Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
After the evacuation from Privet Drive, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were all sent back to the security of Grimmauld Place. From a letter Harry got from Mr. Weasley, it seemed that the Dursleys were put up in a new home by the Order very grudgingly. Uncle Vernon absolutely refused to put his company in the hands of another, so he now had an escort under an Invisibility Cloak whenever he went to his office. Dudley’s education had to continue, so he was put back in school, but they couldn’t go following him inside the crowded hallways. Instead, a few wizards were constantly stationed outside the school. As for Aunt Petunia, she really had no life outside her family and gossiping with neighbors, so no special arrangements were made for her.



When only a week passed, Harry was starting to get very sour with the Council. At least back at Privet Drive he felt of some use, but he didn’t like being cooped up at Grimmauld Place with nothing to do.



He also didn’t like the fact that they were ignoring his claims that there was some sort of leak in the Order. They didn’t think he heard right when Harry claimed the two Death Eaters at Kartley were looking for him, even though Hermione had heard, too. They also figured that the Death Eaters must have found him out at Privet Drive. And another thing that extremely agitated Harry was that the Council gave no word on Pendle Draker.



Finally, he had enough. Harry left for headquarters without telling Ron or Hermione. Only Lupin and McGonagall were there at the time.



“You have to investigate this!” Harry demanded, both hands on the table. “If there is a leak, we can’t ignore it. “



“Potter, are you even sure of what you heard?” McGonagall said rationally.



Harry nodded furiously. “Yes, they both knew I’d be there at Kartley. How else could they if there wasn’t a leak somewhere?”



“We can’t just start purging Order members for information,” Lupin explained. “We run a tight background check before we even consider asking if someone wants to join. Plus, it’ll show distrust.”



“I’m not asking you to point fingers,” Harry said. “I’m asking you to find out how the Death Eaters could have possibly known I was there. Didn’t you tell Bill all of a sudden to pick me up for the mission?”



Lupin locked his fingers in thought. “That’s true.”



“We’ll gather the rest of the Council to reexamine your case, Potter,” McGonagall sighed. “If we do have leak, we shall do our best to find it”but we will not take anymore prisoners for this. That is the Ministry’s job.”



“The only reason they captured Death Eaters these past few months is because of us,” Harry argued. “We can make better use of them.”



“That is enough,” she said, concluding the discussion.



“Fine,” Harry said. “Now…what about Draker? We’ve had him for over a month, so we should have something.”



“But we don’t,” Lupin said. “You are dismissed.”



Harry turned on his heel and left without another word. On his way down the staircase, Harry ran into something and stumbled backwards.



“Baxer?” he asked, recovering.



“Harry!” Baxer said excitedly. “I have great news: Draker’s finally agreed to talk. I’m heading up to tell the Council.”



“Really?” Harry asked excitedly.



They both went upstairs and told Lupin and McGonagall. They both seemed very surprised at first, but went down to the basement all the same. There, Harry got his first look at Draker in over a month, and he looked even worse than the last time he saw him. He was chained to a chair, his cheeks were practically hollowed out, and his eyes looked almost dead. What had they been doing to him?



“And to think you consider yourselves just,” Draker said weakly, but full of hate all the same. “How can you go and starve a man my age, eh?”



“Be thankful we didn’t torture you,” Lupin responded. “That would be your method, would it not?”



“Only blood traitors, Mudbloods, and Muggles.”



“You said that you were going to speak,” McGonagall cut in threateningly. “Do not do so, and I won’t think twice about lowering your rations to one slice of stale bread a day.”



Draker scowled up at her. “Fine, so what is it that you’re so anxious to know that you kept me prisoner?”



“Voldemort’s past,” Harry said immediately. “Tell us anything that you know about it.”



Draker jumped at first, then looked taken back, and finally let out a long laugh that echoed through the basement. “Me? Know about the Dark Lord’s past?” He laughed again. “And why exactly would he tell his servants anything about it, when all we care about is purifying the world?”



“Don’t answer my question with another question,” Harry hissed dangerously.



McGonagall intervened. “When your master first gathered his followers, did he at any time disappear for a certain amount of time?” she asked fiercely. “Did he ever do anything that didn’t make any sense?”



Draker blinked. “How on earth did you figure that?”



“Tell us, now!” Lupin shouted, sticking his wand against Draker’s throat.



“Okay! Fine…one of the most bizarre things that the Dark Lord ever did was move our base of operations for no reason.”



Harry was intrigued. “Tell us more.”



The Death Eater’s stomach rumbled, and he sighed. “Our first base of operations was in a huge forest. It was a simple cabin where we all met to plan our takeover. This place was very secluded, so it was perfect for our meetings.”



“When did you move out?” Lupin asked. He put the wand back when Draker hesitated. “Cruc”!”



“I can’t remember,” he said desperately, shutting his eyes. “Probably…ten years before he first fell, I think.” He let out a long sigh when the wand was taken away.



Lupin smiled, and then conjured a piece of parchment with a map of the entire country. “Point where this cabin is.” Draker’s left arm chain went slack.



“Here,” he answered scathingly, pointing to a spot on the map. Ink then formed around it to mark it. “Hope you’re happy.”



“Where exactly?” Lupin continued, waving around his wand.



Draker shut his eyes again. “Maybe…the northwest part. Somewhere in there.”



“Do you actually think that I would have stooped down to your level?” he asked, rolling up the map.



“We will be back once we have followed up on this,” McGonagall said. “And you had better hope that this leads us somewhere”Baxer!”



Baxer, who was standing nearby and watching intently, snapped to attention. “Yes, Minerva?”



“Keep your watch over this Death Eater until further notice.”



Harry, McGonagall, and Lupin left the basement. And for some reason, Harry was slightly unnerved. To him it just seemed too easy. But he shook off the thought. They had another lead! And for some other reason, Lupin looked a little dejected.



“What’s wrong?” Harry asked him back up in the hall. “We have another possible Horcrux, so let’s make plans to go get it.”



“Not just yet,” he said, looking thoughtful. “We don’t know anything about this forest. First and foremost, we have to send a scouting party to this place. What do you think, Minerva?”



“True,” she agreed. “Potter, I understand that you do not have you broomstick at the moment.”



Harry was stunned that she even knew about that, but shrugged it off. “Yeah. Why? You aren’t honestly thinking of flying there, are you?”



“Come back tonight,” she said, ignoring that last comment. “And tell Ms. Granger to plan for a very cold night.”



“And what about Ron? Is he coming, or is whatever he’s doing getting in the way?”



McGonagall and Lupin stared at him. “Harry,” he said, confused, “didn’t Ron tell you?” Harry shook his head. “Ron was taken off the Horcrux assignment.”



It took a second to register. “What! Why in blazes would he agree to that? We had a deal! And why isn’t he throwing a tantrum about this?”



“Ron was displeased, Harry, believe me. But we told him he had to stay calm. Now, please head back to Grimmauld Place and tell Hermione to prepare and then come back here.”



“But””



“That is an order, Potter,” McGonagall said sternly.



Harry grimaced and left. He was starting to really dislike the amount of authority the Order was pushing on him. Without him they wouldn’t even know about the Horcruxes. But he had to admit they were useful. It would have taken weeks scouring London for the orphanage, and after that Harry would be completely lost at what to do next. Searching for the Horcruxes was easier said than done.



Back at Grimmauld Place, Hermione took the news of Ron’s noninvolvement in looking for the Horcruxes as hard as Harry did. Ron then went on an explanation that the Council didn’t want him distracted from his new mission, which he still revealed nothing about. Initially, he had fell back on the deal made, but he eventually conceded.



It then dawned on Harry that Ron had been acting a bit strange ever since September. Sure, Ron and Hermione still had their disagreements, but they were usually discontinued in a matter of minutes. And lately when Kreacher reared his ugly little head, Ron paid him no mind”not even a disapproving huff.



“So you’re saying you want us rowing again?” Hermione asked Harry in his room. She had jackets, sweaters, gloves, pants, and a two pairs of boots lying in front of her on the bed.



“No, I’m just wondering why he isn’t being what you might call his usual pig-headed self…. What are you doing, anyway?”



She did some complicated wand tricks over the pile of clothing, and after she finished nothing seemed to happen. “Warming them up. McGonagall asked you about your Firebolt, which means that we’re obviously flying to this forest. And it’s November out there, so the skies are dead cold. Plus, she said to prepare for a cold night.”

Harry was skeptic. “I dunno…it’ll be a long flight. From what I saw on Lupin’s map, the forest was a good way up north.”



Hermione gathered up all her clothing. “Just put these on. They get warmer as it gets colder, so we won’t freeze to death.”



When she left, Harry sighed and kicked off his trainers. After changing, he went back downstairs to meet Hermione, who was with Ron. He had his Cleansweep Eleven with him.



“You’re coming?” he asked him. “Don’t see why not. From what Lupin and McGonagall said, this is only a scouting venture.”



Ron shook his head and surprisingly handed over his broomstick to Hermione. “Just be careful.”



“Don’t worry, I won’t destroy your precious broom,” she said, chuckling a bit.



Ron laughed. “I couldn’t care less if this thing came back in pieces as long as you stayed safe.”



Hermione turned red, and said to Harry, “Shall we go, then?” She gripped the broom tight and went for the door. Harry gave Ron a hardy farewell pat on the back and followed.



Outside, Harry immediately felt the effects of Hermione’s spell work come into effect. When the icy November air hit him, he barely had to curl up due to his clothes warming up. It was only dusk, so it was bound to get colder. He and Hermione strolled away and Apparated back to headquarters.



Once there, a small crowd in the middle of the hallway met them. Almost all of them had broomsticks with them. Lupin then pushed his way forward and greeted them. He had with him two more brooms, but cast one aside when he saw the Cleansweep Eleven. Without a word, he thrust the remaining one into Harry’s arm. A Cleansweep Six, Harry thought grudgingly, reading the insignia. Now he really regretted giving his Firebolt to Ginny. She had better be putting it to good use.



A whistle sounded through the hallway. “Okay,” Lupin called out. “Now that we’re all here, it’s time to begin the official briefing.” He was standing on the stairs, looking down at all of them. A few stares lingered over Harry and Hermione.



“Now, pertaining to a meeting two months ago, it is possible that one of Voldemort’s Horcuxes could be located.” A cheer went throughout the people. “But we are not”I repeat, not”going after it. We are only here to check on the area where we think it is. I am going to be leading the way with Tonks just behind me. After her I want everybody in pairs lined up behind her. Nobody is to get lost!”



It was then that Harry noticed Tonks standing at the foot of the stars, looking up at Lupin. He then gave her a sign, and she went to the front door. “Wotcher,” she greeted, as she passed Harry and Hermione. Tonks then took the Put-Outer that both Moody had used once. She went outside, and Harry could see the glow of the street lamps extinguishing one by one.



“Everybody pair up!” Lupin ordered. In all, there were four others with them in total, none of which Harry knew. They all looked eager to pair up with Harry, but he already grabbed hold of Hermione. He wouldn’t be talking with anyone during this flight.



Everybody gathered to the front door, and Lupin took a quick look outside. He then dashed out, jumped on his broom, and soared off. Tonks followed. Another pair did the same a few seconds later. Next came Harry and Hermione. They both waited a few seconds as the previous pair did before setting off.



The spell took affect one more, so Harry wasn’t distracted much when he put the Cleansweep Six under him and took off with Hermione next to him. The feeling was amazing. This broom was noting compared to his Firebolt, but being back up in the air was an amazing feeling nonetheless. It was, of course, around this time that the first Quidditch match of the season should be taking place. It was only natural.



The wind blew through his hair, his gloved hands didn’t start to develop the frostbite that would have taken hold, and the spell was working perfectly. The only thing that mattered now was staying awake for the long journey. But that wouldn’t be problem, considering how fast the ground was soaring past him.



Up ahead he could see the four people in front leveling off, so he did the same. Harry then gave his old broomstick a burst of speed to keep pace with the leaders. It looked like Hermione wasn’t having as much trouble as Harry had thought she would. Her long hair was whipping about pointlessly behind her, but that wasn’t the problem. The wind seemed to be getting to her, so she dug for her wand and tapped her face. She then looked alert and did her best to keep course. Harry took out his wand to do the same.

Down below, the town of Exeter was leaving them, and the countryside began to appear. This was a good thing, since the chances of being spotted was reduced. The last time Harry had done this, Moody was overcautious. At least here they didn’t really have too much reason to fear being followed. Lupin began to raise his altitude and turned a little east. Harry followed, and the convoy flew over a cloudbank.



Soon enough, Harry’s fingers began to cramp. He eventually had to fly with one hand to let the other rest for a while. Then, even though they were high up in the air, Harry’s eyelids began to get heavy. In front of him was the same scenery with no hope for an end. More than once, Hermione had to maneuver close enough to give him a kick.

When they hit open waters below, they started to take a more westerly direction. The water below was churning menacingly, just looking for a victim in its frigid waves. By the time the party was back over land, Harry figured that they must have now been passing over Wales. He had no idea how long they’ve been flying.



Harry had to force his eyes to be alert for anything for the almost the entire night. It was probably the early hours of the morning when the front started to descend. That was when Harry noticed that the neat little fields that he was barely able to make out had turned into a solid patch of black up ahead. Harry was fully awake again, and followed downwards.



He and Hermione started to make for a field of tall, frost covered grass, where the first two pairs had landed. When Harry’s feet made contact, he could hear the crunching sound. And when Harry put all his weight on his feet, he fell over. His legs were practically numb from hanging over his broom for so long. Hermione faired no better. The last two to arrive had similar problems, but they seemed more used to it.



“You two okay?” Lupin asked, coming over to them.



“Yeah,” Harry responded, trying to generate some extra heat in his legs to get the blood flowing. “We here?” Tall, dark trees now loomed not too far away. There was definitely something wrong with this place.



“We’d better be,” he said, looking at the trees. “Had to spend an extra hour interrogating Draker for more details about the location. Don’t move.” He left and got back everybody’s attention. “Rest up. Sunrise should get here soon.” And indeed, to the west, Harry could see some red on the horizon.



“You think this place really contains a Horcrux?” Hermione asked, Ron’s broom over her shoulder. She was staring at the brightening trees curiously.



“It had better,” Harry said. “But we should get our answer based on whether or not we can fly over the trees. There would be some kind of barrier if there was a Horcrux.”

“Agreed.”



Sunrise came slowly but surely, and within a half hour the bright sun completely went over the horizon, ready for a new cycle. Everybody gathered to find out what was next.



But instead of detailed instructions, Lupin said, “Wilson, Short, come with me.” He then mounted his broom and took off towards the forest. The two confused wizards gave each other funny looks and did as they were told.



“What’s he up to?” Harry asked, concerned.



Hermione gasped. “I think he has the same idea as you!” And sure enough, Lupin made a beeline for the trees. He flew over a few of the trees, before slowing down and coming to a stop. Suddenly, he was flung back violently, and Wilson and Short were there to catch him.



After Lupin retrieved his broom, he came back to a very annoyed group”especially Harry. That was supposed to be his job.



“You know what to do, Anne,” he said to a witch who had taken the rear. He then took Tonks, Wilson, and Short, and flew off to the left, following the line of trees.



“We’re circling the other side of the forest,” the witch named Anne said to Harry, Hermione, and the remaining wizard. “Let’s go. We’re looking for any break in the barrier, or any other abnormality.”



The four of them then got on their brooms and went the opposite way. Now that the sun was up, Harry was able to fully see the expanse of the forest. It was composed of miles of thick trees all around, with no hole anywhere to suggest a cabin. It would take ages search through all that. He had to hope for a break in the barrier to allow a search from the sky.



Unfortunately, there was none. After probably seven miles of trees, and going at a slow pace so as not to miss anything, they couldn’t find anything. And soon enough, Harry saw Lupin and everybody else closing in on them. They didn’t have anything to report either.



“It looks like we’re actually going to have to enter this damn place,” Lupin declared heavily. “But with what we gathered, it shouldn’t take more than three days. But not today, of course.”



Tonks was mortified. “But Remus, you can’t! There’s going to be a full moon soon, remember?”



He cursed. Lupin stared into the forest thoughtfully for a second, and then gave her an apologetic look. “Then you have to stand in for me, Tonks. You need to enter.”

Everybody in the vicinity was stunned by this sudden announcement. Tonks laughed nervously. “You’re joking, right?”



Lupin shook his head mournfully.



“But why me?” she asked, her demeanor breaking and voice cracking. “Why not anyone else here?” She tried to point another person out, but they backed off immediately.



“Because, Tonks, I don’t want this to be delayed anymore than it has to. And you told me you have time off soon.”



Tonks blushed furiously, and crept closer to him. “I told you because I was hoping we could do something together.”



“You don’t have to go,” Harry interjected. “Listen, I appreciate all the help, but I can do this alone.”



“He won’t be alone,” Hermione said. “I’ll be with him. Just give us a tent and some food, and we’ll be fine.”



“No!” Lupin exclaimed. “Even if you two weren’t involved in this so deeply, we would never allow just two people to do something so dangerous. After the orphanage, it was decided that at least four are needed to retrieve a Horcrux.”



“Okay, I’ll do it,” Tonks said, running her hands over her face. “But who’ll be the fourth?”



“Don’t worry,” Lupin said to the rest of the Order members, “I’m not asking any of you to do this.” He turned to Harry, Hermione, and Tonks. “I’ll make sure to get the best person possible.”



A/N: Next chapter really, really long by my standards.