Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
After Kostas, the Death Eater repeated everything he had said to the Council, his memory was erased, and was replaced with one of him thinking he poisoned the dragons. He was sent on his way. It was a very vivid reminder for Harry of what Voldemort had done to his uncle, but he had no say in the matter. The Council did not want to keep a Death Eater around who was of no use to them, and decided Natalya’s plan was best. As for asking Draker about Lectun Isle immediately, it was going to be put off until the next day, giving Harry ample time to investigate a thought he had.

“I dunno, Harry, I’m having a really hard time believing that,” Ron said, thinking.

“You think I’m one-hundred percent sure?” Harry retorted. “It’s the best lead we have to finding him right now, and to a certain extent it makes some sense.”

He, Ron, and Hermione had just gotten back to Gimmauld Place. Everyone at the Burrow was probably expecting them back, but Harry sent a letter say otherwise. As for Natalya, she immediately left to return to Romania. She was curious about what Draker had to say, but Natalya was needed elsewhere.

“He does have a point, Ron,” Hermione offered, though she looked unsure herself. “I mean if the A was for his uncle Arcturus, then it would fit.” The three of them were in the drawing room, pouring over the Black family tree that still hung on the wall. Kostas had said the island was important to Voldemort, so it could very well contain a Horcrux. If they did find one there that meant that Regulus Black had to have some sort of tie with them, since it was in his book that Harry found the spell in. And Regulus Black was just one initial short of R.A.B. The island, after all, was called Lectun Isle.

“I’m still not buying it,” Ron persisted. “Seriously, you would have to be important to know enough to find out about the Horcruxes if you were a Death Eater. And the way you said Sirius talked about his brother, I doubt he was important. He was just a bloody little coward that got in over his head.”

“He has a good point too, Harry.”

“Don’t you think I know that?” Harry asked, irritated.

“Besides, if it really was Regulus Black, where did he hide the locket, eh?” Ron reasoned.

“Defiantly not here,” Hermione said, looking around the room. “The message R.A.B. left had to be written before Voldemort’s fall. It sounded as if they knew each other, so Voldemort could’ve very well known about this house. And before the Fidelius Charm was put over this place he could have easily walked in and retrieved the locket.”

“Yeah, and I’m sure Kreacher would have been more than happy to help out his old master’s master,” After seeing Hermione’s glare, he quickly added, “Sorry!”

“Look,” Harry went on, “I’m not saying that it’s fact, alright? All I’m saying is that if we do find a Horcrux on the island, then we have to follow this.”

“I can work with that,” Hermione agreed.

Ron shrugged, saying, “If you say so.”

Before heading off to bed, Harry decided to get back into the habit of scouring Necessary Purification by Means of the Dark Arts, for any clues leading to the origin of the spell. But aside from the message on the inside cover, and the signs of aging, there were no other marking in the book. Eventually Harry gave up once more in looking for answers in it, and had fallen asleep.

None of them got up until the late morning the next day, and after a quick breakfast provided by Mrs. Weasley’s recent care package, they went back to headquarters. Lupin and Moody met them in the front hallway.

“I have a new technique to find out if he knows anything,” Lupin told them, motioning to go down to where Draker was being kept.

“It’s not anything nasty, is it?” Hermione asked reluctantly.
“I wouldn’t allow you to be here if it was.”

“So what are you going to do?” Harry asked.

“You’ll see.”

When they got down to the basement Harry got his first look at Draker in months. His cheeks were as hollowed as ever, his skin was pale, and he seemed to have aged by years. Harry almost felt sorry for taking him in the first place. Baxer, who was sitting nearby, stood in their presence.

“What’s going on?” Baxer asked.

“Possible mission, Geoffrey,” Moody answered. “If you hear this you’re part of it, so I suggest you back off now.” Baxer gulped and shook his head. “Your funeral, whelp.”

All attention then went to Draker. “Well, well,” he wheezed, looking up at them with empty eyes, “I’m once again blessed to bathe in Harry Potter’s grace. What is it this time?”

“Alastor,” Lupin said. When Moody pointed his wand at Draker, Lupin went behind the chair Draker was tied down in and undid the ropes. Everyone including Draker was stunned.

“What’s all this?” he asked, rubbing his wrists. But Lupin didn’t answer, and waved his wand to make a tray with food appear.

“Eat up,” he invited.

Draker along with Harry, Hermione, and Ron put on a quizzical look. “It’s poisoned.”

“Nope,” Lupin said without a hint of a lie. “Just ordinary food.” There was a few seconds hesitation before Draker pounced on the food like a wild animal. After about seven minutes of devouring the meal, he put down the chicken bone he was chewing on.

“What’s this about?” Draker demanded, but looking fully satisfied.

Lupin made a chair appear and face down facing him. “Voldemort isn’t going to win, Draker.” There was recoil at the sound of the name.

“Don’t say the Dark Lord’s name!”

“Even so he will lose,” he persisted. “As long as there are people who stand against him, the Death Eaters won’t win. Understanding that now will be very beneficial to your future.”

That caught Draker’s attention more thoroughly. “Where are you going with this?”

“We have the resources to make you disappear,” Lupin said seriously. “To live out the rest of your life away from persecution from the Death Eaters and Ministry alike.”

Draker began to chuckle softly. “And all I would have to do is answer another question?” Lupin nodded. “You think…that after fifty years in his service, I would turn traitor just like that? Well I’m won’t, werewolf. So you might as well force it out of me! When the Dark Lord takes over he shall honor me for holding out this long! And then I’ll make sure that each and every one of you are dealt with.”

“He’ll find out that you told us about the forest,” Lupin shot back.

“That’s different!” he squealed, looking uncomfortable. Draker shut his eyes tightly before saying, “He’ll overlook that.”

“Even if that is true it won’t matter because Voldemort won’t win!”

“Yes he will!”

Moody took over, and pressed his wand tightly to Draker’s throat. “And who says we’ll let you live after he does take over, Draker?” he said menacingly. “If you don’t answer the question we’re going to ask, then we’ll just dispose of you here and now. We’re sick of this, Draker. Sick of feeding you the meager portions we give you, and sick of having to come down to make sure you’re still alive.”

“So here’s the thing,” Lupin began. “You answer our question, and we’ll take you out of the country and make sure you live out the rest of your days in peace. If not, then there are people in this organization that would be more than happy to channel their aggressions against the Death Eaters on to you.”

Draker’s breathing started to become heavier, and his eyes started to linger on everyone in the room. Finally, he said, “All I have to do is answer your question?”

“That’s it?” Lupin confirmed.

“Fine…give it to me.” Harry exchanged looks of astonishment with Ron and Hermione. Behind them Harry saw Baxer look pleasantly surprised as well.

“Tell us about Lectun Isle.”

“What did you say?” Draker asked quickly, his eyes wide.

“Lectun Isle. What is it?”

“But how did you find out?”

“That doesn’t matter. Just tell us.”

Draker gulped loudly, and bowed his head. “I was stationed there back during the first war,” he answered, his voice turning hollow. “I wasn’t the highest ranking there, but I still did my fair share.”

“Your fair share of what?” Lupin pushed on.

There was a pause. “You know how people kept on disappearing? Most of them ended up there.” Draker ginned smugly, probably knowing that the Order wouldn’t do anything since they needed him. “I believe one of your number...Caradoc Dearborn, I think...passed through there.”

“Don’t push it!” Moody growled, putting his wand to his temple.

Harry saw that Lupin’s nerve was struck as well, but he kept his cool. “Keep going.”

“Okay, okay! At the island experiments were performed.” At that Harry did recoil. Voldemort conducting experiments definitely wasn’t a good thing. “The Killing Curse didn’t come naturally to everyone, so alternative forms of bodily harm were created.”

Lupin scowled. “The deal still stands, Draker, so give us anything we can use.”

Draker looked up at the ceiling in thought. “When the Dark Lord fell, we destroyed all records of out involvement there lest it ever be discovered.”

“And how does that help us?”

“About two years before that,” he went on quickly, “the Dark Lord closed off part of the island to everybody. Just like the forest, he didn’t give a reason.”

“I don’t know,” Lupin said, looking unconvinced. “But it seems worth to check out. How do we get there?”

“On the east coast about thirty miles south of Sunderland. There’s an old harbor there if the seas haven’t claimed it yet.” Draker then cringed. “Even then there will still be an Inferi steering a barge stopping at the location. It won’t attack, so just get on, and it’ll take you to the island.”

“Can’t we get there by broom?” Lupin asked.

He shook his head. “Just that barge. Only thing that can get through the barrier.”

Lupin sighed, and looked up at Moody. “Anything else?” Moody shook his head.

“How’d it get its name?” Harry spoke up.

Draker frowned up at Harry. “As if I’d know something so trivial.”

“We’ll make you arrangements as soon this is done and over with,” Lupin told Draker, tying him up again. “You have my word.” He looked at Baxer. “As Alastor told you, Geoffrey, you’ll be part of the mission.”

“What!” Harry objected. He still remembered the performance that Baxer had put up back at Kartley. “Are you sure?”

“Harry’s right, Remus,” Baxer said, shaking a bit. “Don’t think I’ll be much help. I could leave now and pretend I didn’t hear.”

Lupin shook his head. “Look, just stay here until your shift is over.” He then went back upstairs, and everyone else followed. “We’ll summon you later.”

“Weasley,” Moody suddenly barked. “I know you’re off the Horcrux case, but you think you can go?”

Ron shook his head regretfully, surprising Harry and Hermione. “Sorry, but I’m due back tonight.”

“That’s fine,” Lupin responded. “Guess I’ll be going. And, Harry, I want Bethany to be part of this too. You heard her after the rescue mission was cancelled.”

“She doesn’t have to know about this,” Harry said.

“She could be helpful in case of trouble.” Harry thought about it and nodded. Besides, if Mundungus Fletcher went to the forest, why couldn’t she go to the next place? “And just like last time there should be a scouting party first. Alastor?”

Moody shook his head. “Scouting, yes. Party, no. I’ll check this harbor myself later today to make sure it isn’t a waste of time. I know a place in Sunderland, so if and when I’ve confirmed this mission is a go, the retrieval party can start there.”

“I’ll go with you,” Harry insisted.

“No, if this turns out to be reliable, then we don’t want you fatigued in the morning from the expedition. I’ll send you an owl telling you where to meet up.” Knowing he had no other choice, Harry nodded.

So that night after Ron left, Harry and Hermione stayed almost the entire night in the drawing room waiting for that letter. Harry once again picked up the book, while Hermione dozed off on a sofa.

“If Mudbloods persist to be a problem and you don’t want to implicate yourself, then Dementors are the solution,” Harry read, his stomach churning. “Have a cheery house elf go to a dank and miserable location to attract one, and have it lead the Dementor to the offensive one’s home.” Harry doubted that it would work if put into action, but the idea was still disturbing. Wonder how Hermione took it.

It was getting very late, when from down in the hallway Harry heard the chime of the doorbell. Hermione was then instantly woken up when Mrs. Black started her usual rant again. After shutting the portrait, they went to the door to find Lupin standing there.

“So I take it the information’s valid?” Harry asked excitedly, not caring that it was getting to be three in the morning.

Lupin nodded. “Alastor found the harbor Draker was talking about, and soon after an Inferi steered barge came into view. Let’s go, we’re meeting everyone in Sunderland.”

“And we go on from there?” Hermione said, as she and Harry went outside and closed the door behind them.

“Correct,” he answered, taking a quick look around and grabbing hold of them. He then Apparated them to a remote road and then lead them to a normal looking house. Since they it seemed like a rural area outside the actual city, and it was so late, the three of them calmly went inside.

Standing next to the fireplace in the living room was a serious looking Bethany, who noticed them coming in. “Had my doubts, but I guess this is the real thing.”

“More than you know, Williams,” Moody growled, hobbling into the room. He then stopped. “Where the hell is Baxer?”

“Just brief us now,” Lupin said. “This should be pretty straight forward.”

Moody exhaled impatiently, and said, “Sit down, all of you. I confirmed that there really is a harbor around the area Draker mention, and not too long after finding it a Inferi steering a barge docked there.”

Bethany put on a look of bewilderment. “A Inferi driven barge? All I was only told about the island. What kind of madness is that?”

“You-Know-Who’s madness, Williams. Their merely puppets that do the master’s bidding; the only reason people don’t have those foul creatures cleaning houses is because of the Dark magic.”

“So what’s the island like?” Hermione asked, with her fists balled up.

“No damn clue, Granger. But if the harbor exists, then so must the island. You four shall get on the barge, and start exploring the island. With any luck a Horcrux will be there.”

“Aren’t you coming with us?” Bethany asked pointedly.

Harry honestly didn’t mind, the fewer the better.

“I can answer that,” Lupin interjected, stepping forward. “We have no idea what the island is going to be like”basically if there is some sort of trap, then we’re going to spring it. So, Alastor is going to wait by the harbor with some other members of the Order incase we need assistance.”

Moody then withdrew what looked like four glass eggs, and handed one to each of them. “If you run into some trouble, throw these on the ground. A small bird will eject, and find its way straight to me.”

As Harry took his, he thought it would be a shame to shatter it. It seemed like the kind of trinket that a child would be punished for breaking. He pocketed it.

“So we ready to leave?” Harry asked.

The front door then slammed open, and Baxer stumbled inside. Lupin was about to say something, but Baxer put up a finger while he took a deep breath. “So…what did I miss?” Harry rolled his eyes, seeing what Hermione was talking about back at Kartley about being incompetent.

“Oh nothing, Geoffry, we just came back from the island and found a Horcrux,” Bethany said mockingly. “Now we’re having a little party.”

“Why are you so late?” Lupin asked. “You were supposed to arrive at the same time as Bethany.”

“Sorry, Remus, just had to take care of business,” Baxer responded apologetically.

“This late at night?” Hermione pointed out.

Baxer ignored her. “Anyone care to catch me up?”

She leaned into Harry’s ear, and whispered, “Probably slept in.” Harry had to agree.

Moody took out another egg and forced it into Baxer’s hands. “Incase you run into trouble,” he explained simply.

“Trouble?” he inquired.

“Just break if you run into it,” Moody answered, making for the stairs. “I want to rest up before I’m needed again, Remus, so take over from here.”

“Sure.” Lupin then turned to everyone. “We move out before dawn, and brooms shall be provided.

So for the next hour and a half, Harry just sat around waiting for the time to come. Just like he told Ron, if there really was a Horcrux on the island, then they have to investigate R.A.B being Regulus Black. Maybe he was more important than Sirius made him out to be.

“Can’t bloody wait ‘til this search is over, and we get storm You-Know-Who’s fortress,” Bethany said to him, her voice full of anticipation. “I’d do anything to have at it right now, and rescue Trenton and whoever else might be locked with him.”

“I have a much different target in mind,” Harry admitted. “Possibly two.”

She grinned. “If there’s anyone that deserves their revenge, it’s you, Potter.”

“It’s almost time,” Lupin announced after looking out a window. “Everybody out the back.” And from the closet he took out five brooms, which he handed to them one at a time. “I’ll lead. Harry and Hermione are to take the middle. Beth and Geoffrey take the rear.”

After getting into position, Harry stepped over his broom. And when Lupin gave the signal, Harry kicked up and rose along with the four other brooms. They first made their way to the nearby coast, and then turned due south.