Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

After the funeral by bluebottle

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The next chapter shows Sirius face to face with his mother. And also the appearance of another unexpected visitor.
Disclaimer: All that you find familiar are Ms Rowling's.
The wind was blowing in gusts, chilling the dark mourners to the bones. The autumn frost crunched as a few stragglers walked up towards the gathering around the coffin, intent on consoling the bereaved widow and her son standing beside her. There was a terrifying sobriety surrounding the gathering, not because everyone was terribly upset, more so because most of the gatherers wore dignified somberness as tightly wrapped as the black cloaks around them. As it quietly began to drizzle, most of the mourners began walking back to the gate of the cemetery from where they apparated with muffled pops.





The tall widow surrounded by her nearest friends walked at a slower pace, discussing in a low and haughty voice the intricacies of funeral rites with two elderly men on her sides, the one on the right holding a large umbrella over her head. Through the dark veil covering her face, one could discern her sharp grey eyes following her son who had separated himself from the crowd and was in fact walking towards the east of the cemetery away from the gate.However, decorum, the drizzle, and slight twinge of arthritis in her knees made it difficult for her to follow him. Sensing her unease, the gentleman on her left spoke in a soothing voice, “He’s eighteen, Eleanor, you have to let him go. And a fine boy he’s turned out to be, a fine boy.”





“I’ve never had a complaint about him, never.He makes the family name proud,” the widow responded with pride.





“Ah yes, he upholds the glory of the noble house of the Black, our Regulus.”





“He often speaks highly of this gifted wizard, the one who’s calling for purity in the magic world these days. I would be proud if he joins his forces.”





“You should talk to Lucius Malfoy then, Abraxas Malfoy’s son,” wheezed the gentleman holding the umbrella. “I heard Rodolphus say that he is in Lord Voldemort’s inner circles.”





In the meantime, Regulus Black had almost reached the far end of the cemetery. While standing near the grave after the coffin had been lowered, he had turned to look at the gate and had seen a tall man enter the graveyard. Instead of coming up to join them, he had moved further down the road and had stood straight below a tree in the east. The dark empty branches did not hide him at all and his stance and stature looked somewhat familiar to Regulus. After waiting all through the service for the man to come up, he decided to ignore his presence. However after the service when the guests started departing, his legs seem to lead him up to the man still standing beneath the tree. As he moved closer Regulus realized that he had indeed recognized the man. Although like all the other mourners this man was wearing a heavy black cloak with the hood up, he could almost visualize the lazy yet elegant flop of ebony black hair falling into luminous grey blazing eyes, which both of them had inherited from their mother.





Standing a couple of yards away from the man Regulus spoke coldly, “Leave.Now.You are not wanted here.”





Through the slit in the hood, Regulus could barely make out his face.The young man, for Regulus knew he was exactly two years older than him, smiled at him, showing a set of perfectly white teeth.





“Hello Regulus. As well mannered as ever I see.”





“Why have you come? Do you want trouble?”





“Trouble for whom, little brother? You think I’m afraid of these obsessive pure blood dodos?”





“If mother sees you....”





“This is not the Black Mansion, Regulus. I have every right to come to a wizard’s cemetery if I want to!” the other man interrupted in a louder voice.





“Suit yourself. For a while I’d forgotten you thrive on scenes. Where are your blood traitor sidekicks? Too scared to come? Couldn’t stop you from coming, could they?”





“He was also my father, you know.”





“And you’re really sorry he’s dead.” Sarcasm dripped from Regulus’ voice.





“No, I can’t really say that. Although I should be. He was a wise man in some ways. Misguided though. Anyway, do you really think anyone here is actually sorry for him? Least of all our dear mother?”





“What do you know? And when did you care?”





“They never cared either, Regulus.”





The drizzle decreased slightly. Regulus looked over his shoulder and could make out a group of people approaching them slowly. With the mist slowly spreading they looked like a group of dementers from afar. Regulus shivered as an uncanny feeling of foreboding pervaded him. He turned back towards his brother and spoke in an exasperated whisper, “Look Sirius, why did you come?”





“I came to warn you Regulus. Our mother is a fool. Don’t join the death eaters.”





“Stay out of my business.” Regulus snarled angrily, suddenly more tensed than ever. “What rights have you to say anything about me?”