Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Not Always Perfect by KenTuck

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Blue Wagtail




It seemed that her life up to this point had been waiting for that wagtail to arrive. Wagtails were small birds, with long tails that gleamed in different colours. They were fancy and lavish birds to send letters with. They clasped letters in their beaks and flew with grace, looking like kites flying serenely through the sky. An esteemed academy such as Beauxbatons Academy only sent letters with the best.



Fleur had been sitting that day outside her family’s white marble chateau. She begged the wagtail to show up and grace her presence. The letter clasped in its beak would be an invitation to a new and exciting life. A magical life. If only it would come! Her fingernails scrabbled at the marble, trying to distract her worrying mind.




Watching all her brothers, Laurent, Maurice, and Gaston grow up and get their letters made her long to be old enough to attend their school. When Gaston, the youngest of her brothers had left for school, she had been miserable.




“I’m going to Beauxbatons, I’m going to Beauxbatons!” Gaston shrieked. “So long, sucker!” He put his nose close to Fleur’s, happiness making him cruel.




“Well, well, one year until I go!” Fleur could not keep herself under control. She ran from the room, just as the tears started to stream from her eyes. Hopefully, Gaston hadn’t noticed.




Her mother had found her in her room, sobbing into her pillow. “Honey, Gaston told me what happened. I hope you’re not upset because he’s going to Beauxbatons. You only have one year left until you’re rid of me and Papa.”




Fleur just sobbed harder. One year couldn’t feel longer. In one year, a boy could turn into a man, a brother could turn into an enemy, and a girl could become a squib. All her fears seemed to rest on this coming year. “Maybe I don’t want to leave you and Papa! Ever thought of that?” she said letting her anger consume her. This statement surprised even Fleur herself. She wanted to leave them. Right?




Gabrielle sat on her bed, calmly rubbing her back and consoling her. “At least you only have a year left. I have to wait three!” she spat. Fleur looked through her tears, to see her sister crying beside her. Guilt wrenched her conscience, as she looked at Gabrielle’s anguished face.




“Come on, Gabrielle, let us leave Fleur alone now. I can see she doesn’t want to be spoken to.” Fleur howled with rage. She didn’t want to be alone! That was the whole problem in the first place! Fleur cried herself to sleep, regaining composure only to hug Gaston good-bye in the morning.




And now it was her time! In merely two weeks she would be off, if only this stupid bird would show up! She paced restlessly, worry mounting as the minutes grew longer




Gaston had come home from his first year at Beauxbatons just a month before. During his first year, he had written home to Fleur, privately of course, to share his mischievous plans and pranks. He had, using one spell or another, tie-dyed a nymph pink. This nymph, who had a very high opinion of herself, had not been very pleased waking up to a pink behind. Gaston had also moved the school’s golden statue into an odd position in the school’s fountain. When he had come home, his hair had grown down to his shoulders and his blue eyes gleamed with malice. Fleur, like the rest of her family, was very ashamed (although secretly amused) with Gaston’s behaviour. Her parents, Mortimer and Apolline, even refused to talk about their disgraceful son when at the wizard country club.






Other than the nasty tricks that Gaston played, Beauxbatons sounded like the most lovely place to be. As she imagined herself there, her hands began to sweat. She clutched convulsively at her hair. If Gaston had gotten in, she could, too. With that calming thought, she gazed up at the clear blue sky.




Nothing. Maybe Gaston really had more power than she. Her heart banged inside her ribs. A lump started to rise in her throat. It was getting rather late. She was a squib, she must be. She imagined walking into the kitchen, her head lowered in shame. Her parents wouldn’t want her. She would be disowned, a Muggle orphan on the street. Gaston would try to help, but what could he do? He would have to go back to school. She lost all composure. Her mind was fogging up. She couldn’t think. She didn’t know what to do.




And then, suddenly, a wagtail soared through the sky. She might not have noticed it, as it blended perfectly with the clear sky. Warmth spread throughout her body. She was going! She was really going! A thought occurred to her. Maybe it wasn’t for her. Her brothers got sent letters all the time.




She gazed at the bird. Blue wagtails were very rare in this part of the world. They possessed powers unknown to her, and had never been sent to any of her siblings before. It was surely for her, right?




It wasn’t until the bird landed on her finger, that she knew this was for her. The bird’s blue eyes mirrored hers exactly. She could feel a mysterious connection with the wagtail.




As Fleur entered the house with the wagtail perched on her finger, Gaston burst out laughing. What had she missed?




Choking out between laughs, he sputtered, “Fleur looks like she has had love at first sight. Is this your new lover?” he stammered, gesturing at the bird.




Fleur glowered at him, and swished her long blonde hair in front of her eyes. No one could embarrass her the way her brother could! “Fleur’s got a boyfriend! Fleur’s got a boyfriend!” Gaston sang in a singsong voice.




“Oh, grow up!” Maurice retorted.




Gaston’s face fell when he realized nobody in the kitchen was laughing. Fleur was gazing longingly at the highly anticipated letter. “Open it. You’re just torturing yourself. We all know how long you’ve been waiting for it,” spoke Maurice.




“I kind of wanted Maman and Papa here, you know, because, I mean…” Fleur trailed away.




“They’re out with Gabrielle. You know how they are.” Laurent spoke harshly. Oh yes, Fleur knew exactly how they were. Maman and Papa often brought Gabrielle to fancy parties and outings, to which the other siblings were not invited. As these spiteful thoughts went through her mind, she lifted a trembling finger, dug her nail into the stamp and pulled with determination and excitement. She had waited so long for this moment to come. Now that it was actually here, she was in disbelief. As the parchment slid open, it revealed dazzlingly white paper. Two crossed wands with three stars each, shone in golden ink at the top of the page. She recognized the same note she remembered her brothers getting.




Dear Ms. Delacour,




We are delighted and enchanted to offer you a spot at Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. This prestigious wizarding school offers only the top of the line education to young witches and wizards. Beauxbatons, as an illustrious and high-class school, only accepts children with great talent and magical ability. (“Then why did they invite Gaston to attend?” thought Fleur.) We hope that the cavernous halls of Beauxbatons will be graced with your presence next year.




Signed,




Madame Maxime




Headmistress of Beauxbatons Academy of Magic.





On the next sheet of parchment Fleur found a more informal list of information.




Term starts on the twenty-second of this upcoming September.




Students are reminded that, as weather conditions are very warm they should bring only the light red Beauxbatons cloaks (silk only), white collared shirts, and white shorts as uniform. Dress robes in Beauxbatons colours (blue and white) must be worn for special occasions. These can be purchased at Madame Marguerite’s Cloak Closet inside of Rue Gideon, Marseilles, directly across from Mathilde’s Wand Warehouse.




Outside of Auguste Books (Rue Gideon, ask the shopkeeper for “Beauxbatons School Supplies, Première classe”. This is your supply list.




Transportation will be provided for all students at the S. N. C. F. station in Bourges. Many students prefer to provide personal transportation, which is perfectly acceptable. However, parents are reminded that flying carpets should not be flown to school. They are highly unfashionable, and the school needs to uphold its high reputation for class and taste.





Fleur felt her hair for curls to smooth down. She could find nothing. She did a little dance, but regained her composure immediately when she saw that Maurice and Laurent were staring. While, Gaston started to laugh. She couldn’t hide a smile, however. She was going at last. She was really, really going! As for the part in the letter about the flying carpets, even her great grandfather wouldn’t be caught dead on one of those. Really, she thought, like they even needed to mention that. How tacky.




A door slammed shut, and in walked her mother and father. “Where’s Gabrielle?” asked Fleur hurriedly. She really wanted to share this great news with her sister.




“Oh, she’s just putting her things away in her room. She’ll be back in a minute,” replied Mrs. Delacour. She kissed Fleur on the cheek, while gazing over her shoulder. “What’s this? Oh, honey! You have received your letter!” said her mother.




“We’re very proud of you,” added her father in a calm, serene voice. It was just like her father to be dull at such an exciting time in her life.




“Thanks, Maman, Papa,” answered Fleur, although she really wasn’t sure what she had done to be proud about. As Gabrielle entered the room, she squealed and snatched at the letter. Instead of a happy smile filling her huge eyes, she burst into tears. They dripped down her face and sleeves. She couldn’t stop, and no one knew what to do. Laurent was the first to regain his senses, but not having a close relationship with his youngest sister, having left for school when she was only two, he nudged Maurice, who kicked Gaston, who rose to comfort Gabrielle.




“What is it?” he inquired. Gabrielle dropped the letter and ran from the room, shielding her face. Mrs. Delacour rose from her seat and muttered, “I better go talk to her”, before scurrying off after Gabrielle. Mr. Delacour garbled something about work, help, and, looking quite at a loss for what to say, scurried off after her. Just like Maman and Papa, running off to comfort every worry of Gabrielle’s, Fleur thought.




She was stunned. She loved Gabrielle, possibly more than anyone else in this world. She wanted Gabrielle to be happy for her and to support her. Her happiness was punctured like a balloon. She gaped at the retreating figure of her sister.




Her sadness quickly turned to resentment towards her sister. Why did she have to ruin her big day, her moment of jubilation? “I can’t believe this.” Gabrielle always wanted to be the center of attention! Why could she not just be happy for me? Fleur thought.




“You did that, as well,” Maurice murmured in her ear. She paced around the room, breathing deeply and thinking all the while. Then she grinned at him. Of course she had. Remembering Gaston’s last night filled her with regret. How could she be so hypocritical? Fleur walked to her sister’s room and sat with her on her bed, stroking her identical blonde hair, and comforting her. Although her words were calm and kind, her insides were swelling up with excitement. Tomorrow, she would go to Rue Gideon to choose the materials for her very own wand! And with that thought still in her head, she snuggled under the comforter and fell asleep, dreaming of wands dancing around her head while magic words touched her lips.

















Merci prep mon beta abonne! Vorona, don't know how I can thank you










If you take your mouse and scroll down, just a tad, there is a little box under there. Can you just take a sec. and review my story? It would be highly appreciated. Thanks!