Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Strings That Tie To You by belladonna_tb

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Three: Unfamiliar World


[A few days later]


“I’ll get those Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said as he stepped behind her, gently placing his hand on her shoulder.

She sniffled lightly and tried to hide the tears that had been falling. She was standing at the kitchen sink, absentmindedly washing the dishes they’d just dirtied.

“Nonsense,” she said, ridding her tone of any trace of sadness. “I’ll just magic them and they’ll be clean in no time.”

“That’s okay. I don’t mind doing them. It’ll help me take my mind off of a few things right now.”

Mrs. Weasley smiled weakly at him with tear-stained cheeks and spoke kindheartedly to him. “Well, alright…just as long as you don’t coop yourself in here all afternoon, okay?”

Harry nodded and sunk his hands into the soapy water as he grabbed a plate and began washing it. He looked out the window, much like Mrs. Weasley had been while she was cleaning, and found that what previously caught her attention now caught his.

Ginny was sitting outside on a patch of grass holding a tiny music box as a figure inside danced about each time she opened and closed the lid.

“She’s been playing with that all morning,” came Mrs. Weasley’s voice from beside Harry. “You remember that music box?”

He swallowed a hard lump in his throat and gave a small nod. It was the one he’d given to her just after they’d started dating. Ginny was never one for a lot of frills. Matter of fact, she enjoyed many of the same things that Harry did, but he knew that underneath her independent, tough shell was a girl who’s heart fluttered for him, just as much as his did for her.

She wasn’t one of those girls that Harry saw as being too girly. Her mind was never focused on lace or giggles or gushing over some nice looking bloke. But he knew she had a weakness sometimes…and they often involved him.

“What’s this?” Ginny said to him as he handed her the badly wrapped gift.

“Oh, it’s just a little something that I picked up for you when we went to Hogsmeade last weekend,” Harry answered, skirting around her question. He’d been waiting all day to give it to her. Thankfully, Ron and Hermione had finally headed off to their dormitories, allowing him and Ginny a few moments together.

“But…Harry, you didn’t have to,” she smiled up at him without opening it.

“I know…but I wanted to,” he said simply. “Now, go on; open it.”

The brown flecks in her eyes twinkled as she grinned and began to furiously unwrap the package, revealing a tiny box. She lifted its small lid and the beautiful sound of a piano filled the air around them.

The smile that had been on her face seemed to fade away and for a moment, Harry was so afraid that he’d offended her in some way.

“Ginny? Is- is something the matter?” he asked nervously. “If you don’t fancy it, I can take it back.”

“No, nothing’s wrong. I just- this is my favorite song. How did you know?” she said, looking up with tear-filled eyes.

“Well, despite the fact that we’ve only been dating for a short time, I have managed to learn a few things about you over the years,” he said with a wink.

“But how did you find a music box with this song? I hardly hear it played anymore.”

“I had the shopkeeper put a permanent charm on it. It wasn’t a big deal.”

Almost as soon as the words left his mouth, her arms flew around his neck, her hands laced into his hair, and her lips were on his. He heard her moan as he pulled away slowly.

“So…you like it then?” Harry said with a smirk.

Instead of giving him the playful attitude that she knew he was trying to draw out, she pulled herself onto his lap. Straddling him, she picked up the small music box, opening it again to hear the sweet melody.

“Harry, I love it. It’s absolutely beautiful. But…you really didn’t have to.”

A thick lump seemed to be caught in Harry’s throat as Ginny sat there on his lap.
This was good, he thought. No! he shook it from his head. This is bad, very, very, very bad…and far too soon. He cautiously pushed the lump from his throat and placed his hands over hers as she held onto the gift.

A nervous smile formed on his lips, “You already said that.” She giggled lightly as he spoke again. “You make me the happiest that I can ever remember, so…you deserve to have something that makes you happy too.”

“But I do have something that makes me happy, Harry,” she looked down at his hands over hers and sighed as her eyes drifted back up to his, blushing only slightly. “You make me happy.”

All he could think about as he felt her hands in his hair again and watched her lips move closer to his was that somehow, he would have to move her back onto the sofa next to him because if she didn’t, they might both regret their over-anxiousness.


“She’s been like that for the past half hour,” Mrs. Weasley said, causing Harry to blush deeply at the thoughts he was having about her only daughter.

“Er…I’m sorry, what?” he stuttered.

“Sitting there…with that music box, she’s been doing nothing but listening to it and staring at it for the last half hour.” She sighed deeply. “You don’t think she recognizes it, do you?”

“I wish I knew,” Harry said as he stopped washing the dishes and looked back at her. “Has she said anything to you? Does she seem to remember anything?”

“No…she hasn’t said anything to me, dear. She hasn’t really talked to any of us…but I’m sure she’ll come around. Don’t you think so?”

“I certainly hope so,” he said, turning back to watch Ginny as he continued with the dishes. He felt Mrs. Weasley pat his back and walk away, leaving him with the memory of the little tune that always played from the music box.

What would I have done if I’d lost her? Harry thought as he watched Ginny admire the small box in her hands.

“It’s difficult…seeing her like this,” Ron spoke with an unsteady voice as he approached Harry. “I keep thinking that any minute she’ll just snap out of it and be back to her old self in minutes, but…I guess it’s just wishful thinking.”

“She’ll be all right, mate. One of these days she’ll remember everything about her life and us. She has to,” he said, hanging his head.

“But that’s just it,” the ginger-haired boy said with frustration. “The Healers don’t even know if or when she’ll be able to remember anything. I still can’t believe that they didn’t keep her at St. Mungo’s for longer than two days after she woke.”

“You know that Ginny was fighting them. The more they hovered around her with their wands pointing at her head and constantly making her drink those potions, the more she pushed them away. Not to mention the fact that it was tearing your Mum apart seeing her like that. Frankly, I think that it was a good decision, on their part, to let her come home now.”

Harry heard Ron huff but continued on. “Besides, considering that they are almost certain a Memory Charm was not used on her, there’s probably not as much they can do to help her recover her memory. Who knows…maybe your Mum’s right. Maybe if she’s around familiar people and places, she’ll start to remember things on her own. Besides, you know that the only way the Healers even agreed to let her leave so soon was with strict orders that she come back two times each week to be examined.”

“I know,” he sighed. “I just can’t believe that they weren’t able to heal her. For Merlin’s sake, that’s what they’re supposed to do!”

“Even Healers can only do so much, mate,” Harry stated honestly.

“Harry,” Mrs. Weasley called as she came into the kitchen. “Since she seems to be taking to you quite well, would you mind going to get Ginny and bring her back inside? It’s going to start raining any minute and I don’t want her getting sick…” Her soft voice trailed off in thought and Harry knew that she was desperately trying to hold back the tears.

“Sure, Mrs. Weasley. I’ll go fetch her,” Harry said with a light pat on her arm.

“Thank you, dear.”

----------------------------


“It’s about to start raining,” Harry’s voice called to her from across the yard as he began to gain ground.

“No it’s not. There’s not even a cloud in sight,” she lied as she looked up at the gray sky above her. She may have been good at acting with her mother, but he didn’t buy it. “Come on…come sit with me.” Ginny turned her head to watch him as he slowly approached and reached out her hand as he came nearer.

“Gin, I don’t want to sit. I want to take you inside where it’s warm and dry. We’ll play wizards’ chess or something.”

She huffed at his persistence. “You never want to sit by the lake with me.”

“That’s not true…I just don’t want to sit out here when it’s about to rain.” He waited to see if she might change her mind, but after a few minutes without any movement, he sighed and sat down next to her.

“We’re both going to be absolutely sick if it starts raining. You know that, right?”

“Well,” she noted behind a pleased smile “look at it this way…at least we’ll be sick together.” He chuckled at her as he leaned in to give her a playful kiss.

“You’re completely mental, but I’m mad about you anyway,” Harry teased. A comfortable silence fell over them and they sat there for a moment enjoying the peaceful solitude. Glancing at her out of the corner of his eye, he gave a small smile. “So, are you going to tell me the real reason you’re out here?”

“Eh, no special reason. I just needed to do some thinking, that’s all.” She was trying to shrug it off and he could tell.

”About?”

Ginny considered telling him that she just needed to get away from her brother and Hermione. Their constant discussion about Voldemort and Hermione’s persistant nagging about the identity of the Half-Blood Prince was becoming too much, not to mention their rowing. It wouldn’t have been a lie…not really. But she had to admit that even they seemed to have settled down over the past couple of weeks.

She couldn’t blame all of this on the two of them, though. And she didn’t dare tell Harry, but she was worried for him, worried about what would happen to him, what Voldemort might try to do to him.

Granted, she knew he could take care of himself and that Dumbledore would be there to help him, to protect him, but it didn’t stop her from worrying.

Instead, she lied. “Us; just trying to figure out when we might be able to fit in some good quality snogging time between my studying and your meetings with Dumbledore.”

Harry gave a curious smirk. “As intrigued as I am by that…you’re lying. Come on, Gin. I know you better than that.”

He tried reading the expression on her face as a silent battle within her waged. Actually, he was willing to bet a few Galleons that whatever was on her mind had to do with him. She hadn’t pushed him for information, wanting to know every detail about what he and Dumbledore had been up to, but she didn’t necessarily hide the fact that she curious about it. He also knew good and well that she wouldn’t own up to worrying about him unless she was provoked.

“Gin,” Harry spoke softly, “you don’t have to worry about me. I’ll be perfectly fine.”

She tried to play it off. “I didn’t say anything about being worried.”

“You don’t have to put on an act for me. You know that I can see right through it.” He reached for her hand, catching her slightly off guard, and held it gently in his. “I promise you, love, everything will be okay.” Bringing her hand up to meet his lips, he left traces of small kisses as he tried to ease her mind.

“Harry…I try not to worry, but…something just doesn’t feel right. Things have been far too settled lately. Doesn’t that seem the slightest bit strange to you?” She looked at him with sad eyes as he glanced up, meeting her gaze. He realized that this was far more serious than he thought.

“Things have been a little quiet lately, yes…but there’s no need to be concerned. It’s allowing Professor Dumbledore and me to get some other important things taken care of in the meantime.” She sighed with silent frustration at the fact that she still didn’t know what he was talking about and his eyes saddened with regret. “One of these days, Gin, I will tell you about all of this.”

She didn’t respond to him as a few slow drops of rain slowly began to fall. Instead, she sat there staring out across the lake, absentmindedly watching the giant squid make wide ripples with each splash.

He watched her quietly, wondering if she might say something, but as the rain started to pick up, she gave no indication of continuing the discussion.

“Come on; let’s go inside before we’re soaked through.” Offering his hand, she considered staying there, who cares if she ended up sick. But that momentary thought passed and she took his extended hand gingerly, allowing him to pull her up. They silently headed back to the castle, walking hand in hand, when a loud clap of thunder rolled across the sky. As if it had been a warning, a downpour of rain steadily grew harder until Harry and Ginny found themselves running for shelter.

Reaching the open stone covered walkway, they both darted out of the rain neither of them able to control their laughter as they caught sight of each other.

“So much for keeping dry,” Harry mused. Ginny looked up at his raven hair that normally stuck out in every direction. Now, it was flattened to his head and dripping wet. She tried to suppress her mirth but after failed attempts, she burst forth with a hearty chortle as she nearly doubled over in amusement.

“And what exactly is it that you find so amusing?” he asked with a perplexed look.

She could barely breathe. “Y-you…you look like…like a drowned rat.”

His mouth dropped open in shock. “Well, I’m glad to know what you really think of me.” He looked down at the robes that now clung to his body, then up at the strands of hair that were sending drops of water crashing onto his glasses. He could barely make out anything from the blurred images, but he imagined that she was probably right. However, he would not be one to admit it. Instead, he laughed right along with her.

As they finally began to recover, Harry leaned back against the wall and watched her occasionally giggle at their situation, hiding her mouth with her small hand. Letting a quirky smile spread across his face, he felt a familiar warmth fill his heart and at that moment, he realized…that he loved this girl. This girl that had so much tenacity, passion, spirit, courage, strength and sensitivity. He loved the way her vibrant red hair would cascade across her shoulders, the way she’d bite her lip when she was nervous or worried and that beautiful smile that could light up a room and always warm his heart. He loved everything about her, even the fiery temper of hers. But, gods, he was afraid that one day he might never see her again.

In a moment of simple peace, he reached out his hand and slowly traced his thumb along her cheek. Her giggles soon faded away as she watched his gaze darken on the sight of her mouth.

Sighing at his gentle touch, her eyes fluttered closed hearing each ragged breath that he breathed. She bit her lip in anticipation and could almost sense his kiss, it was nearly there. Make a move, she thought impatiently.

Harry gently brushed his nose against hers, teasing her beyond her limits. She didn’t know how much longer she’d be able to restrain herself from pushing him against the wall to claim what belonged to her.

And suddenly, there it was…his lips pressing fully on hers. It was strong, full of need and desire that she could feel with every heartbeat. His tongue traced her lips, begging for entrance. She opened her mouth and her heart to him, freely, as every essence of him swirled inside her.

After what seemed like hours later, he pulled away ever so slowly and pushed the falling strands of hair behind her ear. He scanned every inch of her face with such an intense emotion in his eyes before meeting hers.

Whispering softly, she sighed, “Oh, Harry…” Ginny wasn’t stupid. She knew exactly what was going through his mind.

“Things will be fine…really.” He tried to pass all of it off, as if it was just some job that he had to do.

She closed her eyes and shook her head. She was tired of thinking about looming dangers and battles that would come all too soon. This was a beautiful moment and something that was too few and far between for them to throw away.

“You understand, of course,” Ginny said, trying to lighten the mood, “that I don’t intend to spend my life without you. I just wanted to remind you of that.” She laid her head against his chest, pressing her body tight to his.

“Believe me, love. I haven’t forgotten, nor do I intend to.” She gave a half smile at his response and closed her eyes, willing her world to drift away so that they could remain in each others arms, forever.


“It’s about to start raining,” Ginny heard the raven-haired boy say as he knelt down beside her on the grass. She shook herself from the reverie and frowned at seeing him appear by her side so suddenly.

Had he not just said the same thing mere minutes ago? She tried to rid herself of the strange feeling that seemingly left her floating inside her own mind. What had just happened? Was it a dream? I must’ve fallen asleep or maybe I’m just imagining things. It couldn’t have been a…a memory. No, no…

“Ginny? Are you all right?” Harry said placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

“Yeah…I’m fine. I- I must’ve drifted off for a moment.”

“Well, your Mum…er, Mrs. Weasley wanted me to come and fetch you. She said it looks like rain and doesn’t want to see you getting sick.”

“I just want to sit out here for a bit longer. Do you…I mean, you don’t have to…but, you can sit with me, if you want.” She was hesitant to even suggest that he sit with her and now that the words had flowed from her lips, she was absolutely embarrassed.

“Er, well…” he stuttered. “Mrs. Weasley, she…”

“You never want to sit with me,” Ginny muttered before realizing what she’d actually said. The feeling of déjà vu caused her to stop immediately, silencing all conversation. To Harry though, it froze him to the core. He remembered a very similar conversation that the two of them had just a few months ago, when he found her sitting by the lake, alone.

He frowned, looking at her in silent shock, his mouth gaping slightly. Had she finally remembered something? He desperately wanted to ask her but as he continued to watch the expression on her face become troubled, he decided that now might not be the best time to bring it up.

“You’re sure that everything’s all right?”

“Yes…I’m sure. Why do you keep asking me?” She snapped, withdrawing from him.

“N-no reason, I just…” he paused, trying to form the right words in his mind. “If you ever need to talk to anyone…I’ll be here.” It was proving harder than he thought to regain her trust, seeing as she didn’t want to hear anything that he had to say at the moment. The dream or memory, whatever it was, had frightened her, making her feel cold and alone all over again.

With a sigh, he stood to his feet. “If you do decide that you want to talk with me…I wouldn’t tell anyone, you know, what we discuss, unless you want me to.” Harry stuck his hands in his trouser pockets nervously. “I just thought you should know that.”

Ginny turned, shyly watching him walk back towards the house and blushed suddenly when he stopped and looked back at her.

“Oh…and if you’d be so kind,” he added playfully, “could you possibly come back inside in the next few minutes? I’d prefer not to upset your Mum. She’ll probably be disappointed that you’re not coming inside with me now.” He gave her a sweet smile and watched the infamous Weasley blush cross her features. She could feel her face heating up again and cursed herself for acting like a silly girl every time he was near her.

Since she’d been released from St. Mungo’s and come back to this house that everyone kept calling the Burrow, she’d withdrawn herself from them. The majority of her days and evenings were spent either outside, within close proximity to the house mind you, or in the room that they said was hers. Nothing seemed recognizable”none of her surroundings or the people that were her family. Everything was foreign to her…except for two things, the music box…and Harry.

She couldn’t explain why she felt differently about them, nor could she recall anything, but the raven-haired boy and the music box seemed to bring some kind of warmth and happiness into this cold, unfamiliar world.

Ginny heaved a sigh and resigned to go back into the house. There was no doubt that someone would try recalling some story to her about the life that she couldn’t remember, but maybe, if she was lucky, she could escape the attention from everyone and head upstairs to call it an early evening.

-----------------------------------


The following evening brought uneasiness to Ginny. Tomorrow morning she would be returning to St. Mungo’s so that the Healers could determine whether she was making any progress.

Over the course of the last day, nothing appeared to have changed. She was still keeping her distance from everyone, including Harry. Just the thought of having to go back to St. Mungo’s was enough to make her retreat away from everything.

After dinner and a few games of wizard’s chess with Ron, Harry bid he and Hermione goodnight. Heading up to Ron’s bedroom, Harry stopped at Ginny’s door. He wanted to say goodnight, to let her know that everything was going to be all right in the morning, but he didn’t want to push her too far.

Quietly wrapping on her door, he opened it to find her standing at the window, staring out at the star-filled sky.

“I just wanted to say goodnight…”

“Oh…erm, goodnight,” she said demurely. He paused for a moment, wanting to say more but at a loss for words. Instead, he gave a small nod and began to close the door only stopping when he heard her call his name.

“Harry…”

“Yes?” he answered with hope in his eyes.

“I, erm…was wondering,” she swallowed nervously, “w-would you mind going with us to St. Mona’s tomorrow?” He couldn’t help but chuckle. Never had he heard St. Mungo’s called St. Mona’s before.

Ginny frowned at him. Why is he laughing? She found it rather rude and uncalled for.

“Well…if you didn’t want to go,” she said with a hurt look, folding her arms, “you could’ve just said so.”

Harry quickly stopped laughing and tried to apologize. “No…I didn’t mean-“ he paused, taking a deep breath. “I wasn’t laughing at you. It’s just that…you called it St. Mona’s. The name is actually St. Mungo’s. Although, I do think that I like your name better.” He saw her relax a bit and continued, attempting to recover from his insincerity.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you think that I was laughing at your question. That was wrong of me. But…yes, if the offer still stands, I’d be happy to accompany you and your parents to St. Mona’s tomorrow.” She let her arms drop to her sides, the corners of her lips flickering with a hint of a smile.

“It’s just that, I don’t want to be alone.” Ginny’s gaze fell from his, focusing on her fingers as they played with the edge of her nightshirt.

“You won’t be alone, Ginny. Your Mum and Dad will be there with you.”

She knew that they’d be there but, she still didn’t feel comfortable enough with them yet. “I think I’d just feel more at ease with you there.”

Without having to hear another word, he understood exactly what she meant and agreed. “Of course.”

She looked up, her eyes meeting his again and smiled in return before looking away, hiding her face from his intent gaze.

“Well…erm, goodnight then.” His voice was quiet and gentle when he spoke, just before closing the door.

“Goodnight,” she sighed with a whisper.

The next morning as they arrived at St. Mungo’s, her anxiousness and fear had returned despite the fact that Harry had come along with her. She’d nearly refused to see the Healers without Harry being present, but he reassured her that he’d be waiting just outside the room until they’d finished with her examinations.

Ginny reluctantly went with the Healers as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley watched from the small window in her door. Harry, on the other hand, settled into a nearby chair, expecting to wait for the long haul.

When Hermione arrived half an hour later, he quickly led her down the hall, past a few rooms, before uttering a word. He didn’t want the Weasleys overhearing their conversation.

“Thanks for coming,” he said in a hushed voice. “How did you manage to tear yourself away from Ron?”

“Oh, I told him that I needed to go to Madam Malkin’s to buy some new robes because some of mine are beginning to wear thin from our travels.” Harry cursed silently, remembering again that they were missing crucial time in their hunt for the Horcruxes. But right now was such a pivotal time for Ginny and he didn’t want to leave again without knowing that she was getting better. Not to mention, she might actually have seen who the three hooded figures were that entered The Three Broomsticks that day and until she got her memory back, they were left with no clues. Besides, they’d already decided that they would be coming home for Christmas and since the holiday was so close now, there was no need to rush things.

“…So, I told him I’d meet him at Slug and Jiggers Apothecary in half hour so that we could stock up on a few ingredients for potions that we’re running low on.” Harry shook his head as he recalled the discussion he was having with his friend.

“He’s probably perusing through Fred and George’s place right now, isn’t he?”

“You guessed it,” she confirmed. They both laughed quietly, lightening the moment.

“So…I got your Owl last night. You seemed a bit tense…is something going on?”

“Well,” he started carefully, “I’m not sure how to... Erm, do you remember the other night when we were all sitting inside and Mrs. Weasley asked me to go fetch Ginny? You know, she was sitting outside listening to the music box I gave her last term.” Hermione frowned, trying to recall exactly when he was speaking of and then suddenly inhaled a deep breath. She nodded to him when she realized the evening he was referring to.

“That night…Ginny said something that reminded me of a conversation we had a few months ago at Hogwarts. I swear, Hermione, she said some things that were word for word, the exact same as she said them then.”

“What?” Hermione’s eyes grew wide with shock. “Do you think she remembered something?” she asked, the hope in her voice clear.

“I don’t know. She had this look on her face when she said it, as if it seemed familiar to her. But then, she became frightened and pulled away from me.” Harry stopped to watch her quietly thinking to herself. “I just wanted to see what you could make of it. What do you think?”

The bushy-haired girl opened her mouth to say something but shook her head. “I don’t know, Harry.” He let out a deep sigh of regret. He’d silently hoped that Hermione might have an answer to his question, but in reality, she was just as befuddled as he was.

“Have you told Mr. and Mrs. Weasley or the Healers yet?” she continued.

“No…I was afraid to,” he admitted.

“Afraid? Why?”

“She already pulled away from me once…and that was for asking one simple question. If I tell Healers and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, they’ll overwhelm her with questions. The Healers will do more examinations on her and honestly, if they do that, I have a feeling that she’ll fully withdraw herself from everything and everyone, then where will we be? Exactly where we are right now: nowhere” Harry’s eyes pleaded with her to understand his reasoning.

“You’ve got a point there…” said Hermione.

“I think that we should let her come to us in her own time. That way we won’t hinder her progress, should she remember more. Who knows, maybe she’ll come around sooner if we let her take things into her own hands. You know, no pressure, no excessive recollecting the past…” She nodded in agreement.

“One thing’s for sure,” he continued, “we need to find out what happened that day at The Three Broomsticks and I have this feeling that she knows more than we suppose she might. I mean…think about it. Why else would she yell my name? I know her far too well, and if she was sneaking around after us, as I imagine she was, she wouldn’t have purposely tried to get my attention.”

“Of course! Why didn’t I think about it when you first told us what happened? Ginny had to have known that the pub was about to be blown up.” Hermione rubbed her eyes in frustration. “But Harry…with her not being able to recall anything, I don’t know that there’s anything that we can do until she remembers something.”

Harry set his jaw, “I know…I know. I just…” he let out a deep sigh as he collapsed into the nearest chair. “There’s got to be something we’re missing here. Are you sure there wasn’t anyone else in the building when you and Ron went back to check?”

“We checked as best we could before the Magical Law Enforcement Squad arrived. It didn’t give us much time. They just tried to hurry everyone off once questions were asked.” She gave a regretful look, sitting down in the seat next to her friend. “I tried to skirt around them as much as possible, while Ron played decoy, but they caught on to me. That’s when we caught up with Madam Rosmerta and asked her if she’d noticed anything out of the ordinary.”

“I have this strange feeling that those three men weren’t the only ones in that back room,” he said more to himself. “Did Rosmerta notice if anyone else went in? Did she say if anything seemed out of place that day? Did she even notice that Ginny had come in?”

“I don’t know…”

Harry started to say something when they both looked up at the sound of Healer Davidson’s voice. Shite…when had he left her room? he thought, just before Mr. Weasley looked in his direction, waving for Harry to rejoin them.

“Listen…I’ve got to get back,” he stood up quickly; Hermione did the same. “Do me a favor, you and Ron try to find Madam Rosmerta and see if she can tell us any more than what we already know.”

“Okay,” the brown-haired witch nodded. She watched Harry carefully as his head fell into his chest, trying to regain his composure. “It hurts me to see you suffer this way,” she admitted.

“I’ll be fine, Hermione. I just need to be strong for her.”

“And who’s going to be strong for you?” He looked up at her slowly, with shinning emerald eyes. At that moment the young witch knew, if things didn’t get better soon, it would be his undoing.

Giving him a quick hug and smile, she stepped into the nearest empty grate and immediately Flooed Ron.

After Hermione left, Harry ran down the corridor to where Mr. and Mrs. Weasley now stood with Healer Davidson.

As he approached them, Arthur turned his attention to the boy who’d been like a son to him all of these years. Harry could tell that the man was in agony over the state that his daughter was in, but he refused to fail. He vowed he’d be strong for his family and he wasn’t about to let them down.

“Harry,” Mr. Weasley said, cautious of how his voice was wavering. He cleared his throat and continued on. “She’s asking for you, m’boy.”

He looked around at Mrs. Weasley’s worried face as she clenched her handkerchief over her mouth. Mr. Davidson stood there with a rather perturbed air about him despite his feigning look of concern.

“What’s the matter? Did something happen?”

“Well, er…” Ginny’s father said causing his wife to let out a small, muffled cry.

“Mr. Potter,” Mr. Davidson interrupted, “during the process of Miss Weasley’s Healing examinations, we believe that her mind overreacted sending a series of shock waves throughout her brain which, in turn, caused her subconscious to reject any further response to our testing.” Harry furrowed his brow with a perplexed look and blinked furiously.

“Laymen’s terms, Mr. Davidson…please.”

With a look of possibly further annoyance, he obliged. “Miss Weasley, while being tested to see if any progress has been made, is resisting our process. While she doesn’t seem to realize this, her subconscious has put up a wall in her mind which is not allowing us to decipher what thoughts, fears, emotions lie hidden within her.”

“Occlumency?” Harry muttered to himself. He vaguely noticed the Healer as he nodded in answer. “But…she doesn’t know Occlumency. Does she?” Molly and Arthur shrugged as his questioning eyes found them. “How can she do Occlumency if she has never learned how?”

“Some people, Mr. Potter, are gifted beyond their knowledge. Often times, with these cases, subjects are known to have gained certain talents because of past traumatic experiences, much like yourself.” The raven-haired wizard gritted his teeth as the Healer continued. “But there are some who inherit such gifts from someone in their lineage. This may simply be the case, unless she has learned the ability without your knowledge,” he said, looking around at the three of them.

Harry frowned, “Why would you even try using Legilimency on her? You are fully aware of certain instances from her past. What were you thinking?” he asked, accusatorily.

“Well, I….er, we didn’t-” Healer Davidson fumbled over his words.

“Didn’t what?” Harry snarled. “You didn’t think it would make a difference? Didn’t think that it would be a problem? Didn’t think it would mess with her mind any more than it already had been?!” He voice steadily grew louder, drawing the attention of several nurses and other visitors that occupied the wing.

“Mr. Potter, I would ask that you please calm yourself.”

“I’ll calm myself,” he said, “when you tell me what the bloody hell you were thinking!”

“The only way we were going to be able to learn anything about her condition was to use Legilimency,” Healer Davidson added, trying to silence the young man. “The damage that was done to her lies deep in her mind. This is the best means for us to be able to find exactly what is holding her back from further recovery.”

“You could’ve at least informed the family about what procedures you would be using on Ginny!” His angered tone continued to ring out until Mrs. Weasley’s wavering voice silenced him.

“Harry, dear…” she spoke with tears shinning in her eyes as Mr. Weasley wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She shook her head slightly, pleading with him not to press on.

“After what’s happened today, how will it affect her further recovery?” Harry asked through gritted teeth, looking back at the Healer.

“We’re hoping that it won’t hinder her recovery at all. However,” he paused, “there is a possibility that she will not respond to the continued examinations, as we hope she would. We’ll have to take things as it comes. For now, I’d like to postpone her checkups until after the holiday. This’ll give her mind time to relax, to let down her defenses.”

Harry looked to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley who were listening intently to Healer Davidson. They were both shaking with worry and immediately his thoughts went back to Ginny. What had they been thinking when they decided to use Legilimency on her? And how does she know Occlumency?

The Healer’s voice interrupted his thoughts. “I suggest that you all continue leading your lives as normal. This might help her remember things on her own.”

“I’m going to go on in and see if she’s all right,” he said to Ginny’s parents, not really caring to hear anything else that the Healer had to say. They both gave him an understanding nod as he moved to the door, cautiously pushing it open.

As he entered the room, he caught sight of her huddled on the bed, cradling her knees. She was rocking back and forth slightly and he could hear her shaky breath with every inhale and exhale.

The door creaked shut behind Harry and she sprang alert, looking at him wildly and brandishing her wand.

“It’s just me!” he said, slightly alarmed at the fact that she had her wand to begin with. “It’s Harry,” he added, reassuringly. “Where, in Merlin’s name, did you find your wand anyway?”

Breathing a sigh of relief, Ginny let her hand fall to the bed. “I found it in my room at the…er, Burrow,” she frowned somewhat. “I’m so…I’m sorry,” her voice quivered faintly. “I thought you were that man.”

“Who? Healer Davidson?”

Her jaw tensed and she nodded. “I don’t want to see him anymore.”

“Well, you won’t have to worry about him. We don’t have to come back for another visit until after the holiday.” Harry smiled as he crossed the room to sit on the edge of her bed.

“No,” she persisted. “I don’t want to see him ever again. If they’re going to make me come back for any other visits, I want a new Healer.” Harry’s eyes studied her and she dropped her gaze nervously.

“Did something happen, Ginny?” He asked quietly, stretching his hand out to meet hers. He didn’t know what could’ve possibly happened to make her act like this.

“It’s just…I don’t want him to be my Healer.”

“Okay. We’ll get you a new Healer before your next visit.” Harry moved closer to her, rubbing her arm tenderly. “We’ll work everything out.”

She nodded tentatively and he wrapped an easy arm around her in a half hug when she leapt into his arms. His eyes flew open with surprise as she held tightly to him. Her entire body was shaking frightfully and he rubbed her back, attempting to comfort her as best he could.

“Gin, what’s the matter?” he whispered into her ear. He was so worried for her. With the state the she was in, he didn’t know what to expect.

She shook her head a little against his shoulder, her red hair making small movements over her back. The flowery scent that was only her filled his senses and he closed his eyes, feeling each ragged breath shudder through her.

He hesitantly reached his hand up to her head, stroking her hair and trying his best to calm her nerves.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Mrs. Weasley slowly push open the door to find her daughter in Harry’s arms. He could barely see that she was beginning to tear up again as she covered her mouth, once more, with her handkerchief.

He gave a small gesture with his hand, hoping that she’d understand that he just needed a minute or two more with Ginny. Thankfully, she did and nodded as she backed out of the hospital room.


A/N: I know it’s been a while since I’ve updated this story, but seeing as I’ve recently finished my multi-chaptered fic, Coming Home, hopefully I’ll have more time to dedicate to this story. Thanks for reading and drop me a line to let me know what you think.