Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Multicolored Bloom of Possibility by self named harry potter freak

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter four: The First Day of Spring

“I need to talk to Hermione,” said Harry when Ron answered the door.

“Harry, it’s late. Can’t you talk to her in the morning?”

Harry wordlessly handed Ron the note and watched his friend’s face dawn with comprehension.

“She’s asleep, but I don’t think she’ll mind being woken up.”

Ron beckoned Harry inside and into a chair, and then crossed to the bedroom to get Hermione.

Harry heard muffled yells of indignation and cries of wanting more sleep. Apparently Hermione did mind being woken up.

Grudgingly, Hermione stumbled half-asleep out of the bedroom. Her hair was a mess, and her eyes had huge bags under them, but otherwise Hermione was the same as ever. Pink bunny-slippered feet carried the sleep-deprived woman to a chair across from Harry, where she gladly accepted coffee from Ron.

“I read the letter,” said Hermione, now almost fully conscious, as she pulled a piece of parchment from her robe pocket and handed it to Harry.

“I need help. I need ideas.”

“Mate, I personally didn’t think that she was even going to give you a chance,” said Ron, pulling up a chair. “You need all the help you can get to win her over.”

“I know,” said Harry softly. “I didn’t think I’d get another chance either. I don’t want to mess this up. I can’t mess this up. I can’t lose her again.”

“Let’s get started then,” said Hermione, summoning a piece of parchment, quill and pot of ink. Only when Hermione refilled the half-empty pot all the way to the top did Harry realize how long of a night he was in for.

******************************************************************************

Harry sat with his chin in his hands staring at the foot long list Hermione had made. She had suggested that he start small and build up to the big finale at the end of the week, and he had taken that advice to heart. He had meticulously planned out events for every day, and only hoped that it would be enough.

Harry glanced at his watch. It was 9:30 am. Ginny should be up by now, he thought, and he began to prepare his first surprise.

Knock, Knock, Knock, he tapped on Ginny’s door. When no one answered, he pounded harder.

A beady-eyed Ginny opened the door and looked accusingly at Harry. “Waddya want?”

“Hi, Ginny,” said Harry uncertainly.

“What did you wake me up for?”

“I thought that you’d be awake by now.”

“I sleep ‘till eleven if I can on days without Quidditch practice.”

“Oh,” said Harry, feeling stupid for not asking Hermione what time she slept until and curious as to why she would need so much sleep. “Well, here. I brought you flowers.” He handed her a large bouquet of orange flowers and hoped it would be enough to make up for waking her up.

“Calendulas?” Ginny asked.

“I saw them in a patch by Hagrid’s hut while we were still at school, and thought they were pretty,” explained Harry.

“Did you think about the fact that they’re the Death Flower?” asked Ginny evenly.

Harry paled. “I didn’t know that.”

“Remember it for future reference.”

“I brought you some chocolate,” he said, giving her the box and hoping to make amends.

Ginny inspected the contents with a raised eyebrow. “Do you know how many calories are in chocolate?”

“No… I’m guessing that there’s a lot, though.”

“Good, Potter. Calories mean fat, and neither you nor I want me to get fat.”

“I’ll be right back,” said Harry. He turned around and ran straight into Mark.

“Excuse me,” said Mark as he sidestepped Harry’s glare and headed for Ginny. “I got you some flowers.”

“Lavenders,” said Ginny, embracing the purple bunch. “Purity, silence-“

“And luck,” Mark finished.

Ginny looked at him approvingly for knowing his flowers, and Harry rolled his eyes from his spot across the hall.

“I also got you these,” Mark said, producing perfectly ripe strawberries from behind his back.

“They’re perfect, Mark,” said Ginny. She enveloped Mark into a giant hug, causing him to flush with embarrassment and Harry to flush with anger. Harry turned on his heel and walked straight into Ron and Hermione’s room.

“You didn’t tell me that candelas were the death flower!” fired Harry at Hermione who was reading on the couch.

“Well, you didn’t tell me what kind of flowers you were getting her!” Hermione fired right back.

Harry thought about it for a second and blushed with realization.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you, Hermione. I’m mad at myself for botching this up, and I’m taking it out on you.”

“It’s all right. Have a seat and tell me about it.”

Harry recanted the flower fiasco, but when he got to Ginny’s reaction over the chocolate, Hermione began to wonder if Ginny was making things hard for Harry on purpose. She made a mental note to ask Ginny about it later.

“Wait,” said Harry, having a sudden brainwave. “I think I have an idea.”

Harry jumped over the back of the couch and was at the door before Hermione could even blink.

Will he ever learn? thought Hermione as the door closed behind Harry.

A few seconds later the door opened again. Ginny slowly peeked her head inside to gauge Hermione’s mood after Harry’s visit. Finding her friend exasperated, but not mad, she entered.

“Hey,” said Hermione with a searching gaze and tone.

“What?” asked Ginny, who was feeling very uncomfortable under Hermione’s unwavering gaze.

“Are you just playing with Harry? Is this all just a game to you?”

“Of course not!”

Hermione didn’t look convinced.

“Okay, I am stringing him along a bit,” admitted Ginny. “But I really want to know how far he’s willing to go to make up for his mistakes.”

“Mark is in on it, isn’t he?”

“Yes.”

Hermione let out a long breath. “It’s brilliant.”

Ginny looked up, shocked. She had expected Hermione to chastise her for this, not applaud her. “Seriously?”

“Seriously. It’s like something I would come up with: A true test of character.”

“Thanks,” said Ginny, standing up and taking her leave. Once she was inside her own flat, she sat down and waited for Harry to return.

Within a few moments there was a knock on her door. Ginny opened the door to reveal a smiling Harry.

“Here,” he said, handing her a box. She read the label and was appalled. He’d gotten her low-fat chocolate.

“Oh, so you think I’m fat now?” asked Ginny in a deadly low voice.

“That’s not what I-“

“You know what? You can take your low-fat chocolate and shove it, Potter!”

Ginny slammed the door in his face. Harry was speechless for a moment, but quickly recovered his voice. “Ginny, open the door. Please.”

Ginny was struggling to retain her laughter. He was so hopeless. Ginny thought that she should be up for a BAFTA award for her performance. Slowly, she creaked open the door.

“Ginny, come with me. I want to show you something.”

“Fine,” she replied unenthusiastically as she exited her flat.

Harry reached for her hand, but she pulled away. Harry frowned, but realized that it was too soon for that.

Ginny was in turmoil. She wanted to hold Harry’s hand so badly. She wanted to touch him again and to feel the pleasant jolt in her stomach. She wanted him to hold her and whisper scandalous innuendos in her ear like when they were playing around at Hogwarts. Then her brain would remind her of what he did, her resolve would strengthen, and she would pull away.

“Where are you taking me?”

“We’re almost there. Don’t be so impatient,” he joked.

Harry strode ahead and held the door open for her as they exited the building. Ginny nodded in thanks. She was surprised, however, when Harry didn’t call a magical taxi, but rather preceded around the back of the building.

Ginny followed and was caught off guard by the blinding flashes of light.

A mini-amusement park had been set up behind the building. Millions of colored lights blinked and flashed from everywhere, and the distant melody of a carousel could be heard.

“Harry…” Ginny trailed off, amazed at the sight.

“Have you ever been on a rollercoaster before?”

Ginny shook her head and Harry led the way to a giant steel structure in the center of the carnival. Ginny tilted her head up so that she could gaze at the monster before her.

“Are you coming?”

Ginny gingerly stepped into the car. Within seconds of her seatbelt being buckled the car started forward around a corner and slowly up a large hill.

“Put your hands up, Ginny,” prompted Harry as their car clicked up the hill.

“No! Are you insane?” she indignantly replied.

“I like to think that I’m not, but you may consider me otherwise.”

Ginny laughed and looked down at the ground below her. Everything was so tiny. “Wow.”

“We’re almost at the top. Put your hands up.”

“Fine,” Ginny said, lifting her hands into the air. “But if I fall out, it’s your fault, Potter.”

The car reached the top of the hill and slowly went over the side, gaining speed all the while. When the last car cleared the hump, the train was sent careening down the mountain of steel.

“Ahhhhh!” screamed Ginny, exhilarated.

The ride took a sharp right bank, sending Ginny barreling into Harry’s side. They both started laughing with joy and excitement. The car then took a left turn, throwing Harry on top of Ginny.

“Oof!” said Ginny as Harry’s weight shoved her into the side of the car. Harry pushed himself away, laughing at her indignant expression until she was again sent sliding into him. Their faces turned toward each other, and for a moment it appeared as if the force of the turn would make their lips accidentally touch.

Oh, Merlin. Help me. I want to kiss him, I want to hold him, I want him, Ginny thought within a few milliseconds.

At the last moment, Ginny focused all her energy on forcing herself away. With mere millimeters between their lips, Ginny pulled back.

I want him bad, but I’m not ready for him yet.

The ride slowly rolled into the station, and Harry climbed out of the car. He couldn’t pretend that he wasn’t disappointed, but in retrospect, he knew that it was better for the relationship this way.

Harry held his hand out to help Ginny out of the car. Ginny took it and was surprised by how warm his hand was… and how warm her face had become.

“Are you hungry?” Harry asked.

Ginny nodded and walked with Harry through the festival until they reached a small snack stand.

“What would you like, Miss,” said Harry, climbing behind the counter and playing the part of the vender.

“Surprise me.”

Harry winked at Ginny and went to the back of the stand. When he emerged, he was carrying a gigantic bag of pink sugar. Ginny watched, fascinated, as he poured the entire bag into a metal machine.

When pink fluff started to appear at the edges of the machine, Harry took a paper cone and twirled it until it looked like a pink ice cream cone.

“What is this?” asked Ginny when Harry handed her the cone.

“Cotton candy. The muggle version is full of calories, but with the chocolate incident I decided to go with zero calorie sugar and a few charms to make it not taste like chemicals.”

Ginny debated for a second whether or not to tell him that the chocolate thing was exaggerated, but in the end decided to keep that little secret to herself.

Ginny took a bite of the candy. Harry laughed when her eyes got as round as baseballs. “This is amazing! Pure sugar. Brilliant!”

“You think that that’s something, you should try funnel cake.”

“I have my doubts that anything could beat this. You give it your best shot, Potter.”

Harry began assembling the needed ingredients and putting them together. Harry took the cake out of the oil just as Ginny finished her last bit of fluff.

Harry prompted Ginny for a topping. “Whipped cream? Strawberries? Blueberries?”

“I really don’t know what’s good. How do you usually have it?”

Harry smiled and pulled out a gigantic can of whipped cream. Once the cake had disappeared beneath the cream, he added a light dusting of powdered sugar.

“Enjoy,” he said, passing the plate to her. Ginny took it to a table a short ways away near the carousel. Harry arrived with forks a few seconds later and sat across from Ginny.

“What do you think?”

“I didn’t think that anything could beat that pink-fluff stuff, but this does the trick.” Ginny took another bite and groaned happily. “Yummm…”

“I’m glad you approve,” said Harry, taking a bite of his own. He looked up and saw Ginny’s gaze fixed at a point just above his left shoulder. He turned and saw the many twinkling and flashing lights of the carousel.

“You really are Ron’s sister,” Harry joked. Seeing her eyes still glued to the glittery ride, he asked, “Do you want to ride on the carousel?”

Ginny nodded and ran for the ride. A few strides away she doubled back, grabbed the funnel cake, and raced for the ride.

Harry laughed at her antics and followed her to the ride. When he arrived, he saw Ginny trying to mount the tallest horse on the ride. Try as she might, her feisty nature couldn’t make up for her short stature.

Harry took pity on her after a minute of laughing silently and went to help her up. At the touch of his hands on her waist Ginny yelped, but quieted almost immediately once she realized that it was only Harry.

“Thanks,” she said as he gently placed her on her steed.

“No problem,” he said as he climbed onto his own, shorter, horse beside her and started the ride.

Ginny enjoyed the ride. First her horse was higher and then Harry’s would be taller, and on and on the cycle went with two people going in a circle, eating funnel cake without a care in the world.

Soon the ride came to an end.

Ginny slid off her horse and made short work of the last of the funnel cake, depositing the plate in the rubbish bin as Harry caught up to her.

“We’d better get back,” said Harry as the sun set. “We have Quidditch tomorrow.”

Ginny was about to protest, but with one last longing look at the carnival, she agreed with Harry.

The pair walked silently around the building, mounted the stairs, and before they knew it, they were in front of Ginny’s flat.

“Good night,” Ginny whispered as she closed her door, but not before she had one last look at Harry.

At the snap of the shutting door, Harry let out a long sigh. He felt as if he’d made some progress with Ginny, he could see it in her eyes, but things were still moving too slowly. Patience is a virtue, he reminded himself. His conscience was right. He needed to take things slow… for Ginny’s sake.

Sighing again Harry made his way, not to the room behind him, but to the plain wall to the left of Ginny’s door. With a sense of purpose a bystander might have taken for insanity, he closed his eyes and walked straight into the wall.

If anyone had been in that hall that night, they would have seen Harry, not rebound off the plaster, but disappear through the barrier.

Harry, on the other hand, had expected the easy access to his project. In front of him was not plumbing, but a cozy place one might mistake for the Gryffindor common room. Cushy couches created a cozy corner in front of the fireplace, and plump pillows and poufs littered the floor.

Harry looked proudly about the room. He had been slaving away on it for only a day, but already Ginny’s personal Room of Requirement was coming together nicely. Silently Harry thought about a nice glass of lemonade. On a table near him a glass appeared with the desired beverage.

Harry took a sip and spat out the drink with disgust. Much too sour, he thought, and settled in to make the needed adjustments. He wouldn’t be working for long, though. At ten that night, he retired to his room. He had Quidditch practice tomorrow and wanted to be well rested, so as to make it one of Ginny’s most memorable practices ever.

******************************************************************************

The first day of spring ended in a whirl of color, and the bloom was glad that it had arrived. Basking in its warm glow, the bloom stood up straighter, turned greener, and looked healthier than it had in two years. The first day of spring had been good for the bloom, and as Ginny lay wide awake in her bed, she anxiously wondered about what tomorrow would bring.


A/n: And all the people to than for this chapter! First off, crystal phoenix suggested that Harry turn to Hermione for advice, so let’s give a big thanks to her. Next Potcgirl_1337 from the forums gave me the flower mix-up and chocolate idea, which fit perfectly here: thanks! And the amusement park idea came from a reviewer named HP_POTC. Thanks to you all, and I hope I didn’t disappoint!

Next Chapter’s title: The flower’s petals