Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Perfect Christmas by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Part One: Diagon Alley

The winter holiday had begun, and Harry was once again spending Christmas at the Burrow. The last several months of traveling and tracking down Voldemort's Horcruxes had been difficult, and he was glad to be welcomed back to one of the only places where he felt at home. He was looking forward to a short break from his grim journey, and to spending time with his friends, family, and Ginny.

After a busy day of helping Mrs. Weasley ready the house for guests, Harry and Ron had been given the afternoon to Apparate to Diagon Alley. They planned on visiting Fred and George, as well as finishing their Christmas shopping before the big Christmas feast Mrs. Weasley had prepared for the following day.

Arriving with a pop at the joke shop that Fred and George had opened after leaving Hogwarts, Harry and Ron turned around to find the twins leaning against the counter wearing identical grins.

"Look George, it's Harry and - what's his name?'

"Run? Rub?" asked George.

"I think it's Bilius," replied Fred.

"No, that's his middle name, poor sod."

"Wait - I think I remember - it's Ronniekins!"

They swarmed around Harry and Ron, cooing in baby voices. Fred smothered Ron in fake kisses, and Ron swatted him away.

"Ship off!" Ron muttered, turning red.

The twins stopped and adopted very serious looks, along with a tone much like Mrs. Weasley's. "It's just that we haven't seen you since the wedding, dear brother," began Fred.

"We know you've been sneaking around on some sort of secret mission - " continued George.

"And we've been dreadfully worried - "

"We just hope you aren't visiting your other twin brothers' joke shop, because then we'd really be offended."

"We might have to slip you something at Christmas dinner if that were the case."

"Whatever," said Ron, throwing an exasperated glance at Harry. Harry hid a grin for his friend's never-ending embarrassment at the hands of his brothers. He was glad that some things never changed. Ron didn't say anything else, but starting looking around the shop. Fred and George exchanged a look and shrugged.

"So what brings you up here today?" asked Fred, moving behind the counter. "Mum doesn't need us to peel potatoes or anything, does she? Because I know a spell for that."

Ron shook his head, rolling his eyes. "You really think we'd Apparate up here just for kitchen help?"

"That depends - how many people are coming over tomorrow?"

"Ten or twelve, I think," replied Harry, walking away to examine some of the twin's new products.

"Mum must be having kittens then!" snorted George.

"Of course she is," laughed Ron as he studied a new daydream charm. "But we spent all of yesterday - and this morning - cleaning, so she gave us the afternoon off. We're shopping."

Like lighting Fred and George changed directions. "Why Fred, who do you suppose our brother is shopping for? Not a - " he dropped his voice to a whisper. " - girl?"

"Like a girl whose name starts with H and ends with E?" replied Fred, leaning over the counter and wagging his eyebrows. "Nah, can't be. He wouldn't go through so much effort for a girl." He dropped his voice to match his brother's. "Especially her, she's just a friend."

Ron's face was flaming. "Mum needs some ingredients - " he started to say.

"His best friend," interrupted George, as if Ron hadn't spoken.

"Nothing more," replied Fred with a wink.

"Hose off," said Ron. Harry tried to keep a straight face and failed.

"Of course not." George paused. "Why is that again?" he asked with puzzled look on his face.

Fred shook his head. "I don't know, since it's painfully obvious he fancies her." He went back to his work behind the counter and added casually, "Either way, he'd better get her something really special this year, after who we met last week."

"Shut up," said Ron, turning to go and stopping midway when he realized what the twins had said. He walked back to the counter. "Hang on - I get Hermione a present every year. Why does it have to be so much better this year?"

"Well, she might get other presents she likes better, little brother," said George rather casually, but with an impish look on his face. He winked at Fred.

"Like what? From who?" asked Ron suspiciously, eyeing them warily. "Not that I care," he added unconvincingly. Harry frowned to himself - what were the twins playing at? Surely they knew that Ron had a fierce jealous streak.

"From whom," corrected Fred, grinning.

"From whom?" Ron ground out, starting to look worried.

"Oh, no one special," replied George. "Just a certain Bulgarian Seeker we met slouching around Diagon Alley last week."

Harry felt his jaw drop; quickly he put down the Shield Cloak he had been looking at and hurried back to the counter with the others. Ron had gone from bright red to pale white as his mouth moved soundlessly. Fred and George seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

"Krum?" Ron finally managed to spit out.

"Sorry, mate," said George, thumping Ron on the shoulder. "Looks like yet another Triwizard Champion has landed on our shores."

"Krum?" It seemed Ron couldn't say more than that.

"The one and only," said Fred. "He's taken up at the Ministry itself, International Department of Magical Cooperation." Fred shrugged. "He's just an intern, but then so was Fleur and now she's part of the family."

Harry couldn't believe it: Viktor Krum, in London? Working for the Ministry of Magic? It hardly seemed possible. The Triwizard Tournament seemed so long ago.

Ron whirled on Harry, his eyes wide. "Harry? You don't think he - she - they -?"

Harry felt an enormous rush of sympathy for his friend. Viktor Krum had been the cause of many rows between Ron and Hermione. Since Bill and Fleur's wedding over the summer, they had seemed to reach an unspoken agreement about their relationship and it seemed to be going well.

"Come on, brother," said George, putting his arm around Ron's shoulders and guiding him toward the door before Harry could answer. "We'll help you find something just right for her."

"Like a book on international Quidditch stars," suggested Fred.

"Or a love potion," sniggered George.

Ron goggled at them. "No way! You lot are the last ones I want shopping with me!" He threw off his brother's arm and practically ran for the door. "Come on, Harry, let's go! We have lots to do."

With a shrug, Harry left the twins laughing to themselves in the shop. He caught up with Ron, who was walking quickly down the cold street, his shoulders hunched and his hands shoved into his pockets. He was muttering to himself; Harry wasn't sure what to say.

"What are you getting?" Ron asked him suddenly.

"For who?" Ron whipped his head around to stare at him. "For whom?" corrected Harry, with a grin.

"For my sister, you prat," growled Ron, apparently not in the mood for humor. "What are you getting Ginny?'

Harry swallowed. He hadn't really thought about it, though it was one of the reasons he had come to Diagon Alley with Ron. He wanted to get Ginny something special, but he had no idea what. He was sort of hoping the ideal gift would magically jump out at him when he saw it and shout, "Here I am!"

"I don't know yet," he finally said. "Hopefully I'll know when I see it." Harry glanced curiously at Ron, who still looked worried. "Why? What has Ginny got to do with Krum?"

"Do you - do you suppose they're right? Fred and George? About Krum and Hermione?"

Harry knew what Ron was thinking and had no idea. He wanted to tell Ron that Krum was a ruddy pumpkin head and that Hermione had stopped writing him ages ago, but he didn't really know if that were true. He did know - or he believed - that his friend had little to be worried about. While it was indeed more and more obvious Ron had feelings for Hermione, Harry suspected that she fancied Ron as well. Being a girl, however, she was much better at hiding it. And being Ron and Hermione, they had never talked about it.

"Forget about it," said Harry. "Fred and George are just trying to rile you. We'll find something." He looked around at the shops on Diagon Alley. "She does like books, after all, and there are some good book shops here."

Ron sputtered incoherently.

"Okay, okay! Nothing on Quidditch then," laughed Harry.

They spent the next hour dashing in and out of each store searching for the perfect gifts to give Hermione and Ginny. They also picked up a number of items Mrs. Weasley had asked them to purchase for Christmas dinner. But after trying almost every shop, they had not found anything they wished to purchase for either girl. Ron seemed to be getting desperate, and Harry thought they both needed a break.

"Let's go to the Leaky Cauldron," he suggested. "We can have a butterbeer and figure out where to go next."

"Maybe Fred and George could help," Ron said, letting Harry steer him toward the pub.

"No!" said Harry vehemently. "Not unless you want Hermione to grow a second head or a third arm."

Ron snorted. "You're right, bad idea. But Harry, what are we going to do? We haven't found anything, there are only a few stores left, and it's almost time to . . . to . . ."

Ron trailed off as they entered the Leaky Cauldron. He eyes were fixed on a table at the back of the pub. Harry followed his friend's gaze, and saw what had stopped Ron mid-sentence: Viktor Krum was indeed in London, and sitting in the Leaky Cauldron.


Part Two: The Burrow

Harry and Ron returned to the Burrow just before dinner. Apparating outside the wards, they walked back to the kitchen door in silence. Harry knew his friend was in a foul mood, and decided it was best to leave the subject of Viktor Krum alone for now.

Ginny was sitting at the kitchen table, a glum look on her face as she peeled potatoes. Apparently she had been at it for quite a while as an entire pot of potatoes was already cooking and a second pile threatened to topple off the table onto the floor. When Harry and Ron came in, she glanced up with a look of weary disgust that quickly turned into a bright smile; Harry hoped it was for him and smiled back. Ron watched them for a moment, and with a loud huff stomped upstairs without saying a word to anyone.

"What's with him?" asked Ginny, watching him with her eyebrows raised.

"You don't want to know," replied Harry. "Here are your ingredients, Mrs. Weasley." He handed her the packages they had picked up in Diagon Alley.

Sitting down across from Ginny, he asked, "Need some help? I know a spell." He grinned, remembering what the twins had said in Diagon Alley.

"You sound like Fred and George," Ginny griped, and Harry laughed.

"Harry, thank you so much!" said Mrs. Weasley with a warm smile. She ruffled his hair. Ginny snorted and Harry threw her a dirty look. "But you two have done enough for today. Ginny can manage."

"Aw Mum, my fingers are about fall off." Ginny used her most wheedling voice. "I'll be peeling potatoes in my sleep. I could really use the help." She winked at Harry when Mrs. Weasley wasn't looking, and Harry had to stifle a laugh.

"I'm sorry, Ginny, but it's good for you to learn these things. You can use magic when you turn seventeen." Mrs. Weasley turned back to her cooking, absently humming a Christmas tune by Celestina Warbeck.

"She's punishing me," muttered Ginny under her breath, taking up yet another potato.

"What for?" asked Harry, curious. One of his favorite things about Ginny was her mischievous streak, something she had no doubt picked up from Fred and George. He wondered what she had done to incur such a tedious chore at Christmas.

"I was only trying to help and decorate the tree, using a spell from Fred and George," she replied, trying to sound innocent as she started another potato.

"So what happened?"

"It caught on fire." Ginny shrugged and threw another potato on the pile.

Harry raised his eyebrows, waiting for more; a small fire would hardly have warranted so many potatoes. "And?"

"Well . . . the candy canes melted, the fairies flew away, and the star shot through the window and hit a gnome in the garden. Bit of a mess, really."

Harry covered his mouth to keep from laughing out loud but a small snort escaped. Ginny gave him a withering glare as she went back to glumly peeling more potatoes. Harry could only imagine the look on Mrs. Weasley's face at the time. Apparently she heard him trying to stifle his laugh, as she turned around and pierced him with a thoughtful gaze.

"Harry dear, if you really want to help, why don't you find Ron and you two can gather some eggs from outside."

Now it was Ginny's turn to laugh, as Harry nodded and went upstairs to find Ron.

"Ron, your mum wants us to - " Harry stopped, surprised to find his friend sprawled on his bed, looking sick. Ron was staring at the ceiling and appeared stunned. A letter hung loosely from his hand, which fell over the edge of the bed. "What's wrong?"

"It's over," mumbled Ron. "It's too late."

"Too late for what?" asked Harry, sitting down opposite from him on the camp bed set up for him when he visited. Ron looked positively depressed. "Who is the letter from?"

"Hermione," Ron sighed. "She'll be here tomorrow. But it's too late."

"That's great! But what are you talking about? What's too late?" Harry was very confused. Ron stood up with another sigh and tossed him the letter.

"She already knows Krum is in town, she had lunch with him!" Ron started pacing. "Fred and George were right! He probably got her something spectacular for Christmas, and she's totally going to hook up with him now, and all that shopping we did was for nothing . . ." Ron continued to mumble under his breath as he paced the small room. He stopped once and kicked his bed, resulting in a number of colorful swear words.

Harry felt another rush of sympathy for Ron as he watched him pace. Looking down, read Hermione's letter.

Ron -
How are you? How is Harry? I hope you are both enjoying your time at the Burrow. You both need to rest and relax so we can continue our journey after the holidays. I have an idea about where we should go next but obviously cannot say anything here.
You'll never guess who has moved to England! Do you remember Viktor Krum? He's taken an internship at the Ministry of Magic, in the Department of International Magical Cooperation. He realized he did not want to play Quidditch for the rest of his life and decided to try working in government. We had lunch in Diagon Alley yesterday. He remembered you and Harry and sends his best to you both.
I'll be celebrating Christmas dinner with Mum and Dad but they agreed to let me Apparate to the Burrow later tomorrow night. I should arrive sometime around eight o'clock. I am looking forward to seeing you and Harry, and Ginny as well. I'll fill you in on some other news when I arrive.
Happy Christmas, Ron. See you tomorrow at eight o'clock.
Love from,
Hermione


Harry could only imagine how Ron must be feeling. He wondered how he would feel if Ginny were to have lunch with Michael Corner or Dean Thomas. While one part of him realized that she had obviously chosen him over Michael and Dean, another small part of him reared in jealously at the thought of Ginny doing anything with another boy, even eating sandwiches. But then he realized it was only his own insecurity causing the jealous feelings, and that what it came down to was trusting Ginny and her feelings for him, no matter who she happened to be eating with.

As if she knew he was thinking about her, Ginny appeared in the doorway. "Harry, what's taking you two so - " She stopped when she saw Ron pacing the room, muttering to himself and running his hands through his hair, which stood up at all sorts of odd angles. Quietly Ginny shut the door behind her.

"Ron? What's wrong?" Ron ignored her. "It's Hermione, isn't it?" Harry glanced up at her in surprise; how did girls always know exactly what was wrong?

Ron didn't have to say a word; the look on his face spoke volumes. Ginny turned to Harry for an explanation.

"Here," said Harry, handing her the letter. "It's not really about Hermione. It's more a problem with . . . Krum."

"Viktor Krum?" asked Ginny, puzzled.

"We ran into him in Diagon Alley today," said Harry. "It was a bit awkward."

"Why?" Harry gestured to the letter, and she quickly read through it. When she was finished she smiled to herself, shaking her head, and sat down next to Harry. "Oh, Ron. Is that what's twisted your wand? Viktor Krum?"

"Go away," said Ron, throwing himself down on his bed again with a deep sigh, and covering his face with his hands.

"No, I won't," replied Ginny stubbornly. "Is that why you stormed through the kitchen? Because of Viktor Krum?"

What sounded like a muffled "yes" came from between Ron's hands.

"Well, don't be ridiculous," she snapped. "You've got nothing to worry about!"

Ron bolted upright. "Who says I'm worried anything?"

Ginny raised her eyebrows, and Ron slumped back.

"Right," said Ginny with a nod. "Like I said, you have nothing to worry about, Ron. Hermione doesn't like Viktor. He's just a friend."

"She went out with him!" exclaimed Ron.

"As a friend, Ron. Why does that bother you so much? Why does he bother you so much? The same thing happened at the Yule Ball, and the year after that, and the year after that - "

"Ginny, I don't expect you to understand. Just go away."

Ginny looked at Harry, exasperated. He shrugged and didn't say anything. He had a pretty good idea of what was bothering Ron but wasn't about to share it with Ginny if Ron wasn't going to. "Try me."

To his surprise, Ron sat up again. "Okay, fine. He's older, smarter, and better looking. He's a Triwizard Champion and a Quidditch star. And he has an accent!" Ron threw up his hands, disgusted. "Girls love blokes like him. I'm nothing compared to all that." He didn't look at either of them, but at the floor. Harry didn't know what to say so he continued to keep his mouth shut.

"Oh Ron!" Ginny said again, getting up and going to sit next to her brother. "I know exactly how you feel, but -"

She stopped and started blushing. Harry sat up straighter, glancing at her in surprise. Ron looked at his sister sideways. "Come off it, you're just trying to make me feel better."

"No, I do." When Ginny spoke again, it was in a quieter voice. Harry wondered if she wanted him to hear what she was going to say.

"Everyone has those feelings, Ron. I spent years thinking that I would never be good enough for - " She stopped herself again and smiled. "Well, you know. I never thought I was strong enough, or smart enough, or pretty enough. Sometimes I still don't think I'm all that. And I always wonder why . . .well, the point is, its not always about you, Ron. You may not believe you are all those things, but you have to trust the other person and how they feel about you. To them - to her - you are."

Harry stared at Ginny, stunned; she refused to meet his eyes. He had no idea she had ever felt that way; she always seemed so confident. To him, she was one of the strongest, smartest, and most beautiful girls he knew - how could she doubt it? But then he thought about some of his own feelings while he was going out with Cho, and he realized she was right. Everyone felt what Ron was feeling.

But then, not everyone had an international Quidditch star for romantic competition.

Ron was also gaping at Ginny with a look of amazement on his face.

"Blimey, Ginny," he said. "When did you get so smart?"

She laughed, and hugged him. "I've learned a lot as the youngest. It’s just that no one ever listens to me."

"I'm listening now. So what do I do?" Ron sounded a bit desperate.

"Well, first of all - did you hit him?" asked Ginny.

"Who?"

"Krum, you oaf! Did you punch him, at the Leaky Cauldron?"

Ron looked sheepish. "No, but at one point I really wanted to."

"It's good you didn't," said Ginny, standing up and taking charge. "At least we don't have to deal with that. Did you find her a gift?"

Ron nodded.

"It's not perfume again, is it?" Ron shook his head and she asked, "Is it nice? Will she like it?"

"I think so." Ron looked nervously at Harry for help.

"It's beautiful," he told Ginny. "Much better than perfume."

Ginny smiled and clapped her hands together. "It sounds perfect! Then you need to find a chance to get Hermione alone tomorrow, and tell her."

"Tell her what?" asked Ron blankly.

Harry and Ginny burst out laughing. "Ron!" exclaimed Harry. "Even I know what she's talking about!"

"My brother, the clueless cad," chortled Ginny.

"Come on, are you going to help me or not?" Ron glanced anxiously between Harry and Ginny. Ginny stopped laughing first.

"Ron, you need to figure this part out for yourself. You have to tell her how you feel about her. Then give her the present, and be sure to make it all really romantic."

Ron swallowed. "R-romantic? But it's Hermione - we don't do romantic!"

"Maybe it's time you did," she said. "Flowers are always a nice touch." Ron looked wide-eyed at Harry again, who nodded in agreement with Ginny, and after a long period of silence, Ron agreed as well.

"You're right." Ron took a deep breath. "Tomorrow, then - as soon as she arrives. Flowers and all."

"Yes!" Ginny threw herself at her brother and hugged him again. "You two will be so happy!"

"Yeah? You think so?" Ron asked, sounding both nervous and excited.

"I know so," said Ginny with a wink. "What a wonderful Christmas! I'm so glad you are all here." She stood up and started toward the door. Harry rose and followed her.

"What if she doesn't like the gift I got her?" asked Ron, suddenly looking worried as he got up to join them. "What if she says no? What if she - "

"It'll be fine, mate," said Harry as he walked toward the door. "Trust us. Come on, your mum wants to put us back to work."

Ron stopped talking and left the room, still looking distracted. "But what if -" he started to say when they got to the stairway.

"Ron!" exclaimed Ginny from several steps below. "It'll be okay!"

"And if not," whispered Harry, hoping Ginny wouldn't hear him, "we'll go back to the Leaky Cauldron and you can take that swing at Krum."

Ron seemed to like that idea as his face brightened at the thought. "Can I do that anyway?" he asked hopefully.

"Absolutely not!" came the answer from a head of red hair down below. Ron and Harry laughed, and went into the kitchen to finish their chores for Mrs. Weasley.


Part Three: The Garden

Harry had enjoyed another wonderful Christmas dinner with the Weasley family. After the lavish meal they all sprawled about the living room, each enjoying their own peace on a beautiful winter night. Mr. Weasley dozed in his favorite armchair. Bill and Fleur were outside, stargazing. Professor Lupin was sitting with Tonks on the sofa, engaged in a spirited debate; every so often she would randomly change her hair color, trying to get him to laugh. Fred and George were teaming against Ron and Charlie in a game of wizard chess. Ron was obviously distracted, for he was constantly checking his watch and gazing at the door. Charlie was doing most of the work, and from the look on his face the game was not going well.

Harry was in the kitchen helping Ginny clean up with Mrs. Weasley. Since Ginny couldn't use magic outside of school (and no doubt because she had set the Christmas tree on fire the previous day), she was washing dishes "the Muggle way" as Harry dried them. They talked as they worked, with Mrs. Weasley behind them using her wand to clear the table and send them more dishes. As Ginny began washing a large pot, she asked Harry, "When is Hermione arriving again?"

"Eight o'clock," replied Harry, looking at his watch. "Which is right about now." Looking out the window, he saw a dark figure making its way through the snow-covered yard toward the back door. He put down the dishes and went into the living room to tell Ron.

"I think Hermione is here," he said, and watched in amusement as Ron stood up so quickly he knocked over the entire chessboard. Fred and George let out a groan as Charlie just laughed.

"That game was over anyway," he said with a teasing wink. "We lost before we even started."

Ron glared at him, and punched him on the arm.

"Ow!" exclaimed Charlie. "Can't a guy tease his younger brother?"

"Try Fred and George," said Ron, walking away.

"Okay, then," said Charlie, and turned toward the twins, who looked at him warily. "Let's see what I can find to pick on here. . ."

Harry laughed as he joined Ron in the kitchen. Mrs. Weasley was fussing over Ron, smoothing his hair and trying to tuck in his shirt. He pushed her away just as there was a knock at the door. Harry wondered if she knew what Ron had planned, or if she was going to start arranging his own clothes as well.

"Hermione!" exclaimed Ron. He pulled open the door so fast Hermione practically fell into the kitchen.

"Ron!" she said, clearly surprised to see him standing right at the door. "Happy Christmas!" She hugged him, then turned and hugged Harry. "Harry! Ginny! How are you?” Hermione hugged Ginny and Mrs. Weasley as well. She seemed very happy about something as she shook the snow out of her hair.

"Ron, take her things upstairs," directed Mrs. Weasley. "Hermione, dear, are you hungry? What would you like?" She bustled about the kitchen, ready to prepare another meal.

"I'm fine, Mrs. Weasley, really," laughed Hermione. "And I can take my own things upstairs. I remember where it is."

"Ginny, go with her, dear," said Mrs. Weasley.

Ginny glanced at her mom, then at Harry. "Ron can help her. We've still got dishes to clean." She nudged Harry and they went back to the sink. Ron and Hermione exchanged a look and went upstairs. For a moment Mrs. Weasley watched them, her eyes narrowed; then she sighed and turned back to the sink.

"Thank you, Harry, Ginny. Why don't you go sit in the living room with the others? I'll finish up in here."

Not needing to be told twice, Harry and Ginny quickly went into the living room. They sat under the singed tree and started a game of Exploding Snap. Bill and Fleur had come in and were talking with Charlie. Fred and George had abandoned chess and were whispering in the corner; Harry had little doubt they were talking about Ron and Hermione. Mr. Weasley was awake and was talking to Lupin. Tonks went into the kitchen and came back with Mrs. Weasley.

"Come on, Molly,” she said, leading her into the living room. “Sit with us. The kitchen will still be there later." Mrs. Weasley protested, but Tonks sat her down in a large purple chair by the fire.

Harry gazed around the room, happier than he had been in a long time. Surrounded by warmth and love, he almost forgot that he was still a man on a mission, that he had two more Horcruxes to destroy before he could even think about facing Voldemort again. But for one night, he was content; even the game of Exploding Snap was going well for him.

The peaceful moment was shattered by a series of loud crashes upstairs, followed by angry shouting. Then hard footsteps came thudding down the steps, finishing with a loud crack as someone slammed the back door. Harry and Ginny's game exploded with a puff of smoke.

Harry, Ginny, Charlie, and Mrs. Weasley all stood up. "No, it's okay," said Ginny quickly. "We'll go!' She pushed Harry out of the room. "I'll go check on Hermione, you check on Ron," she whispered. She dashed upstairs, while Harry grabbed his coat and ran outside after his best friend.

Harry saw a lonely figure standing in the garden, snow falling on its shaking shoulders. Frowning, Harry realized the figure was too short and slight to be Ron; apparently Hermione had stormed out, and she had left without her jacket.

Taking his own coat off, he approached her quietly and laid it around her shoulders.

"Harry!" she exclaimed, wiping her eyes. "What are you doing out here? It's cold!"

"I know," he said, smiling. "But I'm checking on you. What happened?"

Hermione shook her head, pulling the coat tighter around her shoulders. "Just the usual. Ron said something stupid, we yelled a bit, and I left. I'm so tired of it, Harry!"

"What started it?" Harry left out an unsaid 'this time', since he figured Hermione didn't need to be reminded of the number of fights she and Ron had.

"I don't know! I was telling him about my holiday, and that I had lunch with Viktor. At first he was fine, but then he started getting really mean, and before I knew it we were shouting at each other." She paused. "Again."

"Did you set any birds on him this time?" teased Harry.

"No!" Hermione lightly slapped his arm and sniffled. “I'm serious. I thought it would be different today, I was going to . . . well, never mind, it's too late." She sighed and turned away. "I'm just so tired of this, I don't understand why this keeps happening."

Harry took a deep breath. It was time for drastic action. He hoped Ginny was faring better with Ron. "Well, I think it keeps happening because you like each other."

Hermione was silent for a moment, then laughed sadly. "Don't be ridiculous, Harry. People who like each other don't say such horrible things to one another."

"I think some people do, when they like each other a lot."

"Ron hates me."

"No, he hates the idea of you going out with Viktor Krum and not him."

Hermione looked at him with wide eyes. "What?" she whispered. Harry was amazed at how smart Hermione could be when it came to her schoolwork, but not when it came to Ron and their relationship.

"Hermione, can't you see it? It drives him crazy when you mention Krum, because he likes you so much," said Harry.

"No, he doesn't, he's never said anything - "

"Neither have you," replied Harry, warming up to his task now. He was going to straighten things out between Ron and Hermione once and for all. "But it's obvious you like him too."

"But I don't - not like that - he's - he's Ron -" Hermione was obviously struggling for words, and Harry was starting to enjoy himself.

"Hermione," he said, holding her eyes with a small smile, silently willing her to admit what was going on between her and Ron.

After a long moment, she exclaimed, "Oh!" and looked down at the ground as a blush crept up her cheeks. "Harry, what do I do? We said horrible things to each other just now. I broke his lucky Canons cup! I don't think he'll ever want to talk to me again - "

"Yes, he will," said a quiet voice from behind them. Turning quickly, Harry saw Ron walking toward them, holding a single white flower. Ginny was slightly behind him, and she had a small, knowing smile on her face. Her eyes met Harry's and she motioned him toward the house, even though he wanted to stay and see his friends make up.

"Ron!" exclaimed Hermione, looking from Ron to Ginny, to Harry, and back to Ron. They gazed at each other for a long moment, and seemed to forget about Harry and Ginny. Harry moved away from Hermione, walking quietly so that he didn't disturb the spell that seemed to have descended upon his two best friends.

"Hermione, I'm - " Ron began.

"No, Ron, I'm so - "

"- sorry," they said together. Harry heard Ginny catch her breath. He couldn't help it: he stopped and watched, holding his own.

Ron quickly walked up to Hermione and took her hand. "Hermione," he said in a rush as he handed her the white flower, which was changing color and turning pink, "I'm so sorry I shouted. I'm sorry for everything. I don't want to fight anymore, I'm tired of it."

Hermione nodded, her eyes glistening as she took the flower, which had now turned deep red. "Me too, Ron. I'm sorry. I - "

"I love you," Ron blurted, interrupting her.

Harry felt his jaw drop; he looked at Ginny and saw what must have been the same expression on her face. Even Ron seemed surprised; Hermione looked completely stunned.

Ron let out a shaky breath and laughed nervously. "There, I've said it." He turned around to Harry and Ginny, grinning. "Satisfied? You've been waiting." Ron turned back to Hermione, taking a small gift-wrapped box from his coat pocket. "I'm sorry it took me so long to say it. I just never thought I had a chance. And it doesn't matter if I do, because I've said it, and you know." He held out the small package, which she took with unsteady hands.

"Ron, I don't have your present with me -" Hermione began.

"It's okay. I want you to have it, right now, no matter what. Open it." Ron shuffled in the snow, as Hermione slowly unwrapped the package to reveal a small blue box. She chewed her lip as she took the lid off, and gasped when she saw what was inside.

"It's beautiful," she whispered in a trembling voice.

"What is it?" murmured Ginny in Harry's ear. He took her hand and squeezed it as Hermione held up a delicate gold chain. Dangling from the end was a small heart set with a single blue stone. Harry knew there was an inscription on the back because he had helped Ron pick it out the day before.

Hermione read the back and smiled, though Harry noticed tears were coming down her face again. He hoped they were happy tears now. He felt awkward intruding on this very private moment, but at the same time he couldn't tear himself away. He only wanted to see his friends happy.

"Hermione, I know it's not much, I know I'm not much, but I - "

Hermione put a finger on Ron's lips, stopping him. "It's perfect. I love it." Taking a deep breath, she finished. "You're perfect, Ron. I love you."

Harry heard Ginny make a soft, happy sound next to him, and felt her bouncing on her toes in anticipation. He knew what she was waiting for because he was waiting for it too.

For a long moment Ron and Hermione just stared at each other. Then with a fussy toss of her snowy head, Hermione launched herself at Ron, throwing her arms around his neck and locking him in a solid kiss. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her back for a long time.

"Yes!" whispered Ginny, though Harry thought he heard her sniffle. He grinned down at her, then impulsively leaned over and kissed her on the forehead.

"Finally," he whispered back, holding in his laughter. He wanted to shout for joy that his two best friends had finally admitted their feelings for each other. There was a time when he may have felt strange about Ron and Hermione going out, but that time had long passed. He knew his friends cared deeply for each other, and he only wished them the best.

The idyllic moment was broken by loud whooping and cheering coming from the porch. Harry turned and saw Ron's four older brothers standing at the door, whistling and clapping. He started to laugh, and Ginny joined him. Hermione and Ron broke apart, Hermione resting her head on Ron's chest; even in the dark Harry could see his friends blushing.

"It's never easy, is it?" muttered Ron. But he still had his arms around Hermione, who was smiling in his embrace.

"Not in this family!" laughed Ginny. She ran up to Ron and Hermione joyfully and gave them each a kiss on the cheek. Harry saw Ron looking at him, and went to clap him on the shoulder, grinning. Then he took Ginny's hand and led her away.

"Don't be long, you two," he called as they walked back toward the house.

"Or we'll send Fred and George out to fetch you!" teased Ginny.

Together they walked back toward the kitchen door, still holding hands. Just before they went back into the house, Harry turned around and saw Ron gently clasping the necklace around Hermione's neck. They kissed again, and walked off into the snowy garden together. Smiling to himself, Harry went inside, thinking that this Christmas was one of the best he could remember. He could only hope for many more, and that they would all turn out so perfect.


* * *


A/N: We all know this scene is coming, because Ron and Hermione are meant for each other. I just hope they get the chance to declare their feelings before it’s too late ” and I hope you enjoy my vision of how it happens.
Thanks so much to my wonderful, patient, hard-working beta, ginnywealsey718. And as always ” to J.K.Rowling for such a beautiful couple.