Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: As it states in my summary, Harry "will have more responsibilities than expected." He is a member of the Order, and I feel I have to treat him as such. In other words: Horcruxes are the prime concern, but he has to do other things.
The next few weeks stuck in Privet Drive were actually not as bad as Harry had initially thought. He still hated the place, of course, but being around when none of the neighbors knew he was there made the street more appealing. He didn’t have to go through Uncle Vernon’s constant accusing stares whenever something went wrong, Aunt Petunia’s habit of chewing her tongue when he was nearby, Dudley’s lip, or any of the neighbor’s talk. But the one thing that distracted Harry from being glad that he was at least out of Grimmauld Place was Ron.

Both he and Hermione had gone to bed the first night without waiting up for Ron, and thought he would divulge all information the next morning. Unfortunately, when it came time and he was in the kitchen eating some cereal, he wouldn’t answer any of their questions.

“I’ve been told to stay quiet about it,” Ron had told them.

“Why?” Hermione asked.

“Because I can’t tell you,” he said simply.

“Why is it so important that you’re hiding it from us?” Harry said after getting angry. “I’ve told you everything about the Horcuxes!”

“Because Dumbledore said you could,” Ron retorted. “And I was told I can’t. But I can tell you this: I’ll be going out every few nights.” He then surprisingly left his cereal half-eaten and marched upstairs.

The next night, it became evident that Ron wasn’t lying as he bid farewell to Harry and Hermione and quietly Apparated away out in the backyard.

Over the next few weeks, Ron periodically left number seven and always came back in the morning. And every chance they got, Harry and Hermione asked him what he was up to. And every time they asked, Ron wouldn’t say anything.

This was a fairly new experience for Harry, since the only other time Ron had a secret was when he intended on trying out for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. But even then, he gave in easily after being caught. But this time was very different. What could the Order have put him up to? Or, actually, what did the Council put him up to?

“He’ll crack soon,” Hermione said one night late into September, after Ron left again. “A few more weeks of asking and Ron will spit it out.”

“I don’t think so,” Harry disagreed. “This is pretty serious, and Ron can be trusted.”

“Oh, please,” said Hermione, rolling her eyes. “Ron can’t be trusted with sensitive information.”

“Like when?” Harry demanded.

“Let’s see…. You, after he told me about Umbridge cutting open your hand; you, after your dream about Nagini; and Ginny, when he told Fred and George about Michael and Dean.”

“Doesn’t count,” Harry said immediately. “All those times he meant well.”

“Really?” she said skeptically. “And how is blabbing to Fred and George helping?”

Before Harry could answer her, there was a tapping on the window. He looked to see a small owl on the windowsill with a letter in its beak.

“ ‘Owls would be a dead give away’,” Harry said, repeating Lupin’s words in annoyance. Poor Hedwig had been cooped up in her cage for weeks. Still, he went over to open the window, and the owl fluttered in.

Harry took the letter and the owl flew away. He looked at the envelope to see it was just addressed to him.

“What does it say?” Hermione asked, looking over his shoulder.

“Looks like I have a job,” Harry said, rather impressed with himself. He could use some time away from here, even though it wasn’t as bad as the past sixteen years.
“That’s nice,” Hermione said enviously. “And here I’ll be all alone while you and Ron are out.”

“Make sure they stay alive,” Harry said to her, heading out the back door. He gave a quick glance at the neighboring houses to make sure there were no nosey people spying, and flicked his wand into the air as he had been taught the previous week. He made a soundless Apparation back to headquarters.

Harry then stole across the yard to the front door and rapped it with his wand, causing it to unlock and open. Inside, he made his way up the stairs and to the door that lead into the Council’s room. Harry knocked out of courtesy.

“Enter,” he heard McGonagall say.

When Harry did as he was told, he saw that she and Moody were the only Council members sitting behind the table. And to his slight surprise, Bethany from his first night at Privet Drive was sitting in a chair facing the table. She immediately turned to look at Harry with an astonished expression, and then back at Moody and McGonagall.

“Are you serious?” she said, standing up and pointing at Harry. “I asked for you for some extra help and it’s Potter alone? No offense,” she added to him. She turned back to the table. “You couldn’t have sent me his friends, uh…Granger or Weasley as well?”

“Shut it, Williams!” Moody commanded. Bethany obeyed and sat back down. “You sit, too, Potter!”

“So, what exactly am I not good enough for?” Harry asked after taking his seat. Who does she think she is? Harry thought, glaring at Bethany. She doesn’t even know me.

“Listen, Bethany,” McGonagall told her, ignoring Harry, “Potter is a very dependable young man, so I am sure that he can handle one night without letting you down.”

“That’s not what I’m afraid of,” Bethany said. “What I’m afraid of is that he won’t be enough.”

“I understand your concern,” McGonagall continued. “But he is the only person available this night. And it would be a risk to pull Ms. Granger from Privet Drive as well. As for Weasley, he is indisposed at the moment.”

“I’m right here,” Harry blurted out, annoyed. Why did they call him in if he was just going being put aside from the conversation?

“Fine,” Moody said, “let’s get straight to the point. Potter, you’ll be taking your eyes off the Dursleys for tonight so you could spend a little time with another family that’s in danger.”

“Why didn’t you get Hermione?” Harry asked. “I know Privet Drive better than her if there’s trouble there.”

“Look, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall said rather impatiently. “When Ms. Williams asked for some help, it was either you or Ms. Granger, and we chose you since you are more apt at dueling. I doubt that You-Know-Who would send his best servant to do away with the Dursleys, and Ms. Granger will only have to evacuate them.”

Harry was taken slightly by surprise. Did McGonagall actually say Harry was better at something than Hermione? This raised his spirits a bit.

“Whatever,” Bethany said, standing back up and turning to Harry. “C’mon, I’ll explain a bit more once we get there.”

“And just go back to your station after tonight if there is no trouble, Potter,” Moody ordered, heaving himself up with his walking stick. “Also, don’t fall asleep! That’s when you’re most vulnerable in case of a sneak attack.”

“Doubt that’ll happen, Mad-Eye,” Bethany responded, exhaling a little. She grabbed Harry and led him out the door.

“So,” Harry started, hoping to break the ice, “whom exactly are we protecting?”

“Mallings family,” she responded, heading down the stairs and outside. “Very anti-You-Know-Who, and very influential. Having them dead won’t be good for our side. They support the Order, so they’ll catch on to why you’re with me. Hang on.” Bethany grabbed Harry and Apparated.

When the feeling of being squeezed through a tube left, Bethany clamped her hands over Harry’s mouth before he could gasp for breath. She raised her index finger to her lips and shushed him.

Looking around her, Harry could see that he was taken to a place that had to be pretty far from the city. It was just a big field beyond the street they stood on. And only the lights of a few houses dotted the landscape.

“Stay here,” she told him, pushing him back against what felt like a brick wall. Bethany then stole away until she got to a break in the wall that had an iron gate blocking her way in.

“Who’s there?” Harry heard a voice ask behind the gate.

“Williams,” Bethany answered, pulling something out of her robes and holding it up in the air. “Magical Law Enforcement Squad.”

“How many cats can fit in a cauldron?” the voice now asked.

What? Harry thought, dumbfounded. Why would such a stupid question be relevant?

“What color are the cats?” she asked back, putting away the object. And before Harry could comprehend the meaning, the gates opened up and a figure walked out to meet Bethany. Harry pressed himself to the wall so he would be seen.

“Pretty quiet night so far, Beth,” the figure said. “Don’t think you’ll see any action.”

“That’s the best kind, Stoke,” Bethany said chuckling. “Well, I got this. You can head back to where you’re going.”

The figure named Stroke yawned. “Best thing I’ve heard all day. Hey, when do you get off?”

“Not ‘til the morning,” she said, thinking. “Why?”

“Oh, just wondering if you’d like to get some breakfast together,” he said flirtatiously.

Bethany sighed in annoyance. “See you at the office, Stroke.”

“See ya,” Stroke responded in a dejected tone. And with a crack he vanished.

After he was gone, Bethany waved Harry over.

“Didn’t think it’d have been a good thing if he saw you,” she said to Harry after he caught up. But he was barely paying attention, because in front of him was one of the biggest houses Harry had ever seen. It was a large brick house with three floors, large oak doors, and fountains on both sides of the walkway. She and Harry both entered the through the gates. Bethany then tapped them with her wand and said, “Colloportus!” The gates locked shut.

“C’mon, Potter,” she said, “don’t want to keep them waiting.” She started forward and Harry followed, though he didn’t know exactly what to do. Was he just supposed to sit around and wait for trouble? Or patrol the outside? He was brought out of his thoughts by the knocking of the door. She pushed him aside.

The right door opened a little to let a pair of eyes see through. “You from the Ministry?”

“Yeah.” She dug into her robes again to pull out what must have been a badge. Bethany then leaned forward and lowered her voice. “The Order of the Phoenix sends their regard. Brought some company for the watch.”

The door then opened fully to reveal a man that couldn’t be much older than thirty. His dark blond hair was slightly disheveled and he had bags under his eyes.

“The Order?” he repeated, looking at Bethany expectantly. “That’s a relief. So, who’s with you?”

“Uh, I am,” answered Harry, not really sure of what else to say.

The man’s eyes widened and they shot to his scar as usual. “Harry Potter!” he exclaimed excitedly. He then took Harry’s hands and shook them vigorously. “I never thought that I would ever get to meet you! Much less in my house! Imagine, the Chosen One in my home! This is such an honor. Otis. Otis Mallings.”

“There’s a reason I whispered!” Bethany hissed pushing them both inside.

There it was, just as magnificent as the outside. A huge staircase going upstairs met him instantly. The entrance room was paved over with polished tiles to reflect the ceiling.

“Doreen! Aggie!” Otis called after the doors were shut. “Come here! There’s someone I want you to meet!”

Harry felt his face burn with embarrassment as a woman’s voice in another room said, “What is it, Otis. Since when are you so excited about some lackey from the Minis”?” The woman appeared from another section of the house and stopped when she saw Harry. A little girl no older than nine appeared by her side. They both stood agape looking at Harry.

“Harry Potter,” she cried, fixing up her hair quickly and then shaking Harry’s hand. “It’s an honor. I’m Doreen Mallings”oh and this is my daughter, Agatha.”

“Nice to meet you,” Agatha said nervously.

“Look,” Bethany said forcefully, ending the introductions. “I was assigned by the Ministry to look after all of you tonight. But I didn’t feel comfortable doing it alone, so I went to the Order somehow got Potter. Everybody into the living room.”

The family did as they were instructed rather grudgingly. When Harry entered he was stunned at how large it was. Expensive furniture was placed all over the room, a fireplace roared at the other end, and a chandelier illuminated the room beautifully. While looking around, Harry found himself a comfortable chair, and the family took up a couch.

“So, how come you didn’t want to do this watch alone?” Otis questioned Bethany, becoming serious. “Are we in more trouble tonight than we were told?” Harry saw Agatha hold on to her mother in fear.

“Listen,” Bethany began, standing over them, “I wasn’t told anything different about tonight, so I wouldn’t worry. I just don’t believe one person can protect a family if there is danger.”

“I can fight, you know,” Otis said, standing up. “When it comes to my family, I won’t back down to protect them. You could have just asked me for help if trouble comes. I’ve said that to everybody else before you.”

“And I expect you will,” Bethany replied. “But I can’t let you die, which is, again, why I brought Potter. To help watch over you. Now, you should all go to bed. It’s getting pretty late.”

“Nobody else told us what to do,” Otis said, annoyed. “They just kept out of our way and minded their own business.”

Bethany walked up to him and looked him in the eyes. “Well, you’ll just have to put up with me for this one night. Now, go to bed.”

“Let’s go, Aggie,” Doreen said to her daughter. She picked her up, and went out of the room. “Packy!” she then called.

A house elf then came running into the living room. He adjusted the dishtowel around his waist, and stood at attention. “What can Packy do for you, mistress?” he squealed.

“See to it that the needs of our guests are met,” she ordered, gesturing over at Harry and Bethany.

“Are my favorite pajamas ready, Packy?” Agatha asked the house elf.

“Yes, they are, little miss,” Packy responded rather proudly. “Cleaned, ironed, and ready to go for another good sleep.”

“Good job,” she yawned, going back into the entrance room and up the stairs with her mother. Otis gave them a look and followed. Packy looked absolutely thrilled to have been complimented for his work.

“And what can I get for you, honorable guests of the family?” Packy asked Harry and Bethany.

“Tea and pastries would be nice,” she said, taking a seat across from Harry. The house elf bowed and left.

“Never really seen much of a single family’s house elf work before,” Harry commented curiously. The only one he did see was the brief one of Hokey. “The ones I know are either free or belong at Hogwarts.”

“Really?” Bethany asked intently. “So you’ve been down in the kitchens?”

“Loads of times,” Harry said, sticking out his chest. “Always left with an armful of food.”

Bethany started to laugh. “Don’t try and make it look like some sort of accomplishment. You could treat them like dirt, and you’ll still get the same service”not that I did, mind you.” Packy then came back with what she asked for. “Thanks.”

“True,” Harry agreed, pouring himself some tea. “But I wouldn’t. Especially since it was one of my best friends that started S.P.E.W.”

She stared. “Spew?”

“Society for the…something. I dunno. All about house elf freedom and stuff.”

Bethany started to laugh even harder. “That’s where you cross the line with house elves. Offer them freedom and they become sulky.”

Harry knew that was true, especially after the episode when Hermione told the house elves in the kitchen that they deserved pay. Not the warmest good-bye they’d ever received.

“So,” Bethany continued, “I’m guessing it was Granger that came up with that stupid idea.”

“Yeah,” he said, a little surprised. “How did you know?”

She shrugged and sipped some tea. “Your other friend’s a Weasley”all of them are pureblood and born and raised in the wizarding world, just like me. No way he’d be that ignorant. So, since I don’t know anything about Granger, I’m assuming she doesn’t know enough about our way of life to just accept the status of house elves as a given.”

“Don’t sound so harsh,” Harry said. “I was raised by Muggles, and I know as much as her. I just caught on to the whole house elf thing a bit quicker.”

“How are you related to those Muggles that raised you?” she asked, ignoring the last comment. “What were they like?”

“Horrible,” Harry summarized. “Sure, they fed and clothed me, but it was meager portions and hand-me-downs.” He pulled on his shirt, which had the sleeved rolled back a few times. “This is from my fat cousin. And my aunt is my mother’s sister,” he said in answer to the first question.

“I can’t believe that your aunt didn’t treasure her dead sister’s son,” Bethany said, in an extremely scandalized tone that surprised Harry. “And I always complained about doing my own laundry.”

It took Harry a second to realize what she was saying. “Wait, so you weren’t raised by your parents?”

“For the first twelve years of my life,” she said, now turning sad, looking down at her drink. “Death Eaters got them while I still in Hogwarts. And I wasn’t left with an inheritance to help pay for the rest of my time there.”

Harry didn’t meet her eyes. He had a mountain of gold hidden at Gringotts to help pay for his education.

“So, what happened to you?” he asked carefully.

“The school helped pay, of course,” Bethany went on. “And during the summer I would stay with some relatives. I’d have liked to stay with my uncle, but the last time I saw him was during my parent’s funeral. Death Eaters must have got him too. The entire family was broken up about them for a while.”

All Harry managed to say was, “Sorry.” Yes, losing his parents without ever knowing who they were was horrible for him. It must have been just as horrible to have them suddenly taken away from you.

Bethany then waved it off, and gulped down the rest of her tea. “Bah, we’re not here so I could brood on my life. We have a job to do. Patrol the upstairs while I go around the perimeter of the house,” she told him.

A little taken back by how she could put it aside so suddenly, Harry did as he was told and went upstairs. So that was why she was angry with the Council, Harry figured. She wanted the extra protection so that another family won’t share the same fate. He would be mad, too, if thought that a family’s safety was being overlooked.
The first floor of the house was almost as big as the ground floor. Apart from it being so big and the number of rooms seeming to exceed capacity, there seemed nothing strange about the house.

Then he came across a plain door with a tree ornament nailed to it. Harry opened it to find some sort of jungle inside. When a lion strolled by, he shut the door.

“Little miss likes her animals,” Packy said, appearing out of nowhere.

“But lions?”

“Cuddles is a good lion. Packy may go and visit him sometimes.”

Harry continued his patrol into the second floor, more wary of what might be hiding. Except for an indoor Quidditch pitch, owlery, and full playground, everything else seemed normal for the most part.

After an hour passed, Harry went back down to the ground floor to get some of the leftover pastries. Bethany came by later after having checked every corner of the garden for trouble. They constantly patrolled the house and garden, occasionally returning to get a quick bite to eat to stay awake.

When dawn broke, Harry was dead tired. His eyelids felt heavy, and he just wanted to lie down for a good sleep. Unfortunately, that wouldn’t be an option until he got back to Privet Drive.

“Better this than trouble, eh?” Bethany asked, back in the living room. She must have been used to all-nighters, since she was still wide-awake.

Harry yawned in response. He then began to regret not having practiced the spell all night. But then again, if he somehow got it to work, it could have had a devastating effect that would destroy the mansion. He did think about the memories in hope of another clue to Horcrux, but that proved futile.

“What are you thinking about?” Bethany asked, slightly concerned. Harry figured he must have looked half dead with how tired he was and his thoughts.

“Did the Order tell you about the Horcruxes?” Harry said in answer.

She shivered. “Sound dead evil. Yeah, the whole Order was briefed.”

“The whole Order?” Harry asked, waking up a little. He’d been told that by Lupin, but Harry never realized how many people knew now. That couldn’t be good.

“Don’t worry. We’ve been told to keep our mouths shut out in the field about them,” she said as if reading his mind.
That helped, but it didn’t quench Harry’s fears. Voldemort can’t find out!

They then heard someone coming down the stairs, and Otis entered the living room. He was in his work robes and carrying a box stuffed with parchment. He had the refreshed, cheery smile that only came from a good night’s sleep.

“Morning, all,” he greeted them merrily. “Quiet night, I s’pose?”

Bethany looked at the grandfather clock against the wall. “No big surprise,” she said. “Well, my replacement should be arriving soon to watch over your family, Mr. Mallings. And I’ll be escorting you to work alone.”

“That’s good to know.” Otis then went over to Harry and shook his hands again. “And thank you for the extra precaution, Mr. Potter.”

Harry yanked back his hand. Sleep was starting to take control again, and he was looking forward to bed. “No problem,” he said, yawning.

“Want anything for breakfast?” Otis asked courteously. “Packy makes the most delectable poached eggs.”

Bethany turned down the offer. “Sorry. I have to report in, and Potter has to get back to his regular watch.” She stood up and made for the door. Harry had a tough time getting up, and followed with Otis right behind.

“I just love the morning air, don’t you?” Otis asked Harry when they got outside.

Before Harry could even grunt, Bethany said, “Potter, cross the lawn and go stand next to the gate and stay pressed against it. I don’t want the guy replacing me to see you.”

Shrugging, he went and leaned against the brick wall, while Bethany and Otis stood in front of the gate.

“Who’s there?” Bethany demanded in the tone of a castle guard, repeating the words from the previous night.

“Evista,” another voice behind the gate declared.

“What do trolls do for fun?”

Another stupid question, Harry thought.

“Paint each other purple.”

And another stupid answer, he said to himself. Otis was chuckling.

Bethany then dropped her act and smiled. “Nice to see you, Charles. Alohomora!” The gates creaked open with a tap of her wand.

“Avada Kedavra!”

Almost as if in slow motion, Harry could see Bethany’s expression change from cheeriness to shock. She then immediately pounced on top of Otis, causing the jet of green light to zoom over them. Bethany then raised her wand to send a spell of her own.

After another shout of a spell being thrown, Harry pulled out his wand and dashed in front of Bethany and Otis yelling, “Protego!” In the split second that it took for the spell to bounce off his shield, Harry was able to look at the attacker. He didn’t have the look of a Death Eater or an enemy at all. And strangely, his eyes didn’t show any kind of surprise that Harry just jumped right in. In fact, they were clouded.

“Stupefy!” shouted two voices. One came from the first attacker and the second from a different direction.
Harry was then pushed to the ground by some unseen force and the two Stunning Spells crossed in midair and missed him. He looked over to where Bethany was laying and saw she had her wand pointed at him. She then immediately jabbed it up the air.

“Impendimenta!” she yelled, pointing towards the source of the second voice. The spell made its way and was blocked by what was undoubtedly a Death Eater. “Just knock out Charles, Potter!” she commanded, her eyes not leaving the Death Eater. “He’s under the Imperius Curse!”

With his controller now trying to get past her, Charles couldn’t put up much of a fight. Harry made quick work of him and joined Bethany in the duel.

“Give yourself up,” Bethany ordered the Death Eater. “You’re outnumbered and I put an Anti-Disappariation Jinx on the area.”

“Avada Kedavra!”

The Killing Curse went straight for her, and she was able to get out of the way.

“Reducto!” Harry yelled.

The Death Eater blocked, threw another curse, and shouted, “I’ll be taking you to the Dark Lord after everyone here is dead, Potter!”

“Expelliarmus!” Bethany shouted. The wand flew out of the Death Eater’s hands and landed in Bethany’s.

He cursed and began to run. “Stupefy!” they both cried, Bethany able to use both of the wands in her possession. The three jets of light were on target and got the Death Eater right on his back.

Bethany blew back a strand of hair over her face and went over to Otis, who was still lying on the ground and had watched all that had transpired. Harry was wondering why he didn’t help out, when Bethany flicked her wand and Otis stood up.

“I could have helped!” Otis said angrily.

“It’s my job to protect you,” Bethany argued, extremely irritated and not taking any complaints from him. After this and Godric’s Hollow, it seemed clear that surprise attacks touched her nerve. She then went over to Charles and inspected him. “Nothing a good sleep won’t fix.”

Harry in the meanwhile went over to the fallen Death Eater. He kicked the body face up and pulled of the hood and mask to see his wrinkled up face. This one was a very old man. He must have been very experienced, and dedicated to put up a good fight.

“Hey,” Otis said, coming to Harry’s side, “I know who that is. Pendle Draker, one of You-Know-Who’s oldest supporters.”

A light bulb then clicked inside Harry’s head. Oldest supporters?

Bethany came over. “My only question is how this bastard got a hold of Charles. But whatever the reason, I can’t wait ‘til he gets a cell in Azkaban.”

“How about you tell the Ministry that he got away instead?” Harry inquired.

“What?” Bethany and Otis said in extreme confusion.

“Why the hell would I do that when I have him right here?”

Harry grinned nastily down at the Death Eater. “Because the Order could make far better use of him. If he’s as old of a supporter as Otis says he is, then maybe this guy an provide us with some details about Voldemort’s items.” They both flinched

Bethany still nodded in comprehension, but still looked unconvinced. “I doubt that You-Know-Who would confide in anyone about them.”

“True,” Harry agreed. “But Draker just might have caught onto Voldemort’s past dealings and could give us a hint…or more. He could know if he made any frequent visits to certain places.”

“Can you lie for us and say he escaped?” Bethany immediately asked Otis.

“Sure…but what are you two talking about?”

She didn’t respond. She raised her wand to Draker, muttering, “Ennervate!” Draker stirred weakly. She pulled out a scroll, unsealed it with her wand, and shoved it in front of his face. “Read it,” she hissed.

The old Death Eaters eyes went back and forth. “Exeter…what?”

“Stupefy!” Bethany blasted him right in the face, knocking him out again. “Minerva gives us these in case of emergency,” she explained, tucking the parchment back in her robes. “Now, Potter, take him to headquarters and explain everything. I have to take Mr. Mallings and Charles to the Ministry.”

“Got it.”

“What about my family?” Otis asked.

“We’ll send someone over once we get there,” Bethany assured him.

So, after they all left, Harry took the Death Eater to headquarters and began to think of ways to explain this bizarre turn of events to the Council.