Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lost Innocence by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.


Lucius Malfoy felt a familiar burning in his arm. He had just begun to doze off, but he was instantly wide awake. That burning meant only one thing, his master needed him. He rose quietly, so he wouldn’t wake Narcissa. Then he threw his robe on, and Apparated to the Dark Lord’s side.

He was not alone in his master’s presence. He saw a man crumpled at the Dark Lord’s feet. He identified him as Evan Rosier. Lucius ignored him, and fell to his knees, waiting to see what his master wanted from him.

“You may go, Evan,” the cold voice snarled. “I do hope you will take my warning to heart.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Rosier squeaked, as he crawled from the room.

“Lucius,” he hissed in greeting, “you may rise.”

“Thank you, my Lord,” he replied, as he climbed to his feet.

“You have been among my followers for some time now,” the hissing voice continued. “However, you are yet to have participated in an extermination. This is what I need from you tonight. Are you ready?”

“Yes, my Lord.”

He didn’t know if the words were true, but he had no choice but to say them. Any other response would result in his immediate death. He was not ready to die. The question was, could he kill to stay alive. He would soon find out.

“Do you remember Lily Evans?” his master asked.

The name was not familiar.

“No, my Lord.”

“What about James Potter?”

That name was very familiar. He was the little brat who turned Sirius against his family. Narcissa had lost her cousin to him. He could remember Potter from school, as well. He was only in his first year when Lucius graduated, but he had still managed to leave an impression. He strutted around the school like he owned it. Like he had some special talent or something.

“I remember Potter, my Lord.”

“He married Evans. And tonight, they foiled Rosier’s attempt to gain crucial information. This is the second time those Muggle-lovers have interfered in my plans. This cannot continue to go unpunished, do you agree, Lucius?”

“Yes, my Lord,” he said. It was always in a Death Eater’s best interest to agree with whatever the Dark Lord said. If he said the sky was pink, it would be best to respond with, “Yes, my Lord.”

“Ordinarily, I would have the Potters killed. However, they seem to possess great power, as they have been able to disrupt my plans twice. I would hate to see that kind of ability wasted. Instead, I wish to recruit them. I think they just need a little friendly persuasion.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Lucius replied, when his master looked to him for comment.

“Evans is a Mudblood. She is the weaker link. I want to send her a message. A very strong message. Something that will show her I am serious. I want you to burn her parent’s home to the ground, with them inside.”

This time Lucius did not respond right away. He was shocked, and it was not easy to shock a Malfoy. From his master’s point of view, it was the perfect plan. He could kill two Muggles, while sending a message to two wizards. It worked out well for him. Less well, for Lucius. He wasn’t ready for a kill; he knew it. But there was nothing he could do. So he did what he always did, he agreed.

“Of course, my Lord.”

“I want this done tonight, Lucius. There have been enough mistakes. I do not feel that I need to tell you, failure will be punished. You know that. I know you will give this mission the best of your skills.”

“Yes, my Lord.” Lucius was beginning to feel as though those were the only words he would speak for the rest of his life.

“You will set the house ablaze, and then set the Dark Mark in the air. When that is complete you are to find Lily Potter. Do not approach her until she is alone. Do not give away your identity. You are to wear your mask.” He produced a small envelope and handed it to Lucius. “You are to give her this. Tell her that the choice is hers.”

“I will, my Lord.”

The Dark Lord nodded, “Go my servant, and do well.”

Lucius was being dismissed. He backed out of the room. He remembered Rosier, and knew that he was lucky he could still walk. Of course, if he failed this task, his next meeting was likely to end on a much more unpleasant note.

Once he was away from his master and outside, Lucius took a deep breath. The cool night air felt good in his lungs. He walked away from the building where he had just meant his master. He knew that he should Apparate to the Evans’, but he couldn’t do it. He wasn’t ready. He didn’t have to do it that second. He was told to do it that night. There were still many hours left in the night.

He walked until he found a small lake. He had no idea where he was, and he didn’t care. He sat down by the lake. The moonlight reflected in the water. It gave him an eerie sensation. It was a beautiful night. It didn’t seem like the type of night one would choose to become a killer.

Of course, he was not choosing. He had made one choice in his entire life. Everything had been decided for him since birth. He had not even been able to choose his own bride. And he had certainly not chosen to be a Death Eater. His father chose for him, and he had let it happen. That was his choice. He could have fought, but he didn’t. Now he would become a killer, simply to stay alive.