Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Hidden by Marauder by Midnight

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to my beta sayiansirius for working hard on this chapter, and, as always, thanks to my inspiration Poultrygeist.
Hidden
Chapter 9 – Found


A muffled blast woke Luna. Squinting, she sat up and rubbed her eyes.

“Open the door,” a voice growled just outside her door. A voice too familiar. “Open it!” The harsh sound of a blow hitting something soft and a groan of pain traveled to Luna’s ears.

Widely awake now, Luna slipped her legs out from under her covers and just as she began to dash towards the door, it blasted open. Luna shielded herself from the flying splinters of wood, and when the debris settled, she looked back up, knowing what – no, who – she would find.

“Luna!” Ronald Weasley stared at Luna with an incredulous expression, as if he couldn’t believe she was still alive. His left hand, adorned with a simple wedding band, was firmly holding Draco Malfoy, bound, gagged, and straight-backed, firmly. A large Auror stayed on Draco’s left side, one arm locked around his neck. Luna, frozen with shock, could do nothing but stare into Draco’s grey eyes that were clouded over with concern, apology, and – was it hopelessness? She didn’t break eye contact, even when Ron rushed over to throw his arms around her, his excited exclamations falling on deaf ears.

Only when the Auror pulled Draco away from the room did Luna finally realize what had happened.

“…worried to death about you,” Ron was saying. He frowned at Luna’s lack of response. “Luna, are you all right?”

Luna turned her head slowly to look up at her gangly ex-husband. “How’d you find me?” Her expression was blank and impassive.

Ron grinned proudly, mistaking the glimmer in her eyes for awe. “The innkeeper down at the village took a while to tell us where to find you. But he realized who we were soon enough.” Ron looked at Luna, his eyes filled with concern. “You don’t know how worried I was when your father came to me.”

Luna couldn’t bear the emotions that flickered across Ron’s face. Looking away and pulling herself gently away from him, she replied, “I’m fine. Draco didn’t hurt me.” Her gaze seemed distant, as her mind wandered to the captive she had just seen.

“It’s a good thing he didn’t,” another voice, clipped with authority, chimed in. Percy Weasley strolled into the room, his smart shoes clicking against the marble floor and wooden splinters. “Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to find a suitable punishment.”

Luna lost her detached expression, and her silver eyes flashed angrily. “What do you mean punishment? He didn’t do anything wrong!”

Percy gave Luna a wary glare. “On the contrary, Luna. Former Death Eater, assistant to the murder of Albus Dumbledore, failure to turn himself in, kidnapping of Luna Lovegood.” Percy bowed slightly in Luna’s direction. “The list goes on.”

“He didn’t do any of that! The evidence against him may seem otherwise, but he’s innocent. I know that for a fact.” Luna scrambled to find the words and heard herself say, “I came to him on my own accord.”

Beside her, Ron gasped. Percy’s stone-like face froze with horror.

“I did,” Luna continued, trying to stop her wild heart from beating so loudly. “I…I wanted to write a story about snarshlucks, and it just so happens that I knew Draco to own quite a few of them. So I came to him for the story.” As her expression became more pensive, she hoped they wouldn’t see through her lie.

“Oh Merlin.” Percy rubbed his face with a hand.

“Luna,” Ron started, a hint of disappointment evident in his voice. “You haven’t changed a bit.”

Luna stiffened, and her gaze slowly wandered into space. “Should I have?”

“Now you listen to me, Luna,” Percy snapped. He approached Luna aggressively, but Luna did not flinch. “I know the revenge you’re trying to exact on this family, but what you’re saying is treason. Not only might you be convicted in a hearing but you will also embarrass me, Ron, and yourself. Be careful what you say, Luna Lovegood. My sympathy for you only extends so far.”

Luna trembled slightly; she knew this was no empty threat. And yet, she retorted, “I will expose you for what you are: a man no better than Voldemort himself.”

Percy looked as if he wanted to slap her across her face. Face red and livid with anger, he said with deadly calm, “Do so, and your father will follow you soon after.” When Luna’s eyes widened with shock, Percy smirked. “He waited quite a while to report you missing. Wonder what the court will say about that.”

Luna stood stock-still as Percy swept off, his steps resolute and careful. As much as she needed to tell Draco’s story, she couldn’t risk her father’s life so carelessly. Draco wouldn’t have wanted her to either.

“Luna?” Luna automatically turned her head in answer. “I…I know you’re upset about…well, about what happened between us. I wasn’t thinking, Luna, and I want to apologize for hurting you so much. I just…I want you to know that even though…I’m sorry for what I’d done to you, for jumping to the conclusions that I did, things can’t go back to the way they were.”

Luna swiveled, looking at Ron disbelievingly. Ron squirmed uncomfortably. “I’m married to Susan Bones now – you probably already knew – and it’s a…successful marriage. It works for all of us. Percy, ‘specially.”

“I know that, Ron. I’m not asking anymore from you.” Luna noted Ron’s sigh of relief with disgust. “Ron, what will happen to Draco?”

Ron frowned and broke eye contact. “Well, I don’t know. I imagine Percy will want the names of other Death Eaters and where they were hiding. This home, Occultusum Malfoy, is the perfect place for them to gather, and the innkeeper didn’t offer up any names before he died so there’ll be information Percy wants to extract from Draco. After that, Draco may or may not go to trial for assisted murder and kidnapping.” Ron’s eyes flickered back to Luna’s to gauge her reaction. “If he’s found guilty, he’d be kept in Azkaban for the rest of his life like other Death Eaters or – “ Ron hesitated.

“He might receive the Dementor’s Kiss if the – Luna, where are you going?”

Luna had flown out the room as fast as her legs could carry her. Downstairs, she caught sight of the burly Auror she’d seen lead Draco away stand protectively in front of a small door. “Sir!” she shouted. “I need to speak with Malfoy!”

“Sorry, Miss Lovegood, strict orders.”

“Please, sir, I need to – Draco!” Luna could not keep her pent-up emotions inside any longer. She tried to get past the Auror, but he never let her even touch the door. “Draco!” she kept screaming.

“What’s all this ruckus? Luna!” She struggled against the new set of hands that had grabbed her forearms. “Settle down!”

“Percy,” Luna gasped as she caught her breath, finally collecting herself. “I want to speak to Draco Malfoy. Please.”

“Mr Weasley,” a muffled voice spoke from the other side of the door. “Please. Perhaps she and I could work out a deal. You’re not going to get anything out of either of us otherwise.”

Percy stood up straighter. “Mr Malfoy, you are a war criminal. I will not have you brainwashing my sister-in – my brother’s friend into doing your deeds or crying for your redemption.”

“I will do nothing of the sort, Mr Weasley; you have my word.”

Percy seemed conflicted. “I’m giving you fifteen minutes.” He looked sternly at Luna. “Everything is to be resolved in fifteen minutes.” He glanced cautiously at the door before lowering his voice to a whisper, “Luna, I want you to scream if he tries something.”

Luna stared back with cold fury. “I will, Mr Weasley,” she replied, her lips breaking into a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

Percy nodded to the muscular Auror at the doorway. The Auror tapped the door twice with his fist. “Mr Malfoy, I want you to sit in your chair as I open the door,” he called through the door. After a pregnant pause, the Auror turned the doorknob and peeked into the room. Deeming it safe, he signaled for Luna to approach.

Luna knew what they were doing, the Auror and Percy, but she wouldn’t show weakness. Not this time. Humiliation would not bring her or Draco to kneel at his feet. Head held high, she stepped into the shadows of the room and listened to the door click shut.




End notes: I am pleased to say that this story was completed on July 18, 2007. This chapter was completed on July 16, 2007. Any information disproved by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has not and will not be incorporated into this story.

All reviews are graciously accepted and appreciated.