Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

First Kiss by PadfootBaby

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A three-part story. This is my very first romance fic, so please let me know how I do! Hope you like it!!!
“There’s going to be another school Ball this year.”

Those were the first words out of Sirius Black’s mouth as he bounded into the Gryffindor common room, where James Potter was struggling to finish his Potions homework.

“Great,” he said distractedly. He stuck the end of his quill in his mouth and frowned, poring over what he’d written. The primary use of the bezoar is as an antidote to most poisons that...

Sirius dropped into a chair opposite his best friend and raised an eyebrow. “So?”

“So what?” James asked. He rolled up the parchment, slamming his copy of Advanced Potion-Making shut. “Finished!” he said, triumphantly.

“Did you even hear what I just said?” Sirius asked.

James had, but didn’t want to get into the subject. He averted his eyes and pretended he hadn’t heard. “Huh?”

“There’s going to be another school Ball,” Sirius repeated loudly. “Are you finally going to pluck up the nerve to ask Lily this time?”

“Oh,” James said. “Erm...” He quickly tried to change the subject. “Who’re you going with?”

Sirius sighed. “Come on, Prongs, we’ve been through this before. Several times, in fact. We all know you like her, just ask her out and get it over! What have you got to lose?”

“Well, if she says no, my reputation, for one,” James said dryly. “And my pride. If she says no, I’ll make a complete fool of myself. I won’t be able to look her in the face for months, and you know she’d rub it in.”

“Yes, well, I’d rub it in too.” Sirius grinned.

“Thanks a lot, friend.” James piled up his books and slumped back in his chair. He had a look of dejection on his face as he said, “Fine. I suppose you’re right. I’ll ask her, but if she rubs my face in it, you’ll live to regret it. I might as well just start packing now.”

“Excellent,” Sirius said, standing briskly. In contrast to James, he looked positively gleeful. “Really excellent. Let us know how it works out!” He strode to the portrait hole, then paused and glanced back. He grinned again at James. “Lighten up, Prongs! We’ll be here for you when she says no. And if you’re honestly interested, I’ve already got a date. I’m going with Natalie Frith.”

“That Hufflepuff girl?”

“Yeah...” A devilish grin suddenly lit Sirius’s face, and he said, “Wonder who Snivelly’s going with?”

James snorted. “Padfoot, I’ll give you ten galleons if he even has a date. Which he doesn’t. Who’d want to go with a slimeball like Snivellus Snape?”

Sirius exploded with his bark-like laughter. “No... The question is, who in their right mind?

James mockingly inclined his head to Sirius. “True.”

Sirius walked back out of the common room. Over his shoulder, just before he disappeared from James’s line of vision, he called, “See you later... And don’t forget to ask Lily, because I sure won’t!”

James sat there for a moment after Sirius had gone. Then he stood with a sigh. Might as well get it over with, he thought. Then he walked out after his friend to find Lily.




After a couple hours of wandering unsuccessfully, James finally gave up and headed back toward the Gryffindor common room. A few corridors away, however, he suddenly spotted Lily Evans chatting with two friends inside a small classroom. James gulped. He didn’t want to do this, but at the same time he did. And he especially didn’t want to be ridiculed by Sirius upon his return. Hardening his resolve, he walked slowly into the room.

Seeing him, one of Lily’s friends whispered something to the other, making them both break out in a fit of giggles. Lily quickly spun around and glared fiercely at James. He stumbled, then licked his dry lips and went up to Lily, who said hostilely, “What do you want, Potter?”

James shifted uncomfortably. “Er ” Evans... Lily. I was just wondering... um... Can I talk to you alone?”

Her friends tittered. Lily directed her glare onto them. They retreated to a safe corner to gossip, glancing at Lily and James every few minutes and giggling. Lily turned back to James and put her hands on her hips, giving him a look that clearly meant, “Well?”

His mouth was suddenly dry again. As he swallowed, a thought flitted through his head: You can just turn around and leave right now... It’s still not too late to go back... But if he turned tail and ran, like the coward he was, he’d never hear the end of it. Sirius, Remus, and Peter ” none of them would give him any mercy. They’d taunt him for the rest of his life, regardless of what he said or did to make up for it. And so would she...

James gritted his teeth, then felt himself stupidly blurt, “Evans... D’you wanna go to the Ball with me this year? I mean...”

He said this all very quickly. When he’d finished, Lily had a stunned look on her face. She opened her mouth several times, wordlessly. The question had obviously been the last thing she was expecting.

James said quickly, “Okay... I understand...” He felt relieved. She was so obviously going to say no. Now the only thing he’d have to endure would be his friends’ teasing...

Lily blinked, then, with an unnaturally high-pitched voice, said, “Wait ” Go with... With you? This year? I, um... Hang on...”

Her face flushed and she ran back to her friends. They huddled together in the corner, whispering hurriedly. One of the girls, glancing in James’s direction, let out a whoop and cackled, “I knew it!” Lily shushed her, and they continued to confer amongst themselves.

James stood there uncomfortably. This had completely caught him off-guard. He’d expected her to just come out and refuse right away. Now, though, he was faced with the possibility of her saying yes! That would almost be worse than a direct putdown... His friends would never let up...

Lily came back, a strange look in her eyes. “Well, um... Yes!” she said. “Okay... Sure, I’ll go with you... I’d love to! Not that this is anything permanent, you understand,” she said quickly. “I’ve just got nothing else better... Okay, thanks, Potter.”

“Call me James,” James said automatically. He’d gotten this far, unfortunately; might as well take the plunge.

Lily hesitated, then smiled, that radiant, heartfelt smile that James had always admired. “Alright... James. Then I guess I’ll be seeing you.” She headed out the door, her giggling friends following after.

“Okay... See you there, Evans!” James called. Wait... That didn’t sound quite right...

She turned back, wearing a grin. “Call me Lily.” She glanced at him once more. There was an expression on her face that James couldn’t read. Then she fled. Her friends ran to catch up, pelting her with nosy questions and laughter.

Well, you’ve done it, James, a little voice murmured to him. Padfoot can’t call you a wimp now. You actually got her to go out with you! They won’t be able to rub it in your face this time... Evans said yes!

But it wasn’t Evans who’d said it... She was now...

“Lily,” James whispered to the empty classroom.