Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Heart of Gold by the_evenstar

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: The wonderful characters of this story (namely, Rita and Gilderoy) and most of the names/settings belong to JK Rowling - I borrow them merely out of homage to her greatness.
The next two weeks were some of the happiest days of Rita’s life. Her article on Lockhart achieved monumental status, and it seemed as though everyone wanted to be the first to read this week’s Witch Weekly. Unsurprisingly, they sold more copies this week than they ever had before, and many excited witches were sending owls back, begging for subscriptions so they, too, could follow Gilderoy Lockhart on his adventures throughout Europe.

Back at the office, Rita was given charge of nearly every important assignment, and it went without saying that her job was now above Alana Delaney, who all of a sudden didn’t seem so important. Witches all across the country were now patiently waiting for the Sunday post to read Rita Skeeter’s next article. It seemed as though everything Rita had ever dreamed of was now coming true, and each day seemed better than the one before it. None better, however, than the day she was to meet Gilderoy in Bandon.

This time around, Rita knew where Gilderoy was staying, and he made sure to get a room equipped with a fireplace so Rita could travel by Floo powder rather than ride on that Muggle contraption. They had decided to meet at 5:30 in the evening so Rita could leave without anyone noticing. Even for a good reporter, knowing the news before it happened seemed a little unlikely. She could hardly concentrate at work, but it didn’t seem of much importance. Alana was reading and answering all the post they had received, which had come in multitudes since Rita’s big article, and Rita was reviewing the articles for the next paper, which just happened to be ready several days in advance. Luckily, the front page had not yet been assigned an article, but Rita had a good idea of what to put there. Mrs. Crockford was in a particularly excited mood, always fidgeting around the office, but getting nothing accomplished. She did not quite know what to do, being so renowned. By closing time, Rita had cleaned up her desk (now in her own real office) and was standing by the door, ready to leave.

“I’ll see you girls tomorrow!” Rita called, and closed the door behind her. As soon as she got home, she set her papers from work in a chair and grabbed a small item of luggage. Heading for the fireplace, she grabbed the vat of Floo powder, sprinkled it in the flames she had just ignited, and said rather loudly, “Number 3, Herrington Corner.” A dizzying sensation made her stomach feel as if it were slowly creeping up her esophagus. She bumped into several cold, stone walls before she emerged in the fireplace of Gilderoy’s room in Bandon.

“Ah, what a pleasant surprise!” Gilderoy said, his bright blue eyes now keenly alight.

“Yes, fancy meeting you here,” Rita replied. Gilderoy laughed heartily and flashed his million-dollar smile.

Rita suddenly became aware that her knees felt as if they could no longer support her own weight. She sat down and asked, “So what’s the story this time?”

“Getting down to business so soon? Why, I asked you to come a while early, hoping we could have a bit of fun before we get to work!”

“Well, I… er, that… that sounds great! What did you have in mind?”

“Nothing in particular. Bandon’s a lovely place, by day, at least. At night, well… that’s really why we’re here. No use worrying with that just yet. There’s this little café right on Main Street, it’s positively divine! I must show you…” And so it all started. For several hours they made their way around Bandon, a lovely old wizarding community, surrounded by the greenest farmland either one of them had ever seen. Three gift stores, a robe shop, and a café later, Gilderoy exclaimed, “Oh, I nearly forgot! Seeing as how I’ll be making the headlines tonight,” he winked slyly at Rita, “I thought I’d stop and get my hair done proper. You wouldn’t mind?”

“Oh, of course not!” Rita quickly responded. The particular salon at which they stopped was quite welcoming, and Rita sat down in the waiting area and pulled out a magazine with an extraordinary-looking blonde wizard on the front.

“Can I do anything for you, ma’am?” a middle-aged witch asked Rita, as her previous customer left.

Rita glanced down at the magazine she was holding. “Well, actually…”




“May I be the first to compliment you on your beautiful new look!” Gilderoy exclaimed as they exited the salon. “I must say, it really suits you.”

Rita had bleached her brown hair, and had it fixed in stiff golden curls, curiously resembling Ms. Alana Delaney’s. She blushed furiously and muttered, “Oh, thank you!” She looked down at her watch and back up at Gilderoy. “When do we need to go… wherever it is we’re going?”

“Oh, it shouldn’t be much longer. A certain Lauren Fredericks is going to banish this dreadful banshee that’s been haunting Bandon for years. Young girl with an unsightly harelip--Lauren, that is.” He pointed up towards a long since abandoned building sitting atop a lonely hill. “That’s where we’re headed.”

They slowly climbed the long, dirt road up to the large house. They were no more than fifty feet away from the house when they began to hear several odd noises. First, they heard what sounded like a very old, very heavy door slamming violently. What followed next was a scream so horrific that Rita, unthinking, grasped a hold of Gilderoy’s arm in fright. Gilderoy took her hand and Rita, suddenly aware of her actions, had to look away. No sooner had this happened than a horrible ghost shot out of a window on the top story and fled right over Gilderoy and Rita, deafening them with her cries. Gilderoy grabbed Rita and pulled her to the ground. “Close one,” he muttered, looking up at Rita. “You ready to go?”

“Sure.” She picked herself up off the ground and they headed towards the old mansion. Once they were close enough to the house to nearly see inside the dirty, broken windows, a young girl, roughly seventeen years of age, emerged from front door.

“Oi, there, miss!” Gilderoy called. “I suppose you banished that banshee by yourself?” The young girl looked up in a most startled fashion. “Oh, didn’t mean to frighten you. We were just passing by and heard some unpleasant noises coming from up this way.”

The young girl looked a slight bit more comfortable now. “You clearly don’t live here, then. It’s usually a lot worse. Then the beast makes her rounds through the town. It’s just awful.”

“Why hasn’t anyone bothered to banish her before?” Rita asked.

“Fear, I s’pose. Mum didn’t exactly want me comin’ up here by myself. Said she’s heard stories, but, I dunno. It wasn’t as bad as they all made it out to be.” She looked around, and added in a whisper, “You won’t mention anything to her, will you? I don’t think she’d be too pleased.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” Gilderoy promised. “She’ll never know.” And just at that moment, he pulled out his wand and shouted “Obliviate!”, momentarily stunning Lauren just as he had done to Ari. Rita was scribbling like mad on the parchment she had whipped out moments before.

“So, Mr. Lockhart, what would like to say for the presses?” Rita asked in her most official-sounding voice.

“Only that it’s been a pleasure,” Gilderoy added dryly, bursting out into laughter.

Rita took out her camera and said, “Time for a picture, Gilderoy. Where should you stand? Ah, never mind, don’t move. You look great where you are.”

“Don’t I?” Gilderoy said laughing. Rita giggled, and took the next picture that would carry the Witch Weekly even further up the ladder of success. Standing in front of the large abandoned home, Gilderoy looked, if possible, even more immaculate than usual. And there was that trademark smile… Rita wondered what was going wrong with her; this was the second time in one day she felt as if she were about to collapse.

Just at this moment, Lauren began to awake. Gilderoy rushed up beside her. “Oh good, you’re awake,” he quickly said.

“What’s going on?” Lauren asked. “Why am I up here?”

“I just banished that awful banshee. She made such a ruckus, why, you came up here to see what was going on. She flew right towards you as she left--and I don’t suppose she’ll be coming back--but you fainted, right on the spot. And you say you don’t remember it? Not a thing?”

“…No, no I’m afraid I don’t.”

“How about we take you home, dear? Maybe some rest will help you feel better,” Rita suggested. “You really shouldn’t be out this late!”

“Er… all right.” Lauren seemed to be racking her brain, trying to remember something, anything. Lauren let Gilderoy and Rita follow her home to ensure her safety, and when Lauren’s mother came to the door, her surprise doubled when she saw them both standing there.

“Lauren Nancy Fredericks, where have you--holy mandrakes! Is that… is that Gilderoy Lockhart?!” Mrs. Fredericks seemed to have lost all her anger.

Gilderoy pretended to look surprised, “Why, yes it is!”

“What are you doing here? Not that I mind, I mean…”

“Just got rid of that terrible banshee.” Gilderoy nodded in the direction of the old mansion. “Your daughter here came to see what was happening, and passed out in her fright. Lucky I was able to revive her.”

“My daughter, revived by Gilderoy Lockhart. Why, I never…”

“Well, it was a pleasure meeting you, ma’am,” Gilderoy turned with Rita to walk away, but they were both stopped by Mrs. Fredericks’ sudden cry.

“Wait! Wait! Don’t leave just yet… ooohh, where could I have put it? …just my luck to have misplaced it, I had it just this morning… oh, here it is!” She emerged from the house with a newspaper in her hand. Unfolding the paper, she revealed Rita’s article from Witch Weekly only two weeks earlier. “You wouldn’t mind to, er… to sign this for me?”

Gilderoy’s eyes brightened and he gave a small start; he looked positively delighted. “Why, I’d love to!” He took the paper and signed his name in a very curly signature right beneath his picture, which waved furiously out at the lot of them.

Mrs. Fredericks looked as if she were going to explode with excitement. “Thank you so much, Mr. Lockhart! Thank you!”

“A pleasure,” Gilderoy called as he and Rita left the Fredericks’ home and walked back to the inn.

“Well, what do you make of that?” Gilderoy asked once they were back at Kingsley’s. “We’re going two for two--that’s not bad! And things smoothed over nicely with Lauren’s mother, didn’t they?”

“Oh, yes,” Rita responded. “I couldn’t imagine how this could get any better!”

“Oh, couldn’t you?” Gilderoy asked with the wink of his eye.

“I, er… how… what do you mean?” Rita stumbled.

“Rita, you are an incredible reporter. And what’s more, you are a positively charming woman.” Rita started fixedly at her feet. “Quite frankly, I don’t believe I’ve ever met anyone quite like you.”

For once in her life, Rita was quite at a loss for words. Furthermore, she wasn’t entirely sure she would have been able to speak had she wanted to. What exactly was Gilderoy getting at? He surely couldn’t mean… A rush of thoughts mixed with irrational fears and momentary panic swirled around inside Rita’s head, causing a great deal of confusion. This was just all too much. “I… I’ll see you, later I guess, whenever… you need to see me. ‘Bye.” Rita sincerely hoped she hadn’t sounded offended, but there was little more she could do at the moment.




Aimlessly walking around the streets for a while, Rita soon began to wonder how she was to get home. She had planned on traveling by Floo powder through Gilderoy’s fireplace, but she could not seem to make herself go back to Kingsley’s Inn. She simply could not face Gilderoy this soon. Then the idea struck her, and she took off for the home of Lauren Fredericks, hoping that they had not yet gone to sleep.

As the warm cottage came into view, Rita noticed several lights still on in the house, and began to walk a little faster. Once she got to the door, she knocked politely and had only to wait for a few brief moments. “Hello,” Mrs. Fredericks said upon opening the door. “You… you look very familiar…”

“Yes, ma’am, I met you just over an hour ago. With Gilderoy Lockhart?”

“Oh, yes, yes! How could I forget? And how may I be of help?”

“Actually, I was wondering if I could… er, use your fireplace. See, I’ve got to be back in London for work tomorrow, and--”

“Oh, don’t say another word! Just come right in here and follow me.” Mrs. Fredericks led Rita through several rather cramped rooms until before them stood a large, grand fireplace. “So, you know Mr. Lockhart fairly well?” Mrs. Fredericks added curiously.

“I, er… I suppose you could say that. Er, where do you keep--”

“You two aren’t… together, are you? Because what a lovely pair you two would make!” Mrs. Fredericks looked as though she had just uncovered an exclusive bit of information.

Rita, quick to dismiss the idea, blushed and said, “Er, no, ma’am. I’m just a reporter, and reporters gather news. Now, where do you keep your Floo powder?”

“Oh, yes! The Floo powder… it’s right here darling.” Mrs. Fredericks handed Rita a small, decorative vase. “But what a shame, really! About you and Mr. Lockhart… Do keep me informed, won’t you? Oh, I suppose a bit of information like that would have to be in the newspapers, don’t you believe?” Mrs. Fredericks continued to babble as Rita grabbed the Floo powder, threw it into the flames, shouting “Hollyberry Manor!” and disappearing from the cluttered den of the Fredericks.

She stumbled out of the fireplace into her own home again, and how nice it was to be alone. Rita realized that she had left her things at Gilderoy’s room at Kingsley’s, but it was just a few papers and such. She knew she would have to talk to him again; there was no avoiding it. Not tomorrow, Rita thought. Please not tomorrow. I have so much to think about… But rather than consider her emotions, Rita, like the good reporter she was, sat down and began to write the next front page article on Gilderoy Lockhart.




Rita awoke the next morning to the sound of a frantic beating outside her bedroom window.

With only a few hours of sleep, it took her a few moments to realize what was going on. She turned to her window and saw a gorgeous snowy-white owl with a piece of parchment attached to his leg. Rita did not recognize the owl, but she opened the window and the owl perched upon her arm, patiently waiting for her to remove the parchment. She untied the letter and realized with a jolt who it was from.

“Ms. Rita Skeeter,
I sincerely apologize for my assertive behaviour. I earnestly hope that you are not angry with me. I meant nothing by it. Also, I believe you left a few of your belongings here. Would you like to arrange a time for me to bring them to you? I look forward to hearing from you.

Forever Yours,
Gilderoy Lockhart”



Rita stared fixedly at the letter she had just received. “I meant nothing by it…” Her heart dropped into her stomach as her eyes raced over the letter once more. What does he mean, he meant nothing by it? she began to wonder. All of a sudden, Rita folded up the parchment and placed it among her papers to bring to work. She would have to write him back later.

Quickly forgetting the previous night’s events, Rita was on her way to work within a moment’s time. Rita imagined the look on Mrs. Crockford’s face when she saw her article. Even better, Rita thought, would be Alana’s reaction.

Rita’s expectations were nothing short of reality. Mrs. Crockford jumped from her seat and embraced Rita, while Alana looked on in amazement, having just read the article. “How did you know about this?” Alana asked disgustedly.

“A good reporter finds her own stories,” Rita said with a sarcastic smile. “Simply in the right place at the right time, you know?”

Alana narrowed her eyes, and then smiled spitefully. “I like your hair, Rita,” she sarcastically commented, twisting her own blonde curls around her finger.

“Thanks!” Rita replied smiling. “Gilderoy thought it rather attractive, himself.” Alana mumbled and traipsed back to her own broom closet of an office.




The Witch Weekly ran off the presses as scheduled, heralding the large photograph of a gleaming Gilderoy Lockhart. As if the witches of Britain had held their breath in waiting the past two weeks, the animated crowd of Lockhart’s followers nearly erupted with excitement. Owls were bombarding the windows of the Witch Weekly headquarters, and Mrs. Crockford was muttering about having to hire more staff just to answer the post. Looking down on the world from the epitome of her dreams, Rita found herself once again in the spotlight. Skeeter was slowly becoming as much of a household name as Lockhart himself, and Rita had even managed to steal the front page of a lesser newspaper also headquartered in London. A small knock on the office door soon shook her from her daydreams.

“Hello, ma’am, is Rita Skeeter in today?” The front door had opened and a stranger walked in.

“Oh yes, sir, she’s--” Mrs. Crockford suddenly looked up from her files and gasped. “Rita! You’ve a visitor!” she called down the hall. Turning to her guest, she breathlessly replied, “Oh, Mr. Lockhart! What a pleasant surprise! I--oh my, I wasn’t expecting…”

“Who is it?” Rita called as she walked into the front office. Upon entering the room, she immediately noticed Gilderoy--he was rather hard to miss--and stared at her feet. “Oh… it’s you.” She forced a smile.

But Gilderoy hadn’t noticed. He was clearly enjoying the attention of Mrs. Crockford, who was positively beside herself in excitement. “I only need to speak with Rita for a moment, if you don’t mind,” he said to Mrs. Crockford.

“Oh no! You go right ahead!” she answered, breathless and muttering to herself as he left.

Once inside Rita’s office, she began to close the door, then thought better of it and left it open. “What was it you wanted?” she asked rather briskly.

“You just left this at Kingsley’s last night. You hadn’t yet replied to my letter, so I thought I’d just come and pay you a visit.” He handed Rita her papers, and then began wringing his hands and staring at his feet. He looked up at Rita and continued, “I do hope you’re not mad at me. You left in such a hurry, I--”

“Don’t worry about it, Gilderoy,” Rita said, flashing a genuine smile. How on earth could I stay mad at him? she thought to herself. “And thanks for bringing my papers. That was awfully thoughtful of you.”

“Not a problem!” Gilderoy replied with renewed enthusiasm. He clasped his hands behind his back and began rocking on his feet. “I wonder if you wouldn’t care to meet me in Transylvania next week. They’ve a vampire there, and, well… you know what to do.” He cocked his head to the side slightly. “Would you…?”

Rita hesitated, but, looking up at Gilderoy, she couldn’t say no. “I’d love to,” she replied.

“Great!” Gilderoy clapped his hands together. “I’ll meet you next week then. I’ll send you an owl once I reserve a place down there, give you specific time and all, and… I’ll see you shortly!”

“Sounds wonderful,” Rita said dreamily. Why was I ever even upset? she wondered. “Here, I’ll see you to the door.”

Rita led Gilderoy out of her office. Mrs. Crockford looked up and smiled gaily. “You have a lovely day, Mr. Lockhart!”

“And you as well,” Gilderoy said on his way to the door. Just at that moment, Alana burst in the front door, nearly bowling over Gilderoy.

“Oh, my dear! I’m dreadfully sorry about that!” Gilderoy exclaimed.

“Don’t worry a--” Alana said crossly, and then looked up and noticed who she had run into. “Well,” she said, smiling, “I don’t believe we’ve met before?”

Gilderoy stuck out his hand. “Gilderoy Lockhart, ma’am. And you are…”

“Alana Delaney,” she said, taking his hand in her own. “I work with Rita. She might have mentioned me before…”

“Er, no, I don’t believe she has. A pleasure meeting you, though!” Gilderoy turned around as he walked out the door. “’Bye, Rita!”

Rita waved playfully in response. As Alana walked past her, Rita whispered malevolently, “You don’t think I’d really talk about you, do you?” Alana glared at Rita with the usual contemptible stare. Rita couldn’t help but laugh.




Several days had passed, and Rita was up late again, working on another assignment. She glanced over at the clock mounted on the wall. It read two o’clock in the morning. Rita groaned and threw her papers aside. She couldn’t concentrate on these mundane articles when she still had not heard from Gilderoy, and was supposed to meet in two days. As if in answer to her thoughts, she heard a slight tapping at her window. Rita looked over her shoulder and saw the same beautiful, snowy owl that had visited her roughly a week earlier. She hurriedly opened the window and let the bird inside. It promptly found its place on Rita’s arm, waiting for her to remove the letter. She opened the letter and read,

“Dear Rita,
I am terribly sorry that I could not get back to you sooner. Seems that dreadful vampire is making quite a fuss, but we’ll discuss that later. I have found a place to stay--17 Hilden Place. It’s quite nice; you might want to visit a while before we get to work on your story. There’s a lovely tavern on the ground floor. Meet me there, say, four o’clock, Friday afternoon? I’ll look forward to seeing you!

Forever yours,
Gilderoy Lockhart”


Rita flushed with excitement. Quickly pulling out her quill and parchment, she set straight to work writing Gilderoy back. Despite the sudden rush of emotion at catching sight of Gilderoy’s own handwriting, Rita found it difficult to transcribe a single word of what she wanted to say. Compromising these feelings with a simple RSVP, she paused to read her letter before sending it away,

“Dear Gilderoy,
I would be delighted to see you on Friday. I can’t wait!

Love always,
Rita Skeeter”


If only Alana could see me now… Rita thought haughtily as she tied her message to Gilderoy’s owl. Climbing into bed, she glanced over at her unfinished work, and decided that it could wait until morning.