Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Fatum Amoris...The Fate of Love by Nicole_Riddle

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Again, this chapter is submitted out of order, sorry.
~Nicole
A/N: Everything, except the stuff you don’t recognize, belongs to JK Rowling and her utter genius.

The Potter Problem

Medea practically skipped down the corridor for her first Legilimens lesson of her sixth year. She could remember her first lesson like it was yesterday. She’d been so nervous until she had met her teacher…

Medea bit her lips nervously as she walked into the classroom to meet her new Legilimency tutor. But her fears were put to rest when she saw the long, red braid of her new teacher. “Aunt Zofia?” she asked in astonishment.

Zofia whipped around with wide, green eyes. “Medea? You’re my student?”

“Yes, you’re a Legilimens too?”

“Yes,” Zofia laughed. “Shall we begin?”

“Wow, I didn’t even know! Do my parents know?” Medea couldn’t focus on the task at hand.

“Yes, now we need to begin. Come on, McGonagall tells me my first order of business should be teaching you to block out other’s thoughts. So let’s get to it.”


Medea had never been nervous since that day, and now she only read what she wanted to read. And that included the Weasley’s. A sudden frown came to her normally happy lips at the thought as she entered the classroom.

“Medea?” Zofia immediately asked. “Is something wrong?”

“Not really, I was just thinking about Potter and his cousins.” She sat down across from her aunt with a frustrated sigh.

“Not as noble as his father was at that age, is he?” Zofia inquired with a small chuckle.

Her student’s brown eyes widened exasperatedly. “Not one bit! I’ve taken ten points from him already, and I go in increments of five! Plus, they all have detention from me.”

“In the first week?”

“No! That was just on the train here!” Medea exclaimed.

Zofia smiled. She knew they couldn’t really help it; trouble making was in their DNA. “Come on, Medea, let’s get to the lesson. We’ll talk later.”

* * * *

Out of the corner of his eye, Patrick could see Malfoy looking over at them; they’d be staying in bed tonight. The term had been in session for a month and she had foiled every attempt they’d made at some nocturnal fun. It was just like last year. She was a freakishly good Prefect because of her gift. Too bad she wasn’t on their side…

Giving into a sudden ornery whim, Patrick looked directly at her and thought the most unsavory thought her could…about her. Her reaction was quite worth the traumatizing thought. Her jaw fell open and her pale cheeks slowly turned rosy pink. It was the first time he ever wondered what she was thinking.

“Ahg! That girl!” Odile exclaimed from his side.

“What?” Hyatt asked, lost as usual.

“Malfoy! She’s looking over here,” Phaedra clarified and crossed her arms. “I thought she was supposed to in lessons.”

Both boys rolled their eyes simultaneously.

Odile glared in the pale Prefect’s direction. “I’ve a right mind to announce her”condition”to the whole school.”

“Are you really that thick?” Hyatt asked. “Now I don’t think Malfoy is the devil but she could make your life hell if you told.”

“All she can do is read my mind, and she does that anyway. Why shouldn’t I tell?”

“Honestly,” Patrick sighed irritably. “Do you want her to tell everyone everything you think? For instance, Odile, would you want her to announce the fact that you’ve secretly had a crush on Glenn the Geek since second””

Odile’s green eyes widened. “Oi! How did you””

“See, you don’t even want me to know, so think about that next time you get the urge to tell, okay?”

She glared at him. “I bet you’re cahoots with her!”

Patrick ignored her. “Don’t fault her for doing her job well.”

“Go away!” Phaedra spat.

The boys decided to do just that. Their important homework was finished and they certainly didn’t like being around the girls when they were testy. They passed the object of their conversation as they went to their dormitory. He caught her eyes and held them, telling her that she had nothing to worry about from the two of them. She looked him up and down with an unreadable expression then went back to her work.

* * * *

Half way through and the year had been going great. Gryffindor was undefeated and well on their way to another Quidditch Cup, and they were also ahead in points by a good margin. Things were looking good. Even the Weasleys were on their best behavior.

But somehow Medea just knew it wouldn’t last, and it didn’t. The group had learned to scheme and execute before they ever came in contact with her. Only, with this new tactic, their schemes were less thought out and they got caught and stopped earlier than usual. But not by Medea so even more points were taken from Gryffindor and steadily losing their lead.

Expect today. See left the library earlier than usual and ran straight into Patrick, and he was up to something. “Potter!”

“Sorry, I didn’t do it on purpose,” he defended.

“You’re planning something,” she whispered, furiously searching his thoughts. “Please, don’t””

Suddenly his mien changed; he was angry. He inquired harshly, “Does privacy mean anything you?”

“Stopping you is my job!” she returned. “You’re so selfish; don’t you realize that you’re hurting your whole house when you do this? You should be happy I catch you because I don’t take as many points! We’re going to lose if you don’t stop.”

Her logic was so thorough that he couldn’t think of any possible response that wouldn’t sound stupid. So he just stared down at her, seething.

“Just stop. Please, I am begging you! Just stop,” she whispered emphatically.

He could see the pleading in her brown eyes and somewhere deep in his soul a chord was struck without him knowing. She was finally starting to affect change in him. “Fine,” he practically spat. “You won’t hear a peep.”

And she didn’t.

* * * *

The next time Medea had a lesson she entered the room with a smile on her face. And her aunt noticed. “You look happy today.”

“I am happy today, life is”getting better,” she confirmed with a smile and a nod.

“Oh, is it about a boy?” Zofia asked in her happy aunt voice.

“In a way,” Medea evaded.

“I won’t tell your mum if that’s what you’re afraid of.”

“It’s nothing, really. I just”I think that my Potter problem it fixed.”

But the next school year would bring another Potter problem that she could never have imagined possible.