Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Scary Beautiful by Eve

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lily Evans had been lying in bed for over two hours and she still could not sleep. Her mind was racing. The next day she would be going back to Hogwarts. Was it weird that she was nervous? It had been her home for 6 years. After this she would be saying goodbye to her friends, her teachers, her classes… She’d be getting out in the real world. She finally sighed and sat up, reaching for the light switch. She knew she wouldn’t be able to sleep for a while.

Lily pulled a photo album out from under her bed. She started looking through it with a smile on her face. She missed Hogwarts so much it ached. People in the pictured waved at her. She laughed at one of Sirius and James throwing snowballs at each other. It was surprising that a picture of James could make her smile. He was cute, in an accidental sort of way. He had a charm to him with his messy hair and bright eyes. Of course, Lily didn’t actually like him. Too many girls liked him, and she wouldn’t be adding her name to that list. He was going out with one of her best friends anyway. Besides, she didn’t really know him all that well. Even so, she had been in more fights with him then she could count. They were just too different.

But she resolved that this year that was going to change. He was Head Boy after all. They would have to get along. She rolled her eyes as his picture blew a kiss at her.
**************************

“Look at Lily,” James said with a smile.

He and his friends were flipping through their own photo album.

“How sweet,” Sirius said sarcastically. “She’s yelling at you.”

Sirius was the handsome one in their little group. He had a knight in shining armor sort of look. But sadly, his constant sarcasm and occasional silliness spoiled that image of perfection.

“She’s cute when she yells,” James said defensively.

Remus raised his eyebrows. “Do I detect a soft spot?”

Remus was attractive too, but in a different way. His hair was a lighter color than James’ and Sirius’ and his eyes were grey, unlike their bright ones. He was the sweetheart that all the girls liked to joke around with. He didn’t see it as flirting though. He was bad with that kind of stuff. The fact that he was a werewolf didn’t help his self-confidence much either.

James rolled his eyes. “No! She’s just… cute.”

James was constantly denying that he liked Lily, but since the first time she slapped him, he had a weakness for her. Who could resist Lily? She was probably the prettiest girl at Hogwarts. She was also the most REAL. She didn’t die her hair or curse pimples off her face or waste time putting on tons of make up. Besides, she didn’t need to do any of that anyway. James assumed that the only reason she didn’t have a boyfriend was because there was no one in Hogwarts who deserved her. He couldn’t see Lily with anyone unless it was him. But he wasn’t completely confident that he could even measure up to her standards. She was too good for him.

When he was younger he could tease her all the time. Lily was just a freckle faced red head. Back then he wasn’t scared to ask her out or pick on her. But now he could hardly talk to her without something stupid coming out of his mouth. She was the prettiest girl in school! That’s why he was going out with Lily’s friend, Allie. Allie was pretty, but not scary beautiful, the way Lily was. It was easier with Allie.

“James? You want to quit drooling over Lily and flip the page?” Sirius said.

James flushed a little. Lily had slapped Sirius on more than one occasion, but unlike James, Sirius didn’t find it so cute. Lily and Sirius had never really gotten along. Sirius didn’t understand how James and Remus could stand her.

James was startled when he noticed Remus glaring at him.

“I’m going to bed,” he snapped.

He left the room in a huff.

“What’s wrong with him?” James asked.

Sirius shrugged. “He’s been grouchy all month. I don’t know what’s going on.”

James yawned. “Maybe we need to get to bed. Tomorrow’s the big day.”

“Yeah, but we’re Apparating right? We won’t have to get up early or anything,” Sirius said.

7th year students could Apparate to Hogsmeade and ride the carriages from there, rather than go on the train.

“Yeah, but you know how Mom is,” James said.

His mother was a bit of a worrywart.

“Alright then,” Sirius said. “Good Night.”

James fell asleep thinking about Lily.

***************************
“5 more minutes,” Lily mumbled.

The annoying tapping continued.

“I’ll be up in a minute,” she groaned, flipping over.

Something was determined to wake her up.

“Knock it off!” she yelled. “Ow!”

Now it was pecking at her head.

She finally opened her eyes and screamed. A feathery grey thing was an inch from her face.

She jumped and the feathery thing jumped too.

“Oh, hey little guy,” she said, petting the owl. “Thanks.”

She opened the letter.

Lils,
Where are you? Everybody’s here but you. Are you still asleep? WAKE UP AND APPARATE! Me, Allie, Nicki, James, Sirius, and Remus are all waiting at the Three Broomsticks. Get a move on, Witchy Chick!
Love,
The Wonderful, Lovely, Amazing- okay I’ll stop- Jazz


Lily laughed, and quickly sent a note back.

Jazz,
Conceited Much? Thanks for the wake up call. Be there in a few.
Love,
The much more Lovely Lily


The owl flew off and Lily threw on a cute outfit. She was really excited that she would be seeing her friends first thing. Quickly she hugged her mom and dad goodbye, and grabbed her trunk. Then she was off!

The pressure didn’t stop for a few minutes because as soon as she appeared at the Three Broomsticks, she was pulled into a bone crushing hug by Allie, Jazz, and Nicki.

“Nice to see you too,” she gasped.

“You take forever and a day!” a girl with long dark hair and bright blue eyes snapped.

She was beaming though. Jazz always had tons of energy and was constantly laughing, dancing, and talking. Surprisingly, she was more patient than Lily ever would be. Jazz was the bubble bath after a stressful day.

Nicki was smiling brightly too, though not at Lily. She was looking at James of course. Nicki had a fling with him once a long time ago. Now that Allie was with him, Nicki was rediscovering her crush. Typical.

Allie looked distracted too. James was looking happy to see Lily, too happy. Lily and Allie had always had a competition going when it came to guys. Allie dated more than Lily did, but she often fell hard. She was always scared that Lily liked her guys, because it was easier to see them with Lily than with her. Allie knew this was irrational, but she couldn’t help it. She had never really trusted Lily. The last guy Allie had gone out with ended up falling for Lily. There was no way she was going to let that happen with James.

“So, what do you want to do?” Lily asked. “We’re not staying here the whole day.”

“We’re going to get some lunch,” Allie said quickly, tugging on James’ shirt.

Jazz shot a look at her. She had noticed the coolness. Lily didn’t though.

“I need to get some dress robes. I really didn’t want to bug my mom about it.” Lily noticed everyone looking at her strangely. “Petunia was there.”

“Right,” everyone said. Most of them had met her, and the ones who hadn’t had heard enough about her.

“Well I’ll go with you,” Nicki said. “I need some shoes.”

“I don’t have anything I really need,” Jazz said. “I guess I’ll just follow you two around,” she said, grinning at Remus and Sirius.

Lily and Nicki started to walk away, but James caught Lily’s arm.

“Hey, congratulations on making Head Girl,” James said.

Lily smiled. “Thanks, Head Boy. No tricks this year?”

James had a mock serious expression on his face. “I can’t promise that.”

Lily laughed. “Fine, then don’t let me see it.”

James raised his eyebrows. “Miss Evans is becoming a rule breaker? I think Jazz has been a bad influence.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “I’m not so innocent. Besides it’s our last year. Let’s make it one we’ll never forget.”

“James, let’s GO!” Allie said irritably.

“Bye then,” Lily said, smiling understandingly.

“See you later,” James said.