Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Where We Go from Here by Accio_Brain

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A loud crack pierced the otherwise silent night. It was soon followed by a smaller, softer pop. Two figures robed in black stood side by side in front of a small, rundown house badly in need of attention. The slighter figure was shaking from head to toe; the taller wore an expression of fury and loathing.

“Get inside,” Snape muttered, grabbing Draco by the arm and pulling him roughly into the house.

Draco looked around at the small, modest room lined with books. He tried to hide his disdain as he noticed holes in the furniture and the dust blanketing the room, but he was sure Snape had seen nevertheless.

“Do you live here?” Draco asked, his voice shaking slightly.

Snape glared at him briefly. “Yes. I will return momentarily. Stay here.” Snape’s black eyes bore into Draco’s and Draco knew he would be a fool to disobey him now.

Draco sat on a threadbare armchair and put his head in his hands. What have I done? he thought as he watched a small spider scamper across the room. The image of Dumbledore being hurled from the tower kept playing over and over again in his mind like a Muggle film.

As he closed his eyes, he tried to forget what Dumbledore had said. He would have helped you, a voice inside said. I had no choice, screamed another.

Draco wondered what was to happen to him. The Dark Lord would surely be pleased that Dumbledore was dead, but Draco was supposed to kill him, not Snape. Draco felt a lump rise in his throat as he thought about his mother. He imagined the Dark Lord killing her in front of him, laughing.

Draco jumped up as Snape returned. “Here,” Snape said, handing Draco a small bag. “There are some Muggle clothes for you to wear and some food. It should be enough for the journey.”

“Journey? Where am I going?” Draco said, feeling tears start to sting his eyes. He blinked them away, not wanting Snape to see his weakness.

Snape looked agitated. “You cannot stay here. The Dark Lord will be looking for you. He will kill you, Draco, when he finds out what has happened. You must leave.”

“But, my mother--”

“Your mother will be fine. I will make sure of it.” Snape pulled out a handful of Galleons from inside his robes. “Take these.”

“Sir, I have money,” Draco said, staring down at the pitiful amount Snape was offering. He suspected it was more than he could afford to part with.

“Take it,” Snape snarled, pressing the coins into Draco’s hand. “Listen carefully. You must leave immediately. Apparate to London. From there you will take a train to this location.” Snape handed Draco a folded piece of parchment.

Draco glanced down at the parchment. It was an address. “Manchester?”

“Yes. You will be well hidden there. The house has been placed under the Fidelius Charm. No one will be able to see it but you.”

“But who lives there, Professor?”

Snape looked away. “My mother.” There was a brief pause during which Snape’s face was unreadable. Then he continued, “You must go now. They will be coming for you soon.”

Draco nodded. “Thank--“

Snape held up a hand to silence him. He rushed to the window, pulled back the curtains slightly, and peered out into the darkness. “Someone’s coming. Go. Out the back. Now!”

Draco nodded and quickly made his way to the back door. Once outside, he took a deep breath and Disapparated.

Snape stared after him for a moment and then drew his wand. Cautiously, he opened the front door and peered outside. A figure in dark robes was coming down the street. As it came closer, he recognized it.

“Narcissa,” he hissed as she arrived on his doorstep, “what are you doing here?”

Narcissa was shaking and her eyes welled up with tears. “Is he here? Is he all right?”

“Get inside,” Snape snarled.

Narcissa entered and Snape shut the door behind her and warded it silently with his wand.

“I heard what happened. Thank you, Severus,” she sobbed. She reached up to embrace him but he caught her by her wrists and pushed her away.

“Don’t,” he said in a dangerous voice.

Narcissa looked stricken. “I’m sorry. I’m just grateful to you. You saved my son’s life.”

“Don’t thank me,” Snape sneered. “I did not do it for you or Draco. I did it for the Dark Lord.”

“Of--of course,” Narcissa stammered. She paused for a moment and then said, “Is Draco all right?”

“I do not know,” Snape lied. “While I was fighting Potter, he Disapparated. I do not know where he has gone.”

Narcissa wept and covered her face with her hands. “He has to be all right. He has to be.”

“Draco can take care of himself,” he said dismissively. “He knows the Dark Lord’s anger. He will not be foolish enough to stay.”

“Severus, you must help me find him,” she pleaded. “I have to know if he’s all right.”

“I will do no such thing. I have fulfilled my vow to you. If you want to find Draco, by all means, look for him yourself.”

Narcissa glared up at Snape. “I will find him. I don’t need your help.” She gathered up her robes and swept silently to the door. Snape removed the wards with a wave of his wand.

“Goodbye Severus,” she said coldly.

“Narcissa.” Snape nodded curtly.

She threw open the door and marched determinedly down the street. A few seconds later Snape heard a loud crack and knew that she was gone.

Snape exhaled and collapsed onto the sofa, rubbing his eyes. Damn you, Albus. He knew he could not stay in this house much longer. Although the Aurors did not know of it, the Order certainly did and they would all be looking for him by now.

He smiled wryly. Well, Potter, you were right about me all along, weren’t you?

Snape winced as his Dark Mark burned black. It was time. He rose and quickly left the house. He felt his chest contract as he spent one last moment recalling the look in those wise blue eyes and the pleading in his voice… Severus…please…

He cursed himself for being so indulgent. He pushed away all memory of Dumbledore, took one last look at his house, and Disapparated.