Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Bound by lily_evans34

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This was sort of a last minute thing to write for me, so please tell me what you think!

A cold winter breeze rustled my wings, and I anxiously took flight from the ledge I was perched upon. As I soared further and further away from the castle, the world as a whole came into view. The ground was coated with a thin layer of snow, and the trees swayed slightly in the breeze. I could see the students down below, huddling together to keep warm. I flew higher, and I could see the castle of Hogwarts. It was faintly illuminated in the warm glow of the sunlight, giving it a transcendent appearance. I wanted to linger there, if only for seconds more, to marvel at its beauty. As many times as I’ve seen it, it still catches me, day after day. How is it that one single thing can be so magnificent? How is it that a single place can be the home of so many memories?



I continued to fly on, watching the scenery change as I did so. I flew more towards the woods, staring at the trees- obscured by the fallen snow. After flying for a while, I landed upon one of them, settling in, searching my surroundings for any sign of food. With the snow, it was easier to spot any movement, as the snow left tracks behind so easily. And yet, I stayed perched there for what seemed like forever, just waiting. Waiting patiently for anything to come. And it may as well have been forever that I waited, for when I turned back towards the castle, the skies were darkened, and the warm glow of sunshine was no longer visible.



I glanced down to the ground. I could see the boy, Harry, down below. He was standing with his two friends; he never seemed to go anywhere without their company. He was wearing a stiff, hollow expression. Even from where I flew, up above, I could tell that. Lately he always seemed to be that way. He always seemed distracted. I wondered what he was thinking about, day after day. I wondered what was going on that caused the sudden change in him.



I had been noticing that for a while. After years of sitting in my cage, just studying him, the change had been obvious. He had become more and more distant; to me, and to his friends. If only I knew what was going on with him. But he hadn’t told me, and so I would not know. He must have a hard life, having to deal with problems each day that I remained ignorant to.



And I found myself wondering, as I had so many other times, what it was like to be bound. I always had the option of flying away, just to escape. He never did. He was stuck where he was, being forced to deal with the circumstances. I wished I knew what that was like. I didn’t know how I would live, if I couldn’t just take off, and soar away from my problems. In a way, it seemed like taking the easy way out. But, I didn't think that I could do anything else. I don’t think that I would be able to deal with everything he was going through, without being able to fly away. He was stronger than me. Stronger, and braver. It was the way he always had been.



As I glanced at him again, I felt a stab of sympathy for him. For not having options. For being born into one life and having to stay there. For having his fate and his existence already planned out. For me, if I ever wanted to, I could leave. Just go and start a new life. It was that simple. For me, at least.



I had always thought that he was content with the life he was born into. Until seeing him, recently. Maybe no one else saw the evident change in him, but I did.



I always thought that I was content with my life, until recently. I had lived in few homes before, though none of them were worth staying in. None of my previous owners had had thoughts to spare on me. I was never important to anyone. Until Harry. He was always kind to me; the way I had thought that owners should be. But lately, his distant manner was affecting not only his friends, but me as well. He had been spending less and less time with me. I try to tell myself this is temporary, though I can hardly believe that. Maybe it’s just the way he’s become. I don’t want it to be like that. I want him to be different. He was different. So I told myself to wait. Wait for everything to be alright again. I’ve tried flying away and leaving, but I’ve found that I can’t do that.



And I realized that I, too, am bound. Not by the many cages that have held me, or by the fate I was born into. I was bound by love.