Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Scary Beautiful by Eve

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I really liked writing this chapter, so I hope I get lots of great reviews! Enjoy!

"Valentine's Dance," Sirius said, motioning to a bulletin board that a large group of girls were shrieking over.

"Congratulations, Black," James said irritably. "You've learned to read."

The sign had gone up the night before but somehow everyone in the castle had already known. James knew Lily was behind it but what could he say to stop it? If he hadn't been skipping Prefect meetings and patrolling with Lily so much, he probably would have known sooner.

Sirius laughed at his friend’s disgruntled expression. “What’s eating you?”

James sighed. “Nothing.”

“In other words…. Oh! Hey Lily!” Sirius said waving.

James spun around to look while Sirius laughed. “I thought so.”

James rolled his eyes, annoyed that he cared so much when she obviously didn’t. “Very funny.”

They continued to walk to breakfast. “So who are you going to ask?” Sirius asked, refusing to drop the subject.

James shrugged. “Allie?”

“Ex girlfriend equals trouble.”

“Sarah?”

“She’s going with Peter.”

“Mandy?”

“James, maybe you haven’t noticed, but Mandy is a Beater on the Quidditch team.”

James briefly imagined her showing up with that club…. Ouch. “Never mind. What about Jazz?”

Sirius scowled. “She’s got a date.”

James shrugged again. “I’ll figure something out.”

Sirius thought about it. “I’ve got a crazy idea on who you could go with.”

James raised his eyebrows. “Oh yea? Who?”

Sirius rolled his eyes. “The girl you actually like.”

James looked clueless.

“Lily you idiot!”

James’ eyes widened. “Aren’t you going to ask her?”

Sirius threw up his hands. “NO! Why does everyone think we’re together?”

James flushed guiltily. “No idea.”

They walked into the Great Hall, Sirius still bugging James about the dance, but he wasn’t listening. He was too busy trying not to do cartwheels. Sirius wasn’t with Lily! He could sing! He was about to answer Sirius when he saw the red haired girl hugging Remus Lupin.

“Of course I’ll go with you!” she said, kissing him sweetly on the lips.

James could have screamed. “Ask her! She likes you! THAT DOES IT!” He stomped out of the Great Hall.

Sirius stared at Remus and Lily, not believing his eyes. When had the Apocalypse occurred? Obviously he had missed it.

“What’s wrong with you?” a dark haired girl asked, looking at him strangely.

“Who are- Lily!”

She grinned. “Like it? Jazz and me were trying out new colors. She’ll be blonde for about another hour. It’s really temporary.”

Sirius was starting to think fate was conspiring against his friends. “But who’s that?” he said, pointing to Remus and the fake Lily.

“It’s Allie. Oh, did he really ask her? That’s so sweet! We talked it over last night and she’s not mad at me anymore. I dyed her hair to celebrate.”

Sirius was staring at her like she had two heads but she’s wasn’t paying attention. “So is James going to show up tonight or do I need to find a replacement?”

“Um, I’m sure he’ll be there,” he said in a slightly squeaky voice.

She walked away and he finally laughed. It should be an interesting night.

x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x

“So the Head Boy actually does some work,” Lily said, sarcastically. “Amazing.”

“Very funny,” James grumbled. “Why didn’t you tell me about the dance?”

She looked surprised. “You haven’t come to Prefects meetings, you barely ever patrol, excuse me for thinking you wouldn’t be interested.”

He started to argue but stopped himself. She was right. “Sorry,” he said quietly.

“It’s fine,” Lily said airily. “I got to know the Prefects pretty well. Did you know Lucius Malfoy is a romantic? It’s kind of hot.”

James looked at her in horror until she laughed. “Just kidding.”

He had to laugh at himself. It was hard to be mad at her. “So are we going outside too?”

“I usually don’t,” Lily said smiling. “But with the right company….”

He swallowed hard. Was she flirting?

Lily walked ahead a little once they were outside. James had to smile at her childlike wonder. “Oh don’t laugh at me,” she said, misreading his expression. “I’d never even seen snow before I got here. At night with the snow and stars…. it’s so beautiful. I just wish it was the full moon.”

“I don’t,” James muttered.

Lily didn’t seem to have heard him. “I wish the lake would freeze once in a while. It’s too big though, I suppose. I’ve never been ice skating.”

James smiled. She really was beautiful. “I guess we need to go back in.”

“Oh,” Lily said, frowning slightly. “Alright.”

They walked along and suddenly James understood what she’d been hinting. “I know a pond that freezes over. I could teach you there.”

Lily beamed. “Really? That’d be great! How about next Friday?”

James raised his eyebrows. “That’s Friday the 13th.”

Lily shrugged. “It’s always been my lucky day.”

They walked to the castle chatting easily about school, friends, and the dance.

“Everyone’s really looking forward to it,” James said, opening the door for her.

She smirked. “Maybe the girls are. The guys? Not so much.”

James felt a little jealousy come back. “Well Remus definitely is. It’s really nice that you two are going together. I didn’t even know you liked him.”

Lily stopped. “Excuse me?”

“You’re going to the dance with Remus, right?” James said, wondering why she looked so upset.

“NO!” Lily said firmly. “Allie is going with Remus. God, why is it that I have to be going out with every guy I talk to?”

James stared at her. “I saw you kiss him.”

“WHAT?” Lily shrieked. “Allie kissed him! Didn’t you see my hair was different this morning?”

“So you’re not going with Remus?”

“NO!” She turned away from him and walked a little faster.

He felt his mood lighten but after a few minutes he realized she hadn’t said anything at all. “What's wrong?”

"Nothing," she said coldly. "It's just great that you thought it was so nice that I might have been going with another guy."

James felt like he was missing something. "Um, Lily?"

“Don’t talk to me, okay? We’re supposed to be patrolling,” she snapped.

James wondered what in the world he had said.

x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x*x

"Can you believe that?" Lily said, throwing a teddy bear into the air. "REDUCTO!"

Jazz covered her head. "Why bears, Lily? They've never done anything to you!"

"I told you. I'm practicing for when I aim at Potter's head. REDUCTO!"

She grabbed the bear that Jazz was trying to hide. "I mean, I practically threw myself at him! What's his problem? Why is he acting like he likes me one minute, and then acting like and idiot the next? REDUCTO!"

Jazz winced. "When did he say he didn't like you?"

Lily whirled around. "When he said it was NICE that I was going with Remus! REDUCTO!"

"Hey!" Jazz yelled. "That one almost hit me! Look, James was probably really mad but was trying to be mature about it. Clearly his plan backfired."

Lily stopped destroying bears. "You think so?"

"Sure," Jazz said, grabbing what remained of the bears and running away with them.

"Wait!" Lily laughed, chasing her. "I need those."