Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When Harry and Hermione got back to Grimmauld Place, neither of them had gotten over what had just happened. Hermione was muttering to herself at how annoyed she was that this sudden turn of events ruined her plans. He didn’t blame her, either. If Ginny had been right about Lupin’s visit during Christmas that made two outings that the Order ruined. Harry felt no better about it. For all he knew, he was going to have a peaceful day without the awkwardness of her and Ron to get in the way. Maybe he could’ve practiced the spell. He hadn’t done so in ages.

As for Ron, he didn’t take it well, either. At first it looked like he couldn’t believe what they were saying, and Harry couldn’t blame him. First, hearing that the Head of the Department of Magical Law enforcement was in cahoots with the Death Eaters, then that his two best friends had to spend Valentine’s Day together on a fake date. Ron even went to headquarters himself for confirmation. He came back looking sulky again.

“It doesn’t matter,” Hermione told him in the drawing room. Harry was sitting at the other trying to immerse himself in another book. Unfortunately, Ron and Hermione were blocking the only exit. “We could always do something the next day.”

“Yeah…maybe.” Harry took a peek over his book to his Ron walking away leaving a slightly disappointed Hermione.

The next day, Harry and Hermione left for headquarters a few minutes before four. For some reason she was taking the package with her.

“I can’t believe it,” she kept on muttering. “Waited in line for hours at Madame Malkin’s”and for what? Just to be used in a stupid mission.”

“A stupid mission that could help save lives,” Harry said, taken back by her demeanor. “Hermione, how can you take babysitting the Dursleys more seriously than this? So your date is ruined””

“Who ever said it was a date?” she asked pointedly, as they entered headquarters. “It was just going to be Ron and I having a evening out to make up for Lupin interrupting us on Christmas.”

They went upstairs to find that the Council room was locked. “Over here,” Trenton Perch said from a room farther down the hall. “I have them ready.”

“What’s ready?” Harry asked exasperated, following him in, where in the middle of the room were two vials”a blue one and a lime green.

“Drink the green one, Harry,” Trenton said confidently. “I’m sure the results will impress you.”

Hermione went over to the green vial, and looked at it keenly. “Trent,” she said, amazed, “is this Changling Potion? It’s supposed to be really hard to make!”

Trenton nodded proudly. “Yup. Usually it takes two or three days to cook up, but not for me. Go on, drink.”

Sure it wasn’t dangerous from Hermione’s reaction, Harry uncorked it, and downed it in one gulp. After it went down without any weird side feelings inside, he just stood there and waited, but it didn’t feel like anything was happening. Then he looked at his hands, and they were growing until they were a half-inch longer. His bangs then grew over his eyes, and they were a dark brown.

Harry looked over at Hermione, and her hair shortened to shoulder length. She also was just standing there looking transfixed at the sudden changes. Trenton then handed her a mirror, and she was amazed at the results. She handed it to Harry, and the person looking back didn’t look like him. His chin was a little more chiseled, and cheekbones higher.

“Can’t have these,” Trenton said, taking off Harry’s glasses, and making everything blurry to him.

“But I can’t see,” he protested. He then felt the sting of Trenton’s wand smacking the side of his eyes. Harry tried to blink out the pain, and when he opened his eyes everything was clear. “What did you do?”

“Fixed your eyes, but don’t get used to it. It’ll ware off in about twelve hours. As for the potion, that’ll start rotting in about a month.”

“Rotting?” Harry questioned hesitantly.


Hermione answered: “It means that the shapes we took will start to age horribly.”

Harry didn’t want to think about that, so he said, “So, who are we?”

“Nobody,” Trent responded. “I took your pictures yesterday, and with that I looked at what to change on you to make a whole new person. With Polyjuice Potion all you need is to stock up and add hairs, then the infiltration will begin. The crummy thing is its short lifespan, and the rotten taste. When you went to get that Horcrux back in August, all you needed was a quick change, so I didn’t have to do anything this elaborate.”

“Do you have anywhere I can change into this?” Hermione asked him, holding up her box.

“The next room.”

When she came back Hermione was now wearing a set of pink robes. They weren’t as nice as the ones she wore during the Yule Ball, but an “outing” with Ron”who probably would have been left speechless at the mere sight of her”didn’t call for anything that fancy. Luckily the robes still went well with her new identity.

“Can’t let these go to waste, can I?” she huffed.

“They ready?” came Moody’s voice. He then limped into the room. “Ah, excellent. Let’s go, you two.”

“Thanks,” Hermione said to Trenton.

“Yeah,” Harry said, going back to admiring the extent of the change. So he was a whole new person?


“Listen,” Moody started, passing the Council room, and heading down to the hall, “we have Williams following Dempsher right now”undercover, of course. He’s definitely headed towards the Leaky Cauldron right now.”

“What do we do?” Harry asked.

“Sit at a table until you see him come in”Williams will be the one entering a few seconds after our target. When she enters cough three times, Potter. Granger, ask him if he took his potion.” Moody then opened the front door for them. “From there, she’ll greet you, and you take over from there. The rest is obvious. And one more thing.” He pointed at Harry: “Herman.” He pointed at Hermione: “Hailey.” And as if he was asking them to run a simple errand, he shoved them out the door, and slammed it behind them.

“Not very creative,” Harry observed. He couldn’t have a cooler sounding codename?

“Shut it, Herman, and let’s get this over with,” Hermione said.

The two of them then went back to the alley, Apparated to the beginning of Diagon Alley, and were instantly greeted with a blast of pink. Almost every shop window had little decorations for the day’s festivities, and was bustling with business. Couples seemed to have taken over, as no one could be seen without another by his or her side. Fred and George hadn’t been kidding when they told the Council the alley was active.

As they entered through the archway into the Leaky Cauldron, Harry and Hermione weren’t walking as if they were a couple on a date. More like a brother and sister forced to spend time with each other by their parents. Many people noticed that as they passed by, and Hermione immediately took Harry’s hand, and smiled. Harry didn’t protest, but still felt awkward.

“Look convincing, for goodness sake,” she said through her teeth.

In response, Harry pulled out the chair for her at an empty table. He then went over to the bar, and called over Tom.

“What can I get for you?” Tom asked, giving him a toothless grin. He looked right at him, and Tom didn’t seem to recognize him. Trenton really was good.

“Two butterbeers,” Harry said.

As Tom handed him the drinks, he said quietly, “Quite a looker that one, eh?” He indicated Hermione”or rather Hailey. “You have good taste.”

“Thanks,” Harry said flatly, earning him a curious look. He paid for the drinks, and went back to the table.

“Did he recognize you?” Hermione asked discreetly, taking her butterbeer.

Harry shook his head. “Nope. And you owe me for the drink too.” He started to take sips from his drink, and kept on letting his eyes wonder towards the entrance, where Dempsher should be appearing. Come on, you bastard, get in here, he thought, taking another swallow.

“Why so tense?” Hermione asked sweetly, taking his hand from across the table.

If Harry was in any other state of mind, he would have immediately recoiled, and started at her dumbfounded. Instead, he put on his best smile, and gave showed it to her. “Nothing,” he said, shrugging. “Probably a little nervous.”

She gave him a grin that said, “Good one.”

Over the next twenty minutes, Harry put on the best impression that he was having the best date of his life. In reality, they were the ones of himself and Ginny out by the lake. But he tried to put it out of his mind knowing that having a glazed look, and completely ignoring your date wasn’t a good way to put on an act. Eventually, Harry’s hand started to numb out in Hermione’s. He tried to take as few glances at the door as possible.

“Mind getting me another, dear,” Hermione piped up. “I’m out.” She shook an empty sounding flask. Gulping down the rest of his, Harry went back to the counter to buy another round.

“Two more,” he asked of Tom.

“You can’t just sit here, and drink the entire time, mate,” Tom advised warningly, bringing over the butterbeers. “You should want to make this the best Valentine’s Day she ever had.”

Harry thought of a lie quickly. “Just waiting for the best moment to woo her,” he said, paying.

The sound of the door opening was heard through the chatting in the bar. “Ah, Henry!” Tom greeted joyfully, forgetting about Harry. Harry whipped around to see Tom going over to shake hands with none other than Henry Dempsher. “How’s the Mrs.?”

Dempsher shook his head in regret. “She’s still out of it, I’m afraid. Pity, and I was planning on taking her somewhere very nice today. Hopefully my shopping will make a fine get well gift.”

“Well, pull up a stool. The usual?”

Harry sped back to the table as quickly and inconspicuously as possible. He gave Hermione the butterbeer and an excited look. They’ve made visual contact. A second later, the door opened again, and a woman Harry didn’t recognize walked in casually. She looked as is she was going to the bar. Harry immediately coughed three times as instructed, and Hermione said in a concerned tone, “Did you take your potion, love?”

Just then, it looked as if the woman had noticed them out of nowhere, and walked over to them with a friendly smile. “Hailey! My sweet little niece, how are you? Oh, and who’s this strapping young man?”

“My date, Herman,” she responded as if he actually was.

The woman who was undoubtedly Bethany, leaned into his ear, and whispered ever so quietly, “He’s yours. Now, look nervous and nod.” When she withdrew giving him a serious look, Harry gulped convincingly and nodded as he was told. Absolutely no one at the bar gave them any mind. “Well, I don’t want to be a bother.” Bethany then went over to the bar, and got herself a drink.

Hermione then leaned in, and whispered, “How far along in his drink?” Harry, who had a better vantage point, took a passing glance at Dempsher, who took a swig.

“Barely started,” he predicted, taking the best estimate from the angle Dempsher tipped the flask. Hermione then began to take another but longer sip of her drink. Getting the idea, Harry did the same. They finished a bit quicker than the previous drinks, but still nobody noticed.

Harry still took her hand rather awkwardly, and made their way to the portal leading back into Diagon Alley. They waded through the sea of real couples, and Hermione stopped just beside the store window for the apothecary shop, where pink ingredients for potions were being displayed.

“Oh, look, dear, a make your own love potion kit,” Hermione said intently, looking into the shop window.

“Don’t think you’ll be needing it,” Harry told her, chuckling.

She rolled her eyes at him. “I wouldn’t even consider using it on anyone.”

“You just sounded a little too enthusiastic.”

“Shut it!” she hissed, pointing back at the portal. “Here he comes.”

And indeed, Henry Dempsher came through the opening in the brick wall. As he got closer, Harry and Hermione turned their attention back to the window display, melting into the background. They could see Dempsher’s reflection as he walked past them. They allowed him to put distance between them, then turned and followed.

Dempsher’s first stop was Eeylops Owl Emporium. Harry and Hermione entered about half a minute after him. To seem less suspicious, Harry decided to take the time to go and buy Hedwig some owl treats, while Hermione admired the differently colored birds, and kept an eye on their target at the same time.

“That’ll be sixteen Sickles,” the owner said, taking Harry’s money. He went over back to Hermione, who was looking at some spotted owls, so they could leave the store. Staying too long after making a purchase would be too risky.

“Looking to buy an eagle owl,” Hermione said out of the corner of her mouth. “Can I have one?” she asked him in a normal tone.

“You better just be buying time,” he whispered annoyed into her ear. If she was serious, and kept on pleading, then it would draw attention to them. Fortunately, Hermione wasn’t that kind of girl.

“Just kidding,” she said playfully. “You know they’d just get eaten by my cat. Let’s go, shall we?”

After they left the shop, they both knew that it wouldn’t look right if they just stood around waiting for Dempsher to come out.

“How ‘bout we check out Quality Quiddtich Supplies?” he asked her, throwing in a wink.

She gave him a knowing grin, but erased it quickly. “Do we have to?” she said, exasperated. “It’s the same thing all over again.”

“Please, I want to see the latest broom.”

“Fine, I’ll wait out here,” she huffed.

Knowing that Hermione would keep a keen eye on the owl shop, Harry entered the store to see that it wasn’t decorated like the rest of the alley. What could a Quidditch supplies store do for Valentine’s Day? So, making sure he could see out the window properly, he went around looking for things to buy.

Five minutes later, Harry was considering to buy a bottle of broom shiner, when out of the corner of his eye, he saw Dempsher leave Eeylops Owl Emporium from afar. Outside the window, Hermione gave him an impatient look, and tapped on her watch. Shrugging, he left the store and met back up with her.

“Not good,” Hermione said quietly, as Dempsher entered Madame Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions a while later. “I can’t go in there. Madame Malkin might notice me. I mean I bought these robes not Hailey.”

“Come off it,” Harry said, leaning in close. “She’s probably had hundreds of customers in the past week. What are the chances she’ll spot robes in your measurements on someone else?”

“I can’t risk it. We’ll just have to wait outside.”

“But Florean Fortescues is closed, remember? We can’t go in there and have a treat while we wait.”

She sighed. “Okay, but it’s on your head if we get caught.” Hermione then grabbed Harry by the arms, and dragged him into the store like a reluctant boyfriend.

The store wasn’t as crowded as the previous ones. Madame Malkin was looking over things since the rush she must have had was over, and was now swimming in Galleons. There were only a couple of people inside that seemed intent on buying something. Harry and Hermione, therefore, had to stay out of Dempsher’s sight.

“I’m here for a set of robes for one Lydia Dempsher,” Dempsher said to the young witch at the counter.

“Excuse me,” a voice said next to Harry. He looked to see it was Madame Malkin giving Hermione a funny stare. “Would you happen to be a customer of mine? That is clearly my work.”

“Oh, yes,” Hermione said, keeping her voice steady, and looking pleased. “You did some excellent work.”

“Thank you,” she said, pondering. “It’s just that I swear I sold robes just like these to another young woman. Same measurements as well.”

“Well, some people do have a similar build,” Hermione told her, trying not to look nervous, and giving Harry an “I told you so” look.

“Yes, but not the same taste. The only time I really make robes that look alike are for school uniforms.”

“Thank you,” said Dempsher’s voice. He was now walking out of the store with a set of new robes.

“What’s your name?” Madame Malkin asked Hermione.

“Hailey…Grander,” she blurted out. “Okay, ‘bye.” She then dragged Harry back out the store. “Told you we shouldn’t have gone in,” Hermione said, irritated. “Now, if she has record of customers, she’ll find ‘Granger’ while looking for ‘Gander’!”

“That’s your fault,” Harry said, continuing their pursuit before loosing their target. Over the next half hour, Dempsher had gone into Magical Menagerie, and Gambol and Japes. He came out each time with more parcels on his person. Harry and Hermione had not gone into those stores incase Dempsher somehow noticed their presence before, but decided to ignore them to see where they go. They had a difficult time trying to keep their distance, and having the entrance in their sights, praying that there wasn’t a back way out.

“Damn it, when’s his meeting?” Harry said, annoyed by Dempsher’s stupid little errands. Maybe he wasn’t meeting with anyone at all today. Maybe he just didn’t have the chance to change his day planner.

“Just be patient”oh, no!” she said again. This time he shared her sentiment: Dempsher just walked into Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. If Madame Malkin spotted something familiar about Hermione’s robes, no doubt so would Fred and George also find something odd. And there were so many people making their way in and out, it’d be hard to spot Dempsher once he left.

“Let’s go,” Harry sighed. The two of them then made their way into the crowded store. Inside it seemed as if it was the prime spot for couples. Many jittering girls with amused boyfriends were swooning over the tank of Pigmy Puffs, which now came in more colors then pink and purple. It also seemed that the twins hired some more people. The only place where there seemed to be loners was under the shelf of Patented Daydream Charms.

“Over here,” Hermione said, leading Harry behind a stack of love potions. It had a good vantage point where they could Dempsher from practically anywhere in the store, while pretending to read over the packages.

“Can I help you with something?” another voice behind them asked. They turned around to see George looking eager to help some customers. His smile then dropped at the sight of them. “Do I know you two from somewhere? I swear that we’ve met.”

“You don’t,” Harry and Hermione said quickly, trying to leave his presence.

“No, I’m pretty sure that I do,” George continued, following them. Harry noticed that they were getting a bit of unwanted attention due to the owner of the store stalking them. They had no choice.

“Damn it, c’mere!” Harry hissed, dragging George to the backroom. He looked around, and was pleased to see that Dempsher was too immersed in a product to notice.

“Hey, not just anyone can come back here,” protested George.

“George, it’s us!” Hermione said urgently.

He looked confused. “You who?”

“It’s me Harry!” Harry said. “Hermione and I are in disguise, so will you shut your mouth!”

George’s eyes widened. “Har”!” Before he could shout, Harry put his hand over George’s mouth.

“Why the bloody hell are you two in disguise?” he asked, taking off the hand. “Wait…are you two going out behind Ron’s back!”

“Of course we aren’t,” Hermione said, smacking his arm hard.

“Ouch! So, Ron knows about this, but you two still get a kick out of masking yourselves?”

Hermione hit him even harder. “We’re undercover for the Order!” she said in a hushed tone. She opened the curtain, and pointed at Dempsher. “We’re following him.”

George looked surprised once more. “Henry Dempsher? He’s a regular around here. Why are you shadowing him?”

“He’s a spy for the Death Eaters!” Harry told him.

It seemed to take a while for the message to sink in. George then gave Dempsher a filthy look, and started for him saying, “Not in my store. Not in my bloody”” Harry got in his way.

“There’s a reason we’re following him! We’re trying to over hear anything he says incase he passes information.”

“Just turn the bastard in!”

A dark expression crossed Harry’s face. “Believe me, I want to. But the Council says it’s too risky.”

George then reached into his pocket, pulled out some flesh colored string, and stuffed it into Harry’s hands. “Get going.” He then left the backroom to go back to performing his job, but not going anywhere close to the target. Harry put the Extendable Ears into his pocket, and left the backroom with Hermione.

“Henry,” Fred’s voice said. Harry could see him going over to Dempsher, and shaking his hand in a friendly manner. “What can I get for you today?” It would come as a surprise when George told him the news.

Harry and Hermione then decided that it was best to go back outside, and wait. It didn’t take long for them to spot Dempsher coming out. For some reason he no longer had a run-of-the-mill attitude, but rather a serious one. They let him go on ahead, and followed. Harry’s heart skipped a beat, when Dempsher suddenly slowed down, looked around for any followers, and ducked into Knockturn Alley. Every couple around was so distracted with each other that no one else noticed.

“Should have brought the Invisibility Cloak after all,” Harry said. “No one’s in Knockturn Alley.”

“Well, we don’t have it, so let’s follow.”

They too took the advantage of the distraction that Valentine’s Day served, and dipped into Knockturn Alley. Soon enough the chatter from Diagon Alley faded away, and all they could hear were their own feet, which they quickly took care of. Going as quietly as possible they could hear Dempsher getting farther and farther. Suddenly, the sounds of him moving stopped, and Harry and Hermione ducked behind a large pot with runes painted on. She looked up at them, her eyes moving back and forth, and scowled.

Harry then reached into his pocket, and pulled out the Extendable Ears. He threw the end as far as possible, and put the other end to his ear. He could hear voices talking as if on a radio. Hermione put her ear to it too.

“You sure you weren’t followed?” a familiar female voice pressed.

“Yes, I’m sure,” Dempsher said. “And for anyone to over hear us, they’d have to be close enough for us to see.” Harry and Hermione looked at each other, and grinned in amusement.

“Fine, what do you have?” the female asked. “And it better be good. I’m missing on something important because of this.”

“My first piece of information is about a lead that the Ministry has on one of our facilities south of here,” Dempsher told her. “Apparently, Jacobs and Rodolphus finally cracked, and told them everything about it. You have to evacuate Hastings as fast as possible.”

“Okay, what next?”

“Jacobs and Rodolphus themselves. They’re being transported back to Azkaban tomorrow.” It sounded as if something exchanged hands. “Here’s all the information you need on the transport. Do with them what you will.”

“Not bad, Dempsher, not bad. At least this wasn’t a total waste of my time.”

What came next was something about new fighting techniques the Aurors were developing. It turns out that if the Death Eaters exploit some sort of weakness, the Aurors will be pushovers. Then some more about programs the Ministry was working on. It might not have sounded too important, but every little thing that Dempsher spilled was a blow to their side.

“One more thing,” Dempsher continued. “Ever since Godric’s Hollow there’s this whiner that really been getting on my nerves. Take care of him, will you? The information is on the parchment I gave you.”

Harry mentally cursed. They didn’t hear any specifics. But on the bright side, Harry didn’t hear anything about the hold Scrimgeour has on him.

The female sounded amused. “Sounds like fun. Is that it?”

“For now.”

“Fine then, I’ll report to the Dark Lord immediately.” A deafening crack was heard. Harry sighed. It was over now. All they had to do was report to the Council.

Just then, Dempsher was heard walking back up the way he came to Diagon Alley! Harry looked around panic stricken, but there was no hiding place. If they were spotted, Dempsher would surely know what was going on, and all their effort would be for nothing. The information would become useless. If they tried to make a run for it, then the result would be no different.

Then, before Dempsher came within sight, Hermione slammed Harry against the wall, and pressed her lips to his. Getting the idea, he kissed back trying to put on his best act. Harry looked through one eye to just see Dempsher coming into sight looking straight forward, when Hermione suddenly grabbed both his hands, and placed them firmly on her buttocks.

She squealed, broke the kiss, and stepped back giving him an angry glare. She then slapped him hard across the cheek, huffed, and stomped off back to Diagon Alley. Harry was grasping his burning cheek standing there stupefied. He then saw that Dempsher had stopped in his tracks, and had seen what unfolded. Dempsher then threw his head back laughing.

“Bad luck, mate,” he chuckled. Harry gave him a genuine look of annoyance. Dempsher then continued on his way.
Waiting another minute until Harry was sure he was gone, he bent down and gathered up the Extendable Ears. Then, he went back to Diagon Alley, where Hermione was waiting with a smile on her face.

“We did it,” she declared.

“Did you have to hit so hard?” Harry asked her, rubbing his cheek. They started forward.

“It had to be convincing. Trust me, what kind of sleazy date would date would take his girlfriend into Knockturn Alley for a snog? It could have only ended that way.”

“S’pose so,” he agreed.

A/N: If anyone didn't get it, I was NOT H/Hr "shipping." It was only a mission.