Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Secret Spell by Phoenix 86

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: FINALLY! Chapter 30 to come soon.
Just as Tonks promised a letter arrived from her the next at three. It detailed the location of the place where Dempsher was being kept, how many guards were around him at certain times, and when the best day to kidnap—take possession of—Dempsher would be. After the letter was read, Harry brought out his old Galleon that summoned meetings for the D.A. Ron had already confirmed that Fred and George were more than willing to participate, and that they could use Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes as the meeting place.

“Tonks said the best time to attack would be four days from now,” said Harry, as he was about to etch in his coin. “I’ll set up the meeting for tomorrow at seven at the joke shop. And, Hermione, can you make another Jinxed parchment just incase?”

“If you say so,” she said.

“No way will anyone sign it after what happened to Marietta Edgecombe,” Ron pointed out.

“If anybody agrees to this then they’ll be warned about the consequences beforehand. Besides, it’s necessary if we want everybody involved to avoid any trouble.”

Over the course of the rest day what Harry was thinking and what he was doing were contradicting. On the inside he was hoping that nobody would actually show up to the meeting, or that if anybody did they’d back out. But at the same time he’s been planning out the sort of techniques that will be revisited if the operation went forward. Harry was also studying a rough sketch that Tonks also sent of the area north of York where Dempsher was being held. He was already formulating a plan, but whether or not it’d work would depend on how many people were on board.

But no matter what he was thinking there was no turning back from the meeting now. Those that were carrying their coins again had to be determined to help, and wouldn’t care if the coin suddenly told them to not go. When the time came for him, Ron, and Hermione to leave, all Harry could do was dedicate himself to putting the safety of everybody first.

“Is it ready?” Harry asked Hermione as they entered Diagon Alley for the first time since the night Percy was killed. He tried not to let that memory brood over him. It seemed harder for Ron, who looked down on himself.

“I have it right here,” she confirmed, patting her pocket. “Now, Ron, are you sure that Fred and George said it was okay to use their shop?” That question was probably more to get him out of his thoughts.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I wouldn’t ask them without explaining what we’re up to first. They’re even closing the shop for us.”

As they passed through the shops they found it to be in the same condition that it was when they last came to buy school supplies. All of the shops had been repaired since the battle, people were traveling in packs again, and the stands selling fake Dark repelling charms were back up. But among the bleak scene before them they also found Neville Longbottom already waiting outside the joke shop, which had a closed sign on it.

When they came into view he had jumped up, and ran towards them. “Hey!”

Harry actually smiled at seeing one of his old classmates after so long. “Neville! How’ve you been?”

“Fine,” he answered, shaking his hand madly. “Gran barely lets me out of the house, though. I had to sneak out.”

“But you’re of age?” Ron said looking scandalized.

“But she’ll always be my grandmother.”

The door to the joke shop then opened, and Fred poked his head out saying, “Oi! Get in here, or do you want to get in trouble?”

“Trouble for what?” Neville asked. “Surely our meetings are legal now.”

Harry gave him a serious look. “I’ll explain when it’s time.”

Before going in, Ron looked left and right expectantly. “I would’ve expected to see Luna floating in by now.” Hermione smacked him on the arm hard. “Ouch! What was that fo—?” He stopped himself and cringed. “I’m a git.”

“All I read in the Prophet about her last summer was that the Ministry took her in hiding,” said Neville. “Doubt she’d be able to slip them like I did Gran.”

“We have our flat ready,” George informed them. He took the four of them in the back, and up some stairs. Along the way Harry saw some products that were probably close to being marketed such as Hand Transforming Wands, Gravity Grenades, and Extra Stink Soap. “I didn’t know how many to expect, so we put out chairs for everybody.”

“I doubt we’ll need that many,” Harry said when they entered the room. “Oh yeah, I need the two of you to do me a favor if anyone leaves during the meeting.”

By the time that seven arrived Harry saw able to see outside as more people showed up outside the shop. They had knocked on the door uncertainly, and were quickly let in by Fred or George. The first to show up were fellow Gryffindors Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas. They were then followed by Parvati and Padma Patil, and (to Ron’s discomfort) Lavender Brown. After them came Hufflepuffs Ernie Macmillan, Susan Bones, and Justin Finch-Fletchley.

“Ah, finally he came,” said George as Lee Jordan arrived. “Thought he’d be here sooner after that owl we sent him.” Harry hadn’t really expected too many people who had already left Hogwarts. Then Terry Boot, Anthony Goldstein, and even Michael Corner showed up. It was a far larger turn out than Harry had come to expect.

A few nods were exchanged between everybody but they mostly kept silent as they took a seat. And just like back at the Hog’s Head they looked up at Harry waiting for him to say something. Harry was about to say something when he realized that while planning out his plan of attack he hadn’t planned what he was going to say.

“Um, glad to see that so many of had started to carry their coins again,” Harry started lamely. “But whether you were hoping to help against Death Eaters this time around, or to continue our training against Dark Forces, I’m sorry to say that those weren’t the reasons why I called this meeting.”

“Well what other reason could you have for calling us here?” Michael Corner asked.

“You all know about Henry Dempsher, right?” asked Harry, receiving mostly nods. Dean, who had Muggle parents, looked a little confused but then Seamus leaned over to them to explain. He was shocked. “Well I found out from an Auror friend of mine that he is not in Azkaban, but he’s being held somewhere by the Ministry for questioning.”

They all looked at each other in confusion, but all the attention went back to Harry when he was ready to talk again. It was time for the hard part. “Two days ago I found out that Dempsher is in possession of extremely important information, though he doesn’t know it.”

“I’m sorry, Harry, but the Ministry won’t just hand over Dempsher to you,” said Ernie. “If they went as far as lying to the Prophet about his location, then you’ll have to…” He trailed off when he saw where Harry was going.

Harry nodded grimly. “The information that Dempsher knows is important, and if he has to be taken from the Ministry by force then so be it.” He looked over all the shocked faces. “The only problem is that I need help.”

“You want us to go against the Ministry?” Susan Bones asked, shocked. “Don’t you realize that if any of us are captured that—”

“We’d be tried for treason,” Harry finished for her. “Yes, I realize that. But the risk is definitely worth it if I get the needed information.”

“And what information would that be?” asked Terry Boot. “What could be so important that you’re asking all of us to stick out our necks?”

Harry had no choice. He knew that to get the maximum amount of support he’d have to be as open as possible with them. “No matter what we do at this point Voldemort can’t be killed,” he started off solemnly. The name was enough to get them all jumping, but what Harry just said caused more of a panic.

“What do you mean?” Parvarti and Padma Patil said together.

“You’re joking?” Dean blurted out.

“He has these…objects,” Harry began again when it quieted down a little. “These object prevent with him from dying, he has six of them, and five of are definitely are out of the way.” He paused for a second to look at everybody and wondering how many would keep quiet. It doesn’t matter, he thought, now looking over at Fred and George. “Dempsher knows where the last one is even if he doesn’t know what it is. If all goes well then Voldemort can be killed.”

“Why can’t you just, you know, ask the Ministry for Dempsher?” Susan said.

“It’s as Ernie said, the Ministry lied to the Prophet so no one outside the Ministry is supposed to know. Doing that would put my friend in trouble. Also, after I helped get Scrimgeour booted I’m not exactly popular around there. And if the Ministry found out what we know what Dempsher knows, then it’ll somehow get to Voldemort, and he might get to Dempsher first. A major mole may have been discovered but that doesn’t mean there aren’t anymore.

“Now…any volunteers?” Harry asked trying to hide how anxious he was. “Those that don’t want in can leave now. I won’t stop you.” If he told them Fred and George would then forcibly erase their memories before leaving it would brood too much distrust. For those might go the way of Marietta Edgecombe he had Hermione.

“This isn’t some school rule that if we break we’re facing expulsion,” said Ernie worriedly. “It’s the law.”

“That’s why I’m asking for volunteers. Just like joining the D.A. nobody is being forced into this.”

“Will you try to make sure that nobody gets in trouble for this?” Lavender said.

“That’s my first priority,” Harry assured strongly.

“Well can we think about this first?” asked Susan.

“This has to happen in three days,” Harry informed them. “If you are positive you want out now then leave. And for those that stay I want to do some reviewing of spells and jinxes.”

A few heads turned to see if anybody was getting up to leave, but miraculously nobody did. They all mostly just shifted in their seats nervously and kept their eyes on Harry, who was satisfied and nodded at Hermione.

“This time I’ll be truthful this time,” she started out. “To ensure that nobody decides to go behind our backs everybody here has to sign up.” Hermione brought out the sheet of parchment. “It’s jinxed so that those that do go to somebody not only will large pimples appear all over your face, but if Marietta Edgecombe ever saw you she’d consider herself lucky.” Her eyes were deadly serious. “I don’t want to believe any of you will betray us but no chances are being taken when everybody here is facing time in Azkaban.”

That last statement definitely had a strong effect on all of them; a few even left their seats. But they looked from Harry to the exit where Fred and George stood and sat back down. Neville also looked unnerved, but he was the first to get up, take the parchment from Hermione, and say rather bravely, “Have ink and a quill?”

And slowly but surely everybody else started to get up and sign the parchment as well. But as they did a couple seemed as if they were shocked by what they have done. And when everybody sat back down they looked as anxious as ever.

Just to give them all reassurance for the risk they were going to take, Harry stood up and said as steadily as he could, “I promise I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure no one get in trouble. Check your Galleons over the next few days for our meeting place to practice. Thanks…and come up with a good excuse for your absence,” he added as an afterthought.

“Well that went better than expected,” Ron said after everyone had left.

“Probably a good thing I left out the part where the hands would swell up too if a persons gives us away,” said Hermione, rolling up the jinxed parchment. “That might’ve been a bit much.”

“The problem now is getting a place a practice in by tomorrow,” Harry pointed out. “Any ideas?” he asked Fred and George.

“We can rule out Hogwarts,” said Fred, thinking.

“Can’t really think of too many places where we could practice without the risk of being caught,” George put in.

“So,” Ron piped up suddenly, looking as if an idea came to him, “what we need is a place where not that many people go to, and the proprietors won’t ask questions.”

“Well that’s kind of obvious,” Hermione told him. “Where can we get—?”

“See you back at the house,” he interrupted, leaving the flat and going downstairs. Outside the window Harry saw Ron come out of the front entrance below, and Diapparate.

“Seems like Ronnie has things figured out on his own,” commented Fred impressively. “If there aren’t any objections we’d like to open our shop.”

Within minutes of opening up to customers again the shop was already starting to make well-earned gold again. After making sure that the twins would be joining the practice sessions (depending on Ron’s ability to find a place), Harry and Hermione headed back to Grimmauld Place.

Ron got back to the house about five minutes after Harry and Hermione did, looking both pleased and slightly guilty at the same time.

“The Hog’s Head has a cellar big enough for all of us to fit in,” he first said. “I stop by there when I’m on assignment, so I’ve gotten to know the place a little bit. All we have to do is sound proof the walls and bit, and nobody would be the wiser.”

“Why do you have to go there?” Harry asked, confused.

“How did you arrange it for our use?” said Hermione.

“The barman has connections with the Order,” he explained simply. “Didn’t ask too many questions when the Council reserved a room for me, and then I told him the Order needed the cellar for the next few days too.” Ron’s guilt showed a little more. “Luckily he didn’t see through the lie and gave it to me.”

“But why do you have to go there?” Harry asked again.
“We may be going against the Order’s wishes, Harry, but I’m still working for them. Sorry, I can only say that it’s a stop off point before I get to the real work.”

Already knowing that it was futile to probe any further, Harry said, “Fine,” and decided it was best to start to plan things out now that he had more people to work with.

When the next day arrived he now just had two days before the time came to break the law. Harry etched into his Galleon to meet at the Hog’s Head at seven in the afternoon, and set off with Ron and Hermione half an hour beforehand.

“I still find it kind of hard to believe that the barman would just give you the cellar, Ron,” said Hermione as they walked up the High Street.

“Will you just wait until you see the place before you criticize me?” Ron said. The three of them made a right toward the Hog’s Head, and as they approached the bar Ron lead them off the road and behind the building. Harry saw a door on the ground against the building. Ron opened it, and climbed down the stairs.

When Ron lit the torches with a flick of his wand, the slight annoyance Harry had with him disappeared. The cellar was surprisingly clean compared to the grimy pub above them with all the junk that must have usually filled it pushed to the side. So there was enough room for the D.A. to meet in rather comfortably. Harry would’ve preferred the Room of Requirement but he had no complaints, especially with the side room where Dempsher could be held after being taken—another worry of Harry’s.

“Very nice, Ron,” said Harry impressively. “This will do.”

Hermione whipped out her wand. “I’ll start sound proofing the walls and ceiling before everyone gets here.” Ron and Harry helped her, and when it got close to seven Ron went back outside that nobody strayed into the pub above by accident.

The D.A. members arrived individually or in packs, and came down the steps clearly not as impressed as they were with the Room of Requirement. But none of them said anything against it and waited for things to get started. After Ron came back down and closed the cellar door behind him, Harry counted and was pleased to see that everybody showed up without a blemish on anybody’s skin.

“Um, glad to see you’re all here,” Harry began. “Since this is taking place two nights from now it’d be best to review mostly Stunning and disarming spells tonight and tomorrow.”

“No Patronus?” asked Seamus, sounding slightly disappointed. “I was so close last time.”

“We’re going up against Aurors not dementors,” he told him. “Those that’ll be there in two nights will be inexperienced, but that doesn’t mean their pushovers. And I also want to practice Shield Charms.”

“No need for that,” said Fred dismissively. “We’ll supply you with all the Shield hats, scarves, and gloves you’ll need.”

Harry just stared at him. “And what would you say when the Ministry knocks on your door asking who you sold so many of those things too?”

Fred thought for a moment, and said, “Good point.”

From there Harry thought that it went rather smoothly. Clearly a year out of school has taken a toll on most of them and would need a lot of work. When Harry paired himself with Neville the Stunning Spell aimed at him was off, but it wasn’t just Neville. Harry was glad that he decided it was best to get practice in.

They mostly started to improve before Harry decided to call it a night and he told everybody to meet back there at the same time. Harry might have gone back to Grimmauld Place in better spirits if Ron hadn’t said he had to leave for the night again, and went into the pub with a wave. Though he was extremely tempted to follow Ron, Harry decided to spend his time thinking out the next day.

Back at the house he began to study the map some more, and along with some extra notes provided by Tonks, came up with a plan. But it would all depend on how organized they were, and the kind of resistance that the Aurors would put up.

Harry was met the next day with vast improvements from everybody in the D.A. He found it harder to find any mistakes being made, but still fixed very minor details and went over the plan of attack so that he knew everybody was as ready as possible.

“The first thing we’ll need is a diversion,” Harry started off just as determined as ever. “And when I say diversion, I mean a major, major diversion. We need a bit of information on them so that we can get a better idea of what we’re dealing with.” He lifted his eyes off the map on the table and looked around at his fellow D.A. members, who were all nervous and tense. All of them were wearing white ski masks scrunched up over their faces, listening intently. Harry had probably gone over the plan a dozen times already but he had to make sure that nobody was left in the dark. The operation was going to take place in a mere hour.

He turned to the twins. “Fred, George, did you get what I asked for?”

Fred held up a bag. “Yup. Pity, though, we won’t be able to market them after this.”

“Good, give one to Neville, Susan, and Terry…. And you’re sure that you’re okay with the other part I’m asking you to do?” asked Harry anxiously.

“It’s going to be rather uncomfortable living with it for the rest of our lives, Harry, but if we get what we need then it’ll be worth it,” George assured him, laughing grimly, dipping into the bag and giving them out.

Harry was about to say something along the lines of it being no laughing matter, but instead he said, “Thanks.” And from there Harry went over everything from the time the Aurors would be distracted to when they had Dempsher in custody.

His eyes then shot at Lavender, who by a stroke of luck was made by her parents to do some studying under a Healer. She was far from being fully qualified but she said she could handle injuries. “I still say that you should stay out of harms way so that you could—”

Lavender huffed impatiently. “I already told you that if anyone gets hurt I’d bring them back here immediately to spare anyone else the trouble. I was put in Gryffindor for a reason, you know.”

“Fine,” Harry said, taking off his glasses causing the room to become foggy. “Everyone know where to Apparate?”

“Yes,” they all chorused.

“Know what you’re doing, Hermione?” he asked.

Harry saw a blurry Hermione take out her wand. “I only know so much from the book Ron took from headquarters for me but here it goes.” She then rapped her wand on the side of Harry’s head. He blinked as he felt the sting, but when he opened them everything was clear.

Harry placed his glasses on the table, and forced his white mask over his face and everybody followed. “Move out in groups just like we planned.” He led the way out of the cellar and into the night.