Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

In My Heart by Lady Wolf

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
In My Heart



The baby wailed loudly, nearly as loudly as the storm that raged outside. Angry forks of lightning slashed through the night sky, accompanied by the deafening blast of thunder. Rain pounded against the windows, rivaling the tears of the restless baby boy.

Harry Potter, a five-month old baby, screamed his tiny lungs out while his godfather tried in vain to comfort him. Normally quite handsome, a young Sirius Black paced the whole of the nursery, his velvety black hair in disarray, deep circles beneath his eyes. He wondered vaguely whether this would be how he would die - facedown in a nursery with a crying baby screaming in his ear.

Lily and James, the boy’s parents, had gone away for the weekend. They hadn’t been out alone together since before Harry was born, and Remus and Sirius insisted they go on vacation, also volunteering to watch the little Marauder until his parents returned.

It was currently 1:23 AM, their first day alone with Harry. Remus had miraculously fallen asleep hours ago. Sirius, however, had been awake the entire night, mentally cursing his werewolf companion for being able to sleep through the commotion of a raging storm and a screaming infant. He yawned widely and gave a small bark of laughter when the vision of Remus hogtied in Snape’s bedroom came to him; revenge would be sweet. The vision was interrupted at once by a fresh wave of sobs that rang through Sirius’ head and caused him to grit his teeth.

“Come on, Harry,” Sirius muttered in forced calm, “please go to sleep.”

Harry’s response was to wail loudly in his godfather’s ear.

Sirius winced. He had tried everything to quiet the boy; fed him, changed him (though that was hardly necessary), told him a story, performed a humorous puppet show starring one of James’ dirty socks and Sirius’ hand. Nothing had worked. The black-haired man was running low on ideas. Would the baby cry all night? Sirius didn’t doubt it. Unless...

Come stop your crying, / it will be all right,” Sirius sang. He had just recalled a song he once heard on a Muggle radio. Lily had lulled her son into a peaceful sleep with that song before. Perhaps it would work again.

Harry’s cries continued, yet Sirius sung on, praying that it would soothe the green-eyed baby into slumber. “Just take my hand, / hold it tight.” Gingerly he took hold of Harry’s hand, completely aware of how soft and tiny it was in his own rougher one.

Sirius rested his chin carefully alongside the baby’s soft cheek. “I will protect you, / from all around you. / I will be here, / don’t you cry.” His mouth curved into a smile, lips brushing against the top of his godson’s delicate head.

For one so small, / you seem so strong. / My arms will hold you, / keep you safe and warm.” Harry’s cries began to cease, and Sirius hugged him closer, starting a slow dance around the nursery.

This bond between us,” the man continued, his voice like warm honey, echoing off the walls, “cannot be broken. / I will be here, / don’t you cry.”

Though Harry’s cries had ceased, and the storm outside was beginning to calm, Sirius was oblivious to the soft breathing of his friend Remus outside in the hall. Remus smiled, peering through a small crack in the doorway. He remembered how neglected his companion felt when James told Sirius he was marrying Lily; Sirius thought he was losing his best friend. Quite the contrary, Padfoot, thought Remus; you’ve gained something much greater.

Sirius Black continued his lone dance around the room; a drowsy baby tucked safely in his arms. Ah, little Marauder, I do believe I am winning this little battle you started.

A few moments passed, and he continued his song.

“’Cause you’ll be in heart. / Yes, you’ll be in my heart. / From this day on, / now and forever more. / You’ll be in my heart. / No matter what they say. / You’ll be in my heart, always.

From Remus’ position behind the door, he could just observe that the baby had at last closed his eyes. The werewolf dared not disturb them, however. He smiled, watching the somnolent couple continue their waltz. Padfoot, my friend, it seems you were wrong; you are a magnificent godfather. It seems a shame you must doubt yourself.

As quietly as he could, Sirius peered over the baby’s head to see the absence of the bright green orbs. Harry Potter had finally drifted into sleep. At last, thought Sirius.

And yet Mr. Black continued to circle the nursery, lost in his own thoughts. He lifted a hand and began to rub Harry’s back in small, gentle circles. He could feel the child’s tiny heartbeat, thumping softly against his own chest, and he sighed.

So this is what life is about, he thought dreamily. Once again he placed a soft kiss on his tiny godson’s head. He gazed out the window at the calm night sky and smiled.

Why can’t they understand / the way we feel,” he continued softly. “They just don’t trust / what they can’t explain. / I know we’re different, / but deep inside us / we’re not that different at all.”

Reluctantly Sirius walked over to Harry’s crib and lowered the infant down, pulling a blanket over his bare toes and up to his waist.

With that, Remus turned and went back to his room to get a few more hours of sleep. As he pulled off his robe, he chuckled, remembering the look of yearning on his friend’s face. A magnificent godfather indeed...

Sirius, though physically and mentally exhausted, remained in the nursery, staring down at his godson.

Don’t listen to them, / ‘cause what do they know. / We need each other / to have, to hold. / They’ll see in time, / I know...” The last lines were whispered as the grey-eyed man stared distantly out the window at the starry sky...


Ten years later...

A man with scraggily black hair sat leaning against a wall of Azkaban prison. His eyes, once a bright, twinkling grey, were now empty of emotion. His body, once strong, agile, was now withered and malnourished. His visage, once sculpted to near masculine perfection, was now shrunken and pale.

Sirius Black stared out the barred window at the stars. A light rain was falling, and Sirius closed his eyes, longing to feel the cool, wet drops against his face.

But that would not happen.

When destiny calls you, / you must be strong. / I may not be with you, / but you’ve got to hold on. / They’ll see in time, / I know. / We’ll show them together,” he whispered hoarsely.

A black-cloaked figure floated up to his cell door, and Sirius lifted his eyes to gaze upon the merciless creature...


Elsewhere...

Remus Lupin studied the sky, stars winking at him through a cloud of light rainfall, almost taunting him. It was the night of his transformation, the full moon teasing him, lurking behind the clouds.

Lupin’s body was tense, expectant. He swallowed, and sang quietly to himself. “’Cause you’ll be in my heart, / Yes, you’ll be in my heart. / From this day on, / now and forever more.”

Moments later a mournful howl broke the silence of the night...


Azkaban...

Sirius looked up into the “face” of the dementor, and his voice cracked, intent on finishing his song. “Oh, you’ll be in my heart. / No matter what they say. / You’ll be in my heart... / Always...”

The dementor drew a long, rattling breath...


Privet Drive...

In the darkness of the cupboard beneath the stairs, Harry Potter slept soundly, a familiar melody dancing through his head.


Fin.