Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Satellites and Sentiments by plusdracoequalslove

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: After a long wait.. here it is! One of my absolute favorites!
Hermione’s heart fluttered and her breath quickened as she carefully she walked down the stairs. The light shimmered off her dress and her hot breath heated her skin.
All eyes were on her. Her face glowed pink and she smiled graciously. Glancing at Cedric’s hand holding hers, she looked into the distance where a dark figure stood. Cedric offered her his arm, but she did not take it and instead floated to her date’s side.

More and more people were beginning to stare. The striking contrast between her angelic beauty and his dark, strong figure drew more attention to themselves. The air around them hung still in awe of their perfection.

Cedric let out a sigh. He turned over his right shoulder and saw Cho. Walking towards her, he took his place beside his date to wait for the procession to start.

The hall doors opened. The music began on cue. Blue light beamed from the hall and a thousand happy faces were glowing.

Dancing with Cho was a burden. He masked his disappointment well and bringing her in close, he pretended she was not who she appeared. He struggled to find happiness by her side so he closed his eyes and let the world slip away from him. The scent of cinnamon whirled around the dance floor in whips of blue and white and the crystalline glasses sparkled when tickled with starlight, reflecting a joy Cedric could not experience.

“Are you having a good time, Er-my-ninny?” Viktor whispered hotly into her ear.

“The best,” she replied. Stardust danced between their eyes. Giggles left their lips and played like children only to run when shadow flanked them.

Leading Cho nearer to Hermione was not Cedric’s intention. However, as though a power from the Cosmo’s had propelled him, he advanced to her leading his beast of burden. Quietly he gazed upon her looking away as often as he could spare.

The scent of peppermint tickled Hermione’s senses and pushing away old feelings brought anew, she buried herself in the strong, stone body of Viktor.

Resting her face on Viktor’s chest, Hermione watched Ron and Harry fight back and forth over a mug of butterbeer. She tittered softly. Feeling eyes burning on the back of her head, she looked to the side and caught a glimpse of Cedric.

He looked away quickly, breathing deeply and fondly playing with Cho’s hair. He closed his eyes and pretended to be enjoying his dance with her. Cho tossed back her head and laughed at nothing. She tried to look deeply into Cedric’s eyes but was turned down.

Hermione felt uncomfortable and she turned away. Viktor sensed her discomfort and lead them off the dance floor.

“Wood you like some-ting to dreenk?”

“I would love something,” she replied and sat down.

Viktor returned with two Butterbeers and they seated themselves at a table. Hermione took the first sip and Viktor followed.

“So-- do you have any siblings?”

“Seeblings?”

“Brothers and sisters?”

“Oh yes, I have a seester.”

“What is her name?” she asked.

“Nadezhda.”

“Gesundheit!”

“Huh?” Viktor questioned and she froze.

“Oh-" she paused for a moment, "that’s her name! What a… lovely and… unique name!”

“Yes, Nadezhda was also ‘ze name of my grandmoder. She was very booty-full.”

“Is your sister beautiful also?”

“No, she ‘ees very man-like. She has great big arms and a leetle beet of a-- how do you say? Moo-stash problem.”

“Moo-stash? Oh you mean Mustache! She has a-- oh, how terrible.”

“My grandmoders booty meesed her. My father fears he weel never get reed of her,” he explained.

“Mhmm” grunted Hermione as she took another large gulp of Butterbeer.

“I have to yoose ‘ze men’s room, I shall come back soon.”

Hermione nodded from under her Butterbeer and watched him leave the hall. She looked out at the dance floor, shuddering when she saw Pansy Parkinson teasing Draco for a kiss. She saw Neville and Ginny doing a vivacious two-step around the dance floor.

Crabbe and Goyle were dancing with two small and frail Slytherin girls who she assumed must have been under the Imperious Curse as no one in their right mind would agree to attend any sort of public function with them. Her eyes fluttered from face to face until she saw Cedric and Cho dancing with one another. Jealousy tickled her insides as her gaze lingered.

“Er-my-ninny?” said Viktor from the doorway.

Hermione jumped slightly and turned around.

“Come, I vant to show you some-ting.”

“Sure,” she said and took one last glance at Cedric who was staring at her before getting up.

Viktor put out his arm for her and she accepted it. He led her gently down the hallway until they reached a window.

“It’s very beautiful outside tonight,” Hermione said.

“You look very booty-full tonight.”

“Thank you,” she said, masking the discomfort in her voice.

“Ve do not have girls like you where I come from.”

“They all have mustaches in Bulgaria?” she joked.

“Actually… yes, they do,” he laughed.

Hermione smiled and looked out onto the grounds once more.

“I love how you did yoar hair tonight,” Viktor said awkwardly and brushing aside her hair he closed his eyes and leaned in.

She stood in shock for moment or two, wondering why Viktor was pushing out his lips and making for her face. Clueing in, she thanked her quick reflexes while she ducked left to get out of the path of Viktor’s menacing lips.

“Umm…” Hermione said quickly, “Look at the bird!”

Viktor snapped his head upright and squinted out into the distance. Once convinced that he saw no bird, he looked back at Hermione.

“Oh darn, you’ve missed it! Maybe if we look really hard it will come back!”

“Er-my-ninny, I don’t think ‘dis is ‘de time for bird watching.”

“No. It’s not.”

“I saw de way Cedric Deegory was looking at you,” Vicktor said quietly and Hermione’s heart stopped for a moment. She knew this was coming...

“Cedric? He’s just a friend.”

“Does he know ‘zat?”

“He does, he was the one who suggested it.”

“Hmm…” he grunted.

“Viktor, I wouldn’t have come with you unless I wanted to,” she lied and Viktor smiled.