Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Goodbye by Lil Red

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: I do not own any Harry Potter characters, names, or places.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie Weasley sighed as he paced the kitchen floor. To go, or not to go? Charlie pushed his short red hair off his freckled face. If he did go, what would he say to his parents?

Charlie had been accepted to study dragons in a well known facility located in Romania. It had been the perfect job for him, combining flying and animals, but Charlie wasn’t so sure he should go anymore.

Charlie had six siblings, Bill, Percy, Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny, all of whom were out. His parents wanted to know that all seven of their children were safe at all times. It was hard to do with seven children, and would be even harder if they were strewn across the globe. Bill had already left for Egypt, which had been hard on his parents, and Charlie going to Romania would be even harder.

Charlie sighed. He knew he had to go. He had to earn money for himself and for the family, which made this job perfect because of its good pay. But could he just run off on his parents like that?

His thoughts were interrupted by his parents walking in, carrying bags of groceries. Charlie looked over and nodded at his short and slightly plump mother, her fading red hair held in a bun, her round face glowing with a smile. Mr. Weasley was already sitting at the table, trying to figure out a Muggle puzzle. Charlie sighed again.

“What’s wrong, poppet?” Mrs. Weasley asked as se stacked food in the wooden cupboards.

“Nothing, Mum…” Charlie said. He thought about it. “But I do have something good to tell you.”

“Do you, Charlie?” Mrs. Weasley glanced at her second eldest son. “What is it?”

“I’ve, er, found what I wanted to do as a career!”

“Have you, son? Have you really?” Mr. Weasley glanced up excitedly, blue eyes twinkling. Charlie knew his parents had missed a many nights sleep over his lack of ideas for a career.

“Yes, really, Dad. And it pays well, too!”

“Then tell us about it, dear!” Mrs. Weasley sat down next to her husband, smiling sweetly.

“Ok, well, um…you have to promise you won’t overreact until I’m done explaining, ok?” Charlie asked.

“Of course, son.”

“It’s not as if you’re going back in time to become a Death Eater!”

Charlie cleared his throat. “Let me start off by saying that getting this job is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I’m lucky to have gotten it. If I take this job, it’ll bring a lot of money in, not only for me, but in for the family, too. You’ll be able to get Ron first hand robes for Hogwarts!”

“That’s good, now what is it that you’ll be doing?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Alright, Mum, but you can’t overreact.” Charlie took a deep breath. “I’ll be studying dragons in Romania.”

Mrs. Weasley’s smile stayed frozen on. “Alright…now why don’t you tell us what you’re really going to do?”

Charlie looked at his father worriedly. “Mum, I really am going to Romania.”

“But you can’t, Charlie, Mummy needs to take care of you!” Charlie couldn’t help but notice his mother stayed cheery. Bad sign. “You’re not going to leave!”

“Molly, I think he means it,” Mr. Weasley murmured.

Tears were welling in his wife’s eyes. “But he knows he’s not leaving, right? Right, Charlie?!”

Charlie stayed silent.

“Molly, you’re getting hysterical.”

“Hysterical?! Of course I’m hysterical! My baby boy is leaving, what do you expect?!” Molly turned to her son. “Charlie, you can’t leave, you can’t!” She was nearly sobbing by now.

“Mum, I have to. This job is almost impossible to get!” Charlie looked at his mother sadly.

“You can get a job here, poppet!”

“Not one that pays this much, Mum.” Charlie walked forward and took his mother’s hands. “I’ll be ok.”

“But you’ll be all the way in Romania. And as if that’s not bad enough, you’ll be dealing with dragons!” Mrs. Weasley sobbed. “The only way you’ll be safe is if you’re in my arms!”

“Mum…”

“You’re staying, and that’s final!” Mrs. Weasley commanded through her tears.

Charlie’s face hardened. “Mum, I’m eighteen years old, which means I’m fully qualified to make my own decisions. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going up to my room to pack.”

With that, Charlie let go of his mother’s hands and stalked up to his room.

~*~


Later that evening, after his siblings had gotten home, Charlie sat in his half packed away room, gazing around at the walls. There was a short knock.

“Come in,” Charlie called.

His father’s balding red head poked in. “Hello, Charlie.”

“Dad,” Charlie said shortly.

Mr. Weasley sighed and came all the way in, closing the door behind him. Glancing around the room, he asked, “When are you leaving?”

“Five days.”

Mr. Weasley sighed again. “Look, Charlie, your mother cares greatly about you and your safety. Bill’s leaving was just as hard, if not harder, on her.”

“I know that, Dad, but I can’t help it. She’s just too protective.” Charlie gestured to the room. “She decorated this herself! She wouldn’t let me choose!”

Mr. Weasley actually smiled. “That’s because you were a baby. You could’ve changed it.”

“Well, I…I didn’t want to upset her! She worked hard on this.”

“That she did…” Mr. Weasley looked sadly around the room. “I’m trying to ease the idea of you leaving on your mother…let’s just hope Percy won’t want to leave far from home, eh, Charlie-boy?” Mr. Weasley ruffled Charlie’s hair and stood up. “You’d better get packing.”

Mr. Weasley left the room, whistling softly. Charlie smiled. He was sure going to miss this place.

~*~


“Now, make sure you put that special ointment on those burns,” Mrs. Weasley was saying the day Charlie was to leave.

“Don’t worry, Mum,” Charlie wheezed as he attempted to breathe through his mother’s hug.

“You’ve got a good head on your shoulders, son.” Mr. Weasley clapped his son on the back. “Use it once in a while.”

Charlie grinned as he shook Percy’s hand. “No worries, Dad.”

“You were the best Quiddich player, brother,” one of the twins said.

“Shame we’re losing all that talent,” the other said.

Charlie winked at his brothers. “I’m sure you guys will make up for it.”

“You sure I’ll have a good time at Hogwarts?” Ron asked worriedly.

“Of course, little brother!” Charlie ruffled Ron’s hair. “Not getting second thoughts, are we?”

“We’re not! I mean…”

Charlie laughed. “Take care of the house, Ginny.”

Ginny clung to her brother. “Don’t leave!”

“I have to, Ginny!” Charlie took a few steps forward, Ginny still holding onto him for dear life.

“Come on, dear.” Mr. Weasley tugged Ginny off of his son. “Have a good time.”

“Write us every day!” Mrs. Weasley kissed Charlie’s cheek, tears welling in her eyes.

“I promise, I will.” Charlie picked up his bags. He began to walk towards the Knight Bus, which would take him to his Portkey.

As Charlie boarded the bus, he took one last look at his family. The whole clan of the redheaded Weasleys were smiling and waving. Charlie smiled and waved back.

“Goodbye!” he called. He boarded the bus. Taking a seat, he looked out the window. He whispered, “Goodbye…”