Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Beginning of the End by Ozma333

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Presents, surprises, and what will come next. Harry’s birthday at the Burrow.
DISCLAIMER: If I actually owned any of these characters, you would not be reading this for free! We all know this is all thanks to JKR!



Plans and Phoenix Protections




Harry, Ron and Hermione all arrived with a soft pop on the lane leading directly to the Burrow. Harry’s stomach clenched as soon as he took his first steps towards the front door. This would be the first time he saw Ginny after their break-up. Harry knew he had to keep his resolve. He knew that he did not, under any circumstances, want to get back together with Ginny.


“Don’t worry mate,” Ron said confidently to Harry, correctly interpreting Harry’s resistance to approaching the front door. “If I know my sister, she won’t be too rough on you.” Ron had been un-expectantly supportive of Harry’s decision. After his initial anger when Harry told him, he agreed with Harry that it was probably safer for Ginny if they broke up. Hermione was surprisingly irritated at Harry. She immediately told him he was being a foolish git (at which Harry and Ron gaped at her wordlessly, never having heard Hermione use the word before). Ron marched up to the door while Harry hesitated. “I’ll bet she didn’t even tell Mum you two went out!”


Harry didn’t know exactly what he wanted, but he did know he was devastated by the break-up. He only hoped that Ginny was doing better than he felt.


“But she misses you,” Hermione whispered encouragingly in Harry’s ear. “So, be kind to her.” Harry looked questioningly at Hermione. “Just take her lead,” she explained.


Ron knocked on the Burrow’s front door. The trio could hear a rush for the door.


“Who’s there?” a woman’s voice asked from the other side of the door.


“It’s me, Mum,” Ron replied, “Ron.”


“Ask him the question, Molly!” a male’s voice rang out sharply, as the trio heard a bolt slide back into place.


“Really, Arthur!” the women’s voice bustled back. “I was going to! Ronald, what did Fred and George try to get you to agree to with an Unbreakable Vow?”


Ron’s ears colored red. “That I’d wear a pink dress on my first day at Hogwarts.”


Harry and Hermione roared with laughter as the front door swung open and they were pulled into a tight hug from Mrs. Weasley. All three were greeted with a round of hugs from a sea of redheads and one slivery blonde, but the one redhead Harry was seeking out wasn’t present.


“Why do all our safety questions have to be so embarrassing?” Ron mumbled as he made his way to the table.


“Charlie, be a dear, and fetch Ginny for me,” Mrs. Weasley asked her son as she sat Harry, Ron, and Hermione down to three bowls of onion soup and a loaf of bread. Harry’s stomach did a back flip.


“Sure thing, mum,” Charlie replied as he jumped up and roared up the stairs. “Oi! Ginny! Company!”


“Well, I could have done that,” Mrs. Weasley muttered in disapproval, passing out three spoons to the newcomers.


“You’d think I was three countries away, the way you yelled…” the most beautiful girl Harry had ever laid eyes on muttered as she made her way down the stairs. She was wearing a casual summer dress with her hair let down; Harry thought she looked gorgeous. On the last step, her eyes met Harry’s and he thought he saw a flash of sadness before a boisterous smile hid it away.


“Ron! Hermione! Harry!” Ginny exclaimed brightly, as she made her way over to the three. “I forgot you were coming today!” Ginny made her way over to where they were sitting and enveloped Hermione in a cheery hug. She punched her brother Ron in the arm, who merely grunted before turning back to his soup, and then gave Harry a playful push. “Happy Birthday, Harry!”


“Thanks, Ginny,” Harry gulped in response before turning back to choke down mouthfuls of his onion soup, trying not to look conspicuous.


“So, boys, how did the test go?” Mrs. Weasley asked, with her eyes casting a flicker of what Harry thought was suspicion towards Ginny.


“Well, what can we say,” Ron swaggered in response as he whipped out his Apparition License and threw it on the table.


“You could say it took you two times to pass, Ickle Ronnikins,” George said eagerly, as though he were waiting for the subject to come up. Fred’s face lit up.


“Well, as a prefect with seven O.W.L.S. to his name, he didn’t want to embarrass his twin brothers by beating them at everything,” Hermione interjected smoothly, with a smirk on her face. The entire table stopped to stare at Hermione, who returned to her soup as though nothing had happened. Ron’s ears went red; Mrs. Weasley had a surprised, yet pleased, look on her face; Ginny started clapping; and Fred and George stood stunned with their mouths hanging open.


“Dammit, Hermione!” Fred started.


“We’ve been looking forward to taking the mickey out of Ron for ages now!” George continued.


“And now you’ve gone and spoiled it,” Fred finished with a glum expression. The twins slumped into a corner as normal conversation returned to the table.


More to keep his attention away from Ginny, who was being dragged into an emotional wedding discussion between Fleur and Mrs. Weasley, Harry leaned into Hermione and whispered, “Nice one!”


Hermione blushed before responding. “I’ve been thinking of a good dig all afternoon,” she responded in hushed tones. “I just knew they were going to try and say something about the whole license thing!” she snorted.


Harry laughed in response; no one could take the edge off Ron like Hermione could.


“Why don’t you three go upstairs and unpack?” Mrs. Weasley suggested after the trio had finished their late lunch. “Supper will be ready soon; I’ll call you.”


“Thanks, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry answered as he drained the last of his soup. Harry, Ron, and Hermione made their way to the stairs, levitating their luggage ahead of them.


~*~



“Better not go down just now,” Ginny said from the doorway to the room Harry would be sharing with Ron. Harry and Ron had just finished unpacking what they would need for the wedding.


“What’s up?” Hermione asked, joining the others in Ron’s room and sitting on the edge of Harry’s bed.


“Mum and Fleur,” Ginny replied with an exasperated look, still standing firmly in the doorframe, her eyes looking anywhere but Harry. “Who cares what kind of flowers the flower girls throws? All you do is step on them!”


“Wizard weddings have flower girls?” Harry asked, hoping Ginny would step into the room. It had suddenly occurred to him that he had never been to a wedding, even a Muggle wedding.


“Yeah, they’re pretty much the same as Muggle weddings, from what I’ve heard,” Ron replied, flopping back down on his bed. “There’s the guy who has you say the vows, a best man…”


“Charlie,” Ginny interrupted, eyes fixed on Ron.


“A maid of honor…” Ron continued.


“Matron of honor, Fleur’s mother,” Ginny interrupted again.


“And a flower girl,” Ron finished, shooting an annoyed look at his sister. “Did I forget anyone?” he asked grumpily.


“Yeah, the wedding party,” returned Ginny smiling, still barricading the doorway and avoiding Harry’s eye. “Gabrielle, Fred, George, you, and me.”


“Right, right...” Ron replied lazily.


Harry knew it was going to be hard to be at the Burrow for three days, trying to hide his feelings for Ginny. She wouldn’t look his way, she had a smile plastered to her face, and she wouldn’t step foot in the same room as him! Harry thought she would be upset with him. But, he was hoping their friendship would be strong enough to make it through this. He was hoping for some semblance of what their relationship was last summer, before he felt so strongly for her. The thought of losing his Ginny altogether scared him half to death. All he wanted to do at that moment was sweep her into his arms and snog her senseless. He wanted to scream, “Don’t you know this is killing me? Don’t you know I lo…”


“Ginny! Supper’s ready!” a hassled sounding voice came from the kitchen, bringing Harry’s attention back to the present moment.


“Be right down!” Ginny shouted back as Ron and Hermione made their way past her and down the stairs.


The battle raging in Harry’s mind since Dumbledore’s funeral had driven him half crazy. You’re doing it for her protection. You’ve made up your mind; now let it go! Forget about her! It’s over! But, he was finding it difficult to keep his resolve, especially with her looking so pretty and standing so close…


“Harry? Are you coming?” Ginny asked, but her eyes were cast downward. Harry hung back on purpose, reaching for Ginny’s forearm.


“Ginny…” Harry murmured softly, attempting to look Ginny in the eye. She kept her gaze decidedly fixed on the floor.

“Not now, Harry,” she responded softly. Harry thought he heard his heart break as Ginny broke the hold he had on her and started down the staircase. He knew he couldn’t be with her, but he didn’t think he could stand to have Ginny so distant…


~*~



“Surprise!” was yelled at Harry from every direction as he came down the stairs into the Burrow’s kitchen. Truthfully, he was upset when Ron and Hermione had only gotten him cards for his birthday. He didn’t say anything because he remembered the many birthdays in which he didn’t even get that. But, it was unusual for his two best friends to be so casual, especially on the birthday in which he became an adult. However, a surprise party hadn’t even occurred to him. Familiar faces smiled all around him. The whole Weasley family, including Fleur, stood around a table that held a large pile of gifts and an equally large cake that spelt out ‘Happy 17th Birthday Harry!’ in red and gold icing. An assortment of Order members including, Professor McGonagall, Mad Eye Moody, Remus Lupin, and Tonks, all stood close by.


“You didn’t think we’d let you get away without a birthday party, mate!” Ron exclaimed as he grabbed Harry’s arm and dragged him into the middle of the room.


“Really,” Hermione snorted, “I can’t believe you bought that whole card bit! As though we wouldn’t get you real presents on your birthday!”


Harry was speechless as he felt a lump rise in his throat for the second time that afternoon.


As usual, Ginny saved the day.


“Well, I’m starving!” she exclaimed brightly. “How about some dinner so we can get to that cake, Harry?”


“Love to,” Harry answered, finally finding his voice. “Thanks everyone, you have no idea…” he began before Bill cut him off with a wave of his hand.


“No emotional speeches just yet Harry! Maybe after we break out the Firewhiskey,” he added with a wink.


The whole party sat down to one of the most delicious meals Harry could ever remember having.


~*~



After a fantastic meal, seconds of birthday cake, and a pile a presents, though suspiciously no present from Ginny, the party retired into the living room. Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny all settled to a game of exploding snap. Hermione was ushered, Harry thought unwillingly, into a discussion comparing Muggle and wizard wedding traditions by Fleur and Mrs. Weasley. Charlie, Tonks, and Mad Eye were huddled in the corner having hushed conversations while Harry turned to talk with Professor McGonagall.


“Any news yet on whether or not they’ll keep Hogwarts open, Professor?” Harry asked his, now former, Transfiguration teacher.


“It’s not looking good, Potter,” Professor McGonagall replied grimly, sipping on some of the Firewhiskey Bill was now passing out.


“So, what would the students do then?” Harry continued after Bill filled his own glass to the brim with the noxious liquid.


“Home schooling, I suppose,” Professor McGonagall answered. “Though Muggle-born students would have no place to turn. If it comes to that, Professors Flitwick, Slughorn, Hagrid, Sprout, myself, and Madam Pomfrey have all decided to form a small school, for anyone who would like to attend.”


“I think that’s wonderful,” Lupin interjected into the conversation. “It wouldn’t be fair for the students who want to continue their education if the governors close Hogwarts.”


“Where would the school be located, Minerva?” Mr. Weasley asked, joining the group.


“They wouldn’t let you use Hogwarts?” Harry asked, confused.


“Unfortunately, no they would not, Potter,” Professor McGonagall replied with a grimace. “Letting us utilize Hogwarts would insinuate that the school governors were in support of wizarding families sending their children to school. Which, of course, they are not,” Professor McGonagall stated in disgust. “The other Professors and I have found a manor, on the outskirts of Hogsmeade, that will be suitable. It’s small, but we’re not expecting a very large turn out,” she added, her brisk mannerisms returning.


“Any luck on finding a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Minerva?” Lupin asked.


“Why don’t you do it, Professor?” Harry asked.


“I’m in too deep with the underground now,” Lupin replied dejectedly.


“Actually, we do have one applicant. He’s young, but more than qualified,” Professor McGonagall said in answer to Lupin’s question. “And, as he’s not in the Order, he has the time to devote to the job.”


Harry was about to ask who the candidate was, but Mad Eye Moody was summoning Professor McGonagall. Mr. Weasley left with Bill to locate additional Firewhiskey just as Harry was draining the last of his, willing his eyes not to stray towards Ginny.


Professor Lupin gave a meaningful glance between Harry and Ginny before asking, “It isn’t as easy as one thinks, is it?”


“What?” Harry was startled out of his thoughts.


“Forgetting about her, pretending you don’t care,” Lupin answered, sipping his own Firewhiskey.


“I…I don’t know what you mean,” Harry stammered back, unable to look his old teacher in the eye. Professor Lupin motioned Harry towards the empty kitchen.


“I’ve forced many people in my life away,” Lupin continued seriously as though he hadn’t heard what Harry had just said. “I thought that being close to me would put others in too much danger.” Lupin looked at Harry intently, who kept his eyes focused on his Firewhiskey, “Does this sound at all familiar?”


“Professor,” Harry had been desperate to ask about this since he first heard it, “did my parents really break-up before they got married?”


Lupin burst out into laughter. “I completely forgot about that! Who told you?”


“My Aunt Petunia, she said mum cried her eyes out, said mum called dad a ‘noble git,’” Harry responded nervously.


“Yes, Harry,” Lupin responded, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes, “your dad truly was a noble git. He did break-up with your mum. She was so upset with him,” Lupin smiled fondly at the memory.


“So, how did they get back together?” Harry asked tentatively, acutely aware of the similarities between his parents situation and his own.


“Sirius and I told him what a prat he was being, said having Lily around made him a better wizard,” Lupin replied without hesitation. “It’s really true, you know. Love does strengthen a person. Take Nymphadora and myself,” Lupin broke eye contact for the first time and focused on his nearly empty glass, “our spell work really has never been stronger,” Lupin said quietly, but with conviction, as he finished his Firewhiskey. Harry looked up and over at Ginny.


“Thanks, Professor,” he said in earnest. “I’ll think about it.”


Lupin patted Harry on the back. “You truly are just like your father,” he chuckled before he made his way over to Tonks.


~*~



After several more glasses of Firewhiskey a story or two, and an excellent indoors fireworks display from the twins; the guests departed while Mrs. Weasley maneuvered the rest of her family out of the kitchen so she could clean, as she put it, “Without you lot under my feet!” Harry, slightly lightheaded from his third glass of Firewhiskey, decided to make his way to the garden to sort his head. The starlight was just bright enough for Harry to make out an old garden gnome attempting to sneak into the Weasley’s garden over the fence. Harry chuckled softly to himself, thinking that he was going to miss those funny little creatures when he left the Burrow only days from now.


“Hi,” a small voice said softly behind him.


“Hi,” Harry responded fondly, recognizing the voice as Ginny Weasley’s as she moved in beside him.


“I wanted to give you your birthday present, but not in front of everyone…” she trailed off quietly as she handed Harry a small, brightly wrapped box.


Harry held the box in his hand. “You didn’t have to...” he returned, his voice faltering.


“It’s alright,” Ginny returned sadly, “I already had it before we broke up,” she finished, laughing softly. “Open it, I have to explain a bit.”


Harry unwrapped the colorful paper, opened the box’s lid, and found a small, familiar looking stone attached to a leather band. The stone was almost wrinkled, and colored opaque with vague flashes of bright red emanating from the center. Harry knew it had seen something like it before, but he couldn’t quite place it…


“It’s a bezoar, well a type of a bezoar really,” Ginny started shyly. “This one’s from the stomach of a phoenix.” Harry fingered the small stone carefully, smiling tenderly at Ginny as she continued. “Phoenix bezoars are very special; they are known not only for their ability to work as an antidote for poison, but also to protect the wearer from physical harm. Fred and George helped me find this one when they were researching their shield merchandise for the Ministry employees. It’s meant to extend health, ward off negative energies, and attract luck,” Ginny recited these traits as she counted off on her fingers. Harry thought she had never looked cuter. “I also preformed the Trocair Charm on the it. The charm works by extending the,” Ginny faltered for the first time since she started her explanation and cast her eyes downward, “...intense… feelings of the charm’s caster to the wearer of the object charmed.” Her eyes traveled slowly to Harry’s face, her voice becoming quiet. “I thought you could use a little extra luck…”


“I don’t know what to say…” Harry started, his throat constricting. “This is the most….you are the most….wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. You have no idea how much this means…” Harry stammered. “Thank you so much,” he said sincerely, reaching for her hand.


Ginny withdrew her hand from Harry’s reach. “That’s not all, Harry. I have something I need to say to you.” Something in her voice caused Harry’s stomach to lurch.


“Ok,” Harry nodded, apprehensive.


“You really hurt me, Harry.”


Harry looked up; ready to protest. Arguments were furiously formulating in his mind. I didn’t break up with you because I wanted to! I had to. I have to protect you. I’m too dangerous to be involved with you. You said you understood!


Ginny shook her head, as though reading his mind. “I’m not talking about our break-up. I said I understood why you did that, and I still do. I told you then that I knew you wouldn’t be happy unless you were fighting Voldemort.” Ginny stopped to take a deep breath. “I told you then that I knew what was coming. You told me you had ‘things to do alone now.’ But, you’re not going alone are you?”


Harry looked guilty up at Ginny.


“Ron and Hermione are going with you aren’t they?” she continued. This was a Ginny that Harry had never seen. As she held eye contact with Harry, her tone was calm and her voice was level. In the past, if something angered her she would explode, scream and yell, become enraged at the injustice of it all. Yet, here she was now, quiet and composed, no longer a child.


Harry could think of no other response than a quick nod, breaking the eye contact that Ginny had held so firmly up to that point.


Ginny took another deep breath of the warm night air. “I thought so,” she responded quietly, turning her eyes towards the inky sky. “I’m sorry, Harry. I think I deserve better than that.”

Harry gulped. “Ginny,” he started, “it’s just...I...I can’t tell you anything that would…” Harry trailed off, trying to carefully choose the right words. “I can’t tell you anything that anyone would want to…torture...you for,” Harry stopped suddenly at these words, his heart pounding. “I couldn’t bear the thought of you being a target for my enemies. I can’t do that to you, and I could never concentrate if I thought you were in danger,” Harry finished firmly.


“And yet, you can trust Ron and Hermione. You haven’t even told me anything you’re planning. I’ll have no idea were you’ll be. I have no way to know if you’re in danger,” Ginny’s voice broke, tears forming in her eyes. “I thought I had proven myself far beyond this. After the Ministry, after last year in the Astronomy Tower...”


“It’s not that I don’t trust you, or think of you as capable,” Harry said affectionately. “It’s me, I don’t think I can handle having you in harm’s way.”


“I’m already in harm’s way, Harry. Look at mum’s clock, all of the family’s hands are pointing to ‘mortal peril.’ Mine’s there, even after we broke up,” Ginny responded firmly. “And, as for ‘having me in harm’s way,’ if you think I’m going to sit this war out, you are sorely mistaken!”


“Ginny, please, I need you to stay safe,” Harry begged, unnerved by the fierceness of her last comment. Please don’t do anything stupid, Ginny!


“I’m not going to do anything reckless,” Ginny responded exasperatingly, once again reading Harry’s mind. “I was talking to Professor McGonagall earlier,” she started tentatively, “if Hogwarts doesn’t open, I’ll enroll at the school she’s starting. It would keep me close to whatever’s going on,” she said with a shrug of her shoulders. “Mum tries to keep everything from me; but, Professor McGonagall knows I want to help. She agreed to have Madam Pomfrey start Elementary Healers lessons with me. If that’s the only way I can be of use, well then...” she trailed off sadly.


“Ginny...” Harry started.


“It’s just not fair to ask me to be someone I’m not, Harry!” Ginny continued, not hearing Harry’s soft murmuring. “I thought you cared for me because of my spirit, my fierceness…”


“I do, Ginny,” Harry interjected in earnest, “that’s one of my favorite - ”

“Then how can you ask me to give that up? To change completely!” Ginny demanded. “How can you expect me to stay at home, like a good girl, and wait for the grown-ups to make the world safe for me?”


Harry saw flashes of anger in Ginny’s eyes. He grabbed her hand, despite her earlier protests, as he let out a sigh and gazed into the star dotted sky. He was angered at the injustice of the world, angry that he was hurting the one person he truly cared for, angry that couldn’t see any other way for things to be…


“I’m sorry, Harry,” Ginny said gently. “All I meant to say was that I’m not going to just stand by and not try to help. I’m going to do everything I can, on my own, to contribute to the end of this war. I just wanted you to know that,” she finished softly, leaning into Harry and giving him a kiss on the cheek. As she turned to head back into the Burrow, Ginny stopped, her back to him. “Goodnight, Harry.”


“Goodnight, Ginny.” Harry thought he saw her wipe a stray tear from her cheek before striding confidently, with her head held high, into the Burrow.












Thanks goes out to by beta reader Asphyxiated, who helped me clean the mess up!