Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Meet Mrs. Norris by loligo8me

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Meet Mrs. Norris




Argus Filch searched the corridors of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for the very first time. It was an eye-opening experience as he had never laid eyes on something so grand, so ancient. The ceilings spanned so high above him that he could not even see the spider webs with his penetrating, blue eyes. Yes, young Argus Filch could not help but feel unnerved by the sights before him. His vision was sharp, as was his hearing, but when it came to Hogwarts, things seemed hidden from him. And it was this that drove the young Squib to accept the job of school caretaker.

But then the new school year arrived. Hogwarts was spotless and Argus felt so proud about his work that at the first dinner, he even managed to forget his usual bitterness and smiled. Unfortunately this was short-lived. Within a week, Hogwarts returned to a loud and messy state. Rubbish was scattered equally around the school grounds, doors had fingerprints and grime all over them and toilets had graffiti on their mirrors, not to mention wet toilet paper that had been hurled at the ceiling.

The caretaker was practically tearing his hair out by then. He was always seen muttering to himself and eyeing students suspiciously. Cleaning up after students took up most of his time and he was seldom seen during meal times. And walking through the ancient corridors was no longer an eye-opening, serene experience as it had been the first time. However, catching students out of curfew gave him immense pleasure. They could swish their wands as much as they wanted but they nevertheless feared Mr. Filch, the caretaker. They avoided him like the plague and the caretaker did not mind at all. In fact he found it rather refreshing.

Two weeks in to his job, however, Argus found himself longingly looking forward to Summer holidays where he could spend his days away from dirty little fingers and their owners’ nasty little faces. Perhaps if he found someone who understood him, someone who cared and did not avoid him and instead helped him control those nasty little magical children, his life during the school year would be more enjoyable.

Albus Dumbledore had sensed Argus’ need for a companion. It was at Christmas “ the caretaker’s favourite time of the school year as most students were far, far away from him “ that the Headmaster decided a nice present was in order. At the Christmas feast, Dumbledore suddenly placed a large box wrapped in a thick, red and green ribbon on the table.

“Happy Christmas, Argus. I do hope you like this present as much as it will like you,” he said happily as he gently pushed the box towards the amazed and curious caretaker. Faint scratching was coming from the inside, causing some of the teachers and remaining students to wonder what on Earth Dumbledore considered to be an appropriate present.

“I think it’s a Blast-Ended Skrewt!” said a third year Ravenclaw.

“Don’t be silly,” snapped Professor Mcgonagall who nevertheless eyed the box suspiciously. “Professor Dumbledore would never give such a creature as a present.”

“Open it, Argus!” said Hagrid eagerly. Cautiously Argus Filch untied the large red and green bow and slid open the lid. A small, slightly ruffled kitten looked up at him, meowing weakly. He simply stared at it for a moment.

“I believe you need a familiar, Argus. This poor creature had rather cruel owners. It was lucky that I found her. Madam Pomfrey helped patch her up and I trust you will make her feel at home here at Hogwarts.” The old Headmaster smiled as Argus lifted his new companion gently out of the box. He held it up and stared at the little kitten whose strange, red eyes stared back.

“Meow.”

“Dumbledore, I... erm... Thank you, Albus.”

“It is a pleasure to see you so wonderfully bewildered “ ”

“Aw! She’s adorable, she is!” shouted Hagrid as his index finger lightly stroked the kitten’s head, causing it to bob up and down. “What will you name 'er, Argus?”

The caretaker simply blinked. His eyes were still locked with the cat’s and he felt that somehow the two had reached an understanding. It felt strange, almost surreal. But there was something about this cat; something about her wise, red eyes and her wild brown fur that made her very, very special. “Mrs. Norris,” he whispered and immediately the cat responded by meowing back.

“Well,” began Dumbledore happily, “I think you two have an accord.”

“You will help me, won’t you, Mrs. Norris?” Argus asked the kitten as he placed her gently on the table. She meowed again and snuggled her little head against his hand.

In the days that passed, the two were inseparable. Mrs. Norris followed the caretaker everywhere and he told her everything he knew. He showed her all the corridors, classrooms and even the secret passageways. And gradually, Mrs. Norris’ reputation among the students as a lovable little kitten was replaced with that of a sneaky, shrewd creature who had it in for students. She, like her new master, seemed to enjoy catching students breaking the rules. But unlike her master, she seemed to come out of nowhere. She was silent and nimble and whenever she found a naughty little student, Argus Filch seemed to sense it and was at the scene of the crime in no time.

The teachers too were unnerved by the cat’s knowing stare. And even Hagrid said she was ‘an odd one’ on more than one occasion. They avoided her if they could. However that was difficult as she followed her master to every meal. She even ate underneath the staff table, by his feet.

Argus, however, was happier than he had ever been. Those nasty little children still annoyed him, and he spent most of his waking life writing new rules for Dumbledore to look at, or cleaning up after those little monsters. But now he had a companion; a companion who understood him, saw right through him, and trusted him. They had an understanding, and the caretaker was lonely no longer. He was happy, and at times he would even smile, albeit wickedly.