Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Lost Innocence by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.


Lucius finally forced himself to Apparate to the Evans’ home. He had no idea what time it was. He didn’t know much of anything, except that he didn’t want to do this. He wanted to go home, and get into bed with his wife. He wanted to pretend that the Dark Lord hadn’t summoned him. But of course, to do that, would result in his immediate death.

He arrived in front of the Evans’ home, with a loud pop. After glancing around, he confirmed that no one had seen him.

He looked up at the two-story home. It looked like most of the other houses in the area, large, with white paint, and Victorian style windows. It was simplistic enough. Far too simplistic for someone with the tastes of a Malfoy. However, Lucius did find himself somewhat attracted to the home. It seemed to have a loving aura around it. He was being foolish, and he knew it.

It was a warm night, and the Evans’s had left their bedroom window opened. He could hear their muffled voices. He wished they would shut up. This would be easier if he could pretend there was no one in the house. Then it would just be a fire. He wouldn’t go to hell for a little property damage, but murder was a different story.

“I have no choice,” he said, aloud. “It’s their lives or mine, and I am not done with mine yet.”

A small light flickered in the bedroom. He wondered what it was. It had an odd glow to it that he had not seen before. Probably some Muggle contraption. The things they came up with were so bizarre.

He knew this was not the time to contemplate the inner workings of the Muggle mind. He had a job to do, for a less than patient master. It was time to stop stalling. He had no choice. It had to be done.

He raised his wand in the air, and pointed it towards the house. He said the spell, and the house burst into flames.

He stood there, staring blankly, as flames engulfed the house. It didn’t take long. The spell was powerful, and fast acting. There was no hope for Evans’ escape. They would die in that house, just as the Dark Lord had wanted it. And Lucius was responsible for it. He had done it.

He watched the fire burn. The flames reflected madly in his eyes. If anyone were to see him, they would be certain that he had gone mad. For a moment, he was sure that he had. He thought the burning building was only in his mind, and he would be forced to watch it burn for the rest of his life, as penance for contemplating murder.

He was brought out of his dark thoughts by a scream, a wild scream of pure terror. It was coming from within the burning building. The burning building that existed in reality, regardless of what he wanted to believe. Mrs. Evans had realized what had happened. It was too late. The whole house was in flames. There was no escape.

Her screams persisted, but they were no longer screams of terror; they were screams of pain. She was burning to death, and Lucius was watching and listening as it happened. He felt ill. He ran towards the woods, surrounding the home, and vomited in the bushes.

When he focused on the house again, the screams had stopped. He knew without a doubt that Evans’ were dead. He gathered all of his strength, and cast the Dark Mark into the air.

He was preparing to Apparate when he heard a loud sound. He stopped to see what it was. Within seconds the entire yard was filled with large red machines. They were blaring and going on. He watched Muggle men, jump from these machines and point hoses at the house. Water shot from the hoses. He concluded that they were trying to put the fire out. It would be no use. A magical fire could not be defeated by mere water. It would burn out when it was ready, and not before.

Again, he prepared to leave, but, once again, he was interrupted. This time he was stopped by the sound of another scream. It was different from the screams of the Evans woman. This was a scream of anguish and despair.

He turned to locate the source of the crying. He saw a petite woman. She was being held back by a man, who greatly resembled the giant squid. He had never seen these people before, but obviously they had some connection to the people he had just murdered. Guilt rose inside of him, as he saw, firsthand, the damage he had inflicted.

He couldn’t bear to watch. He Apparated to the Potter’s home. There he would wait, until he had an opportunity to deliver the Dark Lord’s message to the young Potter woman. There he would try to regain his composure, and forget what he had just done. Otherwise, he could never look at himself in the mirror again.

He entered the woods behind the Potter’s house, and sat on the wet ground. He didn’t care about getting wet. All he cared about was relaying the message to Lily Potter, and getting the hell out of there. He had never been so anxious to return to his mansion in all his life.

He wondered how long he would be stuck there. It was the middle of the night. Lily was probably in bed, with her husband. How was he supposed to get her alone? He could be sitting there until morning. Why couldn’t the Dark Lord just send her an owl? What was so great about personalized Death Eater delivery?

These questions were pointless, as it was obvious that they would never be answered. The Dark Lord was the only one who could supply an answer, and anyone who questioned him ended up dead. So Lucius would keep his questions to himself. This would be no hardship for him, as he had been taught since birth to do just that.

After about an hour of sitting, he thought he was about to get a break. A pretty red-haired woman came out of the house. He knew it had to be Lily Potter. There would be no other woman living there. He rose to go speak with her, but before he could leave his hiding spot she had Apparated.

He cursed under his breath. If he had just been a little bit faster, he could be going home. But instead, he was stuck in the disgusting wet forest. Why did she have to Apparate so quickly? He just wanted to get this over with.

He stared at the house, waiting for her to return. At least this time, the house wasn’t on fire. The Potter’s were not going to be killed. That night, anyway.

Lucius’ mind drifted back to the other home he had stared at that night. He remembered the flames, and the screams. His stomach heaved, again. There was no way for him to comprehend what he had done. He had just killed two people. And now that he had proven he could do it, the Dark Lord would be expecting it from him more often. He didn’t even know how he was going to keep himself alive.

The hours he spent in those woods were the most emotionally devastating hours of his life. He continued to replay the evening’s events in his mind. Each time he felt more repulsed by what he had done, and what his future would hold because he had done it. He was no longer a mere observer of the Dark Lord’s cruelty”he was a participant.

He was pulled from his morbid thoughts by James Potter leaving his home. His looks hadn’t changed much since he was eleven years old, and neither had his strut. He quickly Apparated away. Everyone was leaving, except for him. It just wasn’t fair.

About five minutes later, James reappeared with Lily. She looked horrible. She couldn’t even stand under her own power, and Lucius could hear her sobs. She must have found out about her parents. He was witnessing more of the fallback from his earlier actions. He wished he could take it all back. Surely, death would be more merciful than this.

James led his wife into their home, and once again, Lucius was left alone. He doubted James would be letting Lily out his sight again that night. He might as well get comfortable. If he planned to avoid the Dark Lord’s wrath, he could not leave until the message was delivered.

He leaned against a tree, and looked into the sky. The stars were beautiful that night. They littered the sky, and sparkled brightly. It made him feel like the universe was trying to comfort him. He closed his eyes and quickly fell asleep.

It was much later, when he was awoken by the sound of a closing door. He opened his eyes, and discovered that it was nearly dawn. Looking towards the house, he saw Lily Potter, alone. She was wandering into the back yard.

He quickly grabbed his mask, and jumped to his feet. His muscles were sore from sleeping in such an awkward position, but he ignored their protests. He was not going to miss his opportunity again. Once he gave Lily her message, he could tell his master that the mission was a success, and then he could go home.

He stepped out of the trees, and walked towards her. To his surprise, she didn’t look scared.

“You can take that mask off, Lucius Malfoy,” she told him. “I would recognize that strut anywhere.”

Taken aback, he did as she suggested. He removed the mask.

“Your husband was the one who liked to strut around Hogwarts.”

“He was nothing like you.”

“That is because I actually have class.”

“I never thought of murderers as particularly classy,” she snapped. “It was you who killed my parents, wasn’t it?”

She had shocked him again. This woman had quite a flair for surprises. He didn’t know what to say to her. He didn’t want to admit to what he had done. He knew that his master would not want him to do that.

“You don’t have to say anything,” she told him. “Your silence says it all. Why are you here, now? Are you supposed to kill me too?”

“No,” he told her. “I am supposed to give you this,” he handed her the envelope, “and tell you that the choice is yours.”

She grabbed the letter out of his hand. “There you have done your task. Now, you can return to your master, and tell him it is complete.”

He didn’t move.

“Go,” she snarled at him.

He turned to leave, but then he stopped again. He looked back at Lily, and said, “I’m sorry.”

“A lot of good that does,” she told him, and then she walked back towards her house. Leaving Lucius alone to contemplate the consequences of his actions.