Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

True Love Waits by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: *Hangs head in shame at delay*
October



"Hey, Ron!" Harry called across their living room. All those in the Auror training program had been assigned to dorm rooms on campus. At the moment, Harry and Ron's flat was cluttered with dirty clothes, old pizza boxes, and empty butterbeer bottles.



"What?" Ron yelled from the kitchen.



"Don't you think we should tidy up a little before Hermione gets here?"



"Tidy up what?" asked Ron, sticking his head out the door.



Harry looked pointedly at the mess around him and Ron shrugged. "It's not that bad."



"Not that bad?" Harry laughed. "Ron, something could have died in here and we would never notice."



"I think it's okay," said Ron. "Hermione won't be here that long, anyway."



"What time does the game start?"



"Eight!" Ron yelled, disappearing into the bathroom.



Harry shook his head as he half-heartedly pushed a few pizza boxes around. As they usually did when he was alone, his thoughts turned to Ginny. What was she doing now? He hadn't seen her since that day in June when he'd proposed. Harry closed his eyes and pictured her face: her warm brown eyes, the freckless scattered carelessly across her nose. Her hair would be longer, it's dark red strands falling down her back. A knocking at the door interrupted his daydream. Shaking his head to clear the image, he rose to answer.



"Hey, Hermione," he said, letting her in.



"Hello, Harry. Are you ready to- Oh for pity's sake!"



Hermione shook her head. "This place is a disaster!" She whipped out her wand and uttered an incantation.



Ten seconds later, the flat was clean. Ron walked out of the bathroom and yelped. "What happened in here!"



"The same thing that happens every time Hermione comes," Harry said, amused. "She cleaned it."



"But. . .I had everything where I could find it!" Ron protested.



Hermione shook her head disapprovingly. "Come on, we're going to be late."



Without another word, she disapparated and the boys were quick to follow.



They appeared a moment later at the Quidditch pitch.



"So," Ron said as they stood in line for tickets. "How are things at Hogwarts?"



"To be honest, it's a little strange. I'm teaching some of my friends from last year, like Ginny and Luna."



Harry started at the mention of Ginny. "How is she?" he asked, nonchalantly. Hermione gave Ron a tortured look.



"She's uh, doing well," Hermione said evasively.



Harry narrowed his eyes. "What's wrong?" he asked.



"She's been. . .dating-"



"Who?" Harry asked, urgently.



"His name is Blake something," said Ron.



"Connor," Hermione said. "Blake Connor. He's a Ravenclaw and Head Boy."



"Have I met him?" Harry asked, dangerously.



"Not that I know of." Harry clenched his fist and Hermione stamped her foot.



"You see Harry, this is why no one wanted to tell you. We knew that you would take it hard."



"Hard?" Harry said, too lightly. "I'm fine. Ginny and I are over. I've moved on."



"Maybe you should start dating then. Get to know other people," Ron suggested as they found their seats in the stadium.



"Date? I have dates all the time."



"No, Harry," Hermione said, shaking her head. "You have fiascos. You've never gone out with a girl more than once."



"They weren't my type," he protested.



"And what is your type, Harry? she persisted. "Red hair, brown eyes? Stop me when I get warm."



"You need to get over it. Ginny's moved on, why can't you?"



"I have moved on, Ron. Let's just watch the stupid match and shut up about this."



Hermione and Ron stayed silent after that. But, Harry observed them as they sat together, holding hands, Ron brushing the hair away from Hermione's eyes, laughing and joking together. Harry wanted that more than anything. He wanted somebody to whisper and share secrets with, to sit close to and to hold. He'd had all that with Ginny, but she had to go and destroy it.



Little boy, he thought. I am not a little boy.



He would show all of them that he'd moved on. His mind made up, he turned his attention to the game.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



"Stewart gets the Snitch and the Cannons win!" The announcer was ecstatic. "Special accolades go to this team's newest Beater, 18 year old, Kyla Thomas, an astounding find of the Chudley Cannon's manager, Bob Wold!"



"Is that Kyla?" Ron asked, squinting down at the pitch.



"She said she was playing Quidditch," Hermione said. "I didn't know she was that good."



You see, Harry told himself. That's the kind of girl for you. She's smart and fun, and she plays Quidditch.



"Oh, there's Angelina!" Hermione cried. "Let's go talk to her!"



Getting up, she dragged Ron away and Harry half-heartedly followed. Backing out of the stands, he bumped into someone.



"Sorry," he said, then turned. "Hey, Kyla!"



"Harry? I didn't expect to see you here! Aren't you at training?"



Harry nodded. "Yeah, both Ron and I attend the Academy in Dublin. We're here for the game."



"Oh, Ron's here?" she asked, excitedly. "Hermione too?"



Harry laughed. "Yeah."



"Well, let's go talk to them!" Harry took her by the arm, then pulled back when he felt something wet.



"You're bleeding!"



"What?" Kyla glanced at the arm. "Oh, that. That's from the bludger that Shaw sent to me. I didn't quite dodge it, but he regretted it a moment later!"



Kyla's laugh was infectious and Harry laughed too, as they came up behind Ron and Hermione.



Kyla covered Hermione's eyes. "Guess who?" she said.



"Kyla?" Hermione turned around and squealed. "How are you?"



"I'm doing good. Hey, Ron." Ron nodded in greeting and Kyla held out a hand to Angelina. "Hey Angie, how are you feeling?"



"I've been better. The twins aren't sleeping well yet. I left Fred at home so I could have the evening off."



"Angie?" Ron said with a smile and Angelina shrugged.



"So, how do you guys know each other?" Kyla asked.



"She's my sister-in-law," Ron offered. "How do you know her?"



"I didn't know Fred was your brother. . .I suppose I could have guessed. Anyway, before the twins were born, Angie was still working at the Games and Sports Department in the Ministry. She worked with McGonagall to get me through my seventh year classes early and she got me my first job."



Angelina smiled. "Well guys, it's been fun, but I better go rescue Fred from Lara and Lacey. They can get pretty wild." Angelina hugged the girls, waved to the boys and disappeared into the crowd.



"Hey Kyla, would you like to come with us for dinner?" Harry asked. "We could catch up on old times."



"Are you sure?" I'd hate to impose."



"It wouldn't be an imposition," Hermione said, immediately. "We'd love to have you."



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



After that, Kyla readily agreed and the four made their way to a small pub near the stadium.



Over dinner, Kyla regaled them with stories of training and matches.



"I just can't believe it, Ron said, for the umpteenth time. "You suit up with the Cannons every day."



Kyla shook her head. "They're normal people, Ron. It's not that exciting."



"For you maybe," he continued. "Do you think I could meet Finch?"



"Probably," Kyla replied. "I mean, she's used to desperate men fawning all over her."



"That would be brill-hey!"



Harry and Hermione joined in with the laughter as Ron sank back into his chair dejectedly.



"I'll try to see if you can meet her," Kyla said, grinning. "The rest of the team too, if you want."



"Why all this interest in Finch?" Hermione asked, suddenly and Ron turned red.



"I-well, it could be that she's-she's-"



"Young, blonde, beautiful, and flying with the Cannons?" Harry supplied.



"Actually, what I was going to say was that she's probably conceited and would only help me to better appreciate waht a treasure I have in you Hermione."



Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Nice try, but that's not enough to get you off the hook."



When they had finished eating, they rose and fastened their cloaks about their necks.



"Why don't I take Kyla home," Harry suggested. "I can meet Ron back at the flat."



"Sounds good to me," Hermione said. "It was great to see you Kyla."



"You too," Kyla said, hugging her. "And you Ron. Don't forget, next Tuesday, just find me after practice and I'll introduce you."



"Thanks," Ron said, then Kyla and Harry disapparated.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



"Thank you for a wonderful evening," Kyla said as they apparated at her door.



"No problem. It was fun."



"When are they getting married," she asked.



"Ron and Hermione? December, sometime." Harry turned to leave.



"And what about you and Ginny? I hear she's Head Girl."



Harry stopped with his hand on the door. "We broke up," he said,shortly. "Last June."



I'm so sorry," said kyla, sincerely. She squeezed his shoulder gently. "I'll see you later Harry."



"Congratulations on your win!" he called as she went in the door. Turning around he disapparated.



The moment he left her side, thoughts of Ginny pervaded his mind.








I spun this out quickly with the hope that a lynch mob wouldn't come after me for the ridiculous delay. I can make no promises on when the next chapter is up, simply cause I don't want to have to break them. Please be patient with me and enjoy this spoiler!



"If you believe that you're the only one she'll be happy with, then fight for her love!"



Until next we meet, adieu.