Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

True Love Waits by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: So there doesn't seem to be as much of a wait here. This chapter isn't as long as the previous one, but it's one of my favorites. Get ready for something we've been waiting for since Book One!
Ron stood as white as the snow falling outside. The kitchen has been turned into a temporary dressing room for the men while the women dressed in the parlor.

"It's okay!" Charlie laughed from behind him. "Don't look so frightened!"

"Yeah," George piped in as he drew his shirt over his head. "I mean, Hermione still has another two hours to turn you down."

Ron groaned and tugged at his hair.

"Come on boys, leave your brother alone!" Mr. Weasley chided. "George, you'll be a big enough mess when your time comes. Cut Ron some slack."

"No, I think I'm destined to be a bachelor. Old Uncle George, how does that sound?"

"Like codswallop," Bill said. "Your time will come George. Mark my words."

Fred came running into the room, a gurgling baby draped over his arm.

"You're late," Mr. Weasley said without looking away from the mirror where he was buttoning his collar.

"What's Lara doing in here?" Harry asked. "Why doesn't Angelina have her?"

"This is Lacey," Fred said, setting the infant in a cradle by the stove. "Angelina said that she couldn't possibly get dressed with two babies so I was elected to watch this one."

He walked over to sling an arm around Ron's shoulders.

"Ease up mate! Most of us have been married and we haven't died yet."

Ron's hands shook as he tied his bowtie. "I'm not n-nervous," he stuttered, causing the married men to laugh while Harry patted his shoulder, fighting back his own mirth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mrs. Granger had tears in her eyes as she swept Hermione's hair up into an elegant bun with tendrils draped over her ears and neck.

"Mum, please don't cry. If you start, then I will, too."

"I can't help it," Mrs. Granger sniffed. "I'm losing my baby!"

"Losing me?" Hermione said, laughing. "I'll be at Hogwarts, same as I've been for the last eight years!"

"Why does he have to go away and leave you all alone, though?"

"Mum," Hermione explained, patiently. "He isn't leaving me. He'll be able to visit me. Once the semester is over, we'll be back here for a couple of months. With my money from teaching, we'll have enough to buy a home in Dublin."

Mrs. Granger hugged her daughter. "He's a good boy. I'm sure that you'll be happy."

Lavendar and Parvati sailed into the room in their pale blue dresses.

"So, Hermione," Lavendar said with a giggle. "Did you see those two?"

"Who?" asked Hermione.

Parvati laughed. "Why, Harry and Blake of course." She leaned in conspiratorily. "I'm not one for younger men but Blake. . . It's a shame that Ginny has got him completely wrapped around her finger."

"Harry's nice, you know," Lavendar said. "But there's just no comparison to someone like Blake."

"We're heading outside," Parvati said. "You'd better get your dress on Hermione."

Honestly, Hermione thought as they left the room. Maybe Ron has a point about those two.

She pulled the dress from its hanger, laying it on the sofa.

"Need help?" Ginny and Kyla came in, followed by Mrs. Weasley.

Hermione smiled. "That'd be great."

Together the three of them and Mrs. Granger got the dress on her without mussing her hair.

Last, Kyla pulled a long frosty veil from a box and Kyla laid it over Hermione's head. Reaching for the clasp on the bustle, Hermione loosed the train.

Angelina and Penny, each holding a twin, opened the door a crack.

"They're ready for you all."

Ginny and Kyla each squeezed Hermione's hands and Ginny kissed her cheek.

"After this, we'll really be sisters," she whispered. Then, they were gone and Hermione's father appeared at the door.

"Honey?"

She came forward and he smiled tenderly. Her dress reached to the floor. It exposed her shoulders with sleeves that were long and full. The train spread several feet behind her and the veil covered her bareback and frosted over her hair.

"Is that my Miney-Jane, all grown up and looking so beautiful?"

She blushed prettily at the use of her childhood nickname. He pulled her close and whispered, "I"m so proud of you punkin."

"Thanks Daddy."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As she stood in the back of the crowd, waiting for the wedding march, she didn't notice the light snow falling outside the large tent. The people were smiling back at her, her friends, family, teachers, but she saw none of them. Hermione had eyes for one person only.

There he was, standing with a shock of red hair, right by the holy man, facing away from her. Every step brought Hermione closer to the boy - man who had won her heart.

Ron smiled as she came into view. She slipped her hand into his and it was the last thing he remembered before he realized that he was kissing her amidst cheers and that the ceremony had ended.

Mr. Weasley waved his wand and all the chairs disappeared, leaving in their places tables around the edges of the tent. In the middle of the room was a dance floor and a small orchestra filed onto the makeshift stage.

Ron held out his arms to Hermione and she gracefully fell into step, swaying softly back and forth as they gazed into each other's eyes lovinglyg. The song that they had chosen for their own played softly. It signified everything that their relationship was.

Dream about a day when we'll be
calm, serene, completely carefree
Just for fun, think of one ordinary day.

Ask yourself what it would feel like
Dream the dream with all of your might
Close your eyes, visualize, just one normal day.

Time to find out who we are
Time to find our lucky star
We'll love in peace.

Just imagine no more violence
No more bombs, the sound of silence
Time to be, you and me, time to love in peace.

Days of hope so calm and tranquil
Private moments to be thankful
On our own, left alone, free to love in peace.

Time to simply sit and breathe
Time to learn how to believe
And give thanks for our release
To love in peace.

Time to dance and time to grow
Time to learn and time to know
Time to prosper and increase,
We'll love in peace.

Sometimes I get on my knees and pray
For that one ordinary day
When all the pain will finally cease
Then we'll be free to love in peace

Just for fun, think of one, ordinary day.


"Ladies and gentlemen," the singer announced when she had finished, "I would like to introduce to you for the first time, Ron and Hermione Weasley."

Harry applauded loudly, drowned out by the Weasley brother's cheers and catcalls. Ron was bright red but Hermione looked tranquil. She was calm and serence and looked up at her husband adoringly.

Harry had never really thought of Hermione as beautiful, but now she shone radiantly and vibrantly, so great was her happiness.

Mr. Granger cam eforward to take Hermione out to dance and Mrs. Weasley did the same with Ron. All the married Weasley's took up their wives to dance.

Looking across the tent, Harry saw Penelope on the otehr side, sitting with Janey on her lap. Her face looked sad and Harry knew that she was thinking about Percy. He'd made up his mind to go and talk to her and even started her way when Blake came forward before him.

"It doesn't seem right for your family to dance without you," he said, gently. "Would you do me the honor?"

She smiled. "Really Blake, that's sweet of you but Janey's asleep and I can't just lay her down-"

"I'll take her," Harry offered, surprising himself. "There's no reason why you shouldn't dance, Penny."

With a grateful look in her eyes, she passed Janey to Harry and took the hand that Blake proffered.

"That was a decent thing you did, Harry." Kyla came to sit beside him, laying her hand on his arm.

"No," he said. "It was Blake who did the "decent thing." I just said I'd hold Janey."

"Blake turned out to be a great guy," Kyla observed. "He's well-mannered, polite. . .and if I may be so bold, I'm glad that Ginny has him and I think you are too."

"What?" Harry asked, incredulously.

"I know that you're very protective of Ginny. Harry, you've been watching Blake like a hawk ever since he came through the door yesterday. And I can tell that you don't feel so bitter about him anymore."

"Maybe," Harry assented, putting his arm around her shoulders. And maybe I just can't admit it because when I do, Ginny will be gone from me forever.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The party was set to go on for hours, but by eleven, Harry felt as though he couldn't take it anymore. He said goodnight to Ron and Hermione, congratulating them, then left Kyla to talk with Angelina and Blake about the Cannons. Ginny had complained that she felt ill about an hour previously and she had also retired for the night.

Passing her room, Harry heard a low moan. "Ginny?" he called, knocking at the door. No one answered. He pushed the door open and saw her there, lying on the floor, still in her bridesmaid's dress, her soft hair fanned about her.

She screamed, and without a moment's hesitation, he ran to her side and pulled her onto his lap, cradling her head.

"It's alright, Ginny," he soothed. "Just hold onto me, hold on."

Her arms went around his waist and she pulled herself into a sitting position across his lap, her head leaning onto his chest. The rumbling on the stairs announced the arrival of the wedding party.

"We heard a scream!" Mrs. Weasley said. "What--Oh my goodness!" At the sight of her sobbing daughter, she tried to rush forward but her husband held her back.

"Is it a vision? Will she be alright?" he asked Harry, who nodded.

Mr. Weasley took a breath and said, "Molly, let's all go back downstairs. Harry can handle this." With a last look behind her, Mrs. Weasley allowed herself to be led away. Blake, however, stayed behind.

"Harry. . ." Ginny mumbled. "It hurts, it hurts so bad."

"Sh," he whispered, rubbing her back and kissing her on top of the head. "It will be alright." Looking up, he noticed Blake standing there and suddenly, he felt like an intruder.

"Come over here," he said.

"What can I do?" Blake asked, stepping forward and sitting down on the bed. Harry lifted the crying girl in his arms.

"Just. . .hold her," he choked, setting her on Blake's lap. "Whisper to her, rub her back and reassure her.
K-kiss her. She'll be fine after awhile. She just needs to know that somebody is here."

He turned quickly to leave the room before he screamed outloud at the injustice.

"Harry?"

He stopped and looked back.

Blake looked at him understandingly. "Thanks. . .friend."

Harry nodded, but the sight of Blake bending over to whisper to Ginny was too much for him to bear and he felt very tired and very old. As quickly as he could, he fled the room and returned to his own.

Kyla watched him go from the shadows. She was in awe of the love that Harry had shown Ginny, but her heart now broke and tears ran down her cheeks. Now she knew that Harry's love for Ginny was endless. He could never truly belong to anyone else. She had lost him, but she wasn't sure she ever really had him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At about three o'clock that morning, Harry heard a light knock at his door. Yawning, he rolled out of bed, not bothering to throw on a shirt, and he pulled the door open.

Ginny stood before him in a white tank top and pink pajama bottoms. Her long hair was loose, hanging down her back, and she was barefoot. Harry thought that she looked beautiful. Her face was pale and her eyes looked young and haunted, an after-effect of the vision.

"Harry," she whispered, "can I come in and talk to you?"

He nodded, opening the door wider so she could come through. She sat down, cross-legged on the bed, a pillow grasped in her arms. Running his hand through his disheveled hair, Harry took a seat on the floor, looking up at her.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, gently.

"Oh you know, I'm tired as usual and. . .I feel terrible," she concluded, seeing the look on his face.

"Do you want to tell me about it?" Harry asked.

Ginny's eyes pooled with tears. "It's Fleur."

"What about Fleur?"

"She and Bill. . .lose the baby." Ginny's tears spilled over, running down her cheek onto the pillow she held.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked and Ginny nodded.

"Do you-are you going to tell them?"

She shook her head. "I can't. You know as well as I do that prophecies and visions aren't guaranteed. I could be wrong, I could have misread it. . .besides, what would it be like if I told them? They would try to stop if from happening and could inadvertantly cause it. Or, they would blame me for it. It's better if they don't know. I'll be alright soon enough but Bill and Fleur. . .you know how much they wanted this baby."

"I know," Hary said sadly. "I'm glad that Blake could be there for you, though."

"Harry, I feel awful. I never told Blake about my visions. It was just too difficult a subject to bring up. I'm surprised that he knew how to help me."

Harry looked away bitterly. "Yes," he said. "Blake's a good guy. You're very lucky."

Ginny got up and knelt by Harry. Taking his chin in her hands, she turned him to look at her.

"Harry, you may be one of the few people who understands how terrible my visions are. When I. . .came back, it was Blake holding me, kissing me. But it was you that I remembered. Harry, I know it was you who found me and then. . .you let Blake take over. Thank you for letting me go."

She kissed him on the cheek and left the room. Stopping at the door, she looked back. "Please, not a word to anyone? Especially Bill and Fleur." She smiled softly. "Happy Christmas, Harry." She shut the door and he stared at it for a few minutes, realizing that once more he had allowed her to walk out of his life.

"Goodbye, Ginny. I don't know what I'll do without you but if it's what you want. I'd do anything for you, even if it breaks my heart."




A/N That took pretty much forever to type but it's up sooner than you all expected, or at least sooner than I did. I got the drama going and I hope people don't feel like killing me. Please leave great reviews and here's your spoiler.

"When the world is wet and dirty, I get so discouraged. And then the snow comes and I forget. Oh, I can forget all the sorrow and the pain. Evil can't survive in a world where we have snowfall."