Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As soon as Harry and Hermione got back to headquarters, the first thing they did was take the antidote to change them back to normal. After that, they immediately spilled everything that they had heard from eavesdropping on Dempsher. Lupin copied it all down, and then immediately left the room.



“Good work, you two,” McGonagall told them afterwards. “This information will be delivered to Kingsley and Tonks immediately. You are dismissed.”



So, knowing that their efforts were truly appreciated, Harry and Hermione went back to Grimmauld Place after the long and awkward day. When the door closed behind them it made a loud noise in the silent house.



“LEAVE THE DOMINION OF MY ANCESTORS AT ONCE!” Mrs. Black screeched.



“Shut it, or I’ll torch the whole hallway!” Harry shouted.



“YOU WOULDN’T DARE!”



“Try me!” And the curtains fell back in place easily.



“Things have been a bit too quiet ‘round here, haven’t they?” Ron said, coming down the stairs. He came to a stop at the sight of Hermione, who was still in her robes, and grinned awkwardly. “You look great.”



She went a little red, and muttered, “Thanks. So what did you do all day?”



“Thinking,” he answered tiredly. “A lot of thinking.”



“About what?” Harry asked.



“You wouldn’t be interested.”



“Would I?” Hermione asked anxiously.



Ron looked right at her. “Maybe.”



Taking the hint, Harry left the two of them to talk. He muttered a small good night, and went off to an early bed. As he fell asleep, Harry was a little worried that Ron and Hermione would return to their weird-to-hang-around-with phase. But on the contrary the two of them acted completely like much like they have the previous weeks.



The only difference was Hermione, who wasn’t getting angry with Ron when he returned to his gloomy mood. She didn’t seem exactly happy either, but occasionally she gave Ron a few glances, and went back to doing whatever she was doing. When Ron didn’t return her greetings after he came back, Hermione sighed and left for a different part of the house.



Harry would have been more worried about the two of them if it weren’t for his weekly visits to the Minister’s office. And if they weren’t enough, Harry now had to hide all of his rage whenever he came in contact with Henry Dempsher. Harry wanted nothing more than stand on something, point to Dempsher, and tell everyone that he was a spy for the Death Eaters. The only thing worse than knowing and not being able to say anything was that he had to talk to him a casual manner.



The only thing that made up for it was the memory of seeing the headline in The Daily Prophet the day after Valentine’s Day. Harry only had to think about that to chuckle at the remarks Dempsher made and thought were clever: Ministry Lucks Out, Catches Dozens of Death Eaters in Hastings. From what he read, the Ministry acted on very reliable information from prisoners, and caught the Death Eaters completely off guard while they were packing up to leave.



The next bit of good news came two days later. About seven more were captured when they were trying to intercept a prisoner transport for confirmed Death Eaters Rodolphus Lestrange and Barry Jacobs. Dempsher had looked absolutely pleased when Harry first saw him after hearing him spill the information in the first place, but underneath he was most likely seething and confused at the same time. Whatever it was, Dempsher did a good job of hiding it.



Then as the weeks passed, when there was a rare scuffle between Aurors and Death Eaters, the Aurors always came out on top. According to them, the Death Eaters for some reason just overconfident, and that was their downfall. Robards Gawain, Scrimgeour’s replacement as Head of the Aurors, was absolutely pleased with those results.



“But I do have to give credit to Shacklebot,” he had said while Harry was around. “He did bring forward to me the flaws in our new fighting technique that could have been used against us”and from the reports of my Aurors, the Death Eaters were trying to do just that. Strange isn’t it?”



“Yes,” Dempsher said in thought. “Very strange indeed.”



“At least your making progress,” Harry chimed in merrily. Despite not liking Dempsher one bit, he did appreciate the sense of superiority that he gave him. It’s because of me that your plan fell apart, he said in his mind.



The only thing that bothered Harry was the “whiner” that Dempsher wanted to have killed. So far there had been no reports of anybody killed in cold blood by the Death Eaters, which he guessed was a good thing. Still, it’s been almost a month since he put out the hit on that poor soul, and Harry was growing more worried that he’d see a headline in the Prophet about a person being randomly killed.



“We can’t argue with that, Henry,” Scrimgeour said. “There’s an expression: Don’t look a gift horse in a mouth. Things are finally going our way.”



Dempsher looked at him, and chuckled. “There’s another expression, Minister: Don’t jinx it.” Through a flap on the Minister’s door flew in an Interdepartmental memo. Dempsher looked at it, and said, “Interesting. Well, I must take my leave, Minister.” He then got up, and left.



“Same goes for me,” Gawain said. “See you next time, Mr. Potter.”



After he left, there was a minute of silence. “Excellent work, Harry,” the Minister said. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d have believed your act as well.”



Harry’s cheery manner dropped instantly. “Remember that I’m doing this for my friends. Can I leave now?”



“Just one more bit of business.” Scrimgeour paused. “How do I say this? Ah, yes, an idea has come to me. Harry, tonight I want you to pay a visit to the Leaky Cauldron to have a drink with Percy Weasley.”



Harry didn’t think he heard right. “Excuse me.”



“You see the only time people actually see you supporting the Ministry is when you’re here. I want the public to see that you are on friendly terms outside this facility with one our staff”preferably one of mine, and one who you’ve had previous relations with.”



He eyed the Minister as if he was mad. “Percy and I haven’t spoken in nearly three years. We haven’t been on the best of terms since he gave his support to those who called me and Dumbledore deluded.”



Scrimgeour smiled. “Which is why having a drink with him will show that you’ve put aside all misgivings, and have truly given your support to us. Meet him tonight around eight ‘o clock.”



Fuming in knowing he had no other choice, Harry left the office without another word. He only gave Percy the slightest of glances. Percy met his gaze, and it seemed he had already been told about the plans, and he didn’t look happy about it either. Harry continued on to the lifts, and when one arrived, he found Tonks waiting inside. The Council saw it fit to provide Harry with some security due to Dempsher’s treachery.



“How’d it go?” she asked the doors to the lift.



Harry didn’t say anything. He waited until the lift got to the Atrium to say, “Leaky Cauldron. Tonight at eight. Also, Dempsher got a note that intrigued him.” Harry had to tell the Council of all the things the Ministry was making him do. He then got off, and looked back at Tonks, who winked and pressed the button to a different floor. The grills slid closed, and she went up.



After that, Harry went back to the entrance, where he Apparated back to Grimmauld Place. Down in the kitchen he found Ron sitting there after going through another day of his duty. Instead of asking him as usual what he was up to, Harry decided to tell him what happened.



“And then he tells me I have to have a drink with Percy, and look like mates,” Harry complained to Ron a while later. The two of them were sitting around the drawing room playing a game of chess, while Hermione was out. Ron looked to be thinking about more than just the game and Harry’s problem.



Ron scowled. “Having to spend time with that git just because of us. Sorry, Harry…. Knight to E3,” Ron said, part of his mind still somewhere else.



“Don’t worry about me.” Harry then smiled as he saw his opening. “Pawn to E3.” The little foot soldier then beat the knight of his horse, and dragged him off the board. “Check.” Harry shooed away Crookshanks, who was looking for a chance to pounce.



Suddenly the door burst open and Hermione stomped in distracting both of them. Harry quickly grabbed Crookshanks in mid jump. He was too close to finally beating Ron to let the cat mess it up, and Harry deserved some sort of highlight in the day.



“You’re uncle is one of the most infuriating people I have ever met, Harry,” she boasted angrily.



“You just noticed?” Harry asked confused.



“Honestly, the next time the Order has me baby sit him while he’s at work I’m demanding shorter hours.” Hermione took a seat close by. “Even though I was sitting in the corner quietly under an Invisibility Cloak he still sneered at me as if I was dry rot.”



“Put it out of your head for now,” Ron advised, putting almost all his attention on her. “Take the bishop, will you.” Harry smacked his forehead as the queen wrestled off his man in robes. His plan of action was ruined.



“It’ll take me a while,” Hermione said, Crookshanks leaping to her lap.



There was a pause before Ron said, “Then why don’t you tell me about it over a few drinks?”



Harry now focused all his attention on the game. Besides, with Hermione distracting Ron, he should have the match in the bag.



“Are you serious?” Hermione asked excitedly, a large smile coming to her face.



“Yup,” Ron said, as Harry dealt him a blow. Ron barely retaliated.



“So you really are!”



Ron nodded. “By this time tomorrow I’ll be handing in my resignation.”



“You’re quitting you job?” Harry said, taken completely off guard. Crookshanks made another dive, and Harry just stopped him. “Your job that you won’t tell us about.”



“If the Council approves I’ll tell the both of you what I’ve been doing,” he answered, not meeting their gazes.



Harry looked at Hermione questioningly. “But how could you tell?”



“I just said I’d invite her out for a pint when I decided to quit,” Ron said for her.



“Want to go now?” Hermione asked him. “I have nothing else to do.”



“I think we should,” he said, getting up. “Besides, if we leave now we won’t have to have a run in with Percy.”



“Why would Percy be there?” she said, getting up as well. The two of them seemed to have completely forgotten Harry was there.



“I’ll explain on the way.”



“What about the game?” Harry protested. He didn’t want to finally win by forfeit.



“Knight to D5,” he responded just as he left out the door with Hermione. “Checkmate.”



And Harry just sat there staring in disbelief as his king became completely surrounded without any place to go. Crookshanks finally landed on the board scattering the pieces.



Harry then stomped upstairs to his room, and waited until it was time to leave. Great, he thought, putting the game out of his mind, Ron having no job to distract him meant he’s going to be drooling over Hermione without distraction. But it was better, he figured. Ron obviously didn’t like what he was doing, or else he wouldn’t quit.



When it came time to go, Harry sucked it up, and left Grimmauld Place for the second time that day. He then Apparated to Diagon Alley, just outside the pub. Once he entered, Tom greeted joyfully, “Mr. Potter! Haven’t seen you since you came in last year!” He probably hadn’t seen many customers since Valentine’s Day. It seemed Ron and Hermione had already left.



More like a month, Harry thought. “Butterbeer, Tom,” Harry ordered, pulling up a stool. He considered downing a firewhiskey, but he thought better of developing the habit.



“Why so down?” Tom asked concerned, giving him a flask.



“Bad business,” he answered, immediately taking a swig. Harry took a look around, but didn’t see Percy anywhere. He just wanted to get this over with.



Tom cocked an eyebrow. “Thought things would be going pretty well with you supportin’ the Ministry ‘n all.” Around them, the pub started to slowly fill up. Percy should be arriving soon.



“That didn’t exactly give me much happiness,” he let slip out.



Tom leaned offering a sympathetic look. “Go on. Spill.”



Harry didn’t know what made him do it, but it was finally time to tell someone else about his little problem. “First you have to swear to me not to tell anyone else,” he whispered seriously.



“’Course.”



“Remember those two major disturbances last November?” And from there Harry began to tell Tom everything about the Minister in quiet. About how he threatened to prosecute his two best friends for saving lives, and how Scrimgeour forced that statement out of him. Harry, of course, didn’t say anything about Henry Dempsher”that was strictly classified by the Order. And now he was at the pub for the sole purpose of continuing the fraud.



“Your friends were the two that were here earlier on date, right?” Tom asked, eyes wide.



“Tall red head, and a shorter one with curly hair?” Tom nodded. “Yup.”



“But how can they be so calm?”



Harry sighed. “They feel bad about, but there’s nothing they can do.”



“You can’t be serious,” Tom said.



“Tell no one about this,” Harry repeated. “If this went to the public, the Minister would go after my friends.”



“Secret’s safe with me,” he said, shaken. “Refill on me.” Tom took the flask, and came back with another. Maybe Tom could come in handy to when Harry decided to call in Cuffe's favor.



The door to the pub opened, and Percy came in looking sulky. He spotted Harry, and took a seat next to him. “Butterbeer, if you will, Tom.”



“You do all the talking, and I’ll pretend to listen,” Harry told him, sipping on his drink. “Despite what you heard, I don’t want to be here.”



Percy sighed as he took his drink. “Think I want to? Haven’t been this uncomfortable since last Christmas.”



“I know discomfort, Percy, and trust me, this isn’t remotely close to being back at my house. I’m just peeved that I have to drink with a person I considered a friend, and then sided with the people who called me a loon.” Harry took another sip.



“Don’t just judge me like that, Harry,” he responded. “It was the best opportunity for an advancement in my career.”



Harry now looked him right in the eye. “So your career was more important than friends and family?” he asked angrily, but made sure on one else could hear. They were, after all, supposed to look friendly towards one another.



“Of course not, but what other choice did I have?” Percy said. “Siding with you wouldn’t have helped one bit. After the incident with Mr. Crouch, I needed something to get me back on track. When Fudge came to me with the job, it seemed too good to be true.”



“It cost you your family! You should’ve seen your mum after you broke her heart. Fred and George tried to cheer her up by telling her the truth and called you a right git. They couldn’t lie and say you’d be back.”



“If they just sided with the Ministry at the time””



“If they sided with the Ministry just to keep you around, then Voldemort would have had more people deciding to ignore him and make it easier for his takeover. And your brothers and Ginny wouldn’t play dumb just to make you happy, so your parents would’ve lost them.”



Percy jumped badly, readjusted his glasses, and said, “He was exposed, Harry. That’s all that matters.”



Harry gave him a piercing look. “He had a year to prepare himself, Percy. A bloody year! That’s unforgivable on the Ministry’s part. And what’s more unforgivable is that you tried to turn Ron against me.”



Percy huffed. “You know about that? I sent that letter at night in hopes of it being kept secret between the two of us.”



Harry scowled. Percy didn’t even look like he felt any remorse about that damn letter. “Git,” he muttered. An hour ago Harry didn’t want anything to do with Percy. Now he wanted nothing more than to hit him”to hit Scrimgeour for making the both of them be in each other’s presence.



“Sticks and stones, Harry. After Fred and George a snide remark made by you doesn’t mean anything.”



As Harry’s thoughts brooded on the letter, there was one question that ate at him. “Tell me, Percy, when you told Ron that Dumbledore and I were touched in the head, was that you talking or the Ministry?”



Percy put down his drink, and stared into space. “The Ministry at first”the stuff about focusing on his career was all me, though. But eventually I decided to believe what the Ministry said. I decided to believe it because I didn’t want to believe you.” He ran fingers through his hair. “You weren’t there, Harry. You weren’t there for all the fear, for all the secrecy, the distrust. I was young back then, and I was scared. I didn’t want to believe that it was all coming back.” Percy looked right at him. “Believing the Ministry was so much easier, you have to understand.”



“Well I don’t!” Harry told him fiercely. “What about Bill, eh? What about Charlie, Fred, and George? I’m pretty sure that they were old enough to get a grasp of the situation just as you had. And they all believed Dumbledore and me. They believed us because they knew we were right, and they decided to do something about it this time around.”



Percy shook his head. “My reasoning wasn’t all that uncommon, Harry. A lot of people didn’t believe because they simply didn’t want to.”



“And what did you do when you were forced to believe. Forced to come to the realization that I’d been telling the truth for over a year?”



“I accepted it very grudgingly.”



“And why didn’t you come back to your family after you accepted it?” Dumbledore had already answered that question, but Harry wanted to hear it straight from Percy’s mouth.



“Because I couldn’t face them,” he answered. “After calling them liars for a year, and turning my back on them every possible way, it didn’t feel right going back.”



“They would have forgiven you”or at least your mum would have.”



The grip Percy had on his flask tightened. “I may regret my fallout with them, Harry, but I’m not looking for forgiveness. All I was doing was taking the path that made the most sense. You-Know-Who coming back was not just a frightening thought but also an illogical one. That made it easier not to believe you and call you insane.”



“So you regret calling me insane?”



“Yes, but again I’m not looking for forgiveness. All I was doing””



“”was taking the path that made the most sense,” Harry finished exasperated. “Still doesn’t make it right.”



“And I’m trying to right my wrongs,” Percy retorted. “Look, do you think I wanted to go by the house last Christmas? No, I didn’t. But I did it anyway because helping the public keep calm by getting the Minister to you was part of my duty.” He sighed. “And I regret what I did to mum that time as well…. For that I do want forgiveness. That was the best moment to try and reconnect with the family.”



“And that’s why you came here,” Harry figured. “It was your duty to be seen here having a good time out with ‘The Chosen One’, was it?”



Percy looked away. “And you’re here on duty too, right? But not to Minister, but to Ron and Hermione.”



Harry paused. “So he told you.”



“No, I put two and two together. Their court date being cancelled the same day you pledged your support was no coincidence.”



Harry shook his head. “No, it wasn’t. And you still support Scrimgeour?”



“Have to. The Ministry is our only hope. Trust me, if there was any other way to stick it to the Death Eaters instead of sitting here, then I’d like to know. What I did in the past was a mistake, and I want to make up for it.”



An idea popped into Harry’s head. A crazy, insane, and super risky one, but an idea nonetheless. It may all even be a setup by the Ministry, and Harry had no proof to think it was a good idea. Still, Harry leaned in saying, “So you’re saying that the only reason that you’re with the Ministry now is because you think they’re the only hope?”



Percy looked at him curiously. “Yes, before I thought they were right, and that You-Know-Who didn’t really return. Now I want to make up for it by doing whatever I can against the Death Eaters, and my desk job is the only way I know how. Where are you going with his?”



Harry took a quick glace around the pub. “How much does the Minister trust you?”



“Enough with all the things that is required of me. That’s about it.”



“Any dirt?”



Percy’s eyes widened. “You want me to betray his trust, and help bring him down!” he said so only they could hear.



Harry grinned. “That’s the jist of it.”



“I can’t do that! Not only will it be going against authority, but taking down the Minister would be paving the way for the Death Eaters.”



Time to throw caution to the wind. “Ever heard of the Order of the Phoenix?” Harry whispered. “Trust me, with them in the way, the Death Eaters taking over won’t be all too easy.”



“Are they that effective?” Percy asked cautiously.



“Yes, we are. Who do you think were the first to respond at Godric’s Hollow? Helped save the Mallings? Took down the Death Eaters at Kartley? Freed those prisoners in Bacton? And the tip to move in on Hastings, and the attack on the prisoner transport didn’t come out of thin air.”



Percy looked convinced, and slapped the counter enthusiastically. “I’ve read things in a file or two I was told to burn. What can I do?” Now this was the brother that the twins always wanted.



Harry raised his almost empty flask. “Just be at the Burrow tomorrow.” If Harry no longer found himself under Scrimgeour’s thumb because of Percy’s information, and Ron and Hermione became safe, then all will be forgiven”even if he didn’t want it. Plus, it’d be nice to see Mrs. Weasley happy to see her family back together.



Percy raised his. “I’ll be there.” The two of them toasted lightly, and downed the rest of their drinks. “Looks like this plan of that idiot Dempsher didn’t turn out so bad after all.”



Harry choked on his butterbeer.