Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: sorry for the wait even though this had to go un-betaed
Crack!



There was the sound of someone on a chair toppling over, and then Ron bolted up saying in surprise, “Harry!” His eyes then widened when they saw the cup in Harry’s hands, and he grinned ear to ear. “You did it! You got the Horcrux!” But then his smile dropped. “Where’s Hermione?”



“She’s fine,” Harry answered, passing him and going up the stairs into the hallway.



“Then why isn’t she with you?” Ron asked, following him up. Harry went up to the drawing room, and went straight to the bookshelf. “What are you doing?”



Harry grabbed Necessary Purification by Means of the Dark Arts, and said, “Hermione’s at headquarters, and I’m here to get some quick answers.”



Ron made a move to leave but immediately turned back looking confused. “From who?”



In response, Harry called, “Kreacher!”



The old house-elf then shuffled into the drawing room, and he bowed all the way down to the floor. “What can Kreacher do for mast”?”



“Tell me about this book,” Harry said, tossing it at Kreacher’s feet. “And I want the truth.”



“Um, seems to me that you should have asked him this ages ago,” Ron pointed out.



“Oh, really?” he said sarcastically, then turning back to Kreacher. “Well, go on.”



“This book is belonging to master Regulus many years ago for joining the Dark Lord,” the house-elf answered. “A present from mistress.”



“I figured that much,” Harry persisted, urging him on. “If it was a present, then how come it’s here? Don’t leave anything out.”



Kreacher picked up the book, closed his eyes, and shook his head. “One night,” he wheezed with reluctance, “I is seeing master Regulus return to this noble dwelling while it was still in its majesty.” Kreacher paused to give Harry a brief but angry glare. “He had this book, and was asking mistress for the home of my previous master.”



“Sirius?” Harry asked. The house-elf’s ears wobbled when he nodded.



“Bloody hell,” Ron whispered. “What was that about?”



“Keep going!” Harry ordered after a few seconds of silence.



“Mistress wondered why he wanted to see her blood traitor son, but all he said was… ‘need him now just in case.’” Harry and Ron looked at each other with wide eyes. “But mistress obviously kept no contact with her awful son, so she didn’t know. So, master Regulus gave her book, begged her to keep it safe, and left saying he would return.” Kreacher glared up at them with his aged eyes. “He was found dead a few days later.”



“A”Anything else?” he asked anxiously. “Anything at all?”



Kreacher once again nodded, but it looked like it was forced. “He also left a locket with mistress.”



There was a pause. “I was wrong,” Ron said laughing happily. “Never in my life was I so happy to be wrong!” His eyes shot at Harry. “Not just me but Hermione, too! She was the one who agreed with me about the locket not being here.”



“And where is it now?” Harry asked excitedly. “I order you to tell me.”



“Kreacher does not know,” the house-elf said without hesitation. He gave them a brief, gloating smirk.



“What do you mean?” he asked, his spirits dropping instantly. “How could you now know?”



“Because the locket master wants is no longer in the place that it was. Kreacher has not known the locket’s place for a long time.”



“How long?” Harry demanded.



Grumbling, Kreacher said, “Three years almost.”



“Wasn’t that when this place ifrst became headquarters?” Harry asked Ron.



After a few seconds Ron said in a nauseous tone, “Harry, you don’t actually think that, um…you know, we could’ve accidentally thrown away the Horcrux…do you?”



“No way,” Harry said, shaking his head like mad. “There is no way you could get rid of something so evil that easily.”



“But what if you could?”



“Then where the hell does trash go after you put it in one of those rubbish bins?” Harry asked, giving in to the panic. “It can’t just turn into nothingness.”



“How am I s’posed to know?” Ron retorted. “You think I wonder where my trash goes after I throw it away?”



“We’re going to headquarters,” Harry said, turning away from Kreacher and heading out the door. “It’s more likely the locket was misplaced, so we have to arrange for the Order to turn this house upside-down”literally if it’s necessary.”



The house-elf squealed, and ran up by Harry as they went downstairs. “Does master think that is the wisest decision?”



Harry stopped. “Why? Do you know where the locket is after all?”



“Kreacher does now know, but””



Ignoring him, Harry and Ron went proceeded back downstairs to Apparate. They ended up in the usual alley near headquarters, checked for any Muggles, and hustled the rest of the way to headquarters. Harry was about to reach for the knob, but before he touched it was opened on the other side.



“You said it would be quick, Harry,” Lupin told him, ushering them both in. Behind him Bethany appeared, and she was holding an unconscious Draker over her shoulder. “What took so long?”



“Well, Remus, I’m off,” Bethany said, hitching up Draker. Before going out the door she stopped and looked from Harry to Ron. “See you ‘round, Potter…. Nice seeing you again, Weasley.” She went out the door, and Lupin closed it behind her.



After a few seconds, Harry asked, “Um…what’s she doing?”



“Taking him to a safe house where Mundungus keeps some of his merchandise,” Lupin answered, gesturing him upstairs. “From there we’re going to send a small party to release Draker in a couple of days.”



“What!” Harry exclaimed, stopping and looking at Lupin as if he was mad. “Draker knew exactly what Baxer was going to do after he overheard about the island. How can you keep your promise after all the trouble we went through?”



Lupin looked at him. “Harry, I said ‘release’ not ‘take care of’. Draker did know that there would likely be an ambush since Baxer was in the room yesterday, but it was on his information that we retrieved another Horcrux. Besides, he is of no further use to us, so that’s why we’re merely dumping him somewhere in the countryside.”



“But he could be of use to the Death Eaters,” Harry retorted. “He’s been here, he’s seen faces.”



“Didn’t I just say that Voldemort lost another one of his Horcruxes to us on Draker’s information?” Lupin asked rhetorically. “He might want him back, but only to severely punish him. Draker knows nothing important enough that will be able to deter Voldemort’s wrath.”



Harry then slightly surprised himself by saying, “I hope they find him.” He then looked over at Ron, and decided that he might as well tell him. “Baxer was spying on us for the Death Eaters the whole time. He’s responsible for a lot of things.”



“You’re joking?” Ron said skeptically. “There was an ambush?”



“We’re all alright,” Harry told him, making for upstairs again. “But it definitely wasn’t easy getting out of it.”



Ron shook his head. “That git,” he muttered.



“Anyway, we already debriefed everybody else who was at the island,” Lupin went on. “All that’s needed for now is for you to turn in the cup.” He then looked curiously at the book that was still in Harry’s hands. “What’s that for?”



Harry forced it into his hands. “Inside cover,” he answered. He caught a glimpse of Lupin’s eyes widening, and Harry carried on to the Council room.



After the door was opened two things happened. Ron and Hermione immediately caught sight of each other, and quickly ram up to hug each other. Lupin went straight to the table where Moody was sitting, and opened the book saying, “Look at this.” Moody had the same reaction as Lupin



“Were you hurt?” Ron asked her, pulling back a little. “You have no idea how worried I was, even before I found out about Baxer.” He looked up at the table. “Speaking of which, what’s going to happen to that slimy mole?”



“We’re deciding that now,” Lupin said. “First, Harry, please present the cup.”



Harry proceeded to slam the cup down on the table. “I trust this is going the way of the scepter.”



“You can be sure of that, Potter,” Moody growled. “And if you don’t believe me, look for yourself.” From under the table he produced the same scepter that was retrieved from the orphanage many months before”but it was different. The gold was tarnished, and the sapphire encrusted at the top was worn and cracked. “Seems like a fair trade. Well have that cup destroyed soon.”



Hermione came over and took it in her hands. “Just as Slughorn said,” she confirmed.



“Now,” Moody said, waving the book in Harry’s face, “what’s this all about?”



“Are you seriously going to tell them this?” Hermione inquired with skepticism. “We may have gotten a Horcrux, but it still seems””



“Just listen,” Ron interrupted, giving her a quick grin. All attention was then on Harry.



“The Horcrux was in a safe, and I used that spell written there to open it,” Harry started out confidently. “I asked Kreacher about the book, and now I want all of Grimmauld Place searched on the off chance that we could find the locket.”



There was a few seconds of silence. “You sure about this, Harry?” Lupin asked.



He shrugged. “I think it’s still a long shot, but it’s the best we have. If the Order won’t follow up on this then I’ll do it all by myself if I have to.”



Lupin rubbed his eyes tiredly. “Fine, I don’t see the harm in it. Alastor?”



“Very well, but I want to hear more,” Moody said. “Order that house-elf of yours to tell us exactly what he told you”down to the last detail. As for you three, get some sleep. We’ll send some people who are already familiar with the house tomorrow.”



Harry would have immediately objected, wanting to start the search as soon as possible. But he suddenly noticed how tired he was, having stayed up all night waiting to get to the island. Still, there was one more thing on his mind.



“Tell me what you think about this when you get the chance,” Harry asked of Lupin, withdrawing the letter and list meant for Voldemort. With the spell out of his mind, that would now occupy the back of his mind. He once again saw his eyes widen with surprise as he looked down the list.



On the way back to Grimmauld Place Ron gave Hermione a quick explanation of Harry’s actions. She also became certain that the house had to be thoroughly searched just in case. Before going upstairs to get some well earned rest, Harry had ordered Kreacher to tell the exact same story to the Council and head right back to the house. He grudgingly obeyed.



After Harry went to bed to get a little rest, he spent the rest of the day looking all over Grimmauld Place. Most people would’ve been content to find one Horcrux a day, but there was no point in putting it off. He didn’t find anything, but he didn’t really expect it to be so easy.



The extra help that arrived from the Order the next day didn’t do too much either. They were mostly made up of people that Harry had seen in and out of meetings when Grimmald Place was still headquarters. Over the course of the next few days Harry had them look under every piece of furniture.



“Harry, we’ve looked all over the drawing room three times today,” one of them said. “It’s not there.”





“Then help out in the kitchen,” Harry told him. “We can’t just give up.”



“Whatever you say.” He went downstairs as he was told, and passed Ron and Hermione as they came up.



“Lupin’s here,” Ron said. “He brought Tonks and Dung to help out.”



“Good,” he said, coming up with an idea. “We’ll need the extra people to tear up the floorboards in the kitchen.”

“Isn’t that a little much?” Hermione asked, as they went down. “We’re ruining the house as it is, Kreacher might have an attack.”



“Hey…yeah,” Ron responded brightly. He quickly wiped his smile.



“Anyway,” Hermione continued slowly, “Kreacher also said that the locket’s been missing for three years. It could very well have been taken out of the house.”



Harry decided to ignore that. If she was right, then the chance of finding the locket was extremely slim. When they got down to the kitchen, he called over Mundungus, and they proceeded to rip off the flooring one board at a time.



“You’ve of course know ‘bout the tense situation I was in these past few days, right?” Mundungus suddenly asked, as he put aside the wood.



“You mean Draker?” he asked back, as he used his wand to pull out a nail. “Yeah, he was kept in your keeping for a few days, so what?”



“Actually, where that Death Eater was kept I also stow certain…goods”goods that the Ministry wouldn’t take kindly to.”



Harry tore off the floorboard, and stuck his head under the space below. “Where are you going with this?”



“Ever since Draker stayed there I was scared outta my wits that the Ministry would barge in lookin’ for ‘im, and then I’d be done for. And even though he’s been released, I was still rather tense afterwards.”



“Just get to the point, will you?” Harry was getting tired of being distracted. “Lumos!” All he saw was cobwebs and dust in the gap beneath.



“What I mean is that I was barely paying attention when I was dragged over here for the search, so I ‘ave no idea what I’m lookin’ for.”



He finally turned to face him. “Are you serious?” Mundungus nodded. “The locket, Dung! Salazar Slytherin’s locket that Voldemort used as vessel for his soul!”



“Here?” he asked, looking around confused.



“I know it doesn’t make the most sense, Dung, but it’s the only thing that we have to go on. So…unless you happen to find a golden locket with a snake in an S shape, don’t talk again. Got it?” He then started to get to work on the next floorboard.



“Oh,” he heard Mundungus say in comprehension. “Ooooohhhhhh....”



Harry immediately recognized the foreboding tone, and turned to face Mundungus again grabbing his shoulders. “D’you know where it is, Dung? The locket? Have you seen it?” he asked, shaking him. “You can tell me.”



“Nope, haven’t seen it,” he answered quickly, going back to work enthusiastically. “We’ll just have to keep on looking.” He grunted as he tore off another one.



“No, no, no, Dung, you have seen it before, haven’t you?” Harry asked again, dragging him up. “I heard you, so don’t deny it.”



“I haven’t seen it before,” Mundungus claimed, starting to panic.



“Yes you have!” Everybody in the kitchen was starting to look at them in confusion.



“I swear, mate, I have no idea what happened to that locket.”



Harry grabbed the neck of his robes, and slammed him against the wall. “Voldemort knew that we knew, Dung. And by now he knows that all of his Horcruxes are gone. So, we have to find out what happened to this locket as fast as possible before he can make another one! Now, if you please, tell me what you know.”



Mundungus gulped loudly. “It’s a lose-lose situation for me. Even if I spill then you’ll still get peeved.”



After breathing in and out to calm himself, and Harry said, “I promise that I won’t hurt you if you tell me. If not…I can’t make that promise.”



“It was a few years ago,” Mundungus began nervously under Harry’s glare. “You know, it was business as usual. I was looking through a bag of rubbish when I saw found it.”



“Mundungus…you didn’t?” Lupin said in horror.



“It was obviously worth a small fortune, and it was being chucked out anyways, so I took it.” He tried to smile as if it was an amusing situation, but it didn’t help him. “And not too long after I went to a big customer of mine, and I sold it for a few ‘undred Galleons.”



“To who?” Harry demanded in a quiet but extremely threatening tone.



“Now this is the part where you’re gonna get mad at me,” he said nervously, making fast gestures with his hands. “But you can’t blame me ‘cause I didn’ know back then”none of us knew!”



“Just tell me!” Harry demanded.



“But it’s okay,” he went on, trying to be reassuring. “Because I didn’t know what it was. I don’t think he knew either. It was most likely a good deal on both parts, not a gift to You-Know-Who.”



“Who?” he almost yelled.



“Dempsher!” he answered, his voice cracking with fear. “Henry Dempsher.” Everybody in the room froze.



And instead of getting angry and wanting to beat Mundungus senseless, Harry’s grip went slack in despair. “How?” he asked nobody in particular. “If Voldemort has it, then I’ll have to raid wherever he is, take the Horcrux, quickly destroy somehow, and then kill him. It’s impossible.”



“Of all the times, Mundungus,” Lupin said in frustration. “Of all the times that you’ve proven yourself a crook and incompetent, this blows it out of the water!” He shook his head. “The forest doesn’t matter anymore. We never should have invited you to join.”



“But I already told you!” Mundungus said desperately. “I don’t think that Henry Dempsher gave it to You-Know-Who. All I remember was seeing greed in his eyes when I sold him the locket. There was no other intention.”



“Besides,” Harry chimed in, recalling what Snape had said, “he shouldn’t have even known that the Horcruxes existed in the first place. Not even Snape knew, so what are the chances that Dempsher knew. I think Dung might actually be right.”



“That still doesn’t help up,” Lupin told him. “Henry Dempsher is in Azkaban. It’d be a miracle if any of us got to question him about the locket.”



“Actually,” Tonks spoke up, brightening up, “I think it’s very possible, Remus.” All eyes then went on her, and she smiled. “The Auror office fed the story that Dempsher was sent to prison to the papers. Actually, he’s being held somewhere for questioning. I doubt we could get him for ourselves through normal channels, but he’s being guarded by inexperienced recruits.”



“So,” Harry said, catching on, “all we have to do is””



“Absolutely not!” Lupin interjected, putting his foot down. “If you mean deliberately go against the Ministry, then that is out of the question.”



“Why is that?” Harry asked, his only hope slipping away. “We’ve gone against the Ministry before.”



“The only time that we’ve moved against the Ministry was when Dumbledore claimed that Voldemort had returned”all those other times we’ve simply worked around them. We can’t simply launch an assault against our own government.”



“And a lot of us work for the Ministry,” someone else in the kitchen spoke up. “If any of us get caught we’re done for. Seriously, Tonks, what’re you thinking?”



“Sorry,” Tonks apologized, slightly recoiling. “I just got caught up in the moment.”



Lupin exhaled. “Well since it was still Mundungus who confirmed that the locket is no longer here, we should leave this as is. And then try to pick up some other trail.”


“But there is no other trail!” Harry argued. But everybody was already heading out. He caught Tonks by the arms before she went out the door. “Just tell me where he is. I’ll take him myself if I have to. You know as well as I do that this is our only choice if we want to stop Voldemort.”



She paused and looked up at Lupin as he was leaving. “Look, Harry, incase you’re thinking it, my feelings aren’t getting in the way. Remus has a very good point. If this is traced back to me, my life would go straight down the tubes. Plus, anyone that’s captured in the raid would be branded for treason. Besides, it was just on instinct that I blurted it out.”



“Some say that the first instinct is the best one,” Harry said to her seriously. “And as for the risk, some people would think it’s worth it. Look, all you have to do is give me the information I need and that’s it. Leave the rest to me.”



Tonks but her lip as she looked around once more. “I’ll send you a message tomorrow at three. Make sure that this isn’t traceable to any of us.” She then broke the grip, and left upstairs.



When the kitchen was almost empty Ron came up and patted Harry on the shoulder. “I’m with you all the way, mate.”



“So am I,” Hermione added in. “I just have one concern. The three of us aren’t enough to pull this off.”



“Yeah,” Harry responded in thought. “I know.”



“So what are we going to do?”



Harry absolutely hated himself for what he was thinking, but he knew there was no other choice. The purpose of it wasn’t to commit treason, though in the long run it would mean Voldemort’s demise. Exhaling loudly, he asked heavily, “How many do you think started carrying their coins again?”