Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is my first fan fic. Would be very nice if some people reviewed (even if you hate it).
It was a warm mid-June afternoon down Privet Drive with the blazing sun above in a cloudless sky and the flowers in full bloom. It was a normal street filled with normal people doing normal things. Children were playing outside, neighbors were talking about current events, or some were tending to their gardens. That was the case of Petunia Dursley in her best sunhat, who was trying to keep her garden the best in the neighborhood.

Mrs. Dursley stood up from the dirt and looked through the window at her husband, who was watching television. She wiped off some sweat, and thought about making some lemonade, when she head cries coming from down the street. She turned to try and pin point the source of the disturbance. All the commotion was being caused because of three shadowy figures in the distance that were making for her direction. As the parents around pointed them out, they called in their children and locked themselves inside.

“It couldn’t be,” Mrs. Dursley said to herself. Then, as the three figures came closer, she let out a scream and ran inside to tell her husband of the newcomers. Just then Harry Potter and his two friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, came up to the fence in front of number four.

Before they went through the gate Ron stopped and looked around. “Popular around here aren’t you?” he said, with a confused look.

They were each carrying a bag with a change of clothes. Not long ago they had gotten off the Hogwarts Express at Platform nine and three-quarters. From there Ron and Hermione informed their parents about their plans to join Harry at Privet Drive. The three of them got out spare clothes from their trunks and Hermione, being of age and better at magic, vanished them away to the Burrow along with their animals. Harry called for the Knight Bus, and arrived at the end of Privet Drive a minute ago.

“You could thank my aunt and uncle for that,” said Harry. “They’ve been telling everyone that I went to a place for people with problems. St. Brutus’s Secure Center for Incurably Criminal Boys.”

“Why would they do that?” asked Hermione.

“To explain my absences for my time at school and most likely to humiliate me at the same time. It doesn’t matter, we won’t be staying long.”

“How long exactly?” Ron said, now looking at Harry. “You never told us.”

“How long until Bill and Fleur’s wedding?”

“Mum said it’s scheduled to be in two weeks.”

“Okay, so we’ll stay here for two days. That’s how long I packed for anyway.”

“Maybe they’ll want you to stay longer, Harry,” said Hermione. “I mean if you’re not coming back then they might want to spend more time with you.”

Harry laughed. “Sure, then Voldemort might invite me over for tea and try to patch things up. Well, let’s got this over with,” he said now in a deflated voice, and they crossed the yard to the front door.

Harry knocked only once before the door flung open, a meaty fist dragged him inside, and closed the door on Ron and Hermione’s faces. When he realized what happened, he saw Uncle Vernon’s purple face contorted with unspeakable rage.

“Who do you think you are coming here with you freaky little friends in broad daylight!” he bellowed, a vein was throbbing on his temple, which Harry was expecting to burst.

When Harry finally got a chance to explain himself, he did it in the most polite voice possible. “Listen, my friends and I are just going to stay for a couple of days. Give us that and we’ll off as soon as possible.”

“Send then away!” he said in a low, but dangerous voice. “It is hard enough to tolerate you in this house. I am not about to allow two more of you in here.”

Harry then straightened up and looked at his uncle in the eyes. “Well too bad. We are going to stay here as long as we need. And if you still disagree then you can tell that to my friends yourself. But I should warn you that they are both seventeen. And if you forgot, that is the age that we become adults. So, that means they can now do magic outside of school”legally.”

Uncle Vernon’s expression changed, from rage to fear. He looked behind him at his wife, who nodded. Defeated, he went to open the door, but Harry stopped him.

“Do me the favor of letting us stay of our your own free will and treat us like guests. If you do, than I promise to never darken your doorstep ever again.” Harry was never coming back either way already. But, he was afraid that if he forced his way in then the spell Dumbledore put on them wouldn’t come into effect.

Uncle Vernon’s expression changed again, but from fear to confusion. “What?” he asked. He couldn’t believe his ears.

“Yeah. You heard me. Do all I just said and I’ll never come back.” Harry smiled and clapped his uncle’s shoulder. “So, what do you say?”

Uncle Vernon’s expression changed again, from confusion to absolute joy. Behind him Aunt Petunia gave off a squeal of delight. He straightened up, opened the door and treated Ron and Hermione like the king and queen. “Welcome! Welcome! You are friends of my dear nephew, so of course you could stay a while! You must excuse my behavior a minute ago, I forgot to take my medication.”

“Quite alright,” said Hermione with a bewildered look. Behind her Ron was lost for words, because this was not the person her was acquainted to three years previously. They both looked at Harry, but he made no sign.

“Petunia!” shouted Uncle Vernon. “You should get together some snacks for our guests.” He turned to the three of them. “You should go into the living room and wait for me there.” And he went into the kitchen with his wife, most likely to talk about what to do with them.

“You didn’t put a spell on them did you, Harry?” said Hermione once they entered the living room.

“Of course not,” said Harry half laughing. “I just told them that if they were nice to us then they wouldn’t see me again. But either way I’m not coming back,” he said hoping his aunt and uncle didn’t hear.

“Wow! They must really want to get rid of you,” said Ron. A malicious grin spread across his face. “So, where’s Dudley?” he asked rubbing his hands together.

“Probably out bullying eight-year-olds,” said Harry in disgust.

“Now Ron” said Hermione sternly, “from what I’ve been told Dudley is a git. But you shouldn’t go and jinx him. His parents would throw us out immediately.”

“C’mon Hermione. I’m sure he misses that tail Harry told me about.” He shut up at the look on her face.

A minute later Uncle Vernon came through the door carrying a tray of biscuits. “Hey you three, I would love for you to tell me about your plans,” he said very rigidly.

Even Harry couldn’t believe what his uncle was doing, even though he was the one who told him to be nice. The only other time Harry could remember Uncle Vernon being this much of a suck up was when the Masons came over five years previously.

“You don’t have to do that. All I really meant was feed us and provide some space,” Harry said desperately. He was not in the mood to have a conversation with his uncle.

Still, Uncle Vernon seemed to take this as a test of how nice he could be. “Nonsense, we haven’t spoken much sense you left, and I want to catch up,” he said with a very fake smile.

Harry, Ron and Hermione seemed to have no choice but to try to have some sort of conversation with him. They told him nothing of Voldemort and his Horcruxes, but told him about normal things (at least to them they seemed normal). They tried to tell him about future career plans and vacation spots. When ever something magical was mentioned Uncle Vernon turned a “What the hell is that” to a “Could you explain that to me.”

“An Auror is a dark wizard catcher,” explained Harry as he told Uncle Vernon about his possible career choice. “It takes top grades, but that is the only thing I can think of right now.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll make a fine one,” said Uncle Vernon convincingly, but his hands were balled into a fist on his lap.

“Tell us more about yourself Mr. Dursley,” said Hermione, actually interested and hoping for an excuse to stop talking about herself. Both she and Ron went through details about their families.

“That sounds good,” said Ron playing along. “My dad would especially like to know more about Mug”I mean, non-magical life.”

“What’s been going on since I left?” Harry asked, trying to sound as though he really cared.

“Well,” said Uncle Vernon. “It appears we got new neighbors last month.”

“Appears?” Harry said, actually curious.

“Yes, those people at number seven moved and we haven’t seen the weirdoes who moved in once.” Harry was surprised to see that Uncle Vernon was abusing people normally in front of him, Ron, and Hermione. But soon enough Uncle Vernon realized whom he was talking to.

The awkward conversation for both sides went on until the sun was beginning to go down outside. Soon enough Aunt Petunia came into the living room and announced that dinner was ready. When they entered the dining room Harry was amazed by what Aunt Petunia had cooked. She had made a delicious looking roast, rolls, salad, and all kinds of other things. He was never treated to a meal this good during his time at Privet Drive. Both Ron and Hermione also seemed amazed by the work that must have gone into it.

Harry was just about to declare to himself that the stay might not be so bad, when there was the sound of the front door opening and closing. Then came Dudley’s voice: “I’m home. Dinner smells great, can Piers stay?”

Both Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon looked at each other in horror. They were just about to go and intercept them in the hallway when Dudley and his rat-faced friend, Piers, came into view. They both stopped at the sight of the person they least suspected to see sitting at the table: Harry.

“Potter?” Piers said after a while. A devilish grin was spreading across his face.

Harry’s insides suddenly boiled with anger. Here was one of the people that made his life hell, Dudley’s right hand person, the one that always held Harry while Dudley punched. He caught himself just before his hand reached for his wand.

“Long time no see, Piers,” said Harry trying to smile and failing miserably.

“Indeed. But I’m confused. Dud here told me you were in a mental clinic,” he said not even trying to hide his laughter. Harry then shifted his eyes towards Dudley, who cringed. Lucky for him Piers was now looking at Hermione. “And who’s this? Is she your nurse? Except for that hair, she’s too much of a looker to be insane.”

Ron them stood right up, but Hermione pulled him down by the arm before he could reach for his wand. “No,” she whispered. They both now looked at Pierce with even more dislike than when he first insulted Harry

“What? I thought that was a compliment,” he said trying to look confused, but he was obviously enjoying himself. He was just daring Ron to attack.

“SO sorry Piers,” said Uncle Vernon suddenly taking action before the situation escalated. “This is a dinner for Harry and his friends. You see they are going to France to study for a couple of years. We’re just sending them off with this little celebration.”

Piers then leaned into Dudley’s ear. “I though we beat all the smarts out him years ago,” he whispered, chuckling slightly.

Dudley only gave off a very weak “Ha.”

“Well then,” Piers said, “I guess I should be going home. Nice seeing you again Potter. And too bad,” he said looking a Hermione, who was still holding Ron. “Looks like you missed you chance.” He said his good byes to the Dursleys, waved at Harry, and after winking at Hermione (which further enraged Ron) he left.

At last Dudley spoke when he heard the front door open and close. “Dad, what are they doing here?” he asked pointing at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

“Well Dudders,” Uncle Vernon said going to him (Ron and Hermione forgot their anger and almost burst out laughing), “your cousin and his friends are going to stay here for a little while. And it looks like you’re going to have to give up you bed to Harry’s lady friend here. I would give her the guest room, but that belongs to Marge and she’s coming next week. And she can tell when ever anything”BODY!” he said correcting himself as quickly as he could, “has slept in it.”

“Oh no,” said Hermione, ignoring what slipped out, “you don’t have to do that. I’ll sleep in Harry’s bedroom.”

“No, that won’t do. It’s too small for three people. And I won’t have you sleeping in the living room. Besides Dudley doesn’t mind, right?” he said looking at his son.

By the look on the Dudley’s face it was obvious he did mind, but the look on his father’s face told him he had no choice. “No,” he said finally.

“Excellent!” said Uncle Vernon trying to sound happy. “Don’t worry it’ll only be for, um…how long are you staying, Harry?”

“Two nights.”

“Two night it is! Now we should eat this fabulous dinner that Petunia prepared. I’ll explain later,” he whispered in Dudley’s ear.

“Don’t worry Dinky Dums,” said Aunt Petunia to Dudley, “I’ll make sure to give your room a good cleaning.” She didn’t notice Ron and Hermione trying to hide their fits of laughter.
It turns out that the biscuits Harry, Ron and Hermione had earlier were not enough, and they gladly ate their dinner. It was even more delicious then they had guessed and became better as the high tensions started to lift from everybody at the table (except for the Dursleys, who were just faking). Still, they all finished off their plates as quickly as possible, not wanting to spend much time at the table.

Uncle Vernon and Dudley finished first and went upstairs to prepare Dudley’s room for Hermione as an excuse to leave. Harry and Ron followed and went to prepare a mattress for Ron, even though all it took was a wave of the wand.

Hermione, however, went over to Aunt Petunia, who was clearing the table. “Let me help.”

“I think it’s better if I do this alone,” Aunt Petunia said in a falsely sweet voice. “Here we do things the normal way and I’m afraid you will break something.” She continued clearing the table as if the matter was settled.

“I won’t. I come from a normal family and I help my mother.”
Aunt Petunia looked at her in disbelief, she didn’t think that anybody but her own parents would send their child to a school of weirdoes. Then, she let her help, afraid that she would insult Hermione by refusing.

Upstairs Harry and Ron were clearing everything from the middle of Harry’s room. With a wave of Ron’s wand a mattress, blanket and pillow appeared on the floor.

“You know,” Ron said, “it’s really too bad that your aunt cooked for us like that because we’re not supposed to come back. I never knew that Muggle cooking could be that good.”

“Same here. I did most of the cooking here before
Hogwarts. Whenever she cooked herself it was never that good. And during dinner parties I was locked in the cupboard and had to pretend that I didn’t exist.”

“That stinks. So, what are we going to do tomorrow?”

“I dunno. I doubt we should go outside. We might be too open to attack to Voldemort, not to mention Dudley’s gang. I don’t doubt Piers is going to tell everyone, and they will all be looking for me. So, I guess that all we can do is eat, sit around, introduce you to Muggle stuff, and try to think where and what the rest of the Horcruxes are.”

“Oh, that sounds like fun,” said Hermione sarcastically as she came into the room.

“Where were you?” asked Harry.

“Just helping your aunt with the dishes. She seemed surprised that I could clean as well as I did, even though I told her I was Muggle born. You two should have offered to help as well.”

“I’ve done enough cleaning around here to last me a life time,” said Harry looking into the hallway that he scrubbed down many times.

“Yeah,” Ron said, “and besides I’m surprised that they let me into the house in the first place, especially after my dad destroyed the living room. So, I don’t think they’re too keen on me touching anything.”

Luckily she didn’t press the issue any further and the three of them went back down to the living room. There they began their round of guessing on what the rest of the Horcruxes might be and how to find them (Uncle Vernon decided to go to bed so that he could stop talking to them).

“We have four Horcruxes to find: Hufflepuff’s cup, Slytherin’s locket, an artifact of Gryffindor’s or Ravenclaw’s, and Voldemort’s snake,” said Harry again, as if afraid he would forget.

“The snake might be the last one we get rid of,” Ron predicted. “Except for that time it almost killed my dad, I expect that V-Vol-demort would keep it close…. What?” Both Harry and Hermione were starting at him.

“You finally said his name,” said Hermione, surprised.

“I figured that I should get used to it,” said Ron casually, but twitching slightly.

“Anyway,” said Harry, “you have a point about the snake. I may not have seen it during any of my vision during our fifth year, except for that Christmas, but it should be close to him slithering around. So, after I get into Voldemort’s hideout, I’ll have to destroy the snake and then him right after.”

“You mean after we go to the hideout, and we go after Voldemort,” said Hermione.

Harry smiled grimly. “True.”

Just then they head heavy footsteps coming down the stairs and Dudley appeared at the door in his pajamas. “Sorry,” he said trying to sound polite as possible, “but it’s late, I’m tired, and that,” he said pointing to the couch where Ron and Hermione were sitting, “is my bed tonight.”

“No problem,” said Hermione feeling a little guilty about forcing Dudley out of his room. “C’mon you two, we should get to bed as well.”

They exchanged halfhearted good nights with Dudley and they went upstairs. Outside their rooms Hermione said good night to the boys, kissed Ron on the cheek, and went into Dudley’s room.

Deciding not to make anything of that moment, Harry went into his room with Ron and they changed into their pajamas. Ron fell on his mattress and Harry on his bed. Within a few minutes Ron started to snore, but Harry wasn’t tired. It was a very long day for him and he could not believe that Dumbledore’s funeral took place that very day, along with Rufus Scrimgeour’s offer, and Harry having to break up with Ginny.

Harry gulped. She of course was disappointed about the break up, but Harry had no choice and hoped that she would eventually understand better. He and Ginny rode on the train back to Platform nine and three-quarters with Ron and Hermione. After they arrived, Ginny heard Ron telling their parents about his plans and asked Harry to come along. He couldn’t see the harm in it, but Mrs. Weasley would not allow it. In the end they departed with a hug and Harry, Ron and Hermione left on the Knight Bus.

Harry was lost in these thoughts about Ginny for what seemed like a second when he heard a scream and then the sound of something big hitting the floor. He opened his eyes and they were dazzled by the sunlight coming through the window, for it was morning. After Harry found his glasses he saw Ron standing at the door, the side of his face looking murderous. He went to his side and saw Dudley sprawled on the floor, petrified by the sight of Ron’s wand pointed at him.

“Ron, no!” Hermione pleaded. “Put that down, he didn’t do anything. He just surprised me.” She was standing at the doorway into Dudley’s room, and looked nervously at the scene in front of her.

“Yeah,” Dudley whimpered. “Sorry, but I’m not used to having to knock on my own door to get a change of clothes. I didn’t want to peep at your girlfriend, she wasn’t even undressing.”

It didn’t take long for Harry to figure out what was happening. Apparently, Dudley had walked into his room, while Hermione was still in bed. She shrieked in surprise and obviously Ron took instant control of the situation.

Ron looked at Harry and nodded towards Dudley, which clearly meant, “What do you think?”

“I believe him,” said Harry indifferently.

Ron examined Dudley for another moment and put down his wand. “Sorry about that,” said Ron offering him a hand up. “And she’s not my girlfriend.”

Dudley looked at Harry to probably remind himself of the deal the family made. “It’s all right I guess,” he said, still shaking as he took Ron’s hand. He turned to Hermione and said kindly, “Can I get some clothes now?”

“Sure,” she answered getting out of the room. Dudley grabbed some clothes out of his dresser and made for the bathroom. Luckily for them it seemed that Uncle Vernon had already left for work, and out the window they could see that Aunt Petunia was outside talking to the neighbors about the people across the street.

“Honestly, Ron,” said Hermione as she went downstairs.

“What? I thought you were in trouble,” he said calling after her.

“Then you should have known I could have handled the situation myself,” she shouted from the kitchen.

“You know I was just trying to help, right?” Ron asked Harry.

Harry didn’t say anything and they both went downstairs to join Hermione. Considering the fact that Ron was within an inch of cursing Dudley, Ron and Hermione made up in the next five minutes (a new record without Harry having to interfere). The three friends ate together in peace the breakfast that Aunt Petunia already made for them. When Dudley came downstairs he ate as quickly as possible and left. He didn’t tell his mother about the incident upstairs in fear that she would kick out Harry and the deal would be off.

Nothing much happened the rest of the day, but Harry’s predictions about the day started to come true. Aunt Petunia was busy constantly answering the door and behind it were always some friend of Dudley hoping to get a glimpse of Harry. They knew they weren’t supposed to meet at the house, but took the detour anyway. Every time they came Harry was reminded of some bad memory and had to be partially restrained from taking his revenge.

Also, Ron was introduced to many Muggle items around the house. He had to be stopped from putting his hand in the blender and the toaster when they were on and was showed the correct way to operate Dudley’s computer. He also didn’t understand how the radio got its signal without magic. When Uncle Vernon came home and watched television (so that he wouldn’t have to speak to Harry), Ron finally found out the uses of the boxes in the living room and kitchen.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s second and final evening came and the dinner was even better than the day before. Uncle Vernon once again prodded the three with any question he could think of, and Aunt Petunia decided to join in. Their manners were forced, but they did a splendid job in putting up with two wizards and a witch in the house. Even Dudley had some how been polite and it seemed that it would take a long time before he could forgive himself.

“So, when are you three leaving tomorrow?” asked Uncle Vernon. It was the only question that he seemed eager to know the answer to.

“In the morning,” answered Harry.

“I will make sure to make you a splendid breakfast to before you all leave,” said Aunt Petunia.

“And how are you going away?” Uncle Vernon asked, his voice almost daring them to use broomsticks.

“The bus,” Harry said casually.

The Dursleys snorted, but didn’t say anything.
When the dinner ended Harry, Ron, and Hermione continued their conversation from the night before. Then, Dudley, who wanted to go to sleep, once again interrupted them and they went to bed as well.

When the morning arrived Uncle Vernon woke up the three of them. “It’s getting pretty late in the morning, and I’m sure you three have somewhere else to go. Come down and have something to eat.” What he really wanted to say was, “Get out of my house.”

They cleaned up, got dressed, and went downstairs to eat. By the look of the Dursleys when Harry, Ron, and Hermione got to the kitchen, it was clear that last impressions were also important to the family. The Dursleys had dressed up, but still kept casual, and Uncle Vernon took the morning off work to see them all off. They felt that by dressing nice and saying good-bye insured Harry’s riddance from their lives. After breakfast was finished the three friends went back upstairs and packed everything in their bags. Ron made his mattress vanish and Harry looked around the room for any of his possessions, until he realized he had none.

The Dursleys, Harry, Ron, and Hermione then went outside to the front garden. Harry shook hands with Uncle Vernon and Dudley, and gave an unenthusiastic hug to Aunt Petunia. Ron and Hermione did the same (except the hugging) and they and Harry grabbed their bags and stepped out onto the street. Harry stuck up his right hand and then there was a loud BANG. The Knight Bus then rolled down the street and stopped in front of them. Then, a person in a purple uniform not much older than Harry stepped out and gave the usual greeting.

“Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency”hey! It’s you three again. It’s only been two days. So, did you get my joke about the Muggle and the hag?”

“Not yet,” said Ron frustrated as he stepped in with Harry and Hermione. Stan Shunpike’s replacement, Daniel Lumper, had the annoying habit of trying to get everybody to laugh and rarely left Harry, Ron, and Hermione alone during their last trip. “Ottery St. Catchpole.”

“Righty-o!” said Daniel. “Hit it, Ern!”

Before they left Harry took one last look at Dursleys. The three of them were standing on the lawn looking petrified. Harry finally realized what was wrong (other than a bus coming out of nowhere) and started to laugh. He paid Daniel, and he left with Ron and Hermione to the back of the bus.

“What’s so funny?” asked Hermione. BANG. “Surely, you didn’t get that stupid joke,” she said once she recovered.

“Muggles can’t see the Knight Bus!” answered Harry.