Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Diary of a Mad Little Owl by lily_writes

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
November 24, 1994

The Owlery, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, 8:20 pm




Dear Diary,



My name is Pigwidgeon, or Pig for short, as my new family calls me. That is because I am unable to tell them my proper name is really Patrick Ivan George William Isaac Daniel Gregory Edward Otis Nordman. And to think, my owner's sister, Ginny, had to change my lovely name to Pigwidgeon. Still, I managed to get revenge on my owner, a boy named Ron Weasley, by answering to that name only.



I've already delivered a couple of letters. One was to this Harry Potter kid, inviting him to a Quidditch World Cup. Oh, diary, don't be so surprised, just because I'm an owl doesn't mean I can't read. How else would we owls know who to bring our letters to? Sometimes I swear Ron thinks I'm stupid. Small and stupid are not the same thing; at least my first owner understood that. Some guy named Sirius Black, a real swell fellow. He sent me to his godson, Harry, with a letter, and wrote that Harry's friend, Ron, could keep me in the post script.



Ron, Harry, and their friend, Hermione, are all up here in the Owlery. Harry's written this long letter to his godfather. I wish I knew what it says. I pity the owl who has to take the letter; it looks like it weighs two pounds. If I weighed two pounds, I'd look like a flying watermelon. With all the bacon Ron offers me whenever I bring him a letter, I could look like one by the time he leaves school. Whenever he gives me bacon or anything like that, I spit in his juice or cereal, whichever one is closer and hasn't finished with yet. But I'm getting off track. I'm supposed to be talking about Ron and his friends.



Oh, now I remember. Harry's owl, Hedwig, told me a few weeks ago that Harry can't send her to Sirius anymore. Now Ron's looking up into the rafters, searching for me, no doubt. That massive letter's for me. I'll have to act really hyper to get on Ron's nerves, maybe Harry's too, for wanting to strap that giant letter to me. I know, I'll fly around his head and make Ron catch me while I hoot constantly. That'll teach them.



~*~




Later on that day


A cave, Hogsmeade Mountain, 9:17 pm




I sure am glad Sirius is hiding close by Hogwarts. When he saw me, he smiled and offered some of the tomato he had nicked from a garden in the village outskirts. This is one of the reasons I like Sirius so much. He gave me some food even though he doesn't have much.



Since this is my diary, I'm going to write about my journey here and why it took me an hour to get around to writing this.



After Ron caught me, Harry tied the letter to my leg and Ron carried me to the window. Once there, he tossed me out of the Owlery. The heavy letter dragged me down about a dozen feet before I could regain height. Once I was out of sight of the Owlery, I landed and used the special "tracking device" all owls have. I don't believe any human knows about them. You see, all witches and wizards have a special device they are born with, and, even though they can see it, they don't know that it's actually their nose. Every nose is different, and every owl is born with a magical tracking system inside their body. So we just think of who we're looking for, and we know where they are within a two-foot range. Going back to my delivery, it took me ten minutes to find Sirius and discover he was hiding in the mountain cave in Hogsmeade. When I got to the cave, he wasn't there. But something about the cave made me really sleepy, so I found this big, feathery pillow with a bit of a horse's body at one end. I was so tired I didn't have any suspicions.



When I woke up, I was staring into the fiery, orange eyes of a hippogriff I've only seen once before. He snapped his beak at me and I flew up into the air (as fast as I could with the letter still attached to my leg) and away from him when a big, black, shaggy dog squeezed in through the narrow opening and transformed into Sirius. He pulled a tomato and two dead rats from his mouth. He tossed the rats to the hippogriff before noticing me, and I came down to his eye level. I landed on his outstretched hand and allowed him to relieve me of Harry's letter. Once he had the letter in hand, he offered me the piece of tomato. I tried to fly off with it but he insisted that I stay till morning.



Good night,
Patrick Ivan George William Isaac Daniel Gregory Edward Otis Nordman

~*~
A/N: Hi all! I just thought I'd show cute little Pigwidgeon from a different angle. Writing from inside the mind of an animal that can't talk can be so fun. Hope you had some fun reading this, and I hope you like his "real name" (hint hint). ;)