Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: sorry for the wait. i hope the next few chapters turn out beter than the last. i'm starting to feel the pressure, so all reviews are appreciated.
Scandal in the Ministry of Magic


“I am here to officially renounce the support I gave the Ministry of Magic over two months ago,” said Harry Potter following the devastating attack in Diagon Alley. Many were shocked to learn of this interview since popular belief was that he’d been captured. “The disgusting assassination of Percy Weasley shows a clear incompetence, and I can no longer give out false hope to the public. I demand that this matter be investigated! I want to know the person responsible for this tragedy!”

And that person was found only hours after this interview was given. Irrefutable evidence was brought forth to the Auror office that Henry Dempsher, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, was responsible for the horrific event. As it turns out he has pulled an Augustus Rookwood, and had been passing along information to the organization known as the Death Eaters led by You-Know-Who himself.

“This is an outrage,” the Minister told reporters early in the afternoon. “I assure you that this will not go unpunished. With the support Harry Potter is showing us…” The reporter at the interview then interrupted and told Minister Scrimgeour about “The Chosen One” publicly withdrawing his support. “There is nothing I can do in the wake of such a crisis,” the Minster continued after a few moments of stunned silence. “I have no choice but to continue fulfilling my role.”

Henry Dempsher was immediately taken into custody, given a speedy trial before the Wizengamot, and was escorted to a cell in Azkaban for a lifetime. He had been charged and found guilty with conspiring against the Ministry, assisting in the death of Junior Assistant to the Minster Percy Weasley, and treason.

But that is not the end of it. Following Harry Potter’s withdrawal, the inn keeper of the Leaky (continued on page 8A)


Harry sighed sadly and folded up the three day old paper. He had reread it numerous times just to make sure that it all really happened. Back at St. Mungo’s he sent one owl to the Order telling them that they have absolutely no choice but to expose Dempsher, or else he’d quit and search for the Horcruxes on his own. The other went to Barnabus Cuffe to call in that favor. But none of that changed the fact that Percy was killed.

Having to face the rest of the family after Percy was pronounced dead was a nightmare. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley took it especially hard that they lost a son; worse after Harry told them he was able to turn Percy around. Fred, George, and Bill took the loss as a large blow as well. When Ginny and Charlie were contacted they arrived at the Burrow in tears and shock. But none of the siblings seemed to take it as hard as Ron. After all, it was Ron that had fought along side Percy, tried to protect him. Unfortunately his effort weren’t enough, it turned out that woman has just toying with them, and Percy ended up dead. Ron barely spoke after his burst of anger, and was mainly comforted by Hermione.

Including the ones Harry helped take out, three more Death Eaters were killed in the fight. Along with them almost two-dozen other Death Eaters were captured. Antonin Dolohov was found tied upside-down near Fred and George’s shop, and he was screaming his head off. “Our Patented Daydream Charms sometimes had the opposite effect during testing,” the twins said after Harry asked them about it.

But that was only a trivial victory compared to the sixteen lost on the side of the Order and Ministry. While trying to provide support for those at the start of the alley, Sturgis Podmore got hit by a Killing Curse. Harry learned from Tonks that Drew, the Auror that unfroze them back at Godric’s Hollow, was also among the dead. The fourteen others were faceless names to Harry, but their deaths brought sorrow to him nonetheless.

But the one that wasn’t listed among the casualties was Trenton Perch. His stomach churned uncomfortably when he thought of him and the sacrifice he made. Almost as bad was seeing Bethany in quiet tears when she arrived at St. Mungo’s to get her left arm treated. There was no hint that she and Trenton had a thing, and Harry never saw them together, but that didn’t mean it didn’t exist. Now she (along with Harry) had to brood on all the horrible things that would happen to Trenton after the Death Eaters discovered he wasn’t really Harry.

As for the Minister himself, he got into a lot of trouble after Tom brought the accusation forth. After that all Harry had to do was confirm the story with The Prophet with a simple yes. And to make it seem as if punishing Scrimgeour wasn’t part of his goal, Harry added that he didn’t want to make a fuss about it after the battle. The Minister was then asked to step down while the case was being investigated. Any actual sentencing (if it came to that) wouldn’t come for a few months.

“You okay, Harry?” Ginny asked him tenderly, putting a hand to his shoulder. They were at the graveyard and the funeral had just ended. While people were still weeping over Percy’s grave, Harry went over to a nearby tree alone to clear his head.

Harry reached up to grasp her hand. “I should be asking you that.”

“Well, I’m fine,” she answered.

“Me too.”

Ginny looked over at the grave where the amount of people around it diminished. “Any final words for him?” Harry nodded and went to stand over the grave with the casket inside.

“It’s because of you, Percy,” Harry said to him sadly. “It’s because of you that Dempsher was brought to justice, and Scrimgeour has what’s coming to him.” He paused. “Wish it happened another way, though.” He then tossed inside the newspaper with the article. “See you in the next life.” That earned him a smack on the arm from Ginny. “Hopefully not too soon.”

“You were still my brother, Percy,” Ginny said, tears leaking out. “You may have peeved us all, but we never stopped loving you.”

A little while later the earth was put over the casket, and everyone started to go home. Harry, Ron, and Hermione went back to the Burrow. There was a toast to honor Percy’s memory, and they tried to reflect on the good times for the rest of the day. Ron, it seemed, couldn’t. He still looked too hung up.

“You did the best you could,” Fred told him. “Besides, he was our brother too.”

“Just because we stomped on his name didn’t mean we care whether he lived or died,” George offered.

“You…just don’t get it,” Ron finally spoke up. “I was there and I failed to save him. You two had Dolohov to take down”and you succeeded.”

The twins offered their sympathies, and went off to bed. Slowly everyone did so as well until only Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny were left downstairs.

“You need some rest, mate,” Harry said. “You’ve barely slept the past two days.”

Ron sighed, and stood up. “I agree, but I’ll have to go one more night without sleep.”

Harry and Hermione looked at him in alarm. “Why?” they asked urgently.

“I need to do what I can against Voldemort even if I don’t like it,” he explained. “I’ll see you all tomorrow.” And with that he went out the back door.

There was a pause. “He didn’t quit,” Hermione said, shocked. “He said he was going to quit but he didn’t quit. Why on earth didn’t he quit?”

“He just said it,” Harry told her in remorse. “If whatever he’s doing is somehow putting a good enough kink into Voldemort’s plans, then it’ll be payback for Percy. Before he didn’t have too much sentiment to stay on.”

Ginny looked from one to the other. “Is this about Lupin coming over during the holidays?” They both nodded. “And you still don’t know?” They nodded again. She exhaled and said, “I’m going to bed.” Harry and Hermione looked at each other, and followed her upstairs.

Ron came back the next day amid a flurry of questions from parents and siblings alike. Those that weren’t there for the talk the previous night were panicked at his sudden absence from breakfast. But Ron kept silent, and barely showed emotion. In fact the most that he did show were when Charlie and Ginny had to leave that night.

“’Bye, Gin,” Ron said, giving her a warm hug. “Keep telling those snobs at Beauxbatons who’s the boss.” A nearby Fleur huffed, and it didn’t bother Ron.

Ginny saw that, and said nicely, “Be careful with whatever you’re doing.”

“Sure you won’t spill?” Charlie asked, coming to say his good-byes.

“Sworn to secrecy.”

“Take care,” Harry said to Ginny, giving her an innocent hug.

She let out a small smile. “I should be saying that to you.”
“We must be off, Ginny,” Fleur told her. “Madame Maxime only gave you a few days to mourn before you ‘ave to return.”

“See you, Harry,” Charlie said, shaking his hand. “Until next time. Only hope that Natalya’s not too sore at me for taking too much time off without her.”

“She should understand,” Harry assured him. It was, after all, his brother they were burying.

After the three of them left, Bill decided that it was his turn to go as well. “I’ll stop by more often, so don’t worry about me,” he said to his parents. Ron, Fred, George, Harry, and Hermione all decided to stay at the Burrow for a while longer.

“As if we have a choice,” Fred said, bitterly.

“Yeah, half our shop was demolished in the fight, not to mention the flat. Practically all of Diagon Alley is going reconstruction.”

Over the course of the next two weeks, things went by quietly. The Weasleys kept in a silent mourn, and Harry and Hermione followed suit. Ron had continued to go out every couple of nights, and there was nothing anybody could say to stop him. Either way, he did come back in tact, and looking both slightly satisfied and demoralized at the same time.

“Ungrateful child,” Mrs. Weasley kept on muttering under her breath, helping Dobby with supper. It was getting on in the afternoon, and Ron was usually home in the morning. “Should know better than to keep such things secret.” Despite her anger, Harry could sense her worry.

“Haven’t seen her on the edge in a while,” Fred pointed out.

“Yeah,” George took over. “Can those potatoes get any more mashed?”

Harry looked at them tiredly, and said, “You’ll get used to it. Besides, before Christmas Ron went out every other night. Now it’s just two or three times a week”even less sometimes.”

“That won’t stop Mum.”

Just then there was a tapping on the window. An owl standing on the windowsill with a letter clamped in its beak. A nearby Hedwig hooted in annoyance, and Harry couldn’t blame her since its been ages since he sent her on a delivery. Still, Mrs. Weasley went to let the owl in.

She took a quick glance at the letter, sighed, and said, “Harry, Hermione, Minerva wants the both of you at headquarters.”

Harry looked up from his meal confused. “Why?”

“Doesn’t say,” Mrs. Weasley answered, looking strained. “You should go.”

“If it’s anything dangerous, we’ll be careful,” Hermione assured her.

“Whatever it is, good luck,” George said, giving them a small salute.

“You know, Mum, we could make sure they were safe if you’d stop””

“Absolutely not!” Mrs. Weasley raged.

When another argument erupted, Harry and Hermione took their leave. They Apparated to the alley, and walked the rest of the way.

“What d’you reckon it is this time?” Harry asked.

“No clue,” she responded. “I just hope it’s worthwhile.”

Harry was about to agree, but when he opened the door to headquarters a shouting voice grabbed his attention.

“What the hell, Remus!” Bethany yelled, looking positively incensed. She was in the middle of the hallway yelling right at a patient Lupin. “What the bloody hell was the operation cancelled?”

“I already told you, Geoffrey, and everybody else, Beth: it would’ve been suicide,” Lupin said calmly. Harry and Hermione were looking from one to the other in confusion.

Bethany inhaled and exhaled hard. “Of course there were risks involved. But I was willing to stick my neck out!”
Lupin crossed his arms. “Since you won’t just accept it, fine I’ll tell you. The operation was scrapped because Trenton was moved.”

She looked flabbergasted. “But when? Why?”

“He was moved not too long ago,” he answered sorrowfully. “Aside from that, all I know from the owl the lookouts sent was that they took Trent away, and was replaced by many Death Eaters. We would’ve been running right into a trap.”

Bethany's eyes widened. “So they knew we were coming?”

Lupin nodded. “That’s the only explanation. I don’t know how but they got wind of our rescue attempt?”

“Rescue attempt?” Harry finally blurted out.

“We found out where Trenton was being held,” Lupin told him. “A rescue operation was planned, but as you heard it was scrapped.”

“Were Potter and Granger going to be part of it?” Bethany asked suddenly.

“Um, no, why?”

“Then whatever they’re here for, I want in,” she demanded.

“Sorry, Beth, but their mission has to be ran by only a few people,” Lupin objected.

“Then the next opportunity you have to stick it to the Death Eaters arrive, I better be part of it.” Without another word, Bethany stormed passed Harry and Hermione, and left headquarters.

“So how come I wasn’t told about this?” Harry asked Lupin accusingly. He wanted to help save Trenton too.

“You see why when you go upstairs,” Lupin responded, heading towards the door. “Right now I have to get more details from the lookouts.”

Wanting to know what he was called in for, Harry started up the stars with Hermione. When they reached the Council room they saw McGonagall sitting alone at the table. And it wasn’t until Harry heard the snoring that he realized Ron was sleeping on one of the chairs in front of the table.

“They finally arrived, Mr. Weasley, so will you please wake up!” McGonagall snapped, causing Ron to wake up with a snort.

“I’m up, I’m up,” he grunted, looking back at Harry and Hermione. “Morning.”

“It’s the afternoon,” Hermione said, holding back a grin, and taking a seat next to him. “How come you didn’t go back to the house?”

Ron rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. “After my usual all-nighter, I was told to rest here to be briefed on another mission later.”

“So what’s all this about?” Harry asked, sitting down.

“Very well, Mr. Potter,” McGonagall began, lacing her fingers. “There is no point in leading you on, so here it is: You-Know-Who has set up a dragon encampment up north, and I’m trusting the three of you in a mission to help destroy it.”

“What!” the three of them shouted out loud. Harry didn’t think he heard right, Hermione looked scared and confused, and Ron was now fully awake.

“But it makes no sense to send us,” Ron pleaded. “What do we know about dragons”much less destroy a whole encampment of them.”

“Not only that, but it doesn’t seem possible that Voldemort could set up such a thing,” Hermione told her. “You’d have to keep them under control, feed them, and keep them healthy. Besides, how come we haven’t heard anything about it until now?”


“Because, Ms. Granger, You-Know-Who hasn’t used them yet”but we suspect he will soon.” McGonagall turned her eyes to Ron. “And to answer you’re question, Mr. Weasley, we don’t intend on sending three teenagers to attack all by themselves.”

“So why are you telling us for?” Harry inquired, breathing a little easier after having such a load dumped on him.

“You all shall assist in destroying the encampment, but with covert sabotage. That is where Natalya Olivetti comes in.”

“Wait, Charlie’s girlfriend?” Ron asked, surprised.

“Yes. We called her in a few days ago, and had told her about the situation. Though it was the extremist of reluctances, she agreed to brew a potion that would kill the dragons that are posing a major threat to Muggles and wizards alike.”

“So, what, do we give this potion to the dragons or something?” Ron asked, arching an eyebrow curiously.

“Invisibility Cloaks will be provided, I assure you,” McGonagall answered. “Any further question can be answered by Ms. Olivetti.”

“But how come we were chosen?” Hermione said. “Surely there are other members like Hagrid that would be more used to this kind of thing.”

“I’m sorry, Ms. Granger,” McGonagall said, sighing. “But we can’t take the chance that Hagrid will try and put a leash around a dragon instead of killing it. And even though Ms. Olivetti was reluctant as a dragon medic to take part in this, she is still knows that we have no other choice.”

“That doesn’t answer why we””

“Because the three of you are one of the few members of the Order that know her. Though some wizards don’t bare many hardships to part vampires, unlike you, they’ll probably have some trouble following her instructions to the letter.”

Seeing that the meeting was coming to an end, Harry started to stand back up. “All right, we’ll just wait for her to pick us up, and””

“Sit back down, Potter,” McGonagall interrupted. Harry obliged. “You three shall be meeting Ms. Olivetti at a Muggle town east of the encampment right now. This mission is going to be executed tonight.”

“Tonight?” Harry said in confusion. “But you said the encampment was up north. Even by broom it’ll take hours to get there!”

McGonagall gave him an unsettling smirk. “Three…two…one.” At that instant it felt as if a hook was jerked forward behind his navel, and he fell head first into a mass a swirling color and light while Harry’s entire body was stuck to the chair.

When the chair landed, Harry was thrown off and he landed on a dusty floor. Beside him her heard two more chairs fall along with Ron and Hermione’s grunts.

“About time,” a voice said, followed by Harry being picked up almost like a doll. The only thing that prevented his feet from leaving the ground was that the woman the arm belonged was just a bit taller than him. “It’s almost sunset, so we have to leave now.” Natalya then went over to Ron and Hermione to pick them up as well.