl named Aislin Jones,” Peter said, wanting to be involved.

“Oh, I see, and why do you think she’s in love with you, Padfoot?” Remus asked.

“I can tell she wants me by the way she looks at me, Moony. There’s longing in her eyes. She wants me, I can feel it,” Sirius said with a dreamy look on his face.

“You’re mistaking longing for disgust, Padfoot,” James said with a grin.

“I’m guessing you fancy her, then?” Remus said, looking amused.

“Yeah, she’s…she’s something else.” Sirius sighed, ignoring James entirely.

“I think you’d have to be a git to ask her out,” James voiced as he sent a hand through his hair absentmindedly. Peter nodded excitedly.

Sirius couldn’t ignore James for very long. “You’re just jealous, Prongs, because I have someone who would say ‘yes’ to me asking them out, not ‘no’, like you’re used to,” he said, with a satisfied look on his face. Remus looked amused. Peter burst into a fit of giggles, and then immediately stifled them with his fist.

James made a move to hurt Sirius, then backed off, almost afraid to go through with it. He grunted and mumbled quietly, the only audible words being “git” and “not jealous.”

“I think it’s just about time to go to class,” Remus said as he stood up.

“Moony, we still have ten whole minutes, do you really think we’re going to leave right now?” James asked with a sarcastic tone.

Remus sighed. “It was worth a try.” He walked out of the Great Hall. As he walked, he caught one last glimpse of auburn hair, which made his heart want to come out of his chest. He quickened his pace, and hurried off to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

James, Sirius, and Peter were still sitting in the Great Hall, talking.

“Hey, Prongs, I dare you to try and ask Lily out again,” Sirius said, knowing full well of the outcome of the situation.

“Today does seem to be an okay day to do it, eh? I’ll give it a shot,” James said as he stood up. He added, “And if it doesn’t work today, I’ve still got the rest of the year. It is only September.” He grinned and Sirius and Peter burst out laughing. They watched as he made his way over to Lily and ruffled his hair, preparing himself to greet her.

Lily had seen James coming. She wasn’t too angry about it, though. The summer did him well, she thought. Lily Evans! Get a hold of yourself! It’s Potter you’re talking about here!

“Afternoon, Evans,” James said smoothly.

Lily turned to James after a look of horror to her friends, Fayre Tattersall and Seanna Ainsworth. She sighed and uttered, “Hello, Potter.”

There was a pause where James couldn’t think of anything to say, and finally Lily asked, “Er, Potter? Did you need something?”

James finally got up the courage to ask her the question that was begging to be said. He began, “Evans…I mean, Lily, I was wondering if…you wanted to go to…er…what’s that place called? Er, that place that school goes on certain, er, Saturdays?”

“Hogsmeade?” Lily said impatiently, and James’ cheeks reddened in embarrassment. Lily felt slightly ashamed for being rude, even if it was Potter.

“Yeah, I was wondering if you, er, wanted to join me on the next trip to Hogmeade?” James finished.

Lily had actually thought about saying “yes” to James. He seemed to be more mature than last term, or at least he seemed less arrogant. He was taller, and more handsome, with his Quidditch build showing more than usual. His big head hasdeflated, she thought. She decided on “no,” but maybe next time she’d change her mind.

“You know, Potter, I would, but I have this thing I have to go to…”

James felt completely depressed. He seemed to be getting used to it though, since he’d been rejected by his love about a hundred times previous to this time. He muttered, “I understand, thanks anyway,” and walked away, with the usual spring in his step no where to be found.

Lily felt bad for James. She said, “Sorry, Potter,” before she could stop herself.

James kept walking, but he grinned as he walked back his seat with the Marauders, thinking that this year might be different.

“What was that last line about, Lily?” Fayre asked concernedly, her bright blue eyes wide and twinkling. She was very good-looking. Along with her dazzling eyes, she had long beautiful golden locks of hair that bounced when she talked or moved. Her face was oval-shaped, with a small nose and thin lips.

“Yeah, it was as if you actually felt pity for pitiful Potter,” Seanna added with a grin. She was very attractive, also. She had short straight black hair that formed her face and went just to her chin. Her eyes were a dark hazel, and the nose in between them was small and fitting. With her two friends, she sometimes felt intimidated by their beauty.

Lily shrugged and replied, “It just came out.”

Seanna and Fayre looked at each other and then Lily suspiciously.

Sirius questioned James immediately as James got back to where he, Sirius, and Peter were sitting. “So?” he asked demandingly.

“So, nothing. She said ‘no’ again.”

“Sorry, mate,” Sirius voiced and added, “Let’s start going to class.” They got up and started walking toward the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

“I’m sorry about what happened, Prongs,” Peter added.

“It’s alright, I’m okay. You want to know why?” James asked, grinning.

“Why?” Peter asked excitedly.

“Well, as I was leaving she said, ‘Sorry, Potter,’” James talked excitedly.

“Yeah, but she’s feeling pity, Prongs, that’s not too exciting,” Sirius reasoned, and Peter nodded.

“I guess your right, but maybe it was just the way she had said it…” James went deep into thought.

The three Marauders met the fourth in front of the Defense classroom and stepped inside.

James couldn’t concentrate at all on what Professor Gringlesnap was saying in class. He was too busy thinking about Lily. She’s still absolutely gorgeous, but do I really want to spend the rest of my time trying to woo her? Or shall I give up on Lily Evans, the one I’ve loved for six years? He decided on the latter. James took one last look at Lily and sighed. That was it. He was done liking Lily.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the room, Lily couldn’t quite concentrate either. James has changed, she thought. I mean, look at him. He’s so dreamy now. Did the word “dreamy” just enter my mind? Oh brother. Just repeat this over and over: I do not fancy James Potter. I do not fancy James Potter. I do not fancy James Potter…But you do. I do not fancy James Potter! Yes, you do. I DO NOT FANCY JAMES POTTER! Her mind was at war. She needed to talk to someone. She decided to talk to Seanna and Fayre about her little problem after class.

Remus continued taking notes on the lecture, though he wasn’t exactly taking in all the information. He was thinking about Lily and all of her beauty. It depressed him that he will never have a chance with her as long as James is in love with her. And James will always be in love with her. Remus sighed and listened in to the lecture.

Finally, the bell rang for dinner. The Marauders almost flew down three flights of stairs and into the Great Hall, while Lily and her friends hung back a little.

“Look, you guys, I really need to talk to somebody about this…”

“It’s not about James is it?” Seanna asked as though deeply concerned. Her eyebrows scrunched into the top part of her nose.

“You haven’t finally started to like him have you?” Fayre inquired teasingly.

“Well, actually…”

“Are you serious? You’ve finally started to like Potter?” Fayre yelled rather loudly, though thankfully no one was around.

Seanna was grinning widely. She added, “Jeez, Lily, it’s about time.”

“I don’t know that I’ve actually started to like him, but he seems a lot different this year…and it’s a better kind of different. What’s that supposed to mean: ‘It’s about time?’” Lily asked angrily.

“Well, we always knew you’d start liking him at some point,” Fayre argued.

“Yeah, I mean, look at him, he’s gorgeous,” Seanna reasoned.

“If you like him so much, why don’t you go out with him, ‘Ana?”

“I did think about it actually, but I have my eye on some other catch,” she said as she blushed. She nervously put her golden hair into a small bun on the top of her head.

“Who?” Fayre and Lily asked in unison.

“Well…”

“Come on ‘Ana, we’re your best friends,” Lily whined.

“Yeah, you can tell us anything,” Fayre agreed.

“Well, its George Humpadink, from Hufflepuff,” she muttered.

“Wow, Seanna!” Fayre said, sounding completely ecstatic.

“Now what about you, Fayre?” Seanna wanted to change the subject.

“Well, actually, it’s Sirius Black’s brother, Regulus. He’s a year younger, in Slytherin.”

“Well, age is but a number,” Lily commented, grinning at Fayre.



All three girls sighed as they thought of their crushes.

They had finally made it to the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, and sat down in their usual seats, more excited than usual.

The Marauders inhaled food at an almost record-breaking pace. James decided to tell his friends of what he had discovered in Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

“Men, I have an announcement,” James said after they were all filled to the brim with food. James hesitated for a moment.

Sirius looked at the others, and then asked impatiently, “Well, what is it?”

“Well, I’ve decided something that will shock all of you, and maybe even make you whiz in your pants…”

“Get on with it, Prongs,” Remus ordered, laughing along with the other Marauders.

“I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way I will be happy this year is if I stop liking Lily Evans. So I have.”

The other Marauders were silent for a moment. All of a sudden Peter’s face went red when Sirius whispered, “Christ, Prongs, you were right! Look at Peter!” James and Sirius laughed, then Sirius added in a louder, mock-motherly voice, “Seems like Wormtail had a wee accident!”

Remus cleared his throat, disapproving of what the others were doing. “Are you sure, Prongs?” he asked, ignoring Sirius’ comment. He was starting to get anxious, even excited.

“Of course,” was James’ answer.

“I always knew that would happen at some point,” Sirius informed James.

“I didn’t,” James replied, mostly to himself.

James continued to eat his dinner in silence. This is going to be harder than I imagined. he thought to himself.