Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

True Love Waits by Narwen3

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A week later, life returned to normal. Ginny and Blake returned to Hogwarts. Ron and Hermione came back from their honeymoon and Harry and Ron started their second semester in Auror training.

It was a very trying time for Harry. Ron spent a lot of time moping around without Hermione and Harry missed Kyla. He'd never realized how much time he had spent with her, yet he still felt confused about his feelings for her. She'd seemed so far away and distant that night when she told him that she was leaving. A couple weeks later, he got her letter.

Dear Harry, as you can probably guess, I'm home now. I met up with my dad the first day I got back. After some convincing, I got him to go with me to see mom and Will. Dad lives in New York City and mom and Will are in California. We took our time getting there, for even though I'm an American, I hadn't really seen much of my own country.

When we finally got to California, we visited mom first. She of course, welcomed me and was even civil to Dad. Harry, it was the first time in ten years that they've been in the same room without fighting! She invited us to stay for dinner, so we did, and after, I went alone to see Will. When I knocked on the door, a pretty woman with short black opened it.

I told her my name and her eyes went wide. "Will!" she called out. "It's her! She's back!" Will came running to the door and stopped just short of it. We stared at each other for a few seconds, then he ran and gave me the biggest hug I've had in my entire life. I told him I'd been in England and he introduced me to his wife, Monique, and their children, Shelby and Benjamin.

I found my family again. My neice and nephew are so adorable, and my sister-in-law has been a wonderful friend. As for my brother, I'm just sad that we've been at odds these past ten years. We've missed out on so much. Tomorrow, we're going to Disneyland with the whole family. Monique is a muggle-born witch, and like Hermione, she keeps in touch with both worlds.

And of course, my whole family was excited to learn that I'm dating "The Boy Who Lived." They are all anxious to meet you. I think when I come home, I'm going to invited them to stay with me.

I miss you, and I can't wait to see you again. However, I needed to come here. I found something too precious to lose.

Love, Kyla.


Harry smiled to himself as he pulled out a roll of parchment and a quill. He wrote back.

Dear Kyla, that sounds great about your family. I'm so happy for you.

Life here is settling down. Ron and Hermione came back, but of course, Hermione went back to Hogwarts immediately and Ron just isn't the same. Fleur and Bill are excited about the baby. They expect him next month.


Harry paused briefly, remembering that last night with Ginny. He sighed rubbing his forehead.

They can't wait to be parents. As Lara and Lacey get older, Fred and Angelina get more tired. Fred's finally getting what he had coming to him, but I think it's hard on Angelina. Charlie and Tonks are the same as always. Remus has gotten so big. He looks a lot like his dad, with moon-grey eyes and a quiet temperament.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are already planning the next "reunion" and since you have been adopted just like me, you will be invited. Maybe your family could come, too. I'd be very happy to meet them, please do bring them when you come home.

I miss you. Harry.


Harry sealed the letter with his wand and called Hedwig to him. After tying the letter to her leg, she nipped his finger gently and took off.

A large sigh interrupted his thoughts. Ron was reclined in a chair, absentmindedly twisting his wedding band as he stared morosely at the wall. Harry stifled a chuckle.

"Come on, mate. Cheer up!"

"Hm?" Ron blinked. "What did you say?"

"If you miss her so much, why not go up to Hogwarts with me this weekend, and see her?"

"Really?" Ron jumped up. "Harry, that's a brilliant idea!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Friday morning, Harry and Ron cut classes to head for Hogwarts. After a rattling ride on the Knight Bus, they arrived in Hogsmeade and ducked intop a small shop at the end of a lane. The shopkeeper was a merry Scotsman with twinkling brown eyes.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Keegan," Harry said, cheerfully.

"Mr. Potter! Mr. Weasley! I must say, it is happy I am that ye'd come to see me." Cho's adoptive father shook their hands, beaming at them. Harry's eyes flicked over to a picture of Cho and Cedric, by a notice of her death. He swallowed back the lump forming in his throat.

"How are you and Mrs. Keegan?" he asked, gently.

"We're getting by," Mr. Keegan replied. "Maude is struggling some, but. . .we're getting by," he trailed off.

"Well, what can I do for ye then? Looking for another Valentine's gift for that red-headed lass of yours?"

"Actually, no. We -er, broke up. Awhile ago."

Billy Keegan frowned. "Ah, I'm sorry to hear that lad."

"It's okay. Ron here was looking for something. though."

"Oh yes, didn't I read something in the paper about your marriage?"

"Yes," Ron said. "In December. We're going up to visit her and I wanted to buy her a gift."

Mr. Keegan grinned, mischievously. "I wouldn't have thought ye'd be wanting another man around when going to visit your wife, eh, lad?"

Ron turned a bright red and Mr. Keegan laughed. "Well, lad, that's your lookout. It just so happens that I've got some purple diamond earrings in." He reached to the top shelf and pulled down a glittering set.

"Now, normal diamonds would be clear, but these are what happens when they're dragon heated. Dragons sometimes live in mining caves and their breath burns the gems into a brilliant purple. Seeing as how we be friends, will ye not take them at half price?"

Ron thanked him and dropped the amount into Mr. Keegan's hand who turned to Harry.

"By the way, Mr. Potter, what became of that necklace I sold ye, years ago?"

Harry shrugged. "I guess Ginny still has it."

"Hm. Interesting piece of work, that charm. Guaranteed to be right every time." He smiled.

"Good day, Mr. Potter. Mr. Weasley."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Ron? Harry? What are you two doing here?" Hermione sprinted down the hall and threw herself into Ron's arms, kissing him soundly. Behind her, a couple first years stopped in their tracks, their jaws dropping open.

Quickly she pulled away. "Run along now," she said, her face red, as she tried to salvage her dignity. The first years scampered out of sight.

"When did you get here?" she continued. "How long are you staying? Oh my goodness, you didn't cut school did you? Ronald Weasley, that is the most irresponsible-"

Ron silenced her by kissing her again. She relaxed, then playfully swatted him.

"Anyway, I can disguise that I'm glad to see you."

"What Hermione?" Harry said, faking hurt. "I don't get such an exuberant greeting?" Hermione laughed, then hugged him and kissed his cheek.

"That's all you get. I'll leave the rest up to Kyla. Did she come with you, too?"

"No," Harry said. "She's in America, visiting her brother. Is lunch served?" he asked, changing the subject. "I'm starving."

Ron quickly agreed and they started down the hallway, Hermione with her arm wrapped around Ron's waist; his arm was around her shoulders.

"How've you been feeling?" Ron asked quietly.

"Not too bad," Hermione responded with a soft smile.

"It's just like old times," she added as they entered the Great Hall which was still fairly empty of students. "Does McGonagall know you're here?"

"Yeah," Ron replied. "We stopped off first to let her know we were here for the weekend."

"Good. Well, you'll have the opportunity to join us at the staff table, or if you prefer, you can take lunch in your room."

"You know what, I'm not so hungry anymore," Harry said. "I think I want to walk around for a bit and see a few places."

Hermione smiled. "Alright, Harry. We'll see you later."

"Bye." Harry watched them walk away, so clearly in love that it made his heart ache. With a sigh, he ducked out a side door and ran straight into Luna Lovegood.

"Ouch! Sorry, I wasn't watching my-Harry Potter?"

"Luna? How've you been?"

"I'm great! What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Ron and I are up visiting Hermione."

"Has Hermione told you the news?"

"News?" Harry said. "What's going on?"

Luna held up her left hand to show off a ring.

"Congratulations!" Harry said. "When did Neville ask you?"

"Oh, I asked him," Luna said dreamily. "Over Christmas. It was so wonderful. . .Anyway, I've got to get down to lunch. See you later, Harry!"

Harry watched her go on down the stairs, humming to herself. He furrowed his brow, then shrugged. Luna had always been rather. . .unorthodox.

As he wandered around the school, he felt a wave of sadness. This place had once been his home, but now it felt unfamiliar and different. He had changed. The classrooms, the teachers. It was all there, but he had no part in it.

"So many memories," he said, aloud. Yet that's all they were. Memories. There was nothing solid about them and trying to hold onto them wouldn't help him any. They had happened long ago and had helped shape him into who he was and just like that, they were gone.

"Harry?" He turned his head and saw Blake coming towards him. Hurriedly, he brushed away the tears that had sprung up unnoticed.

"What are you doing here?" Blake asked.

"Ron wanted to see Hermione. I came along for the ride."

"Have you seen Ginny yet?"

"No, why?" Harry asked, puzzled.

"It was so weird. She mentioned that you'd be coming by, but when I asked, she said she didn't get a letter or anything, she just knew. . ." Blake laughed. "Well, then again, maybe it's no that strange. Would you like to come with me to see her?"

Harry shrugged. "I guess."

Blake led the way down the hall. "She's in potions now, but she should be finished soon."

"Can I ask you something?" Harry said as they walked down the stairs to the dungeons.

"What is it?"

"You're. . .well, to put it plainly, I wasn't too happy about you dating Ginny. In fact, I was downright jealous. But you've always treated me like a friend. Why?"

Blake cast his eyes down. "You know yourself how special Ginny is. I've told her that I think I'm in love with her. Do you know what her response was? That I needed to wait for her to say it first."

"I know what that's like," Harry said, ruefully.

"I trust Ginny," Blake said. "I trust her completely. I know that she would never do anything behind my back. And I know how important you've been to her, and it wouldn't be fair for me to take that away."

"Blake. . .when I found out that Ginny was dating you, I decided to hate you. I don't know now. I mean, since I can't have her, at least she has you."

"I understand," Blake said, as they stopped outside the Potions room. If I lost her to you, at least I know she'd be happy."

Harry laughed with only a twinge of bitterness. "I wouldn't worry about that. She made her opinion of me perfectly clear last year."

"Yes, but Harry, don't be afraid to be her friend. She needs you. Just. . .just don't get too close to her. I don't know if I could stand it."

"I know what you mean."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~