Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

True Love Waits by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Bit by bit I'll get his going. I've combined two chapters here to make up for the delay so hopefully this will be a little bit longer. Finally, we get to see our heroine again. . .and her boyfriend.
After that night, Harry and Kyla were nearly inseperable. He went to all of her games, she came to visit him and Ron and they doubled whenever Hermione could leave Hogwarts. Every night after taking her home though, Harry would walk alone, trying to sort out his confused thoughts. He felt as if he ought to love Kyla. He cared for her very much, but when she wasn't around, a brown-eyed red head seemed to permeate through his thoughts.

Kyla didn't have the vivacity that Ginny had. She was sweet and kind, but she couldn't set Harry on fire. Yet, every night when Harry returned to his flat, he reminded himself, She's gone. Accept it. She's not coming back. However, the stubborn voices would never completely silence.

One evening close to Christmas, Ron and Hermione were planning their upcoming wedding while Harry and Kyla listened, trying to hold in laughter as the two argued.

"Well," Hermione said in frustration. "At least there's one thing we agree on."

Harry and Kyla tried their best to look shocked. Hermione threw a couch pillow at them and they collapsed with laughter.

"And what. . .might that be?" Harry said, between spasms.

"Very funny," said Ron, shooting him a dirty look.

"We want you as best man, Harry," said Hermione, with a smile.

Harry stopped laughing. "Really?" Kyla squeezed his arm.

"Of course, mate," Ron said. "You're my best friend."

Hermione smiled. "And Kyla, we'd like to you to a bridesmaid, with Lavendar and Parvati. GInny will be maid of honor, of course."

Ron slammed his hand on the table. "How many times do I have to tell you!" he roared. "I don't want those two gossips there!"

"It's my wedding, Ron!"

"It's mine, too!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Come on," he whispered to Kyla. While they happy couple raged on, they sneaked out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I'm still amazed that those two are getting married," Kyla said, fifteen minutes later, licking an ice cream cone.

"Ah, well," Harry replied. "They'll be happier fighting together than at peace apart."

"I don't know," Kyla said thoughtfully. "Maybe it works for them, but I would want something. . .more. You know what I mean?" She smiled and leaned back. "I view love as being wildly romantic. It's candy and flowers. It's whispering about your future in the dark, painting castles in the sky. Arguing senselessly just cheapens it."

"I guess there are many facets to love and many different ways of loving," he said, his thoughts on Ginny.

Kyla was staring at him intently and smiled sadly.

"I believe you're right, Harry."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"What do you think of this one?" Ron asked a few days later.

Harry surveyed the dress robes carefully, then burst out laughing.

"Come on, Harry! Cut me some slack!"

"I can't help it," Harry said. "You look ridiculous!"

The frustrated shop owner growled. "Another set then?" and he prepared to leave.

"Wait," Harry said. Reaching into his pocket, he drew out a bag and dropped several Galleons into the owner's hand.

"Maybe we can find something a little more suitable to Mr. Weasley's taste," he hinted and the honor smiled.

"I'm sure we can, Mr. Potter," he said eagerly, walking off.

"Harry, you didn't have to-"

Harry raised up a hand to silence him. "Yes, Ron. I did. I couldn't bear the thought of Hermione laughing at you when she walked down the aisle."

Ron threw a punch at him, which he ducked. Settling an arm around Harry's shoulders, Ron sighed.

"I hope Hermione is having better luck."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione had decided to be married in a traditional muggle gown. The two women walked among the racks of white dresses, fingering the cloth, and exclaiming over beadwork.

"There's so many to choose from," said Kyla.

"I've always had a clear idea of what I want," Hermione said. "If we can't find it, we'll just get as close as we can. Mrs. Weasley will help me alter it."

"You're so lucky," Kyla sighed. "You're marrying into a great family." She smiled ruefully. "Sometimes, I wonder what's going to happen to Harry."

"What do you mean?" asked Hermione, pulling a dress off the rack and holding it up to herself.

"The Weasley's have been nothing but very kind to me and I'm grateful to them. However, I feel as if I'm driving Harry away from his only family. He knows that he's not really one fo them, though he and they want him to be. Someday that thought will strike him and he'll feel as if he's intruding." She sighed again.

"Sometimes I just wish that Ginny had accepted him. He would be happier."

Hermione pulled Kyla into a hug. "You really love Harry, don't you?"

"I - I don't know. I'm . . . fond of him. I would do anything for him."

"I'm not going to lie to you, Kyla. Harry loved Ginny and even now he still has feelings for her."

"I know," Kyla replied. "It's obvious. Every time her name gets mentioned, he acts strange and I can see it clearly." Her tone was bitter.

Hermione gave her a knowing look. "Harry is a great guy. He's caring and smart and. . .well, let's face it. For all he's been through he isn't very mature. He needs some strong force to guide him. " She laughed. "I guess that's why Ginny was so good for him. She wouldn't put up with his nonsense. . ." Kyla's face fell. ". . .And neither should you," Hermione continued. "Let him know that you're here now and he'll move on." Suddenly, she let out a squeal of excitement.

"This is it! I've found my dress!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Seriously, though," Kyla said, as they waited for the boys. "I wish that Harry would stop playing around and let me know his intentions."

"Oh please!" Hermione laughed. "Harry works a lot faster than Ron. I waited six and a half years for him to figure out his intentions."

"Just the same, I'm not looking forward to seeing Ginny again."

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "I thought you two were friends?"

"Oh we are," Kyla assured her. "But Harry and Ginny combined with Blake, then throw me into the bargain? You'd just better be happy that you're leaving on your honeymoon before it gets too bad!"

"Well, I'm-"

"Hullo!" Ron said as he and Harry Apparated behind the girls.

"Ron!" Hermione hissed, looking up and down the street. "The muggles might have seen!"

"Them? They don't notice anything." He kissed her on the cheek and Harry moved to stand by Kyla.

"How did the shopping go?" she asked, lightly.

"Let me tell you now, Ron just isn't the type that looks decent in dress robes. The ridiculous number of-"

"Harry!" Ron said indignantly. "You promised!"

"I lied."

"Why, you-"

"So, did you find something?" interrupted Hermione.

"As a matter of fact, we both did." He peered at the box she held. "What about you?"

She snatched the box from his grasping hands. "Oh no, you can't look at it before the wedding!"

Ron looked puzzled. "Why not?"

"It's a muggle tradition," Harry said.

"What?"

"It's bad luck," said Hermione loftily.

Ron shook his head. "Muggles are so weird," he mumbled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The day before the wedding arrived with a violent downpour. The streets had filled with rain overnight and Harry and Ron awoke to find several puddles on the floor from the leaky ceiling.

Harry rolled out of bed, yawning, and tried to stand. As he did, he slipped on an empty butterbeer bottle. With a loud crash, he fell to the floor, wrenching his ankle.

Great, he thought. It's going to be one of those days.

"Are you alright?" Ron called from the bathroom.

"I'm fine!' He yelled back. Just injured my pride.

"Well, I'm finished," Ron announced, coming out of the bathroom, his long, red hair dripping wet.

Harry limped to his dresser, where he pinched his thumb in the drawer, and hobbled to the bathroom. Blearily, he gazed at the mirror. Under his eyes were dark circles and his tousled black hair was more unruly than usual.

With a sigh, he turned on the shower, yelping at the flow of cold water.

"Ron!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Mum, we're here!" Ron called when they arrived at the Burrow.

"Thank goodness!" Mrs. Weasley walked out of the kitchen, absolutely covered in flour. "Ginny and Blake will be here within the hour, Hermione will show up after the match, with Kyla. Charlie and Bill put up a large tent to block the rain. Fred and George are out back setting up for rehearsal while Angelina, Tonks and Fleur are watching the children. Hermione's family will be here for the rehearsal. I need you both to work on decorating the house. I don't even know where everyone is sleeping tonight and-"

Mr. Weasley came up behind his wife and lay his hands on her shoulders. "Molly dear, what did I tell you just five minutes ago?"

Mrs. Weasley took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Relax. . .relax. . .relax. . ."

Harry threw a bewildered look to Ron who just shrugged.

"Come on boys, I'll show you what you need to do." Mr. Weasley kissed his wife on the cheek as she continued to murmur.

"Phew!" he said as he shut the kitchen door. "Only two more after you, Ron. Then maybe she can finally calm down."

"I doubt it," George said, coming down the hall. "After all, it's the two most troublesome left, isn't it, Harry?" He smiled and winked.

"Get going," Mr. Weasley said sternly. "We don't have time for your cheek." He turned back to Harry and Ron.

"In all honesty boys, she's overreacting, just a bit. Just summon the decorations from the attic, they'll arrange themselves." He left them to it.

Harry sighed and raised his wand. Here within the hour. . . "Accio decorations!"

Less than a moment later, a large box came hurtling down the stairs. Too late, he turned and it caught him on the side of the head, knocking him to the ground.

"Harry!"

Ginny had just walked into the house. After screaming his name, she rushed over and picked up his head, laying it on her lap.

"Are you alright?" she asked, breathlessly.

His vision cleared and her face came swimming into view. Just as he remembered her, and yet very different from the last time he'd seen her. Her dark red hair had grown until it reached her waist, it was pulled back in a ponytail, but rain-soaked tendrils still clung to her face. Her brown eyes were as warm as ever, but they were sober, no longer dancing. It was her, his Ginny.

No. Not his Ginny. Not anymore.

He sat up quickly, wincing as he touched the knot forming on the side of his head.

"I'm fine," he gasped. "Just let me stand."

"I don't think so," she protested. "Let me get a good look at that lump." Pulling out her wand, she prodded it.

"Ow!" he cried out.

"It's not bad," she said. Pulling out her handbag, she retrieved a small container. "Here."

Opening it, she dabbed a purple cream onto the knot, massaging it gently. "There," she said twisting the lid back on. "Does that feel better?"

"Yeah, thanks," he said, rising awkwardly. "I. . .er-"

"Oh!" Ginny said, clasping her hands. "I forgot! Ron, Harry, I'd like you to meet Blake Connor."

Harry hadn't noticed the figure behind Ginny until she brought him out into the light. Blake extended his hand. Harry observed the bright blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He had a strong chin and he looked muscular. Ron nudged Harry, clearing his throat. Harry shook his head, and went to shake Blake's hand. The grasp was firm and Harry applied extra pressure.

"I'm glad to meet you," Blake said when Harry finally let go. "I've heard nothing but good things about you from Ginny." He smiled. "I understand that you're great friends."

"Oh yes," Harry said emphatically, looking pointedly at Ginny. "The very best."

Ginny rolled her eyes.

"Ginny!" Mrs. Weasley hurried from the kitchen and threw her arms around her daughter. "My baby, you're home!"

"Hi Mum," Ginny said, extricating herself. "Mum, this is-"

"Blake dear, how are you? You must be exhausted, both of you." Mrs. Weasley turned to Harry and Ron. "Boys, I'll finish decorating. Harry, why don't you take Ginny's things to her room, Ron, take Blake's to yours. " She smiled brightly and went back to her kitchen.

Harry looked at Ginny and gave her an awkward half smile as he picked up her bag and Ron did the same for Blake.

"So. . ." he said nervously when they were alone. "How-how have you been?"

"I can't complain," she said, vacantly. I've been keeping busy with my healing duties. Madame Pomfrey has me interning for her on the weekends."

"Are you enjoying Healing then?" Why can't I think of anything to say?

"Yeah, I am." She opened the door to her room and he followed her in. "What about you? Is being an Auror al that it's cracked up to be?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "I guess. We're not doing so much experience work yet. We're just working on the basics."

He set her bags down on the floor. "Well," he said, nervously. "I guess I'd better get back downstairs. Hermione and Kyla should be here pretty soon."

"How is Kyla?" Ginny asked with a slight grin. "I hear that you two have been spending a lot of time together."

"She's good. She's a brilliant Beater, the Cannons are lucky to have her," Harry boasted.

"Really?" Ginny said, mischievously. "Maybe we can get a game together sometime this week. Blake is the Seeker for Ravenclaw. Maybe we can pit him against you and see who's better."

"Maybe," Harry said, evasively, not wanting to continue along this vein. "If you'll excuse me."

Once in the hallway, he leaned against the wall, rubbing his aching leg. His head began to hurt again. This is going to be a long week.

Blake and Ron came down the stairs, thumping loudly, making Harry wince, their footsteps like thunder in his ears.

"Hey," Ron said. "We just saw Hermione and Kyla coming up the walk."

"I'm anxious to meet them," Blake said cheerfully. "After all that I've heard. . .even though," he added, jokingly. "There are already too many Gryffindor's in this house."

"Penny was a Ravenclaw," Ron said. "You won't be alone."

"Not that I'm against Gryffindor, mind you," said Blake. "After all, I have a brother and a sister in Gryffindor."

"They're twins in first year," Ginny said, coming out of her room. Her hair was now pulled back into a French braid and she'd changed into muggle clothes. "Jason and Alexis."

"Let's go down, then," Blake laughed, taking Ginny by the hand. Ron followed them and Harry, seething walked behind.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

That night after the rehearsal, Ron and Hermione, Harry and Kyla, and Ginny and Blake all sat up late, watching the moonrise in the cold December air as the fireflies came out. They'd thrown an old blanket down on the wet grass. Hermione reclined in Ron's arms and Kyla and Ginny were deep in discussion about Quidditch plays. Occasionally, Ron would throw in his opinions, but mostly he discussed Auror training with Blake.

Harry lay flat on his back, watching the stars. Once in a while, he turned and observed Ginny and Kyla. Without even thinking about it, he was comparing the two of them.

In looks, they were tied. Kyla had a natural beauty. She had long blonde hair and beautiful dark blue eyes. Her skin was fair and soft and she was tall and elegant. Ginny was shorter and very slender. Her long hair was dark red and very thick. Her face was freckled, her chocolate brown eyes sparkled with a mischievous delight.

In temperament, Kyla was sweet, kind, and polite to everybody. She had the tendency to be timid, despite the fact that she was a top notch Beater. That's odd, Harry thought. She wasn't like that at Hogwarts. She seemed so much bolder then. Like Ginny. She knew what she wanted and how to get it. Ginny wasn't afraid to speak her mind, even if it conflicted with popular opinion.

She's gone through the same things that I have, Harry realized. She knows what it is to be alone, she's got a wicked temper, she's even faced Voldemort almost as much as me. Maybe everyone is right. Opposites do attrack. That's why I'm meant to be with Kyla and Ginny to be with- His thoughts stopped there. Maybe he was meant to be with Kyla, but Ginny. . . She couldn't possibly be meant for anybody but him.

Harry sat up. "I think I'm going inside now," he announced. "It's late and we have to be up early. Goodnight."

As he headed up the hill, from behind, he heard Blake's voice. "He's a quiet one, isn't he."

"He's just tired," Kyla replied. "Tired and worn out."

"It hasn't been easy for him, has it?"

"Harry's fine, Hermione," Ron said. "Leave him be."

Harry noticed that the only one who didn't voice an opinion was Ginny. Snow began falling as he entered the house.