Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Fatum Amoris...The Fate of Love by Nicole_Riddle

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry it's taken sooooo long, but here's the next chapter!
A/N: Everything except the stuff you don’t recognize belongs to JK Rowling and her utter genius.



The Calm Before the Storm


Patrick was abnormally quiet as the couple left the Malfoy Manor. Being with Medea right after his disastrous dinner was like a salve to the wounds his family had given him. Yet, after hearing what her parents had to tell them, his wounds were opened to fresh pain and doubts.

The Malfoys had been living as social outcasts for over twenty years. He knew that society wouldn’t reject Medea and him like the Malfoys, but his family could. Would they really disown him for the rest of their lives?

“You look so sad,” Medea whispered when the door closed behind them. She didn’t look so happy herself. Seeing her husband look so grim broke her heart. “I wish there was something I could do. I can’t help but feel it’s my””

“Medea,” he cut off before she could finish. “Don’t even think it.” He took her face in his hands and gently kissed the tip of her nose. “I have you and that would make me happy for ten lifetimes.”

She smiled reluctantly, sadness still evident her gooey brown eyes. “But you love your””

This time he cut her off with a kiss and wrapped his arms around her. “Look at your parents, Medea,” he whispered into her hair. “For years they only had each other. Do you think that for one moment that wasn’t enough for them?”

“I know they were happy,” she conceded. “But they did have Aunt Zofia,” she added lightheartedly.

“And we have Hyatt, Odile, and Phaedra, your parents, Hyatt’s parents and all of our friends at school. As a matter of fact, most of the aforementioned persons are throwing a party for us and we aren’t there.”

Medea finally smiled up at him. “I know.” Her smile turned wicked. She stepped away from him and disappeared with pop!

Before they joined their cousins in the cabin, Patrick pulled her to the side of the house that was in shadow and kissed her in a way he only did when they were alone. “I love you. Nothing will ever change that.”

“I love you too,” she repeated, “and nothing will ever change that. But we should go inside now before they think we ran away to Scotland.” She took his hand and pulled him along behind her.

“Not a bad idea actually.”

The door whipped open before they got up the steps of the front porch. “What took you so long?” Odile asked, and not without accusation. “We’re witches; it takes us five minutes to make a party for six people.”

The couple cocked their eyebrows in unison. “Six people, ‘Dile?” Patrick questioned.

She bit her bottom lip coyly, but there was a sparkle in her eyes. “I brought a guest of my own,” she whispered and stepped aside.

There, looking very out of place, and admittedly scared, was Glenn McFaley. “Hi, Medea,” he greeted timidly. “Congratulations?”

Medea ran up to him and gave him warm hug. “Oh, I’m so happy you’re here!”

He smiled nervously and for good reason; he was surrounded by people who had teased him endlessly in school. “Well, Odile told me they were throwing you two an engagement party and that you wanted me to come.”

She smiled at him. He was a little dense when it came to women. “That’s not why she invited you, Glenn,” she whispered so Odile wouldn’t hear.

“What do you mean? Why else would she invite me?” he asked quickly, his green eyes narrowed in confusion.

Her smile widened. “Someday you’ll figure it out.”

Odile was immediately next to them, taking Glenn’s arm and pulling him over to the table. “Some of us haven’t eaten yet, so if everyone could sit down, we’ll eat!”

Patrick’s arm snaked around Medea’s waist and directed her to the table as well. “That would have never happened if it weren’t for you,” he whispered directly into her ear.

She smiled up at him as he pulled out her chair. “I’m glad,” she whispered. “She’s liked him so long; it’s time she stopped teasing him and actually did something about it.”

Before anyone touched the food, Hyatt stood and held up his goblet of butterbeer. They all groaned. “I know, I know,” he laughed. “But I’ve got something to say.”

“Let’s have it,” Medea said with a smile.

“I want to make a toast to you,” he began, looking at the smiling couple. “I take great pride in knowing that I saw this one coming and I’m thrilled that I was right. I’ve never seen either of you so happy and I hope that you continue to grow in happiness.” He lifted his goblet. “To Patrick and Medea!”

“To Patrick and Medea!” everyone repeated and unison.

“Cheers,” Patrick whispered with an uncharacteristic blush. “And thank you for this, too.”

“I was thinking,” Phaedra said after they had all been eating in near silence for some minutes. “We ought to have proper party with our families to announce your engagement.”

Odile’s fork clattered onto her plate and five pairs of eyes slowly stared over at Phaedra. Surely she was joking.

“I know,” she continued quickly. “It sounds like the last thing we should do, but maybe if we get everyone in the same room again…” She shrugged.

“I see where you’re going with that, but you didn’t see them, Phaedra,” Odile whispered. “Especially my father. I doubt he would even get near a party that involved the Malfoys.”

“That’s the thing, we won’t tell them. We’ll just have a party and not tell them the occasion. I know it won’t be pretty, but maybe it would help. They haven’t seen each other or talked to each other in too many years.”


“My parents know,” Medea revealed quietly. “We told them before we came here, so I would be honest with them about a party as well. It would be up to them really because I know it would be very painful for them. But we’ll think about it,” she promised with a smile.

“I can’t ask for more than that. Sorry to ruin the mood,” she apologized lightheartedly.

Hyatt shrugged. “No worries, Glenn here hasn’t even got a clue what we’re talking about.”

A deep red blush crept up Glenn’s cheeks and he quickly looked down to his plate and took another bite. Odile looked at him with obvious and, for once unabashed affection.

They easily fell back into the happy, carefree conversation and banter that was their norm. In fact, even after they were all finished eating they continued to sit and laugh.

Medea, who was sitting directly across from Odile, was silently trying to get her to talk to Glenn…privately. Once she had gotten Odile’s attention she looked at Glenn then looked to the French doors that led to the deck. But Odile just looked at her in confusion.

It had been a very long time since she had used her power and listened to another’s thoughts, but she made an exception. She crossed her arms and subtly tapped her temple, trying to tell Odile she could hear her thoughts.

Can you hear me? Odile thought.

Medea nodded.

What are you trying to tell me?

Medea repeated her eyes movements with wide eyes.

Take Glenn out on the deck?

Another subtle, but more emphatic nod.

Odile’s blue eyes narrowed in confusion. Why?

One of Medea’s pale eyebrows slowly raised in disbelief until Odile’s face registered understanding.

Oh! I get it. Now get out of my head, she added with a smile.

Medea gladly acquiesced.

“Glenn,” Odile whispered, almost nervously. “Would you come outside with me?”

He looked around the table, wondering if he had done or said something wrong. “Er, certainly.”

Ignoring the teasing grins from her family, Odile stood and led the way through the French doors. She stuck her pink tongue out at everyone when she had her back turned to close the door.

“Have I done something wrong?” he asked as soon as the doors were closed. “Have I offended you?”

“No,” she said softly and walked to the rail, looking out over the lake. “Of course not.”

He moved next to her. “Then why are we out here?”

She looked up at him softly. He was a good twenty centimeters taller than her and a little on the skinny side. His sandy blonde hair had a subtle side part and it moved in the breeze over his luminescent green eyes as they looked down at her.

She took a shaky breath and tried to ignore the nervous flutter in her stomach. “I’m not very good at this,” she admitted in an honest whisper. “Ironic, considering I’m part Veela.”

The Veela part tipped him off; that and Medea’s curious, knowing smile when she had said that Odile had invited him for a different reason. She was nervous, too, and few things ever made Odile Weasley nervous. But he would bet that she had never had to work at relationships. She was beautiful, extremely beautiful and other boys had simply fallen at her feet in school.

Even though he finally understood what she was trying to say, he was still just as nervous as she looked. He wasn’t very good at this either.

“I’ve been horrible to you, Glenn, for no good reason other than that I wasn’t used to liking someone who didn’t like me back.”

In one of the bravest moves of his life, Glenn reached out and cupped her cheek. “You never gave me chance,” he whispered.

The feel of his hand on her skin gave her the courage she needed. She grabbed a handful of his shirt and pulled his face down until it was no more than a centimeter from hers. “Here’s your chance,” she whispered and pressed her lips to his.

When they parted, almost a minute later, Odile laughed. “It’s ridiculous how long I’ve wanted to do that.”

His eyes widened. “How long?”

She looked down, suddenly shy again. “Since second year,” she whispered.

He hooked a finger under her chin. “You’re a Gryffindor; you’re supposed to be brave,” he teased.

“And you’re supposed to be smart.”

He chuckled. “Only with magic.”

Odile pushed her arms around his middle and rested her head on his chest. “This is magic,” she breathed as his arms encircled her.

He couldn’t have agreed more.

“Do you know that’s the first time I’ve actually kissed someone?” she said in happy realization.

“I find that hard to believe.”

Her smile widened as she felt the vibrations from his voice against her cheek. “Don’t misunderstand me, boys have kissed me a lot…more than I would like to admit to you, but that was the first time I initiated it.”

His smile matched hers; he understood what she was trying to say. This was different than the relationships she’d had in school. “Does this mean you’re my girlfriend?”

She could have sworn that at that moment she was happier than she ever had been in her entire life. She had dreamed about this for nearly six years but she’d been too stupid and immature to do something about it. Now it was finally happening. “Only if you’ll have me,” she whispered.

Glenn suddenly pulled her away, just far enough so he could hold her face and look her in the eyes. “You have changed so much,” he whispered sincerely. “Do you know that?”

She closed her eyes and nodded. When her eyes opened they were bright with tears. “You didn’t like me, did you?”

“Odile””

“No, it’s okay,” she assured him, looking down. “I barely liked me most of the time.”

“Odile, look at me,” he said firmly. “You’re right; I didn’t for a long time. But this past year I’ve watched you change into the wonderful woman you are now and that woman has been driving me to distraction.”

Her smile returned and her heart swelled with happiness. “Does that mean you’ll have me then?”

He pulled her back into his chest and rested his chin on her silky hair. “I have you now and I don’t intend to let go.”

Four pairs of eyes were glued to the solid glass French doors.

“Looks like it’s going well,” Phaedra laughed. “Medea, what are they saying?”

“I’m not listening!” she exclaimed with wide eyes. “Honestly! It’s bad enough we’re watching!”

“We’re just concerned for Odile’s emotional welfare,” Hyatt defended.

Patrick snorted. “You’re diluted.”
Chapter Endnotes: A/N: I feel I must apologize for this extremely self-indulgent chapter, but I really wanted to expound upon the Odile/Glenn subplot (note chapter 3). Still, I hope you liked it, even if it was a bit fluffy.