Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Paranoia by Khrys

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Author’s Note: J.K. Rowling created the world in which I work. Everything Harry is hers alone.
“Please calm down.” The pleading voice came from the darkness of the room.

The harsh, flickering light from a candle, burst into the room illuminating the speaker. “Really, Molly, we need to discuss this rationally.” Arthur spoke quietly but firmly.

“Arthur, you saw how he looked at her,” she insisted, her voice high with panic.

“Molly, calm down this instant.” This was a side of Arthur that few ever saw. Normally mild mannered, his voice was raised and harsh. He rarely raised his voice in front of his children, preferring to leave the disciplining to Molly. “Hysterics won’t help.” He leaned across the rumpled sheets to caress Molly’s arm. Slowly he pulled her close to him, shortening the distance between them. He dipped his head and gave her a gentle kiss on the lips. “Tell me what is bothering you.”

“I think that Ron and Hermione are together.”

“I think that’s pretty obvious,” Arthur sighed. I know where this is going.

“Harry and Ginny seem to be getting close too.” Closer than I would like.

“They do seem to be happy together,” he stated carefully.

“How happy do you think they are together?” Molly asked anxiously. They aren’t ready for that yet.

Knowing what she meant when she asked about their happiness, Arthur hesitated to answer. “Molly,” Arthur pleaded. “They are young adults. They deserve our respect and our trust. You know that Harry would never do anything to hurt Ginny.” In other words, I have no idea if they are having sex.

“What about Ron?” Molly pouted petulantly. “He’s not prepared.” They’re probably doing it too.

“Hermione is a smart girl,” Arthur pointed out fondly. “She will figure out what to do when the time is right.” If nothing else, she’ll figure out some sort of a conception blocking charm.

“What happens if they think the time is right now?” Molly wailed. “My babies are too young to be having…They’re just too young.”

“Molly, you must be rational about this. Let’s go over what we know before we jump to any conclusions. Tell me what you know about Ron and Hermione. Be honest.” Maybe you’ll see the truth in your own words.

“They fight like cats and dogs,” she offered. “He is stubborn and pigheaded. She is bossy and headstrong. They both think that they know what is right for the other. Ron complains about Hermione’s bossiness, but he secretly is thrilled that she pays enough attention to boss him around. Hermione chooses to point out Ron’s flaws so that he will have an excuse to talk to her. Ron is quick to act, while Hermione is quick to think. Ron’s strength lies in his ability to plan, but his hot temper can cause him to make hasty decisions. Hermione’s strength lies in her thirst for knowledge, but she goes through life with blinders that block out much that life has to offer her. Ron will open her eyes to the wonders of life, and she will force him to slow down to enjoy them. They really are a perfect match.”

When she was finished, Molly seemed surprised at her own evaluation of the couple. She shook her head wistfully. They are ready for whatever life offers them. I guess I’m the one who isn’t ready. But, Ginny, she’s too young.

Arthur, noticing his wife’s silence and the look of dawning comprehension on her face, snuggled close to her. “You were saying?”

“Fine,” Molly snapped. “I’m wrong. Ron isn’t my little baby anymore, but Ginny is. There’s nothing you can say to make me change my mind.” She pulled away and folded her arms over her chest defiantly, as if daring him to prove her wrong.

Arthur was used to his wife’s challenges and he remained silent. There’s nothing more I enjoy than fighting a losing battle.

“I didn’t think you would try,” she smirked. “You don’t think they’re old enough either.” Ha!

“You’re right, I don’t think Ginny is old enough,” he admitted. “I still think that it is their decision to make. I will support them, no matter what they choose to do.”

“What?” Molly barked. “How can you support something you don’t agree with?” Have you gone off your rocker? What kind of a nutter…

“You know better than anyone does, that if you push them in one direction, they will push back in the opposite direction with twice as much force. Then where will they be? I’ll tell you. In the same position we were in.” He chuckled as he remembered how Molly’s parents had tried to keep them apart. We showed them, didn’t we?

He saw Molly’s lips curling into a small smile. Arthur returned her smile with one of his own. “Do you remember the first thing we did after your parents forbade us to see each other?”

“How is that relevant?” Molly retorted, her cheeks coloring at the memory. “Our situation was completely different.” It isn’t the same. I refuse to think of Harry and Ginny doing what we did.

“How was it that different?” Arthur exclaimed. “We were both young and we were madly in love. We knew your parents were wrong. When they separated us, we did what we thought was best for us. Didn’t we?” Think about it, Molly.

“Yes,” she admitted ruefully. “We got married. I hardly think that it’s the same. After all, we’re still happily married. We have survived through everything, good and bad. We have persevered through a war. We have raised seven wonderful kids. We have managed to do all of that without my parent’s money.” We had sex. We got pregnant. I don’t want that for Harry and Ginny. Their life will be so much easier if they wait.

“What makes you think that Harry and Ginny don’t share the same kind of love?” Arthur questioned. I think that they’re pretty serious about one another. Ginny’s been in love with him since she first saw him at Platform 9 ¾.

“I’m not saying that they don’t,” she stammered. “I just that Ginny is too young to know if she loves Harry, in the ‘til death do us part sense.” What am I going to do if they want to get married? I wouldn’t even know what to say.

“Are you forgetting that you were her age when we got married?” he gently reminded. Oh to be young again, especially in love for the first time.

“Are you forgetting that Bill came along less than a year later?” Molly snapped. “Do you want that for Ginny?” Can you imagine how difficult her life will be?

“How could you imply that I have forgotten how difficult things were in the beginning?” Arthur chided. “I know that we haven’t had the easiest road. Just like I know that my decisions have affected our family. Don’t you think I wish I could give my family everything that Malfoy has given his? Would you prefer that I had taken the easy way out like so many others?”

“How can you say those words, Arthur,” Molly roared. “You know I love you just as you are. Things haven’t always been easy, I agree, but I think that they have made us stronger. They’ve made our family stronger.”

“The why aren’t you willing to offer Harry and Ginny that chance?” Arthur replied, his voice even and soothing.

“I just don’t want to see any of them hurt,” Molly whined.

“We have done an impressive job raising our children. Bill has a wonderful job and is marrying the woman he loves. Charlie is following his dream and getting paid well for it. Percy…well, Percy is following his dreams too. Fred and George are running a successful business, one that will lift the spirits of the people during these dark times. Ron couldn’t do much better than someone like Hermione. They're a good match, you even admitted that yourself. He and Ginny both are successful in school and play Quidditch as well as either of your brothers could. We have done all that we can do to protect them. They are old enough to make their own decisions, and their own mistakes. We must allow them take the leap, we can only be there for them should they fall.”

Smiling softly, Molly snuggled into Arthur’s chest. “How did you get to be so smart, Mr. Weasley?” she mumbled.

“I learned from the best, Mrs. Weasley,” he joked, planting a gentle kiss on the top of her head.

“Good night, my love,” Molly giggled. She wriggled around until she was lying on her side, comfortably resting against her husband’s chest with her arm tossed over his stomach.

“Good night, Mollywobbles,” he drawled, rubbing his wife’s back suggestively.