Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

It's a Part of You Now by HarryPotter is my LIFE

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to my wonderful beta, Lurid!
Hermione awoke with a blasting headache. She looked around the unfamiliar room and immediately disliked it.

The bleak room had walls of stone and smelled strongly of mould. The smell came from the mould that Hermione could see beginning to grow in the corners. The only furnishing in the room was a mat on the floor. An uninviting straw mat.


The door in the room was of a heavy oak and was open a crack. Hermione’s crouched position on the floor was uncomfortable and the discomfort only increased when she stood. She gingerly walked towards the door and peered out the crack. She glimpsed a swish of black cloak as it turned the corner. Whoever the person was, they had black hair. Greasy black hair.


The previous events came back to Hermione in a flash. Ron’s arms around her, Snape taking her, and then being hit in the head. For the first time Hermione noticed a plate of food in the room. As disgusted as she was by the place, she was starving and welcomed food.


“I wouldn’t do that if I was you,” said a voice of warning.


Hermione whipped around to see Draco Malfoy standing in the doorway.


“And just why not, you horrible wretch?” asked Hermione defiantly.


“Because it’s poisoned,” answered Draco.


“And why should I believe you? You never liked me, it was probably your idea for Snape to take me in the first place, and now you want me to starve,” spat Hermione.


“Do as you please,” drawled Draco, “I was only trying to help.”


Before Hermione could reply he was gone. Idiot thought Hermione bitterly. She turned eagerly to her food, ready to take a bite when she stopped. The food smelt rather odd. Lifting the plate to her nose she pulled away. It definitely smelt funny. Was it possible that Draco was telling the truth?


The clink of glass on stone caused Hermione to turn. She saw another plate of food sitting by the door. She walked across the bleak room and picked up the food, it smelt normal. Did that make it safe to eat?

“That’s safe, I swear,” said Draco.


Hermione startled. “You scared me.”


“Sorry,” answered Draco sincerely.


Draco watched in surprise as Hermione greedily dug into the chicken and potatoes on her plate. But then again, he should have expected it. She had been out for two days. He silently left and returned with another plate of food. With the last of the first plates’ food still in her mouth she yanked the second plate from Draco’s hands.


Draco surprise had turned to amusement at seeing the perfect, prim Hermione Granger eating her food like Ronald Weasley. Actually, he thought. She was worse.


When Hermione was had finally finished her meal, she looked up to thank Draco but he was gone.


That’s odd. Why does he keep disappearing? wondered Hermione. Now that she was comfortably full, she didn’t know what to do. She certainly wasn’t tired, and there was nothing to do in this empty room.


My wand thought Hermione excitedly. But when she reached into her pocket, she found it not there. Falling back into despair Hermione tried Disapparating, but nothing. Not that she had actually thought it was going to work. With nothing to do Hermione sat on the prickly straw mat and stared at the gray ceiling.


***


Back at the Potter’s mansion, Ginny was frantic. Hermione was her best friend and she was missing. The only comfort was her two wonderful children Lily and Arthur. Arthur had raven colored hair just like his father, but Lily’s was a mystery. Lily’s hair was also the same color as her father’s, but she had absurd highlights in it. Contrasting the dark hair of her father, she had streaks of her mother’s bright red Weasley hair.


Flames burst in the fireplace and Ginny hurried over to greet Harry and Ron who were returning from the ministry. They had been there most of the time the past few days looking for any information that could lead them to Snape.


All Ginny knew was that she would not feel a bit sorry for Snape when Ron caught up with him. He deserved all the pain Ron would cause him; hopefully Hermione would be able to send a spell or two in Snape’s direction.


“Well, what did you find?” prodded Ginny.


“There have been various sighting of Snape around Britain, but no one’s seen him long enough to capture him. Another troubling fact is that he seems to have possession of an Invisibility Cloak, meaning he can be anywhere, even right next to us, and we won’t know.”


Harry was right, that was a troubling fact. But something in the back of Ginny’s head told her that she wouldn’t need to worry.


He’s seeking revenge on Hermione for what happened that day at the Final Battle. concluded Ginny.


***


As Hermione slept away the days, food would continue to appear. She presumed it was the food that Snape put out so she didn’t touch it. Each time Malfoy would stop by and leave her a safe plate of food, taking the tainted plate back with him.


Sometimes Draco would come and talk to her. Hermione asked Malfoy many questions. Some he answered, some he didn’t dare.


Hermione enjoyed talking with Draco. She could tell that he had honestly changed since they were younger. Though she could never forgive him, she went as far to call Draco her friend. It was also a plus that he had discontinued his calling her ‘Granger’ and ‘Mudblood’ though; those are always expected of friends. When she told Draco that she would like it if they could be friends, he was happy; happy enough to confess that in his life, he had never had a true friend besides her.


Through Draco, Hermione was able to learn about her surroundings. The place she was in was the remnants of Malfoy Manor. The old rundown building had been destroyed during the second war in the same fire than Draco lost his parents in. Snape had set out to kill Hermione... though she already knew this and the reason why, too. Draco also explained about the magically locked safe that Hermione’s wand was being kept in.


Every time he thought he wouldn’t be missed, Draco would sneak his way to the safe and work on breaking all the spells holding it closed. Draco unveiled to Hermione that he was close. The handle is starting to move. Hermione squealed at the wonderful news, quickly quieting at Draco’s hand over her mouth.


“Do you want him to hear you?” demanded Draco angrily.


Hermione shook her head, terrified that the old Malfoy seemed to be shining through.


“I’m so sorry Hermione,” apologised Draco once he saw the fear in her eyes. “It’s just that if Snape comes in here, then we’ll both be dead.”


Meanwhile, Snape was growing increasingly furious. He couldn’t figure out why she wasn’t dying. His brilliant plan was falling apart. His plan to put her through a slow and painful death using a watered down poison wasn’t working. Somehow the poison wasn’t affecting her. He didn’t see how though. Three times a day he would leave her food while she slept. Later he would come back to retrieve an empty plate. The woman was wand less, she couldn’t make it disappear, there was no where to hide it in the empty room... so why wasn’t she dead?


Many would have thought Snape would have just given up. Given up and moved onto the next unlucky victim. But Hermione Granger wasn’t chosen at random. He waited at the graveyard many days,. waiting for the perfect time. Many would have thought he would have taken Harry, but he didn’t.


He took Hermione Jane Granger for one single reason.


She was the reason that he no longer had any legs.