Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

It Did Happen, Didn't It? by fireandice

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I wiped a tear away from my face. This was a different Sirius then the one who had spent twelve years wrongly imprisoned. He was no longer bitter and cynical, but hopeful. Despite his realization at the end, he was still searching for something to love. I felt, at that moment more than ever, immense regret for the unfortunate events leading to Sirius’s wrongful imprisonment. I continued to flip through the diary, hoping to find some more important entries. Most of the entries following the November 10 one were interesting, but game me little helpful information. In them, Sirius voiced his fears, his regrets, and his hopes. He feared for his and Lupin’s safety and the fate of the world, he regretted not telling James how much he really cared about him, and he hoped to, someday, find something to love. He repeated that theme at the end of every entry. It seemed like the diary was not helping, and he was beginning to despair. That is, until an entry dated September 1. Dear Diary,

I knew it was stupid and reckless and silly, but I still did it. I’d heard about the Weasleys, and I needed to see for myself. I couldn’t believe that anyone, no matter how evil, could be so cruel to murder such a large group and leave them in the street for everyone to see.

But someone had. As I stared at their bodies, I noticed a girl with bushy brown hair staring at them, specifically at Ron, the boy Harry’s age. As I glanced at her, a name came to me. “Hermione,” I whispered, and felt a rush of some strange feeling. I knew, at that moment, that there was magic in her, and suddenly, a voice told me, “You have to save her.”

"All right, Harry,” I said to myself. I noticed the girl was about to break down, and I knew it was now or never. I ran out and grabbed her, praying that she wouldn’t scream. She didn’t, and within ten minutes we were safe at my little hide-away.

After I told her who I was and that I belonged to the Order of the Phoenix, she passed out into a deep sleep. I moved her to my bed and conjured a slightly lumpier one for myself in the other bedroom.

Lupin thought I was foolish. When he came over that night, he could not believe what I had done. But by the end of our discussion, I convinced him that I had to do it. How I convinced him is a story for another night, for it requires a bit more explaining than I am up to tonight.

I hope so much that Hermione is the something I’ve been looking for. And you know what, diary, I’m pretty sure she will be. Why would Harry lie to me?

If someone had been with me at the moment, they would’ve thought that my parents had just died or something. My tears fell freely for what seemed like eternity. Because I remembered then, I remembered it all. After crying for a good while, I glanced at my watch. "Oh my goodness," I said to myself, "I've been going for almost two hours!" I jumped up, securing the diary and the photo album tightly under my coat, and rushed out the door. Finding my way back to 12 Grimmuald Place proved to be much harder than finding my way away from it had been. Soon, however, I found myself in font of the large, stately manor, nervous and wondering if Harry had kept his promise. And even then, I knew he, at least, would be worried about me. I silently slipped in the door, and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw no one. But then, I realized, seeing no one didn't mean that no one was waiting for me. I glanced at the stairs, and sure enough, I saw Harry pull off his invisibility cloak. "Harry," I whispered, reading the anxiety, confusion, and anger in his face, "Harry, I'm sorry I was out for so long. I can explain everything, if you want me to." "No, Hermione," he said, meeting my eyes with a deeply hurt look, "If you've kept whatever you were looking for a secret this long, its obvious you don't want to tell anyone. Even your best friend." And with those cold words, Harry turned his back on me and left me alone with my feelings.